Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
In one of our games Discipline:2 was used to score Beat and Belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Any additions/subtractions/modifications to the above? Am I leaning too heavy on one genre and light on others?

There's some excellent, excellent game suggestions in the OP.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

The 3 things that prevent me from really getting into either RFTG game:

1. Almost no player interactivity
2. Strategies seem determined by (or destroyed by) luck of the draw or roll.
3. Unlike Dominion, it feels like I can barely get an engine set up before the game ends.

Are those persistent issues or am I missing something important? Because I've played Race quite a few times and, while Roll is more streamlined in other ways, it doesn't seem to improve on these points.

1. The interactivity is there, but it is mainly leeching and deciding when to end the game. No direct interaction. Lots of mind games.
2. Dice rolls really dont matter much. Drawn tiles might matter more.
3. I do wish the game could last a bit longer, maybe an expansion will have a "long game variant"?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Working in West Africa and just moved into a house with several more international development people, and we want to acquire a stash of board/card games for entertaining. Expected audience would be reasonably bright and nerdy expat folks but not necessarily serious gamers. We can get stuff mailed through USPS so shipping wise it's like being in the U.S. but takes longer.

If we have a budget of $100-150 max, what should we try and get? Pretty broad question, but my initial thoughts include:

- try to get a used bulk lot on eBay of Risk, Clue, Monopoly, stuff like that for $30 all together
- one of the basic Munchkin sets, probably the classic one, $25
- Machi Koro, that Japan town-building card game, seems pretty accessible even for newbies, $20
- Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, since a Mafia-type game would be good to have for large groups of 8+, $20
- some version of Settlers of Catan since that seems mandatory, $30 used?
- ditto for some version of Ticket to Ride, $30 used

I'm not counting basic stuff like cards, dice, dominoes that are negligible cost, and for next to nothing I can have a local carpenter make us boards for old-school games like backgammon, go, tablut, mancala, etc.

Any additions/subtractions/modifications to the above? Am I leaning too heavy on one genre and light on others?

People in the thread would probably not recommend the classics, but if you can get them for cheap, go for them: they are still a useful base, they can get people interested because they are familiar to everyone. I would suggest finding the shorter classics: stuff like monopoly can be rather boring unless you cut the game short.

I would not recommend Munchkin: if the people in your group aren't all into D&D jokes it can fall flat, and the game itself is frustrating and can take too long. I would avoid it if possible. I would recommend something like 'Welcome to the Dungeon' or 'Cutthroat Caverns' if you are looking for a somewhat of a similar feel/theme.

In terms of getting Machi Koro, if you already have Settlers of Catan, I would avoid it. There's a lot of overlap between the games and there isn't really that much to recommend Machi Koro over the classic Settlers.

How big are your groups? I would recommend one of the versions of Resistance instead of Werewolves if you are 10 or less, since it's a better game without player elimination. If you are looking for more party games, the current hotness Codenames is really good, but you do need most of the people in your group to be well versed in English, so it might not be applicable to your group.

Ticket to ride is a good choice and I would recommend it. Do you know what sort of games people in your group have played already?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I remember seeing some kind of guide to making the most out of customizing the Front Page of BGG to make it more targeted towards my interests and less of a hot mess. I can't find it now, does anyone know what I'm talking about? The normal BGG guides aren't very robust.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Working in West Africa and just moved into a house with several more international development people, and we want to acquire a stash of board/card games for entertaining. Expected audience would be reasonably bright and nerdy expat folks but not necessarily serious gamers. We can get stuff mailed through USPS so shipping wise it's like being in the U.S. but takes longer.

If we have a budget of $100-150 max, what should we try and get? Pretty broad question, but my initial thoughts include:

- try to get a used bulk lot on eBay of Risk, Clue, Monopoly, stuff like that for $30 all together
- Machi Koro, that Japan town-building card game, seems pretty accessible even for newbies, $20
- Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, since a Mafia-type game would be good to have for large groups of 8+, $20

I'm not counting basic stuff like cards, dice, dominoes that are negligible cost, and for next to nothing I can have a local carpenter make us boards for old-school games like backgammon, go, tablut, mancala, etc.

There's very little reason to get Risk/Clue/Monopoly etc, they are all bad games. A backgammon/draughts/chess set will serve you much better. Machi Koro is also kind of dull, there are very few interesting decisions to make in the game, and the less said about Munchkin the better.

Ticket to Ride (and maybe Catan) is the only game in your list I'd bother getting tbh

Consider Risk Legacy if you are going to be playing with the same 4-5 guys a lot, it's just flat out better than regular Risk and grows as you play it, but accessible enough for guys who've only played Risk to get interested.

Codenames is the current thread darling and an excellent team game for both experienced gamers and complete rookies, works well with 4-8 but needs all players to be near-fluent in English

I'd go with The Resistance: Avalon instead of a werewolf game; it's very similar but punchier and without player elimination. If you really need 'Werewolf' to be in the title, One Night Ultimate Werewolf does the Werewolf thing in 5-10 minutes instead of an entire night.

Definitely go for Dominion (or Dominion: Intrigue) if you want something with a ton of replay value. If you like it, you can expand out into one of the 10 or so expansions.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Cardhaus has the best prices and you can get free US shipping at $125. If I was going for gateway/one size fits all games knowing what I know now. I might do:

Bohnanza - Feeds the trading/negotiation itch of Catan (for $30 less). You can also play this with up to 7.
Carcassonne - Easy to learn tile placement. Good deal of strategy/interaction for such a simple game. Plays up to 5.
Codenames - The current thread darling. Plays great up to 8. Everyone loves word games.
Love Letter - Fun little bluffing game. Probably the most popular filler out there.
Pictomania - A great drawing game where you don't have to be good at drawing. Plays great up to 6.
Sushi Go! - Card drafting in a tight fun little package.
The Resistance - Like Werewolf but better :)
Ticket to Ride - I like Europe better, but the USA version is good too.

e: Good point on Codenames and English. Pictomania would have the same restrictions. The rest of these games are language independent. You could sub in Dominion for Pictomania but then you're going to want to buy all the expansions after like two plays.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

T-Bone posted:

Cardhaus has the best prices and you can get free US shipping at $125. If I was going for gateway/one size fits all games knowing what I know now. I might do:

Bohnanza - Feeds the trading/negotiation itch of Catan (for $30 less). You can also play this with up to 7.
Carcassonne - Easy to learn tile placement. Good deal of strategy/interaction for such a simple game. Plays up to 5.
Codenames - The current thread darling. Plays great up to 8. Everyone loves word games.
Love Letter - Fun little bluffing game. Probably the most popular filler out there.
Pictomania - A great drawing game where you don't have to be good at drawing. Plays great up to 6.

All these are good picks too! Getting this assortment of games will suit you for most eventualities. I might recommend plain ol' Pictionary over Pictomania as it's pretty intense for non-gamers.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
If you're going to get ticket to ride might as well get an African map.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Dixit would probably be a good pick too and it's another one that is completely language independent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Twilight Struggle has lots of African stuff in it!

(:v:)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nobody's yet suggested Campaign for West North Africa? Shame, shame.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

What aspect of those games do you like? Is it just the 'weight' of them or is it something else?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Kemet :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

It does have a multi-language rulebook

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I tried my system with some BIG battles, including Volkare with a pretty big army. It was a definite plus having my token system prototype and I learned a lot, especially about the two or three missing pieces needed to really make it work.

I am a huge proponent of prototyping as soon and as often as feasible and that remains true. Just as important as the concept was the physical design and prototyping and testing was critical to learning what worked and what didn't. For example, dark colors for tokens are a no-go because they just don't stand out enough against the card color schemes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

T-Bone posted:

e: Good point on Codenames and English. Pictomania would have the same restrictions. The rest of these games are language independent. You could sub in Dominion for Pictomania but then you're going to want to buy all the expansions after like two plays.

This is a great selection, I think. I might throw in a dexterity game like Click Clack Lumberjack or Bling Bling Gemstone, since those are fun, ridiculous icebreakers. Dominion is also a good intro game, and I think I'd replace Ticket to Ride with that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah Click Clack would be a great choice too. You can also get Loopin Louie or the Star Wars variant for like $15-$20 at Toys R Us (with free shipping I believe).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 16, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well I ordered Shogun and Copper Country last night. I figured that CC - a game about labor and exploitation in Michigan - was basically tailor made for me so if someone is going to buy it I might as well, and Shogun seems cute enough. Unfortunately I had a chance of heart this morning and realized that I can't really afford two games right now so I cancelled Shogun buuuuuutttttt apparently it's too late and Amazon can't cancel it. Well owned me, I guess. Time to liquidate some of my other games. I've never sold board games before, is it generally assumed that buyer pays shipping and to include that in the offered price?

korora
Sep 3, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

The 3 things that prevent me from really getting into either RFTG game:

1. Almost no player interactivity
2. Strategies seem determined by (or destroyed by) luck of the draw or roll.
3. Unlike Dominion, it feels like I can barely get an engine set up before the game ends.

Are those persistent issues or am I missing something important? Because I've played Race quite a few times and, while Roll is more streamlined in other ways, it doesn't seem to improve on these points.

I've only played Roll a couple of times so I won't speak to that, but for Race:

0. Are you playing the two-player advanced rules? Play the two-player advanced rules. The pace is a lot better and there are fewer players drawing your cards. It's also easier to pay attention to what only one opponent is doing.

1. It's true that there isn't really any direct interaction (at least until you get the second expansion). It's also true that you probably can't win against a good player if you ignore your opponent's strategy—you have to be on the look out for cards that will benefit from their actions (like cards that draw in the produce phase, if your opponent is playing produce/consume), avoid feeding them actions they need (stay away from Settle and Explore against a military strategy), and possibly even hold key cards for their strategy in your hand until after the reshuffle.

2. In Race you make your own luck. You get to determine (through the actions you select and the cards you play) how many cards you will see and if you see more cards than your opponent you will probably get better cards than they do, and you will certainly be able to pay for more cards than they can. This is part of what makes Race so elegant: getting more options also gives you more currency. It's true, though, that you can't go into a game of Race with a set endgame strategy in mind; you're rewarded instead for staying flexible until you've collected enough cards to form a cohesive strategy. Often this means you want to wait until you have your key 6-cost development before committing. Fortunately, there are a lot of ways to generate card draws in the early game; my personal favorite is to Settle a cheap green or yellow windfall planet for a nice Consume-Trade boost. That amounts to giving up VPs (since you're spending a turn and a tableau slot on a low-VP card) in exchange for cards and pace, which is very worthwhile in the first few turns.

The first expansion also helps a lot with this because it gives you things to do in the early game if your cards don't have a clear direction they're going in—every game you randomly choose a set of bonuses for the "first player to get _____" or "most _____ at the end of the game".

3. Not every strategy in Race requires an engine, but there are basically two kinds: card-draw (often Produce -> Consume-Trade + Trade bonuses but there are a lot of ways) or VP chips (pretty much always Produce -> Consume-2x VP). A pure military strategy doesn't usually involve an engine because playing military cards generally gets you more military power in the long run and you're not spending cards at nearly the same rate. No matter what your strategy, though, "Race" is really the key word: you want to end the game as quickly as possible to keep time pressure on your opponent. That means if you're running a VP engine, as soon as you have 4-6 chips of Produce/Consume capacity, you can and should just stop playing cards into your tableau and run the chips out as quickly as possible. If you have a card engine, you want to be playing high-value cards as quickly as you can.

If you're not able to run your engine, that might mean you're not staying focused enough—if you try to build both card draw and VP engines that'll slow you down. Also, a lot of the cards you need for a VP engine actively detract from a card engine: if your card engine runs on Consume-Trade, you ideally want zero VP chip generation so you can Consume multiple times for each Produce. (Don't forget that Consume is mandatory!)

Anyways, I'm burned out on Race right now but I still think it's a great game and has a nice skill progression. It's also cheap and doesn't take long to play so there's not much of a barrier to entry.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

T-Bone posted:

Yeah Click Clack would be a great choice too. You can also get Loopin Louie or the Star Wars variant for like $15-$20 at Toys R Us (with free shipping I believe).

Jenga is the best dexterity game, followed closely by Crokinole :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZrGKn66mI

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Shuffleboard and Bocce are way better than Crokinole if we're ignoring price point :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

T-Bone posted:

Shuffleboard and Bocce are way better than Crokinole if we're ignoring price point :colbert:

No grandpa, if we are ignoring price point than Curling is the most superior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclw6BDV2Ns

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I've never sold board games before, is it generally assumed that buyer pays shipping and to include that in the offered price?

Find your appropriate "local boardgame sales" forum on BGG, and sell local. I'm sure it varies by location; for me, I'm in a medium sized city in Canada and I have no trouble liquidating stuff. It helps that I can price very cheaply, when compared to, say, EBay prices that require shipping.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

jmzero posted:

Find your appropriate "local boardgame sales" forum on BGG, and sell local. I'm sure it varies by location; for me, I'm in a medium sized city in Canada and I have no trouble liquidating stuff. It helps that I can price very cheaply, when compared to, say, EBay prices that require shipping.

Yeah, I just post my poo poo on my facebook when I purge. I have enough gamer friends that I usually get rid of it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Rutibex posted:

No grandpa, if we are ignoring price point than Curling is the most superior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclw6BDV2Ns

Being on ice without skates is an abomination.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Well I ordered Shogun and Copper Country last night. I figured that CC - a game about labor and exploitation in Michigan - was basically tailor made for me so if someone is going to buy it I might as well, and Shogun seems cute enough. Unfortunately I had a chance of heart this morning and realized that I can't really afford two games right now so I cancelled Shogun buuuuuutttttt apparently it's too late and Amazon can't cancel it. Well owned me, I guess. Time to liquidate some of my other games. I've never sold board games before, is it generally assumed that buyer pays shipping and to include that in the offered price?

That's how BGG auctions go. Here's the thing that made me stop looking at auctions entirely, though: shipping board games is expensive. You will either compete with major retailers on the price, or you will make maybe 5-10 bucks a game.

Here's an example. I was looking at an auction for King of New York. The listing was for $20. I got a shipping quote, and the shipping alone was $13. For just $2 more I can order the game and get in in two days with buyer protection from Amazon Prime.

I would either try to sell locally or cut corners somewhere else in life for a few weeks. That being said, I would check out anything that you're selling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll look into local sales, though I'm probably stupid as hell because I can't find a local selling forum on BGG, just a "michigan and other region" forum and there doesn't appear to be any sales discussion there. I won't clog up the thread anymore, but if anyone is interested in any of these games and lives in michigan or something feel free to shoot me a PM:

Kemet
Temporum
Suburbia
The Cave
Descent: 1st Edition
World of Warcraft: The Board Game + first (only?) two expansions
Tokaido

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man I want Kemet and live in Indiana but I don't have a car. (Why does it seem like half the goons here are midwesterners?)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Instead of using flat rate shipping then, use regular shipping. It'll be cheaper than flat rate.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 17, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jmzero posted:

In the past few months I've sold a handful of games on the BGG market/auction site. So far it's worked out nicely for me (sold a copy of Fury of Dracula for ~$100 a month before they announced the reprint). I think it's a useful tool for looking to buy or sell hard to find or out of print games, but the shipping is probably not worth it for stuff you can buy at a place like miniature market or on amazon.

This is also a problem with 'trading' games on BGG and why I rarely bother with it anymore.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lorini posted:

Instead of using flat rape shipping then

Definitely avoid this.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I've had good luck selling on the monthly Reddit boardgame bazaar, though being in a major city helps. I've had much more success with it than trying to sell on BGG.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

homullus posted:

Definitely avoid this.
Yeah, don't get screwed

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I'll look into local sales, though I'm probably stupid as hell because I can't find a local selling forum on BGG, just a "michigan and other region" forum and there doesn't appear to be any sales discussion there.

yeah if anyone could help find these local sales threads for different areas, BGG is a quagmire. I can't find anything for the bay area, ca.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've found that for smaller dense games like gmt stuff, it's usually about the same as flat rate. Bigger boxes end up costing more than flat rate though. Blanc, sell games that I don't already own and I'll meet you somewhere and buy in bulk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

I've found that for smaller dense games like gmt stuff, it's usually about the same as flat rate. Bigger boxes end up costing more than flat rate though. Blanc, sell games that I don't already own and I'll meet you somewhere and buy in bulk.

Unfortunately the only thing not on that list I'd probably be willing to part with is BattleCON w/ kickstarter stuff, Lagoon, and Dungeon Lords and I have a sneaking suspicion most people who want those already have them

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

yeah if anyone could help find these local sales threads for different areas, BGG is a quagmire. I can't find anything for the bay area, ca.

Lol - they have one forum for the Canadian territory of Nunavut (population 31,000), and one for "United States - West" (100 million?). Shockingly, the latter doesn't seem to function as well for people selling individual boardgames.

VVV: At my FLGS the other day, I saw someone negotiating to buy a massive set of Killer Bunnies expansions for $250.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 17, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Speaking of selling board games-- anyone want to buy my friend's copy of Killer Bunnies to burn and then post a video of it on youtube?

I saw her trying to sell it at a garage sale for a quarter. She says she's on board with the above plan if anyone wants to pay shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If she'll sell it at a garage sale for a quarter why don't you buy it and burn it on youtube yourself?