Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
California EPA Moves to Label Monsanto's Roundup 'Carcinogenic' (Notice on California Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment website).

According to this story linked above, the evidence used looks sketchy (underline mine):

quote:

What evidence is there for a link between glyphosate and cancer?
The IARC review notes that there is limited evidence for a link to cancer in humans. Although several studies have shown that people who work with the herbicide seem to be at increased risk of a cancer type called non-Hodgkin lymphoma, the report notes that a separate huge US study, the Agricultural Health Study, found no link to non-Hodgkin lymphomas. That study followed thousands of farmers and looked at whether they had increased risk of cancer.

But other evidence, including from animal studies, led the IARC to its ‘probably carcinogenic’ classification. Glyphosate has been linked to tumours in mice and rats — and there is also what the IARC classifies as ‘mechanistic evidence’, such as DNA damage to human cells from exposure to glyphosate.

Are people still using the Seralini study, or is there a separate source of evidence for increased cancer generation in rats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

California also lists 'Living, The Sun, Bad Opinions, and Staring Contests' as carcinogens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's also openly not within the agency's purview. Should be interesting to see if this gets swatted down by the feds- I'm not sure which agency would take the fore, possibly FTC.

Whoops, the news report is inaccurate- it's the OEHHA within their COEPA, which probably does have authority. Still could present a conflict problem, and is still probably dumb, though. The comments in the news article are fun!

edit: interesting- the relevant statute that requires the agency to list and assign warning labels to IARC listed substances is, to put it mildly, controversial.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Here's the report they are using to make the decision:

http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol112/mono112-02.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Reading through the citations:

"Hey, no Seralini this might be.....

Oh, there he is."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Reading through the citations:

"Hey, no Seralini this might be.....

Oh, there he is."

The Séralini growth has metastasized. :smith:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've only skimmed it so far, but in their defense the first couple of times he's mentioned they have "[working group does not consider this to be a sufficient study on glysophate carcinogenicity]" in the comments section of their table.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
By my limited understanding, the IARC report and probable carcinogen finding was sound, the problems are in the uses it is being put to. The studies that bore most of the weight had to do with farm workers exposed directly to spraying and not with consumer-side exposure rates.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 8, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

By my limited understanding, the IARC report and probable carcinogen finding was sound, the problems are in the uses it is being put to. The studies that bore most of the weight had to do with farm workers exposed directly to spraying and not with consumer-side exposure rates.

Yeah, that was my understanding too. The IARC basically came out saying "If you bathe in this poo poo and exceed your exposure limit, you may get cancer."

Which is reasonable.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
It's also completely unsurprising that enough of some compound causes cancer, just like many other compounds people encounter regularly. The question is whether it causes enough cancer at a sufficiently low dose to be worth worrying about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blowfish posted:

It's also completely unsurprising that enough of some compound causes cancer, just like many other compounds people encounter regularly. The question is whether it causes enough cancer at a sufficiently low dose to be worth worrying about.

Based on the report, it's sufficient evidence that spraying practices, especially around fieldhands, should be examined and probably modified. I'm assuming glysophate has a "look, drinking this is bad" label on it already, which in my uneducated opinion would be sufficient for consumer-side bottles of roundup.

...Iunno, a carcinogen warning on consumer-facing weed spray materials might be appropriate if properly designed. I just don't trust California to be the arbiter here.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
Milkweed chat:

Thought I'd bring to this thread's attention the products being rolled out by a Quebec company that is developing uses for milkweed fibres. They are already supplying Parks Canada with oil-spill clean up kits, are touting milkweed as a cheaper alternative to down insulation , and are pushing for farmers in Quebec and Vermont to produce milkweed.

Company website here , watch out for awkward French-English translation.

It's neat to see this kind of stuff. That said, I definitely endorse an emphasis on landscape ecology rather than species specific conservation strategies (though they are seldom mutually exclusive). So other than hypothetically helping monarch butterflies, I'm not entirely sure how beneficial fields full of milkweed monocultures will be.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I seem to recall a long argument about various types of sugar syrups. A few researchers in the USDA and UMinn St. Paul did some research and seem to have conclusively established that honey, sucrose, and HFCS are pretty much the same.

quote:

Background: Public health recommendations call for a reduction in added sugars; however, controversy exits over whether all nutritive sweeteners produce similar metabolic effects.

Objective: The aim was to compare the effects of the chronic consumption of 3 nutritive sweeteners [honey, sucrose, and high-fructose corn syrup containing 55% fructose (HFCS55)] on circulating glucose, insulin, lipids, and inflammatory markers; body weight; and blood pressure in individuals with normal glucose tolerance (GT) and those with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT).

Methods: In a crossover design, participants consumed daily, in random order, 50 g carbohydrate from assigned sweeteners for 2 wk with a 2- to 4-wk washout period between treatments. Participants included 28 GT and 27 IGT volunteers with a mean age of 38.9 ± 3.6 y and 52.1 ± 2.7 y, respectively, and a body mass index (in kg/m2) of 26 ± 0.8 and 31.5 ± 1.0, respectively. Body weight, blood pressure (BP), serum inflammatory markers, lipids, fasting glucose and insulin, and oral-glucose-tolerance tests (OGTTs) were completed pre- and post-treatment. The OGTT incremental areas under the curve (iAUCs) for glucose and insulin were determined and homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) scores were calculated.

Results: Body weight and serum glucose, insulin, inflammatory markers, and total and LDL-cholesterol concentrations were significantly higher in the IGT group than in the GT group at baseline. Glucose, insulin, HOMA-IR, and the OGTT iAUC for glucose or insulin did not differ by treatment, but all responses were significantly higher in the IGT group compared with the GT group. Body weight was unchanged by treatment. Systolic BP was unchanged, whereas diastolic BP was significantly lower in response to sugar intake across all treatments. An increase in high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) was observed in the IGT group in response to all sugars. No treatment effect was observed for interleukin 6. HDL cholesterol did not differ as a result of status or treatment. Triglyceride (TG) concentrations increased significantly from pre- to post-treatment in response to all sugars tested.

Conclusions: Daily intake of 50 g carbohydrate from honey, sucrose, or HFCS55 for 14 d resulted in similar effects on measures of glycemia, lipid metabolism, and inflammation. All 3 increased TG concentrations in both GT and IGT individuals and elevated glycemic and inflammatory responses in the latter. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01371266.

Now I know what's going to stand out for you, Discendo Vox: added sugar

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I seem to recall a long argument about various types of sugar syrups. A few researchers in the USDA and UMinn St. Paul did some research and seem to have conclusively established that honey, sucrose, and HFCS are pretty much the same.

Now I know what's going to stand out for you, Discendo Vox: added sugar

You know me too well :) I've slightly modified my stance on the subject, actually! "added sugar" has at least something like a meaningful definition on the industry side-though the term isn't all that useful in that context, either. It's still meaningless from a consumer or health perspective, though. My current triggers are "Made with Real Sugar" and misleading serving size applications. Calling someone to get more information on regulation of the latter tonight, actually.

Edit: funding from "Big Honey" (which is surprisingly well organized), but the results don't particularly benefit the group, so it's probably fine. I don't know the researchers in particular. The design seems sound aside from shallow statistical reporting and limited power. I'm still trying to get access (it's hard to navigate to these early edition articles)- my main concern will be differential dose size and the background section.

Edit 2:
Oh, come on.

quote:

Limitations
Specific limitations of our trial should be taken into account. First, we implemented this trial as an outpatient supplementation study and relied on reported compliance to assigned sugar intakes. Participants were asked to restrict the consumption of other added nutritive sweeteners and were queried about this. However, the only variable we used was the intake of the assigned sweetener. Second, our intervention did not include a control test beverage without a nutritive sweetener. Last, the sample size was relatively small and the intervention period of 14 d was short. Although this period is long enough to alter glycemic responses, it did not allow us to evaluate the effect of the treatments on body weight regulation over time

That's a couple of gaps big enough to drive a truck through. I wish someone would just pony up for full intake control. I mean, 14 days isn't all that expensive for this sort of thing. After some time studying the literature and attending talks, I've come to realize that nutrition science is methodologically about a decade behind my own social science area. People are still reporting only significance thresholds on their outcome variable, which was considered a bad practice in the 50s.

Thanks for this article, AA. I have several ideas about how to use it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 14, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can I still hate on HFCS because it makes soda suck when its used instead of cane sugar?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Can I still hate on HFCS because it makes soda suck when its used instead of cane sugar?

No. Properly run double blind taste tests generally find that the difference is imperceptible, to the extent that it exists (one or the other, I forget which, breaks down pretty rapidly into the other in the manufacturing process). The distinctions you taste usually have to do with other differences in the sourcing of ingredients, or that the cane sugar sweetened soda has more sugar in general.

To re-emphasize for third parties, the Corn Refiners' Association are by no means a nice bunch, and people they've hired, like Rick Berman, are absolutely horrible. In the context of the cane vs. hfcs material, though, they happen to be in the right- and their opponents, the cane sugar people, are much better at information manipulation.

I just found this article, which appears to be a decent account of how insane this whole corn vs cane business is.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 14, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's molecularly the same thing. So I suspect it's not just the HFCS.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Well whatever it is, the Mexican Coke I buy tastes better so I'm going to keep buying it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well whatever it is, the Mexican Coke I buy tastes better so I'm going to keep buying it.

Oh, it's probably the lead then.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's not molecularly the same thing, it just ends up being the same thing (sucrose breaks down to glucose and fructose). So, it's conceivable that they taste different. They just don't.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I've found I can taste a difference. The HFCS leaves an aftertaste that sucrose does not. I realize that they're metabolized the same way, but having sucrose on the tongue versus fructose/glucose does make for a slight flavor difference.

Sucrose sweetened drinks have a crisper taste, while that HFCS aftertaste lingers and feels slimy at the back of my throat.

So I think people can make valid claims about the differences. The problem comes when they try to push it beyond a taste preference into something biological.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

No. Properly run double blind taste tests generally find that the difference is imperceptible, to the extent that it exists (one or the other, I forget which, breaks down pretty rapidly into the other in the manufacturing process). The distinctions you taste usually have to do with other differences in the sourcing of ingredients, or that the cane sugar sweetened soda has more sugar in general.

To re-emphasize for third parties, the Corn Refiners' Association are by no means a nice bunch, and people they've hired, like Rick Berman, are absolutely horrible. In the context of the cane vs. hfcs material, though, they happen to be in the right- and their opponents, the cane sugar people, are much better at information manipulation.

I just found this article, which appears to be a decent account of how insane this whole corn vs cane business is.

Rick Berman ruined Star Trek so it's not surprising that he's behind all of this HFCS poo poo

Deteriorata posted:

I've found I can taste a difference. The HFCS leaves an aftertaste that sucrose does not. I realize that they're metabolized the same way, but having sucrose on the tongue versus fructose/glucose does make for a slight flavor difference.

Sucrose sweetened drinks have a crisper taste, while that HFCS aftertaste lingers and feels slimy at the back of my throat.

So I think people can make valid claims about the differences. The problem comes when they try to push it beyond a taste preference into something biological.

Yeah okay, but have you actually done a blind taste test where the products had equal quantities of HFCS or Table Sugar? Simply sampling two Cokes that were made in completely different places, with potentially different recipes in addition to ingredients, doesn't mean much.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We've probably dogpiled him enough given he was half-joking when he first said it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I can't speak for Coke specifically, but tons of sodas use formulas much more different than just HFCS vs cane sugar in different countries so on. Take Pepsi "Throwback" for example, the one they came out with a while ago that's cane sugar based. They didn't just switch the sugar source, it has different flavorings in it - Pepsi regular has citric acid as part of the ingredients (either for a hint of citrus flavor as part of an extract or just for its own mild sourness, the ingredients list sure doesn't say), while Pepsi Throwback doesn't.

And besides that, different bottling plants will have different tap water coming in, and different methods of filtering it before it's mixed with the syrups. So the exact same syrup mixed in different parts of the same country, let alone other countries, can have different hints of taste from the source water.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My wife is absolutely certain that Coke from a McDonald's soda fountain tastes different from any other Coke. Probably something to do with the specific syrup manufacturer and the way the water is carbonated.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My wife is absolutely certain that Coke from a McDonald's soda fountain tastes different from any other Coke. Probably something to do with the specific syrup manufacturer and the way the water is carbonated.
Or just them watering it down.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

The formula, even in the same region, is affected by a ton of difference variables: is is pre- or post-mix, the various systems the syrup is used in, etc. These formula changes impact taste. And then, as Fishmech points out, different regional or subtypes have very different formulas.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Strudel Man posted:

Or just them watering it down.

To clarify, she thinks McDonald's coke is *better* than coke from a can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDonald's corporate probably does have a standard mixing ratio and method that they want their franchisees to stick to, which may be different from other places or the bottlers.

And in general a lot of people prefer the way a "fresher" fountain-mixed soda tastes compared to soda that sat in a glass or plastic bottle or metal can for a while. Pretty much for the same reasons that some people swear by glass bottled soda versus cans, or cans versus plastic bottles, etc.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Possibly glass bottles? I don't know if plastic vs. glass bottling will survive double blind testing, but it makes the drinking experience different.

As for fountain, I love fountain drinks but they're finicky and variable, and having worked at restaurants in the past I know how gross they get if they're not taken apart and cleaned regularly. Might be McDonalds is strict on it, since they do a lot of micromanaging of how franchisees do things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Killer robot posted:

Possibly glass bottles? I don't know if plastic vs. glass bottling will survive double blind testing, but it makes the drinking experience different.

This is a known thing, at least for glass vs canned beer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wouldn't be surprised that the way soda flows out of the different containers also affects taste/texture in a way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In conclusion, soda is a land of contrasts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In conclusion, soda is a land of contrasts.
Not on sweeteners though! :argh:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 16, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

computer parts posted:

This is a known thing, at least for glass vs canned beer.

Right, it's well-known that canned beer tastes better since it gets less light exposure

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

To clarify, she thinks McDonald's coke is *better* than coke from a can.
Sever.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

It's true :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aluminum cans definitely have a taste (like aluminum foil but not anywhere near as strong, not really bad imo) but I don't think it gets into the soda directly in the actual can since it's not there if you pour the canned soda into a cup and drink from the cup. Or maybe the soda itself overwhelms it so you can really only taste it direct from the can and it's not altering the taste of the soda so much as the taste just before and after the soda, I dunno. Never noticed any sort of taste difference between glass and plastic, though smooth glass does have a better mouthfeel than the screwy plastic ridges.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

mods, ban this sick filth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

mods, ban this sick filth.

Maybe that's the real problem with GMOs - they've just got that terrible mouthfeel.

• Locked thread