Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hi guys, not looking to cause any drama but can you just let me know if there's a season mode in this game? It was pretty fun to try and turn the Panthers into a competitive team back when I played NHL13, even if playing the games could be frustrating. Not really interested in online play, just solo managing a team, making trades, developing prospects that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yep, be a gm is your fully fleshed out season mode. There's also a barebones season mode, though there's no option to shorten the season.

I also can't figure out where online couch co-op is supposed to be. I thought a friend could join me in online team play and/or versus.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also, can someone try out local versus and confirm that its impossible to have both players play with the adaptive training? It seems like both players can get the control tips, but the pass lane indicators and goalie stuff only works for the person heading up ice.

Please confirm.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My BaP is mister excitement. On the ice 1/3 of the time and for 3/4 of the goals.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why did I have a 2.4gb download before I could even start?

Also, how does one play with the PS4 goons?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

KDdidit posted:

My BaP is mister excitement. On the ice 1/3 of the time and for 3/4 of the goals.

Same.

Also sometimes the game just decides that you're going to lose every face off that game no matter what. Or so it seems. Maybe I just need to turn difficulty down since my TV has a lot of display lag.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
They took CPU vs. CPU watch mode out? Those bastards!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I picked it up after work because I'm a masochist and screwed with it for a few hours. It's an improvement over 14 (the last one I owned) and the presentation is pretty sleek. The puck is super springy and ricochets around the place like it's coated in pig grease. Goals fly in off defenders pretty much all the time, so long as you gently shove a CPU d man in front of the net with a forechecker they'll lose the puck and casually slide it on their own net pretty frequently. Point shots immediately off attacking zone faceoffs are still pretty much an automatic goal. Generally scoring is crazy, and the game plays catch up like it's Mario Kart 64. I played 5 games and not one was decided by more than a goal (empty netters aside), and in each one one or both teams managed to blow a multi goal lead.

With that said, hitting is a lot more reasonable and actually backing off a defender and playing a bit more passively is a viable option. Skating and momentum seem sharp, and the visual tutor thing was useful if somewhat distracting after a while. Setting up in the attacking zone was infrequent, but rewarding when you managed it. Actually working a puck around into a scoring area was incredibly satisfying, although just throwing the puck on net from any angle remains the best option.

I didn't really delve into the other gameplay modes (other than a single BAP game where I managed 4 points but lost in a shootout because my defender literally one timed the puck into his own net), so I can't comment on them. Overall it still feels like a polished version of the last gen game. Improved, but not markedly so. Maybe I need to fiddle with sliders and stuff, but it's still really ping pongy even on the 'simulation' setting. At C$90 with tax it's a bit of a tough pill to swallow considering it doesn't offer a single unique feature, but I guess I'll see what the other game types are like before I make my final judgement.

As a final note: they don't let you do spinoramas in the shootout like the real NHL, so basically the game is stupid and devoid of fun.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ok new thing I'm having trouble with. I can't seem to do one timers in bap. I used to be able to in previous iterations. Did something change? How do you do a one timer in bap?

E: luck plays a part it seems, as well as really precise timing. Maybe holding L2 might help as well. More often than not you'll just catch the puck and hold it weird, or if your dude even attempts the one timer, they'll likely whiff. Badly. I think something changed or it just got more finicky than before. Or a year off of NHL has made me lovely.

ssb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Why did I have a 2.4gb download before I could even start?

Also, how does one play with the PS4 goons?

To patch out Kane from the title graphic.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I wish I could play hockeymans on PC :(

And football mans. We have soccer, so what the gently caress EA?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

To patch out Kane from the title graphic.

If you buy a hut pack Kane is on the logo :v:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Is off ice training the only way to increase attributes like speed and balance etc?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's an odd little AI bug I've noticed twice so far in the PS4 version: sometimes when the puck is on the ice and alongside of the side of the net, the AI doesn't seem to know how to play it, and the puck just sits there with nobody touching it. Anybody else notice this?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Enjoying the game so far. Had BAP crash once and I lost like 3 games of progress. Why it doesn't save automatically between games or even periods, I have no loving clue. The menus take forrrrrreverrrrrr to click through. It's almost as if it tries to hit the EA servers every time I select something.

I randomly picked the Erie Otters for my BAP team because I liked the name. Turns out I got put on McDavid's line. We score a lot of goals.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was drafted by Edmonton :smith:

edit: I'm actually really glad BAP got rid of the player interviews. Hated those.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 16, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I like this one more than 14 even though I cant skip to next shift for some reason. Makes BAP games take longer than they should. :argh:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Furnaceface posted:

I like this one more than 14 even though I cant skip to next shift for some reason. Makes BAP games take longer than they should. :argh:

When you're not playing, the coach feedback thing should pop up and while that's active, pressing B (on the Xbox One, so circle on the PS4 I guess) should sim to the next shift. If that feedback box is not showing up, press Y (or triangle?) to bring it up.

If that's not the issue for you, how is it not working?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
It may be the EASHL class I'm playing ( Defensive Defenseman) or my unfamiliarity with the xbox one triggers, but i cant pass for poo poo online.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

SneakyFrog posted:

It may be the EASHL class I'm playing ( Defensive Defenseman) or my unfamiliarity with the xbox one triggers, but i cant pass for poo poo online.

It's the class. I go with TWD for what I think is the best balance. Offensive defenseman is the best passer I believe.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Furnaceface posted:

Der Shovel posted:

When you're not playing, the coach feedback thing should pop up and while that's active, pressing B (on the Xbox One, so circle on the PS4 I guess) should sim to the next shift. If that feedback box is not showing up, press Y (or triangle?) to bring it up.

If that's not the issue for you, how is it not working?

There's also that setting when you start up your BaP where it asks if you want "classic" or "authentic" shifts. If you set it to the other you're screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed and gonna have to sit through everything I believe.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I present to you "Matt Bartowski: Born to be a Canuck"

(sorry about the quality, I couldn't figure out how to save video clips so I had to record it off my phone)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Enjoying the game so far. Had BAP crash once and I lost like 3 games of progress. Why it doesn't save automatically between games or even periods, I have no loving clue. The menus take forrrrrreverrrrrr to click through. It's almost as if it tries to hit the EA servers every time I select something.

I randomly picked the Erie Otters for my BAP team because I liked the name. Turns out I got put on McDavid's line. We score a lot of goals.

I spent half the day dicking around with my internet to get online. To pass the time I was playing around with season mode... the menus are slow as poo poo. Also signing FAs is retarded. It's organized by name only and you can't sort any other way mid season (as far as I can tell). The one plus side is that simming your games is now a lot quicker since I humor myself by basically simming the regular season as gm and then playing playoffs.

Now that I have some solid experience, I actually think no bs that this is a pretty good edition. It's like 14 but almost resembling real hockey. The biggest thing that I have noticed is collision physics. For years, my mo has been hang along the half boards, bait a couple defenders into murdering me, and then throwing the puck where they were coming from. That really doesn't work now, at least not with normal pass. I can still get it off if I saucer it (they've really made this a lot more effective for those cross creasers fyi) but the days of lazering a pass on the ice through 4 people or even just one guy is gone.

This is def a good thing it just takes a couple games to adjust to.

Other than that, I like it so far. EASHL with the builds is much more balanced. It's just lame that you can't even have variation on height and stuff.

Lots of people were saying that hitting is a lot harder but I definitely disagree. It's worth noting that I've been playing as PWF. SBA had me worried about the changes effecting my playstyle. Outside of the thing I touched on up top, it's pretty similar. The other thing I noticed is that how players bounce off of you has changed. Protect puck is a lot stronger, and if you deke turn off a hitter you can definitely still shrug them away. However, just getting hit in stride knocks you off a lot more now, and that's me playing as PWF.

The weakness about PWF is non existent high end speed, which is ok for me. Agility, acceleration, and hands aren't top notch but it's more than enough for how I play. The one thing that hurts is that shooting seems to suck for PWF. You get an inaccurate rocket for a slapshot, but I've been having some trouble getting accurate lift on my wrist and snap shots, or a lot of power. It's a little bit of an adjustment since it feels more sensative too, but I've never played with PS4 much and the controller is much looser than my 360 was. Overall, the game seems to have cut down on your cross crease shots, where the puck magnets to you and you get 100% power like it was a full on wrister. Those kind of ridiculous shots seem to be gone as well.

also cycling is 100% worth it this year. I think that's the main thing I've noticed, the game rewarding realish hockey play. The skating is more realistic so you can punish defenders that get out of position, and puck handling is more realistic so you can't danglefag your way through 5 skaters.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bradf0rd posted:

It's the class. I go with TWD for what I think is the best balance. Offensive defenseman is the best passer I believe.

Yeah, I go with offensive defenseman purely for the passing. It is a significantly better passer than defensive D. As defensive D you have to make really short passes otherwise you're just asking for something horrible to happen.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

aunt jemima posted:

Yeah, that is probably it.

Video from the RGR/#eashlgoons launch party last night is up. Thanks Twitch for having a broken highlighter and not actually trimming anything! I put jump links to the games in the description so you don't have to watch us gently caress around in the menus for 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdUuUndHtQ

Getting a penalty on the first shift is the RGR spirit!

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

The EA menu paradox. Feels like the game is saving every time you press a button, but to actually save you have to do that manually in the most laborious way.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ThinkTank posted:

I present to you "Matt Bartowski: Born to be a Canuck"

(sorry about the quality, I couldn't figure out how to save video clips so I had to record it off my phone)

"Xbox record that" or press the big SHARE button on the DS4.

TYOOL2015 :cmon:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I did that, too. (It wasn't random; I like the Otters.) We won our first game 11-3; 1G, 5A was only good for 3rd Star. (1st Star was McDavid with 6G, 3A, 2nd Star was the other guy on the line (Betz?) with 4G, 6A.)

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Huzzah my copy arrived a day early, time to download a release day patch for when I get home from work later.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

"Xbox record that" or press the big SHARE button on the DS4.

TYOOL2015 :cmon:

I find my Xbox One confusing and terrifying.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Didn't start streaming right away for some reason, so I don't have video of my/Bradf0rd's goal, but it was a thing of beauty.

Do have the last 2 periods (first period was boring) of a 5-player game, and then a full game with unz, sba, and I playing forward where we actually played pretty well, didn't take stupid penalties, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCQAfq_1rA

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I played an EASHL drop in game last night as a TWD, had 5 hits and a goal in a 5-1 win and my drop-in record is still 0-0-0 and I have no stats :(

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Black guys with blonde beards. Check
Racist names. Check
Dmen playing forward. Check
Human controlled goalies unable to stop a beach ball. Check

EASHL drop in is back!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty rusty at this series so I'm playing some regular games before i go and play with goons in EASHL get carried by goons in EASHL.

Started at rookie, and yea...I won 15-1. I should probably notch that up a bit so I don't develop more bad habits again.

Also scored two loving hilarious goals, one where I took a shot low, and it rebounded off the goalies pads, flew about 5 feet in the air, and dropped behind him in the net in a perfect arc :haw:

Gameplay is pretty fun this year though so far! Presentation is pretty slick. Hitting dudes doesn't feel as arcadey as NHL 13 did, where every hit felt like it was earth shattering against the boards.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fingers McGee posted:

Black guys with blonde beards. Check
Racist names. Check
Dmen playing forward. Check
Human controlled goalies unable to stop a beach ball. Check

EASHL drop in is back!

The number of times I heard "And its a 2 on 1!" because the other defender was crashing the net leaving me to try and defend everything is already irritating.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'll ask again if anyone knows what stats can and can't be upgraded during gameplay and what ones need to be done during off-ice workouts, and if there's any way at all to actually have a fast sniper BAP, because at the current rate I'm going to get into the NHL with pretty decent shooting and passing stats and skating stats of a guy with his legs bound together. I'm putting all my off-ice workouts into power skating and the side skating drills, but it's anemic for pace.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I register 5 points in preseason debut with the Oilers

"You aren't impressing us out there."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ThinkTank posted:

I find my Xbox One confusing and terrifying.

Sell it, and buy a ps4

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Are all the player stats hilarious in this game, like always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

shyduck posted:

I register 5 points in preseason debut with the Oilers

"You aren't impressing us out there."

Hah yeah I'm at game 3 of 5 preseason or whatever with 2 goals and 3 assists "just wanted you to know you're probably not going to make the team" FINE I'LL JUST TAKE MY 1.6 PPG AVG TO PROVIDENCE, DICK. :argh:

• Locked thread