Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Noice.

I really like how the steam sort of mirrors the hill in opposite tone and direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Mono Lake by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
DSCF0399.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Huh, I was just out there last week. You go through Yosemite?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

zeroprime posted:

Huh, I was just out there last week. You go through Yosemite?

Yeah I was in that area for five days. Stayed in Yosemite a couple nights, and then a couple nights in Mammoth Lakes.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Spider Bug by Tom Olson, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Power Plant by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Would a polarizer help with shots like the one below where anything in the distance is a bit hazy and has a pronounced blue tint?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

InternetJunky posted:

Would a polarizer help with shots like the one below where anything in the distance is a bit hazy and has a pronounced blue tint?

Nope, that's diffusion caused by moisture in the air. Really cold weather helps to cut that down.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

An ND grad would be my first choice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judicious use of the haze tool in the latest Lightroom can help with that too. It's kind of like clarity though.. use it as little as possible because it does horrible things to your picture if you crank it.

But when it works, it's magic.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Leviathor posted:

An ND grad would be my first choice.

So you'd have darker haze. Nice

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
IMG_7710 by Hannah, on Flickr

Christchurch by Hannah, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

All four of those would be better if you bothered with perspective correction, but this is the one where I was sad about it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

And a bit of dodging would make it less obvious you shot it through a fence

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RangerScum posted:

All four of those would be better if you bothered with perspective correction, but this is the one where I was sad about it.
Yeah, I know, I'm super bummed about it because for some reason lightroom wouldn't let me change the perspective on anything in that import, which was all the files on the card.

Normally just changing the raw file to the right lens does it fine, and in this case when I chose the right lens it did nothing, so I tried to do it manually, and it just wouldn't do anything. I think the raw files on that card might be a bit hosed up or something (I had done it on other files that I did on different cards and it worked fine), so I'm canning the card since it's a few years old now anyway.

Unless anyone else has an idea as to why everything would work except the lens correction/perspective stuff.

edit: I also closed LR and re-opened it and same thing.

ansel autisms posted:

And a bit of dodging would make it less obvious you shot it through a fence

eh he he oops :blush:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Did somebody say perspective correction?

This is the first time I've attempted to add it using software.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 16, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

None of them look corrected though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think thats the point, I think hes trying to say it doesn't always work?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

HookShot posted:

Christchurch

My hometown. :smith:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

By 'attempt' I mean I hit the automatic perspective correction button in ACR. I'll agree that there's not a whole lot to give the impression of PC in the last two, but the first one pretty much looks how I expected it would. Note that's not how I wanted it to look, but I guess I'd need an actual shift lens for that.

Or I could have asked to borrow the crane.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 16, 2015

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Green Door Light by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

By 'attempt' I mean I hit the automatic perspective correction button in ACR. I'll agree that there's not a whole lot to give the impression of PC in the last two, but the first one pretty much looks how I expected it would. Note that's now how I wanted it to look, but I guess I'd need an actual shift lens for that.

Check out the perspective crop tool instead

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

By 'attempt' I mean I hit the automatic perspective correction button in ACR. I'll agree that there's not a whole lot to give the impression of PC in the last two, but the first one pretty much looks how I expected it would. Note that's now how I wanted it to look, but I guess I'd need an actual shift lens for that.

Thought you used the perspective correction tool in LR, which would have probably fixed it properly since there are pretty well defined verticals in your shots.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Hertz by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

Blue Car and Blue Wall by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Via di San Calisto, Trastevere by alkanphel, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

RangerScum posted:

Nope, that's diffusion caused by moisture in the air. Really cold weather helps to cut that down.

xzzy posted:

Judicious use of the haze tool in the latest Lightroom can help with that too. It's kind of like clarity though.. use it as little as possible because it does horrible things to your picture if you crank it.

But when it works, it's magic.
Thanks for the advice.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Monuments by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Edit: (Whoa, please ignore FlickR's over the top sharpening.)

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

These two are great, especially the first. My brain tells me the second leans down to the right even though I checked and it's level.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gently caress you're right it is. Elgarbo stop breaking my brain with your photography tia

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blame the stupid earth for not building everything perfectly horizontal.

You so dumb, planet!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Beige posted:

These two are great, especially the first. My brain tells me the second leans down to the right even though I checked and it's level.

Wafflecopper posted:

gently caress you're right it is. Elgarbo stop breaking my brain with your photography tia

Thanks kindly. The first one was shot out of a moving bus window!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
elevator by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That photo reminds me of a movie I just watched - Enemy at the Gates. Not exactly a 'good' movie, but the cinematography, look of the film stock & color grading was pretty striking (for someone who doesn't watch a lot of movies, but has mostly seen newer ones recently) and it definitely had a lot of old grain elevator shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr