Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

At least the hybrid penalty is going away, but ... seriously consider rolling a caster instead.

Second this.. try an Iksar Necro. Great first character, relatively easy to play, and has varied playstyles so you can change things up as you get better with the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Eerkik posted:

I never took anyones advice of rerolling into a magician, still a shadowknight. Finally hit level 3, I don't have a ton of time to play but holy gently caress this is some slow leveling. I should just kill the blue con skeletons for a chance at those cracked staves though right? Anyone have a really low level character they might want to group with around qeynos around midnight pst tonight (after work for me, been working a lotta doubles)? I still have no idea where anything is around me but I can reliably find the underground place with shadowknight trainers and make it back out to north qeynos to more monsters now, just takes me a bit. Not sure if I'd be better off traveling somewhere else or just sticking around here, but the idea of leaving is kinda intimidating with out any sort of map.

I was thinking about either getting my bard on boat to join you or rolling up a Bertox Cleric for you for funsies, and can be on shortly my bard is Freeverse and logging her just for in game contact while I finish things up

Edit: yeah the boat I was thinking of never existed, Freeverse is now in BB guess it'll be Elf land leveling for

Kalaxus fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 16, 2015

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Kalaxus posted:

I was thinking about either getting my bard on boat to join you or rolling up a Bertox Cleric for you for funsies, and can be on shortly my bard is Freeverse and logging her just for in game contact while I finish things up

Edit: yeah the boat I was thinking of never existed, Freeverse is now in BB guess it'll be Elf land leveling for

I honestly don't know what this means it what freeverse is it that there's boats? But I'll be in in 15 minutes as shadeslayer. I've thoigh a lot about re rolling a magician but it's hard to justify with the amount of effort went into learning qeynos to the point that I can navigate myself from the gates of north qeynos to my class trainer semi reliably (i still get lost though, but I have a vague idea of where to go and know that I'm close when I hit the tent square )

I love the sense of exploration and that it's an actual world in this game. The maze like city without a map is honestly a good thing in a very hallenging way. I'm also directionally challenged and maybe this contributed to the whole holy poo poo I'm lost thing

I woulda been on / home sooner but we have a new guy working graveyard and this is his first shift actually alone.

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 16, 2015

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I just hit level 30 and oh god it's my first hell level. Killing a mob and seeing your exp % tick up by half of what you were expecting sure is demoralizing.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Kefit posted:

I just hit level 30 and oh god it's my first hell level. Killing a mob and seeing your exp % tick up by half of what you were expecting sure is demoralizing.

get super ledge group, machine gun pull blues your way to freedom, don't try tackling it solo, unless masochism is just your thing

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Last night I completed my epic!

Although it is the rogue epic this was my first character I created on p99 a few months ago so 30k is still an awful lot of money for me so purchasing it out-right was never an option. It feels good to both have it (and not be disrespected for being a 51 rogue without an epic) and to have done it the classic way (solo fully-spawned hate sneak and all)!

Now off to earn XP.

I got a Sebilis key earlier this week with a group of friends. At what level could I reasonably get groups there? I have particularly fond memories of wasting my teenage summer days grinding in Sebilis.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Ramulack posted:

Although it is the rogue epic this was my first character I created on p99 a few months ago so 30k is still an awful lot of money for me so purchasing it out-right was never an option. It feels good to both have it (and not be disrespected for being a 51 rogue without an epic) and to have done it the classic way (solo fully-spawned hate sneak and all)!

Now off to earn XP.

I got a Sebilis key earlier this week with a group of friends. At what level could I reasonably get groups there? I have particularly fond memories of wasting my teenage summer days grinding in Sebilis.

Since the release of Velious, seb is mostly all leveling people and maybe a soloer camping crypt and a trio camping King, so thankfully it's usually open and anyone in their 50s can generally find a group now, though I'd still LFG in KC rather than evacing to seb to find out that there's no one there and you're stranded.

If you don't have one yet, I highly suggest an OT hammer, a WC cap, and getting your HS key. People need rogues all the time to open doors there.

Not gonna lie though, as soon as Velious dropped and since I was 60 I vowed never to go back to HS again, and deleted my key to prevent me from zoning back into there. It can be extremely scary.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

iNteg posted:

If you don't have one yet, I highly suggest an OT hammer

Does a charge of the charm item cost less on blue? Or do people just farm the faction for it.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I am sad to hear Sebilis isn't really the place to be. I remember on live during this time on Xegony there were usually a few pickup groups there around the clock.

I would prefer camping in a single zone for an extended period of time to minimize running around.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Ashenden posted:

Does a charge of the charm item cost less on blue? Or do people just farm the faction for it.

You can do either. Join a larger guild and you can get a puppet string charge for free usually.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Ashenden posted:

For blue I have seen Zanderlocke selling OT charges on forums for 2k a hammer.He seems to have been around awhile and I am thinking of buying from him.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I'd rather level in the old world instead of Kunark. My iksar necro is level 7, is there any reason I couldn't just buy spells for the next couple levels and peace out? Is there any reason that I need to stick close to my trainers from this point on?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ashenden posted:

The faction is doable as an evil race (30-35 turn-ins of 4x warbraids as a starting faction evil race to get to amiable) or someone with sneak if you haven't cratered it yet killing in KC/HS, but for most people 50+ it's less time consuming to farm up cash and buy a charge of puppet strings...or join a guild that will hook you up at recharge cost (around 1k iirc) rather than gouging you.

e;fb

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eerkik posted:

I've thoigh a lot about re rolling a magician but it's hard to justify with the amount of effort went into learning qeynos to the point that I can navigate myself from the gates of north qeynos to my class trainer semi reliably (i still get lost though, but I have a vague idea of where to go and know that I'm close when I hit the tent square )

I love the sense of exploration and that it's an actual world in this game. The maze like city without a map is honestly a good thing in a very hallenging way.

Yeah I love exploring in everquest. But that's all the more reason to create a new character! You can learn a new city. Finding your way to a new class trainer won't be that hard, and you can ask us to show you around if you like.

IMO Qeynos and Freeport are the most confusing and stupid cities, although they do give you that "big bustling human city" feel.

Cities I think are really cool: Neriak, Kelethin, Felwithe, Erudin, Highpass

Cities that are okay: Cabilis, Rivervale, Halas, Qeynos

Kefit posted:

Good thing there's a double xp bonus coming up eh? Plow through that hell level.

But I'm right there with you, I'm 30 and I'm finally about to ding 31 after grinding forever.

Ramulack posted:

Now off to earn XP.

loving grats dude! I've never done any epic quests. Doing one on P99 would feel like a huge accomplishment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

retpocileh posted:

I'd rather level in the old world instead of Kunark. My iksar necro is level 7, is there any reason I couldn't just buy spells for the next couple levels and peace out? Is there any reason that I need to stick close to my trainers from this point on?

Not that I can think of. There's the kunark specific class quests but they're not really that important. That's the only thing you'd HAVE to go to cabilis for.

There's necromancer trainers and vendors in old world, although you're going to have problems buying or training at them. If you can stock up on spells now or get other people to buy them for you then there'll be very little issue.

At that point all you'd need would be to train new skills, but you've already got meditate so the next thing I can think of is specialization at 20.

Oh, spell research, you should grab a book of dark bindings in cabilis and throw it in the bank for later.

Banking in general will be a challenge as an Iksar though.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

There's necromancer trainers and vendors in old world, although you're going to have problems buying or training at them. If you can stock up on spells now or get other people to buy them for you then there'll be very little issue.

People have talked about something I am a little foggy on, I think turning in bone chips in the sewers of Freeport to let your Iksar Necromancer train and vendor there?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

People have talked about something I am a little foggy on, I think turning in bone chips in the sewers of Freeport to let your Iksar Necromancer train and vendor there?

Almost all factions in EQ have people you can kill or quests you can do to change your faction standing.

I don't know the quest you're referring to but there's lots of bone chips quests, probably hand in some bone chips to get more reputation. You're going to need a LOT of them to get an iksar from hated to "you can buy our goods now" though, is the thing. And you have to be careful because raising one freeport faction won't help the others, so you might be cool with the guards but then the paladins are still KOS to you, you feel safe but then some guy comes running out of a building to kill you.

The same applies all over the place, items like that which you can turn in to improve faction are very popular, left gnoll ears improve your highpass and qeynos faction so people buy those all the time, etc.

If you don't have a ton of money to blow you probably won't be able to get your faction to change significantly.

The other trick is that in order to be able to even do the quest you have to not be KOS already. The sewers people might be cool enough with you already, but probably not. So then you'd need like wolf form or skeleton illusion to be able to talk to them, turn in the bone chips, and then get them to talk to you normal.

As a necro though you can just skeleton illusion and most evil races will trade with you as-is, I'm pretty sure.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
There are factions you cannot raise though, however those are usually strictly mobs you'll never do anything but violently murder anyway.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red Check-In!

Up to ~25 with my group of 4 dudes, we're still in MM but probably moving to kunark or some such in a little bit.

Is ANYONE still playing on Red? It looks like there's been an exodus since I was last there though with Discord coming up I'd hope that a few people would come out of the woodwork. We really could use at least 2 more consistent players for a regular group/roving gangsquad as soon as Discord hits and ideally we'd like to be playing together before then.

torp0r
Jan 14, 2008
torp0r
Does anyone have good experience/perspective on the raiding game on p99(Blue)? I am interested in trying. I understand the old class rules and have read opinions on both sides, but it's hard to get a sense of what the actual average required weekly time commitment is of what would previously be called R vs C. I know this is going to vary based on which guild, but yeah if someone has experience and can quantify effort that would be super useful information.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

torp0r posted:

Does anyone have good experience/perspective on the raiding game on p99(Blue)? I am interested in trying. I understand the old class rules and have read opinions on both sides, but it's hard to get a sense of what the actual average required weekly time commitment is of what would previously be called R vs C. I know this is going to vary based on which guild, but yeah if someone has experience and can quantify effort that would be super useful information.

With the release of Velious everything changed. There's an extremely large slew of mobs now worth killing and one guild can't get them all, so there's a lot more to do.

Most guilds work on two systems of loot, a council, usually officers distributed raid loot based on class/attendance/social status in the guild. BDA is a guild like this.

A less biased way is DKP, where he more you show up, the more points you earn, and you spend those points on gear you want. Rampage is a guild like this.

If your playtime is limited, you have good utility and you listen well, BDA Is a good fit for you.

If you want to be hard core, wake up at 3am for bat phones and show up for raids all the time? Rampage may be more your style.

The class system is no longer and it's back to play nice policy + FTE on all raid mobs.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Are you in a raiding guild iNteg?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

torp0r posted:

I haven't done EQ raiding ever, but the impression I get is that its highly dependent upon the guild. Some guilds are more casual and throw loot around, while others have strict DKP and you'll never earn enough to out-bid the poopsockers in the guild who take everything. So you'd have to do some research into the current blue guilds more than anything.

HTH.

torp0r
Jan 14, 2008
torp0r
This is all helpful information, thanks guys.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Ashenden posted:

Are you in a raiding guild iNteg?

I am in BDA.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Hey guys! Haven't been on in months, there's a fresh enchanter (everyone loves enchanters) who just joined Unknown Guild. In game name is Gygitty, don't know who it is on here, but he's a goon and I hooked him up with the guild tag and some seafury plat items in my bags I had at the time (maybe like ~450pp?)

Give this guy some ideas what to spend it on (I have no idea) and maybe say hi and group with him. He's level 11 and it's his first character and it didn't look like he was wearing much. If you're reading this dude, get some CHA gear, that's all I got for ya. Charming is your bread and butter, plus it's fun and interesting.

If anyone else needs anything, like ports or wolf forms or whatever, post in here or send me a tell (Jonky 55 Druid).

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Give this guy some ideas what to spend it on (I have no idea) and maybe say hi and group with him. He's level 11 and it's his first character and it didn't look like he was wearing much. If you're reading this dude, get some CHA gear, that's all I got for ya. Charming is your bread and butter, plus it's fun and interesting.

He's online, he saw the gear list on page 12 and bought some 5/55s.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Tiresias and my shaman Azae are going to be grouping in Unrest if anybody wants to come, we're level 18 and 19.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Currently in Unrest but looking to buy a Charred Guardian Shield if any bored druid wants to check ECT for me. Can't slam these magic immunes.

E: Wait thought they were 50pp not 150pp, disregard. Learned that slam is shoulder regardless of if you have a shield equipped or not. Also I am a triple posting shithead who should learn to edit.

We had a really good group in the main room of Unrest. A high level Paladin started pulling from basement for us. Got Dwarf Workboots, that guy's ring, and a Bloodstained Mantle while there. Pretty amazing haul.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2015

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Ashenden posted:

Currently in Unrest but looking to buy a Charred Guardian Shield if any bored druid wants to check ECT for me. Can't slam these magic immunes.

E: Wait thought they were 50pp not 150pp, disregard. Learned that slam is shoulder regardless of if you have a shield equipped or not. Also I am a triple posting shithead who should learn to edit.

We had a really good group in the main room of Unrest. A high level Paladin started pulling from basement for us. Got Dwarf Workboots, that guy's ring, and a Bloodstained Mantle while there. Pretty amazing haul.

Yeah, it was a stellar group. I got out of there with a full suit of bronze for my newbie Paladin, and I made pretty good progress exp wise despite de-leveling 4 times due to being a retard about mezzing basement mobs.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
BDA, Taken, and Asgard all seem like competitive guilds going after Trak and VS. I think Forsaken still goes after those as well. From what I hear Rampage has moved on to Velious and is pretty strict. One must be level 60, have all the right clickies, and resist gear. If you do not have say like a Midnight Mallet or the correct resist gear, then you do not earn any DKP. When all classes could use Ivandyr's Hoops the common knowledge was; No Hoop, No Loot.

If you have never raided on blue p99 I would say to join a guild with people you have been leveling up with. I would say join a small guild that does Hate clears for armor, but I am not sure if people clear the old planes much anymore.

To be in a guild like Rampage you would probably have to play nearly everyday, at least moving characteres around, respond to the bat-phone at all hours, and generally just be involved with the activies of Rampage. If you want to kill some dragons in Western Wastes or Temple of Veeshan, just join up with who you are leveling with. If that small guild you joined doesn't get around to killing stuff, then maybe join a guild like BDA or Asgard.

The top guilds are looking for people who are level 60, have knowledge of the zones, and have the gear. That is why I say join a small guild to at least know some raid etiquette, get some experience, and some resist gear. Don't be the guy running to raid encounter asking what resists or spells are going to be needed. Most raiding guilds can engage and kill a mob within minutes of it spawning. I know you got to learn but if you do not have the base knowledge, then you are going to be stuck in an app period and sometimes you do not earn anything as an app. So being able to join a raiding guild and knowning how to raid can get you out of app-hell and get you to looting those pixels.

I keep saying resist gear but a lot of raid fights you will not need it. Plane of Hate, Fear, and Sky resists are not really needed, maybe some MR for the Dracolich. Having good poison resist is important inf you are doing Trakanon and of course there are a couple dargons in VP require Disease and Fire resists. I also really enjoy raiding as 52s vs Naggy and Vox, but I use a 52 bard for that and mainly focus on MR so I do not get feared.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Do we know when the bonus xp weekend is?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

FranktheBank posted:

Do we know when the bonus xp weekend is?

October 2nd-5th

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red Server Check-in!

Lvl 29ish group in MM, we're gonna go to kunark/Crystal Cavs very soon, send a tell to Willcat if you're around and still play/want to play red!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Hey guys! Haven't been on in months, there's a fresh enchanter (everyone loves enchanters) who just joined Unknown Guild. In game name is Gygitty, don't know who it is on here, but he's a goon and I hooked him up with the guild tag and some seafury plat items in my bags I had at the time (maybe like ~450pp?)

If anyone else needs anything, like ports or wolf forms or whatever, post in here or send me a tell (Jonky 55 Druid).

Hey, that's me! Thanks for the plat and for this post! I did buy some 5/55s and hit lvl 12 on Friday.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Canuckistan posted:

Hey, that's me! Thanks for the plat and for this post! I did buy some 5/55s and hit lvl 12 on Friday.

Hit me up on Erianine when you see me on. I'm not in Unknown but I have a bag with researched spells for you and I'll craft you decent CHA bracers and neck, and dump some old gear on you.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I am totally out of money here on red and need to farm some pp to buy spells. Anyone know if killing the sisters in OOT will make you KOS anywhere? Or can recommend a good pp farm? 24 ench here.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Shaman solo has gotten really depressing at 20, hope it picks up at 24 or I might just have to fall back on Bard.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Erdricks posted:

I am totally out of money here on red and need to farm some pp to buy spells. Anyone know if killing the sisters in OOT will make you KOS anywhere? Or can recommend a good pp farm? 24 ench here.

Lowers faction with a few of the Kelethin guilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Erdricks posted:

Felwithe paladin and I think cleric guild also. It's actually no big deal.