Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is glass far more blue than it should be for anyone else on DX11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Today's patch "fixed" it back into being a one way mirror on DX11 but added modding hooks to make two way windows. I think...

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If so it totally puts a bullet in my theory of 1.100 seeing the release of planets.
I was rooting for you!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I'm inept when it comes to computers; could I convince one of you fine goongineers to take a look at my destroyer and mess around with some scripts for its mainframe? I'd like some useful displays around the command centre and engineering spaces, and maybe some basic stuff to automatically control various systems (especially the airlock). Bonus points if you can get something done with the launch, too.

I've yet to figure out what to do with the primary weapons system, but I'm sure I'll get that sorted eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

I'm inept when it comes to computers; could I convince one of you fine goongineers to take a look at my destroyer and mess around with some scripts for its mainframe? I'd like some useful displays around the command centre and engineering spaces, and maybe some basic stuff to automatically control various systems (especially the airlock). Bonus points if you can get something done with the launch, too.

I've yet to figure out what to do with the primary weapons system, but I'm sure I'll get that sorted eventually.

I'll take a poke. For starters I've done a pass of eradicating some outdated and redundant mods (like the old version of the Azimuth Mega Mod) and consolidated one or two (the MWI weapons into the MWI Weapon Collection). You really should do a general pass of removing the excess mods too, as there's a lot of unnecessary bloat for a workshop item. To be honest I might fiddle with your ship design a little, but all you need to do if you want to reverse the changes is just go around copy/pasting the LCD text for the Configurable LCD script to your original version's displays.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Is there a reason ship/station based welders won't start blocks for blueprints?
They have plenty of components supply and there's a block for it to attach to. my hand welder does it just fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

Is there a reason ship/station based welders won't start blocks for blueprints?
They have plenty of components supply and there's a block for it to attach to. my hand welder does it just fine.

All the ownerships set correctly? Try setting the welders to "help others".

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All the ownerships set correctly? Try setting the welders to "help others".

yes they're all owned by me and help others is set

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

yes they're all owned by me and help others is set

Have you tried jiggling the blueprint by one cube and back again? Sometimes it can decide it doesn't like the connection because you moved it a little and that'll reset it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone else seen Video Sage's livestream on Youtube? It's quite something watching a guy in a tophat with that beard play Space Engineers while impersonating Mickey Mouse and ranting about racist grandparents.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I made an effort to try making something that wasn't stuffed with 20-30 mods, so have an expandable space station

Verizian posted:

Anyone else seen Video Sage's livestream on Youtube? It's quite something watching a guy in a tophat with that beard play Space Engineers while impersonating Mickey Mouse and ranting about racist grandparents.

I have not, and I'm quite thankful for that. :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that might just be his normal voice, alas.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I made an effort to try making something that wasn't stuffed with 20-30 mods, so have an expandable space station

That's so cool. The landing pad stage reminds me of the TIE Fighter stations.

How does the astronaut move between the modules? Vertical shafts?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

That's so cool. The landing pad stage reminds me of the TIE Fighter stations.

How does the astronaut move between the modules? Vertical shafts?

Yup, nice and simple. They also have those big airtight doors between the decks, mostly so the top-most one stays airtight until you add another deck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Update 1.1 released, we have AI enemies.

quote:

Features
- drone enemies
- autopilot improvements
- pirate bases as encounters
- most valuable cargo ships call for backup using their antennas if player trips wrong sensor

Guides & Example mods
- Drone modding guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519946091
- KEEN SWH Pirate base and drone mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519796107
- Pirate base and drone testing world http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519795552

Fixes
- fixed crash when activating ship grinder
- fixed projections acting as solid objects in some situations
- fixed autopilot switching off sometimes
- fixed no explosion sounds when detonating warheads
- fixed correct icons for dedicated server screens
- fixed jump drive crash
- fixed warheads are not damaging voxels properly
- fixed terminal turning off when switching between cameras
- fixed spotlights performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMT5U2I4mg

Also includes teasers for planets if you're curious.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
FFFFFFfffffffffffffffffff

I know it has to be stable first but I just want to play again but I dont' want to start until planets are done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well this certainly won't end well. How do you loot a pirate base when there wont be anything left of it? :unsmigghh:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, that grassy treey planet actually look pretty good.

\/ That's really impressive! Jump equipped recon probes is a great idea. \/

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 18, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I found a pirate base. They're pretty easy to spot as they have a beacon broadcasting "NO TRESSPASSERS". They'll also start spawning drones even when you're 20km away to try and hunt your rear end down. It gave me a chance to try a new toy made for the Avalon.

It's a long-range recon probe. This one's missing the rear thrusters and armor to match the front because I forgot to stock the Avalon with solar cells. But good enough for testing, as it has reactors and a battery.

Just gotta lock the Laser Antenna to one of the eight the Avalon has and-

Awaay it jumps! :lsd:

Behold; an early, safe, fuzzy up-close look at the pirate base from 20km away (with a max range of 120km due to the Laser Antenna). There's cameras for all six directions, and the solar panels mean you can leave it sitting somewhere discretely for ages for future remote connection. There's also a warhead onboard and controls for the antenna for if you don't want anyone to ever know it was there...:ninja:

As for the base itself;

There may have been some overkill.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This game reminds me more and more of what X3 was supposed to be every update.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, those planet screenshots are really pretty.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Any news about the net code? This is the main thing that keeps me from diving in - I tried multiplayer before and got disenchanted with the game after getting flung into the space from the speeding ship.

Also, how Medieval Engineers fare with multiplayer?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gantolandon posted:

Any news about the net code? This is the main thing that keeps me from diving in - I tried multiplayer before and got disenchanted with the game after getting flung into the space from the speeding ship.

Also, how Medieval Engineers fare with multiplayer?

Netcode's next on the table after Planets.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Isn't the netcode pointless without optimization?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Not necessarily. From what I understand, the current netcode is cruelly inefficient.

Like, in a normal server set-up, you'd have the server tracking everything, with clients sending updates of what's around their client players, and the server keeping everyone else up to date as necessary.

But in the current netcode, from what I understand, everybody talks to everybody at all times--which is to say, when you're off at your station, you're not only telling the Server that you're welding a block, but all ten other people at their stations are getting the same information... and you're not only receiving updates from the Server, but from the ten other players as well!

Hopefully the netcode fix will make lag much less of an issue on MP DS setups, even without a rendering optimization pass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Time for the usual minor hotfi-

quote:

EDIT 09/18/15:
Update 01.100.024
- Pirate bases will no longer spawn close to starting position
- decreased overall chance of Pirate Base spawn
- Informant now seeks players
- added weaker light drone station
- added light drone "Assailant"
- changed spawn range of Raiding Stations to 10 km (should be less likely to appear )
- drones will now follow you up to 20 km from their base, then they go back
- added ammunition to the starting scenarios and respawn ships
- added Rifle as a basic tool after character's respawn
- drones will now flee back to their base if they run out of ammo or loose all weapons
- all Cargo Ships will now call for backup when attacked - Civilian ships will be defended less than military
- improvements to collision avoidance

:stare:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah, loaded up an old map after the patch and saw three pirate bases within 17km with plenty of red blips heading right for my undefended mining colony. I noped the gently caress out, ran straight into another pirate base with a jury rigged ramming ship and started taking it over bit by bit.

Then decided to design myself a fighter in creative and left pirates on for the new map. They showed up after 20 minutes and blew the gently caress out of my half built ship. Including all the copy/pasted backups I scattered around.

I hope someone makes a large drone carrier for the new pirates soon as they make things a fuckload of fun in the most terrifying way.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

God, this is what the game needed. Finally.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Lightning has struck twice, I found a double Raid Station on my server to pair with the double derelict I found earlier. Looks like the Scourge stations (UFO looking base) only have 2x gat turrets on each side of the disk for 4 total. They have something like 9000 ammo in the containers, so don't try to wait them out. I rushed in with my mining support ship with only 4 turrets and was able to capture the stations before they called reinforcements. I went in fast, so only 1 incisor or something came out to meet me before I ran in and clipped an antenna off with the nose of my ship. I don't actually know if disabling the antennas prevents reinforcements/drones from arriving, I just kind of assumed it from the patch notes. It seems a little easy to take over, my ship wasn't built for combat at all, just 4x gatling turrets for anti-meteor protection.

Anyway, the loot in the cargo holds is amazing. Well beyond anything you get from the older NPC ships. Hundreds of every component and thousands of boxes of gat ammo and 500 missiles. If you don't completely destroy the 2 interior turrets, they seem to hold about ~1300 magazines each. Each stations cargo was more than 1 large ship large cargo containers worth of stuff, without having to salvage any of the built equipment. The 2 small reactors had about 20U each. I could go back later for thrusters and other high value stuff, but it's probably faster just to raid another station and get 500 more of everything.

A "Scourge" station after capture.

One stations worth of cargo + some salvaged parts like the medbay and grav gen. Note that's 49,000 steel plate. For some reason it has a "~" in front of it, I don't know why.

After emptying both stations cargos I had filled 2 large containers and 20% of a 3rd.

I've seen "Raiding Outpost" beacons show up too, but I haven't been up close with one. Anyone got data on those? Is there other station types then outpost and station?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amechwarrior posted:

I've seen "Raiding Outpost" beacons show up too, but I haven't been up close with one. Anyone got data on those? Is there other station types then outpost and station?

I've spotted one and done a cruise-past. Looks mostly like a Scourge station in your picture, but I haven't gone in for the kill and pillage yet. Also it's the No Tresspassers beacon/antenna (haven't gotta a look at which it is) that kills off Drone spawns. I've got a Raider base sitting 10km away from my Battleship's location and it's not pumping out drones anymore (went in for a pass at it with the cannons and had to jump back because it was flying a liiittle too directly at the station and not decelerating fast enough...)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

49,000 steel plate. For some reason it has a "~" in front of it, I don't know why.

It means "Approximately", as it is omitting the last three digits.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

It means "Approximately", as it is omitting the last three digits.

I know it is for approximate, but it's not related to having too many digits. I played around with it and it's not related to how many digits are in the inventory. Here I've isolated the last plate in the stack and it still has the symbol. The stack of 75K plates in the container below doesn't have it. I move the odd plate from 1 container to the next, to my inventory, dropping it as a floating item and it keeps its symbol.

Here I compared it to a normal plate in my personal inventory and it looks like the odd one is almost 2 whole plates, but not quite. Anyone know why this happens? How does it spawn or manufacture approximate amounts of items?

Normal Plate

Odd Plate

Guess I could disassemble the parasitic twin plate into iron to fix the issue. I think I'm cursed to find all the bugs this game can throw at me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amechwarrior posted:

Here I compared it to a normal plate in my personal inventory and it looks like the odd one is almost 2 whole plates, but not quite. Anyone know why this happens? How does it spawn or manufacture approximate amounts of items?

I'm pretty sure that all inventory items in the game have the quantity stored as a float in the code. So what you have there is about 1.98 steel plates, but now the game won't let you split the stack into 1 plate and .98 of a plate. Probably when it's dealing with components the inventory functions is sanity checked to integers for both interaction and display -- versus materials where you can always handle 0.05 of a platinum ingot or whatever.

Definitely try disassembling it and see if it takes or if the assembler refuses to touch it!

God knows how it happened, maybe damage? Floating point bug?

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I once had ~0 of a steel plate. I didn't trust it so I ejected it into space.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

I know it is for approximate, but it's not related to having too many digits. I played around with it and it's not related to how many digits are in the inventory. Here I've isolated the last plate in the stack and it still has the symbol. The stack of 75K plates in the container below doesn't have it. I move the odd plate from 1 container to the next, to my inventory, dropping it as a floating item and it keeps its symbol.

Normal Plate

Odd Plate

Guess I could disassemble the parasitic twin plate into iron to fix the issue. I think I'm cursed to find all the bugs this game can throw at me.

Huh, ok, that is very weird.

BigwigML posted:

I didn't trust it so I ejected it into space.

Words to live by.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

BigwigML posted:

I once had ~0 of a steel plate. I didn't trust it so I ejected it into space.

This is the only answer. Assembler won't let me break it down and I can't weld with it. I had about 4 or 5 "~0" plates in the stack that when combined would make a few whole plates. Still had one ~0 left at the end. Off to the void with you...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just leave them be. They work themselves out in short order.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GotLag posted:

I just leave them be. They work themselves out in short order.
That's what you say now, but what are you gonna do when you have ~1i steel plates in your inventory and any block you weld with it flips to a 4th-dimensional mirror image?

(Alternately you can drop it in space and then shoot it to make it into safe, inert metal scrap. Disposing of dangerous complex numbers by dumping them into space may violate local ordinances. Keep space clean!)

Also also on a more serious note I wish you could disable the tool / hand bob in 1st person view, it's kinda out of control. I was experimenting with shooting various numbers of steel plates because of this topic, and carrying the gun in zero g is kinda nauseating.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

(Disposing of dangerous complex numbers by dumping them into space may violate local ordinances. Keep space clean!)

Maybe I'm space engineering my very own Kessler shield. It's the perfect defense. If the server is too laggy to play due to ~X items then I'm safe. :colbert:

Sadly, I've realized the game actually suffers from a virtual Kessler effect. Too much space debris makes travel impossible due to collision detection lag. Good call on shooting it to scrap with the assault rifle. I now have enough mags to be wasteful thanks to pirate UFOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Now that skyboxes work with DX11, I'm trying to make mine look less like rear end. Unfortunately DX11 does some on-the-fly adjustment depending on skybox brightness, so all my uploads look like washed-out poo poo.

Here are examples of the Caldari skybox as it is now and a new version:
http://imgur.com/a/B0X2t

That skybox got picked up by some popular servers and Youtubers, so it's got 32k subscribers. This makes me reluctant to make major changes to it. Should I leave it as it is and add a newer DX11 version as a different mod (which people might never find out about), or change this one and upload the old one as a new DX9 mod (which might piss people off)?

• Locked thread