Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Base salary for a post doctoral fellow at University of Toronto is $27,400 a year. Not much fun paying student loans on that poo poo.

Postdocs are expected to live off the fat of the land. I hear the squirrels in Queen's Park are delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
People have often asked me why I never bothered becoming a commercial pilot even when I had the money on hand to pay for most of it cash. I tell them it's because only a fool would put up the same kind of money that some pay for med school to make the same kind of money as someone who just bought themselves a 6 month community college certificate.

And then after 10 years of putting up with that bullshit you *might* make enough money to keep a one bedroom apartment all by yourself, if you don't get lucky and suffer so many layoffs and furloughs that you don't say gently caress it and go do something else.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kraftwerk posted:

So what's the consensus on these new condos that they're building? Are all of them overpriced and set to fall apart? Or are there some that are decent?

My impression of condos is that they're disposable shitboxes made to look like fancy luxurious dwellings. Most of the work is half assed, electrical is poor, insulation sucks, not energy efficient and in general if you don't care about bugs, vermin and ensuite laundry you're better off in an old rental complex...

Seriously what the gently caress?

Are you goblins seriously advocating that I tolerate cockroaches and rats to save money?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you shut your whore mouth I loving love rabbitmq. pilots go kill yourselves

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dreylad posted:

OK so we're agreed Estonia is a member of NATO.

Meanwhile...

quote:

the Liberals unveiling a plan that they say addresses the issue. The plan announced this week would provide $125 million per year in tax incentives for developers and landlords

Lmao

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

cowofwar posted:

Base salary for a post doctoral fellow at University of Toronto is $27,400 a year. Not much fun paying student loans on that poo poo.

It's actually $30,500 but yeah, very ridiculous. Why would anyone spend years trying to get a ph.D. just to do the exact same crap right after graduation for a meager salary.

http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/facultyandstaff/Pages/Engaging-Renewing-Postdocs.aspx

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO uh hey guys, I just got married and I need to sponsor my wife to come to Canada. DO I need to be actually residing in Canada for this? DO I need a job? I'm pretty confused and it seems like a bunch of you guys have done this/are in the process.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Like Obamacare the solution is you reward the people who caused the problem

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

SO uh hey guys, I just got married and I need to sponsor my wife to come to Canada. DO I need to be actually residing in Canada for this? DO I need a job? I'm pretty confused and it seems like a bunch of you guys have done this/are in the process.

You don't need to be residing in Canada, but you need to prove that you will be residing in Canada when you do come here. You also don't need a job, but need to prove that you have some way or plan of supporting the both of you.

I suggest reading the whole guide the government gives, it's actually pretty helpful.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm actually moving to Canada with my girlfriend next year (we're doing the common-law partner thing, which is essentially the same as getting married.) You actually have the option of applying outside the country or inside, if I recall correctly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throatwarbler posted:

lol enjoy a year or two wait.
I think you don't actually have to prove anything financially, that's only for sponsoring family. Spouse gets in regardless you only have to prove it's a "real" relationship and she isn't a KGB agent. Also you aren't living in canada and have no job but just got married??

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I can go back to Canada and get a job, ain't no thang, Victoria is a boom town right? But does that mean I get to be separated from my wife for a year or more? Not so keen on that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It depends on where she's from.

If she's from a first world country where you don't need a visa and get in relatively easily, come in for a "visit". While you're here, apply for the visa, and she can stay in Canada until it's processed. It's important to note though that she cannot leave Canada once it's in processing, or she loses the bridging visa status.

You can apply from "inside" Canada or "outside" regardless of where you physically are.

If you apply from "inside" Canada everything will be done inside the country. HOWEVER your wife cannot leave the country until it's processed without risking her application being deserted, and I think it takes about 18 months (there's a pretty accurate estimate somewhere on the governemnt website for all processing times). Most people do this if they're from a country with a long processing time "outside" and they managed to get a visa to come to Canada temporarily.

If you apply from "outside" Canada it is often faster, especially if you come from a first world country. However, there's always the risk that you'll be called in for an interview at whatever office you've applied to, which would mean you'd have to physically fly back there to attend. Some offices are known for basically never doing interviews though, so it's up to you. Most people that do this are either outside of the country, or people inside the country from a first world country who have a shorter wait time and either dont' expect to be interviewed or don't care if they're called back for an interview.

Note: all this was true in 2013 when my husband and I did it. It took 6 months total almost to the day before he got his permanent residency, which is pretty drat quick. We did the "outside" way even though we were in Canada and never got a call for an interview. We sent off the papers, waited six months then got a letter in the mail telling us to cross a border into Canada and we were done.

And you don't have to prove an income but you do have to prove that you have an actual plan to work in Canada. Just printing out job search applications online is enough though AFAIK, they really aren't strict on it.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 16, 2015

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

My personal situation is fairly complicated; I hope it won't make things difficult. I am on a student visa in the United States and met my girlfriend while studying, but I have to be back in Canada by March. We can't really apply inside Canada because we have a wedding to go to in Florida in May. So I guess she will apply "outside" while I live in Canada and she stays in the US until they tell her to cross.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mystic_Shadow posted:

My personal situation is fairly complicated; I hope it won't make things difficult. I am on a student visa in the United States and met my girlfriend while studying, but I have to be back in Canada by March. We can't really apply inside Canada because we have a wedding to go to in Florida in May. So I guess she will apply "outside" while I live in Canada and she stays in the US until they tell her to cross.

You can both go to Canada and still apply "outside", just she'll have to go back to the States for her interview if they need one. Tons of people do it this way because going back to the states for an interview is way cheaper than going to say, Europe.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Pilots are just bus drivers with snappier uniforms, worse schedules, and weaker unions.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

You can both go to Canada and still apply "outside", just she'll have to go back to the States for her interview if they need one. Tons of people do it this way because going back to the states for an interview is way cheaper than going to say, Europe.

That's good to know. It actually sounds way less complicated than immigrating to the United States (I've been here for 17 years and still considered a foreigner in the eyes of the law.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And no one here has a "complicated" situation. Go to the family immigration forums if you want to hear actually complicated stories.

Like 23-year old male ex-refugees that got denied and overstayed and deported that are now married to a 45 year old schoolteacher who went over there for six months and now she wants to bring him over to Canada.

Or the dude who married a woman, brought her to Canada, and she died two years later and six months later he remarried and wants to bring his new wife over too.

"I married/live with one partner who lives in a first world country where I also live and we both want to move to Canada" is basically the simplest application there is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That sounded way douchier than it was meant to, sorry.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

No actually that made me feel way better, thank you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mystic_Shadow posted:

No actually that made me feel way better, thank you.

No problem! It's actually not that hard. We found it way faster, easier, and cheaper than doing it the other way around in Australia for me.

The government website is actually really good for info, and there's a huge canadian immigration forum where basically every situation under the sun has been experienced by someone at some point if you have any questions that no one here can answer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks, my wife is Chinese, so it's a bit more difficult but doable. So I could get her over and then apply "outside", and she can still stay?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If she's Chinese they probably won't give her a visa to visit if she's married to a Canadian (risk of overstay). You can always try, but chances are you're going to have to actually be outside and apply from outside. If you do succeed and manage to get her in Canada and apply from outside, she'll probably have to go back to China at some point for the interview. I honestly have no idea how it would work for her to go back to Canada after the interview, since we never went through it. I know Americans often don't have any trouble, but it's different when you need an actual visa before being allowed to travel to Canada.

On the bright side, the wait time for the Beijing office is only 10 months right now. And AFAIK there's nothing saying you can't stay there with her while it processes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

HookShot posted:

If she's Chinese they probably won't give her a visa to visit if she's married to a Canadian (risk of overstay). You can always try, but chances are you're going to have to actually be outside and apply from outside. If you do succeed and manage to get her in Canada and apply from outside, she'll probably have to go back to China at some point for the interview. I honestly have no idea how it would work for her to go back to Canada after the interview, since we never went through it. I know Americans often don't have any trouble, but it's different when you need an actual visa before being allowed to travel to Canada.

On the bright side, the wait time for the Beijing office is only 10 months right now. And AFAIK there's nothing saying you can't stay there with her while it processes.

I haven't told anyone that I married her, couldn't she just go over as a tourist? Admittedly I know nothing about this.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is getting goonier by the minute. :allears:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I have a feeling Throatwarbler and his wife are going to end up featured on one of those border guards shows

Announcer Voice: Today in YVR, a pair of people crossing in from China have very strange things to tell

Blurred out white male: Look officer, all I'm saying is, are there stairs in your house?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Honestly just lie to the cbsa and try to sneak her in. They only give exclusion orders to liars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

People have often asked me why I never bothered becoming a commercial pilot even when I had the money on hand to pay for most of it cash. I tell them it's because only a fool would put up the same kind of money that some pay for med school to make the same kind of money as someone who just bought themselves a 6 month community college certificate.

And then after 10 years of putting up with that bullshit you *might* make enough money to keep a one bedroom apartment all by yourself, if you don't get lucky and suffer so many layoffs and furloughs that you don't say gently caress it and go do something else.

Wow, that's exactly the same decision I made!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pilots are just bus drivers with snappier uniforms, worse schedules, and weaker unions.

Yes, but flying planes is loving awesome (unlike driving a bus), so a lot of people are willing to do it for extremely lovely pay in bad working conditions.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Don't the big planes pretty much fly themselves and the pilot's only there in case he decides he wants to crash into a mountain?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

ChairMaster posted:

Don't the big planes pretty much fly themselves and the pilot's only there in case he decides he wants to crash into a mountain?

No. Planes fly on autopilot most of the time because it's convenient and it leaves pilots enough time and energy to troubleshoot possibly catastrophic problems if something goes horribly wrong. That being said, you still need to be able to *understand* and *command* the complex systems in the cockpit, even if they are highly automated. Case in point, the cockpit of the new Airbus A359:

When poo poo hits the fan, you are at 30 000 feet and dropping fast and you have only seconds to react, and the wrong decision means death for ~300 people, it really puts the whole "those planes practically fly themselves :smuggo:" nonsense into perspective.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
This is also relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giixQm2A9Xw

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's a couple air France pilots at the bottom of the Atlantic who probably should have listened to the autopilot

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The big difference between pilots and bus drivers is pilots get laid.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

The big difference between pilots and bus drivers is pilots get laid.

And you can't be a fat arsehole because there are strict health and fitness requirements.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OhYeah posted:

No. Planes fly on autopilot most of the time because it's convenient and it leaves pilots enough time and energy to troubleshoot possibly catastrophic problems if something goes horribly wrong. That being said, you still need to be able to *understand* and *command* the complex systems in the cockpit, even if they are highly automated. Case in point, the cockpit of the new Airbus A359:

When poo poo hits the fan, you are at 30 000 feet and dropping fast and you have only seconds to react, and the wrong decision means death for ~300 people, it really puts the whole "those planes practically fly themselves :smuggo:" nonsense into perspective.

Well I mostly meant that as a response to the idea that flying planes is fun, even though the only time you do any flying is when poo poo goes really wrong and you have to fix it, which doesn't sound that fun.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Apply in the Buffalo office as it has a fast turn around time for interviews.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Apply in the Buffalo office as it has a fast turn around time for interviews.

They closed that office a couple of years ago.

There wasn't much notice given that the office would be closing (less than a week iirc). At the time, some people were complaining because they had interviews that had been booked at that office, sometimes months in advance, and had plane tickets and hotels booked, and their interviews were cancelled with basically no notice and no information immediately available as to when and where they were being rescheduled. It sucked all around.

There's a decent immigration forum that might help Throatwarbler with his wife's application.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I haven't told anyone that I married her, couldn't she just go over as a tourist? Admittedly I know nothing about this.

Yes, lie to an agency that will then be judging whether or not she gets to stay in the country permanently (and remember that you're going to have to submit your marriage certificate with the date on it when you do that!), that sounds like a great idea.

Cultural Imperial posted:

There's a couple air France pilots at the bottom of the Atlantic who probably should have listened to the autopilot
Hadn't autopilot been disengaged for ages before they started trying to make the plane climb forever? I thought as soon as they hit the hail the autopilot disengaged. They should have listened to the loudly beeping stall warnings though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm a big loving nerd that does flight simulator poo poo and ya if you literally want to fly in a straight line a plane with a modern autopilot of flight management computer is easy poo poo but the second you throw in the actual policies and procedures required to keep your plane from running into other planes and avoid restricted airspace and do all the other things pilots need to do you add a ton of workload and its barely manageable even with an autopilot at times.

Throw in actually having to monitor an actual mechanical thing for potential equipment failures like I've had to do in a real plane and ya, they don't really just fly themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Hadn't autopilot been disengaged for ages before they started trying to make the plane climb forever? I thought as soon as they hit the hail the autopilot disengaged. They should have listened to the loudly beeping stall warnings though.

Yeah, I believe the autopilot was disengaged, but the fly-by-wire system tried to override the pilots' inputs when the computer judged it would lead to a stall.

Ultimately, the pilots should have been able to not induce a stall, and to recognize the threat of causing a stall given the conditions, because that's a basic skill of pilotage.

I would point to the "miracle on the Hudson" and the recent incident in LAS with the British Airways flight as things that wouldn't have been as competently handled by even an advanced autopilot. Saying that the compute flies the plane also discounts the work done by a captain/PIC in terms of flight planning and pre-flight procedures, and deciding when it may not be safe to follow an ATC clearance or instruction.