Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been catching up on the Star Fox playthrough listening to it in the background and occasionally flipping back for choice moments, I'm on part 8 right now and I just absolutely lose it whenever I hear those stupid loving flying shitheads cackling in the background and then often moments later Liam getting super pissed at them as he tries to kill them.

The one in the lava temple thing room was the best though, right in the middle of the cutscene, "YEEEEAH HAHA!"

The Star Fox Adventures playthrough is really great for just general bickering and nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did not expect 2015 to be the year of female wrestlers in fighting games doing stone cold stunners but I'm happy it is

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.vessel.com/shows/6783989323580619
machinimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

what the gently caress is this

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Time for a Simpsons joke!

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Actually gently caress this company.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

What does this even mean? I can just watch LPS for free on youtube and on their own site.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
pay 3 dollars to watch the ones that aren't out yet, i guess

i'd pay 3 dollars a month to be able to watch next weeks videos today, tbqh. i might not, but i might.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm sure not giving Machinima a single cent for anything

if this was in any other format, like they uploaded videos early for patreon supporters, then whatever, I'd pay for it. I wouldn't be sour at all.

but in this case, with this company, I Rather Have Nothing

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i'm not up to speed on my corporate villiany, why is machima assholes again?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please don't pay money to watch Youtube videos :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It looks like you pay 3$ to use that entire site, which seems like a sort of netflix but for "indie" creators?

The site isn't owned by machinima either. I think.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They may not own the site but they've sure slapped their big loving logo over all the best friends stuff they could.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

They may not own the site but they've sure slapped their big loving logo over all the best friends stuff they could.

Yeah, that seems weird and kinda gross? Although I've never been too clear on how SBF works with machinma - I thought the stuff they put on their own channel was separate/their own, and what they produced for machinma...was well for machinma.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt....

Matt....?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tae posted:

Matt....

Matt....?

Cool it guys, it's not like we're going to be denied videos, if some goobers want to pay 3 bucks for something they can watch for free then let them make that mistake, unless we're actively going to have videos delayed in favor of this site then its not a crisis.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al-Saqr posted:

Cool it guys, it's not like we're going to be denied videos, if some goobers want to pay 3 bucks for something they can watch for free then let them make that mistake, unless we're actively going to be denied videos its not a crisis.

I don't think anybody thinks that's going to happen (or at least, nobody's responded like they think that's the case).

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Please don't pay money to watch Youtube videos :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my anger has nothing to do with the videos coming out and everything to do with the best friends doubling down on their association with a company that sucks

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

my anger has nothing to do with the videos coming out and everything to do with the best friends doubling down on their association with a company that sucks

A) they have no choice, contracts and all that.

B) how is this doubling down? for all we know, machinima made the site, put all of their associates on it, is charging for it and that's that. They might've told Matt nothing beyond "hey, we're doing this thing, we'll throw a couple of pennies in your direction out of it."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

A) they have no choice, contracts and all that.

B) how is this doubling down? for all we know, machinima made the site, put all of their associates on it, is charging for it and that's that. They might've told Matt nothing beyond "hey, we're doing this thing, we'll throw a couple of pennies in your direction out of it."

The videos that are on the SBF channel aren't Machinima videos.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Andrast posted:

The videos that are on the SBF channel aren't Machinima videos.

the regular LP's we're seeing on youtube and the site ARE on that Vessell website, if I try clicking on them I have to make an account.

Do you think that the Seasons of the actual Machinima vids are going to be early access on that site?

*edit*

OOoohhhhh I just realized what was going on, it's showing the next two days worth of Youtube videos EARLY on that channel. So if I want to watch tomorrows vids today I shell out 3 dollars for it.

Nope. not for me.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 16, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

the regular LP's we're seeing on youtube and the site ARE on that Vessell website, if I try clicking on them I have to make an account.

Do you think that the Seasons of the actual Machinima vids are going to be early access on that site?

I was just pointing out that the normal LPs they do aren't (or at least haven't been before) owned by Machinima/contracted by Machinima like you implied.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
We aren't super ready to go for a full blown explanation yet (wait a few more weeks) but here's the gist of it.

Vessel is a completely separate premium video service, and you pay 3$ a month for everything it has, there's stuff like epic meal time, and another LPers like Seananners, etc.

The videos will be three days ahead of youtube. If you want to take advantage of that and watch stuff early, please do, if you don't, continue watching on youtube. I'm fine with either. If you sign up for the service and reference us when you do so, you get your first month free to try it out, and see if you like it. If you hate it, don't continue.

This was a deal presented to us, and us as a group, accepted it, and the contract lasts for one year. There's a couple of reasons why we chose to do this, but without going into a lot of details, the failure of our site was one of them. It was made and maintained by another company altogether, and we've been a bit unhappy with the progress (or lack thereof) on getting it up to code and adding features.

As for Machinima itself, I'm sorry some of you feel it's an evil corporation or whatever that burns baby monkeys, but we wouldn't be where we are without them. They've always treated us fairly, flown us out to various events, and have contributed alot more than you'd assume to the channel. Until they actually slight us or treat us poorly, we're content to stay with them as they have let us do our own thing the way we want.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 16, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So is that like 3 revenue streams now between youtube, this new thing, and your website?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Tae posted:

So is that like 3 revenue streams now between youtube, this new thing, and your website?

As I kinda alluded to above, but I think I edited the reply before you saw, the website barely makes any money, I wouldn't even consider it a 3rd revenue stream.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

As I kinda alluded to above, but I think I edited the reply before you saw, the website barely makes any money, I wouldn't even consider it a 3rd revenue stream.

Called the "balls-on-revenue-stream", if you will.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TheRealestMatt posted:

As for Machinima itself, I'm sorry some of you feel it's an evil corporation or whatever that burns baby monkeys, but we wouldn't be where we are without them. They've always treated us fairly, flown us out to various events, and have contributed alot more than you'd assume to the channel. Until they actually slight us or treat us poorly, we're content to stay with them as they have let us do our own thing the way we want.

this has always been the impression that i've got. other than broteampill i haven't heard too many members of machinima complain about it, mostly just ex members and people concerned about integrity in advertising.

the idea of a company trying to skirt the law on advertising is nothing new and it gets broken all the time by non-internet companies. i wouldn't say it necessarily makes your company evil.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Also guys, I post in here fairly regularly I guess, and you are directly asking me, so I felt compelled to reply. And while this is not top secret hush hush information, I'd appreciate it if you could keep it to yourselves for now, we'll be making a formal video or at least a text announcement in the coming weeks so everyone gets the low down.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So are the Let's Watch and other non-youtube kosher videos going to be on Vessel?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I don't see this hurting anybody, and this kind of thing isn't exactly new. The only thing I'm worried about is if it's gonna affect the editing of the videos in any way, since they have to be prepped possibly earlier now. Not that I know the editing process of your videos or anything, but I can imagine it would add more stress to you guys to get videos ready even earlier.

But yeah, more power to you, Matt! Hope this works better than the site!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its pretty cool to see developments for sbfp like this. kinda like being inside edition or a paparazzi. what a good thread. what a good bossman.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hubris.height posted:

this has always been the impression that i've got. other than broteampill i haven't heard too many members of machinima complain about it, mostly just ex members and people concerned about integrity in advertising.

the idea of a company trying to skirt the law on advertising is nothing new and it gets broken all the time by non-internet companies. i wouldn't say it necessarily makes your company evil.

People said the contracts used to suck, but who knows, maybe they fixed their poo poo after the whole debacle. Plus, Matt himself has told us a lot of times the SBFP stuff is very fair to them, so eh.

Vessel isn't for me, but as long as it's not gated content (which it doesn't seem to be) and it doesn't screw the content creators (which it doesn't seem to do), I don't mind it. I'm not sure if there's a public for the service, but it is just three bucks and I suppose a lot of people consume way more Machinima content than I do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a distinct difference between content in advance via the service and locking content behind the service and for 3 bucks I think it's really not that bad. I'm not going to use it on the principle that I could just wait a few days and keep watching on Youtube/the best friends site as I always have been, but for people who are impatient for their best friends fix it's fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm still not overall happy with it but if it keeps you guys doing what you're doing, then I'll deal.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Do what you gotta do to keep doing what you do matt

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
matt you gotta get in contact with austin creed and get something going.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

Also guys, I post in here fairly regularly I guess, and you are directly asking me, so I felt compelled to reply. And while this is not top secret hush hush information, I'd appreciate it if you could keep it to yourselves for now, we'll be making a formal video or at least a text announcement in the coming weeks so everyone gets the low down.
I don't know if it's been asked before, but I'm guessing you guys considered patreon in the past, and if so, why did you pass on it? Apologies if you've answered this question, I just feel like the SBF "brand" would yield quite a lot especially considering how unfunny Greg miller is yet how much kinda funny gets from patreon.

I dunno, I'm indifferent on this whole streaming site, but I feel like if you guys need financial support, you'd get a shitload of it from patreon.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Now I feel kinda bad for not using the best friends site, but youtube's just where I watch all my videos pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know if it's been asked before, but I'm guessing you guys considered patreon in the past, and if so, why did you pass on it? Apologies if you've answered this question, I just feel like the SBF "brand" would yield quite a lot especially considering how unfunny Greg miller is yet how much kinda funny gets from patreon.

I dunno, I'm indifferent on this whole streaming site, but I feel like if you guys need financial support, you'd get a shitload of it from patreon.

I'm completely fine with patreon, and if things come down to it, I've often said we can use it. I even discussed dropping all the advertisers for the podcast, and make the podcast exclusively on Patreon support. The idea of using it usually gets shot down by the other members.