Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dexo posted:

The problem with that, which makes me know that it's just racist assholes all the way down is that they didn't do poo poo with the school.

Didn't evacuate it. Didn't remove the "bomb" from the school.

If I were a parent in that school I would come at them from the other side. If the school/police actually thought there was an actionable threat in the school and didn't take the precautions to keep my kid safe I would loving be livid.

The Schools actions made absolutely no loving sense if they actually thought this kid had a bomb. Other than them being racist assholes.

They didn't think he had a bomb though and have repeatedly stated that. The kid is charged with making a hoax. You don't have to be personally fooled by hoax to recognize it as such and act accordingly.

Still complete bullshit charge though. He's in 9th grade. "Because I thought it was cool and wanted to show off" is a stunning amount of context and self awareness at that age. What did they want him to say?

That's the part that gets me. What could he have possibly said during the several hours of interrogation that would not have landed him in jail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kalman posted:

You pass out coughing up blood. I administer a hypothetical medication known to treat the most likely causes of that condition. You happen to be allergic and die.

Unnecessary and completely avoidable death. Brutal treatment?

(It's not comparable at all to the taser death, but that's a loving terrible definition of brutal treatment.)

Actually, necessary treatment to attempt to save a life. You have no way of knowing allergies based on looking at a bleeding person, so no its not avoidable.

A mentally ill woman that the police were well aware of as mentally ill is totally different, panicking because the officers wouldn't deescalate peacefully, ending up dead is the best example of a death that was unnecessary (no one was at risk, the entire situation started from her sliding urine under a door) and completely avoidable (as many people pointed out by simply not escalating and applying pain to someone with no concept of reality).

There is no mitigating circumstance here. A woman who confirmed to be mentally ill died as a direct result of actions taken by officers trying to subdue a woman who was delusional by escalating force over and over. In any other setting this would be murder.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

the headline almost had me going along side with all the rest fo you, until i read and saw the details. the kid (and/or his parents) are clearly trolling. a clock does not nearly require that large of a pcb, and the coy hh:mm display makes the whole thing look like a timebomb. a simple digital clock is not an impressive feat to show to a teacher, an am/fm radio would be less than half of this pcb and more impressive still. so considering a convenient similarity in appearance i think this family just wanted to be provocative with a perfect cover story. and it was the "high iq" school teachers that despite knowing it was a clock made the call to the cops. cops are in the clear i think. what kid did is equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater, or more closely walking around with a mock flame thrower with only the pilot light operational, and asking people if they wanted marshmellows.

yes, i too think it's more likely that the concern trolling muslims are just fishing for a lawsuit so they can live on easy street for the rest of their lives. this is far more likely that racist and paranoid school administrators freaking out about a 14 year old boy's electronic doohickey he brought to school to show his teacher

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Boris Galerkin posted:

the headline almost had me going along side with all the rest fo you, until i read and saw the details. the kid (and/or his parents) are clearly trolling. a clock does not nearly require that large of a pcb, and the coy hh:mm display makes the whole thing look like a timebomb. a simple digital clock is not an impressive feat to show to a teacher, an am/fm radio would be less than half of this pcb and more impressive still. so considering a convenient similarity in appearance i think this family just wanted to be provocative with a perfect cover story. and it was the "high iq" school teachers that despite knowing it was a clock made the call to the cops. cops are in the clear i think. what kid did is equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater, or more closely walking around with a mock flame thrower with only the pilot light operational, and asking people if they wanted marshmellows.
He's 14, like, just because you think an amateur adult can make even a more complex radio smaller yet doesn't mean his project ~*wasn't impressive enough*~ to show his science teacher.

fosborb posted:

What could he have possibly said during the several hours of interrogation that would not have landed him in jail?
I'm pretty sure interrogation's whole point is that nothing said can really lessen charges while a smallest slip will make things worse.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 16, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"schools are too politically correct nowadays. back in my day you could go hunting before school and leave your shotgun in the truck, nobody would care. we let boys fight it out, now they get suspended just for yelling at each other. we didn't need seatbelts, or helmets, or any of this sissy crap - we got bruised when we fell off a bike and we liked it! no participation troph- wait, what? a muslim boy brought a thing that might sort of look like a bomb that he could use to play a prank on his classmates? call 911 right away! we can't tolerate this kind of behavior! it sends the wrong kind of message, and you just can't be too careful nowadays!"

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

a simple digital clock is not an impressive feat to show to a teacher

Yeah, if you're in grad school.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

What a non-story, kid brings a beeping, hh:mm display having suitcase to school and someone freaks out and thinks its a bomb? Wow, really surprising stuff. Can anyone in this thread honestly tell me their local bomb squad wouldn't be called out for this thing?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

semper wifi posted:

Can anyone in this thread honestly tell me their local bomb squad wouldn't be called out for this thing?

Sure, the bomb squad was never called out. There you go.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

semper wifi posted:

What a non-story, kid brings a beeping, hh:mm display having suitcase to school and someone freaks out and thinks its a bomb? Wow, really surprising stuff. Can anyone in this thread honestly tell me their local bomb squad wouldn't be called out for this thing?

Sure, if the kid was white it's nbd. Otherwise call it a bomb but don't evacuate the school for the ~potential bomb~ on campus.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
My relatively local bomb squad was called out because of a Night Brite.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

look at the size of the plug. that thing is maybe a foot across. it's only a bomb if you're fundamentally terrified of muslims

please don't side with the racist cops, noted racist shitposter semper wifi

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

semper wifi posted:

Maybe, But the Bomb Squad wasn't called, and the school wasn't evacuated.

Seriously, that thing looks about the size of a powder compact.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 16, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dexo posted:

Seriously, that thing looks about the size of a powder compact.

It's a photo of photo- the thumb belongs to the person holding the photo.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

semper wifi posted:

If it was such a bomb threat, why wasn't the school evacuated? Or the bomb squad called out?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I believe they ascertained that it wasn't a real bomb very quickly. Hasn't it now come about that they called the police because they thought it was an attempted bomb hoax?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

serious gaylord posted:

I believe they ascertained that it wasn't a real bomb very quickly. Hasn't it now come about that they called the police because they thought it was an attempted bomb hoax?

yeah, that was the ridiculous post-hoc CYA explanation dreamed up for why they all immediately pissed themselves when they found a clock-like device in a muslim boy's posession

"well, WE were scared, so clearly he just built this thing to scare people because obviously we are cool buff cops who dont live in mortal fear of nerdy arab teens"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah, that was the ridiculous post-hoc CYA explanation dreamed up for why they all immediately pissed themselves when they found a clock-like device in a muslim boy's posession

Pretty much this. The school realized it goofed and is now trying desperately to spin some damage control.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Correct, even though the boy never mentioned a Bomb and told everyone it is a clock. But because if he had hidden it, it could have scared people, ergo, it's a hoax bomb.

Even the teacher who called the cops on him said it wasn't a bomb.

The kid is still suspended and facing criminal charges.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He's lucky he wasn't also wearing a Casio F-91.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Trabisnikof posted:

Correct, even though the boy never mentioned a Bomb and told everyone it is a clock. But because if he had hidden it, it could have scared people, ergo, it's a hoax bomb.

Even the teacher who called the cops on him said it wasn't a bomb.

The kid is still suspended and facing criminal charges.

Its all a bit absurd really isn't it? But still, its a suitcase full of wires that was beeping, you can kind of see how it got to that point. Sometimes even the most intelligent people have very little common sense.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

serious gaylord posted:

Sometimes even the most intelligent people have very little common sense.

are you talking about the grown adult men hired by the government to accurately assess and control chaoitic situations using their professional judgement, or the 14 year old boy who is the textbook definition of a star wars fan

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

serious gaylord posted:

Its all a bit absurd really isn't it? But still, its a suitcase full of wires that was beeping, you can kind of see how it got to that point. Sometimes even the most intelligent people have very little common sense.

Except it wasn't "found", in fact he gave it to a teacher when they asked about it out of concern. I'm not sure how it ever went past "the confiscation just in case someone else mistakes it" stage.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I could see confiscating it until the end of the day, telling him to not bring something to school that could be misidentified like that, and then sending him on his way. It's where he got suspended despite never claiming it was a bomb (disproving the idiotic idea that he was trying to pretend it was a bomb to scare people) and the possible criminal charges that it gets terrible. It's pretty clear that those are both there as CYA for the people involved as they want to pretend they didn't overreact and these punishments reflect how SERIOUS he was as a threat.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Except it wasn't "found", in fact he gave it to a teacher when they asked about it out of concern.

I've never said they 'found' it though?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

serious gaylord posted:

I've never said they 'found' it though?

Yes. My point is that he wasn't even in possession of it to make the "hoax" in the first place and he had a reasonable explanation of why he had the device at school. The administration had no reason to think he was trying to start a hoax (and in addition knew from the start it wasn't a bomb) and is covering their rear end now that the story is making the rounds.

It would be different if he had the beeping device in his locker or otherwise not on his person.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yes. My point is that he wasn't even in possession of it to make the "hoax" in the first place and he had a reasonable explanation of why he had the device at school. The administration had no reason to think he was trying to start a hoax and is covering their rear end.

Oh most definitely, they've over reacted.

Still, bringing a beeping suitcase full of wires into a school. Not the best of ideas, good intentions or not.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Still, bringing a beeping suitcase full of wires into a school. Not the best of ideas, good intentions or not.

Yeah maybe. But the cops comments etc pretty much prove if he was white it wouldn't have come this far.

Edit: Hell I made devices in an electronics class in high school that I was told to make (and needed to have at school to work on to pass the class) that looked closer to a bomb than that. But I'm white.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 16, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

It wasn't a beeping suitcase, it was a much smaller case, small enough to fit entirely inside his backpack. It wasn't constantly beeping, it just went off once.

Woot, police have decided to drop charges! http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...d-hoax-bomb.ece

quote:

Update at 11:20 a.m. Wednesday: At a press conference this morning, Irving Police Chief Larry Boyd said Ahmed Mohamed was arrested for bringing "a hoax bomb" to school -- and not a clock, as Mohamed said he repeatedly told his teachers.

But, Boyd said, "we are confident it's not an explosive device" intended to cause "alarm." Rather, he said, officers determined it was "a hoax bomb" and a "naive accident."

As a result, he said, no charges will be filed against Ahmed, and "the case is considered closed." He also said "the reaction would have been the same regardless" of the student's skin color.

Irving police released a photo of the clock during the press conference.

So according to the police it wasn't a clock, it was a hoax bomb, but they're not pressing charges because it was a "naive accident." :psyduck:

That's as much bullshit cya as I think they could cram.

I still don't get how they can refuse a kid access to a lawyer, their parents or a phone during an interrogation.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

serious gaylord posted:

He's 14 years old.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

serious gaylord posted:

i think it's sweet that the boy was naive enough not to realize that he would be singled out and labeled a terrorist for bringing a doohickey to school, and having enough faith in authorities to think that they would immediately recognize him and his actions as harmless. i remember when i was that innocent and thought that adults were all rational and capable actors who were looking out for the common good

at least they didn't shoot him

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

serious gaylord posted:

I did that on many occasions (though I was working on robots). The kid was taking an electronics course. This is the sort of thing you would expect a kid taking an electronics course to bring to school.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Trabisnikof posted:

It wasn't a beeping suitcase, it was a much smaller case, small enough to fit entirely inside his backpack. It wasn't constantly beeping, it just went off once.

Woot, police have decided to drop charges! http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...d-hoax-bomb.ece

So according to the police it wasn't a clock, it was a hoax bomb, but they're not pressing charges because it was a "naive accident." :psyduck:

That's as much bullshit cya as I think they could cram.

I still don't get how they can refuse a kid access to a lawyer, their parents or a phone during an interrogation.

Is it some sort of specific terminology they have to use? Because if it isn't, thats a bit odd. Like do they have to say it was a hoax because it wasn't an actual explosive device?

Its good that they've dropped all charges though. Although the school will most likely still throw the book at him because they've hosed up majorly and have to make a stand now.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Last time I checked, wires don't explode. The picture shows some PCBs, a bunch of wires, a battery holder, an LCD HH:MM display, and a pronounced lack of anything explodey.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
A man who wrote a book about racism in Ferguson got pulled over by my local police going 14 over the speed limit with out of state plates, two open containers, a sack of weed and a five year old in the car. He claims that he was arrested for 'driving while black.'

http://m.journalstar.com/news/local...bile_touch=true

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

serious gaylord posted:

Is it some sort of specific terminology they have to use?

thats the term used to describe the offense in the relevant statutes, so yes.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great."

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/644193755814342656

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

thats the term used to describe the offense in the relevant statutes, so yes.

Sadly, Texas law is that crazy:

quote:

(13) "Hoax bomb" means a device that:
(A) reasonably appears to be an explosive or incendiary device; or
(B) by its design causes alarm or reaction of any type by an officialof a public safety agency or a volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

So if any cop "thinks" you have a bomb, it is automatically a hoax bomb and you could be facing prison time.

Miltank posted:

A man who wrote a book about racism in Ferguson got pulled over by my local police going 14 over the speed limit with out of state plates, two open containers, a sack of weed and a five year old in the car. He claims that he was arrested for 'driving while black.'

http://m.journalstar.com/news/local...bile_touch=true

Well, luckily the couple were recording the incident, so that we'll be able to tell.

Also you say they were "open containers" but the police didn't charge for that and only list that they found them in the car, is it possible they were found in the trunk? The article you linked doesn't specify.

We should probably wait until the video and audio are released before we rush to judgement, right? Isn't that always what we say when police are accused of a crime?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raerlynn posted:

Actually, necessary treatment to attempt to save a life. You have no way of knowing allergies based on looking at a bleeding person, so no its not avoidable.

I didn't see "avoidable" in the definition. And you're telling me using medication is necessary? There's no other ways to treat that situation that run less risk than medication known to trigger allergic shock on a patient where you don't know if they exhibit the allergy? Can't stabilize and treat later after confirming no allergy?

The point is "unnecessary" and "brutal" are not the same thing and it's a bad definition.

quote:

A mentally ill woman that the police were well aware of as mentally ill is totally different, panicking because the officers wouldn't deescalate peacefully, ending up dead is the best example of a death that was unnecessary (no one was at risk, the entire situation started from her sliding urine under a door) and completely avoidable (as many people pointed out by simply not escalating and applying pain to someone with no concept of reality).

There is no mitigating circumstance here. A woman who confirmed to be mentally ill died as a direct result of actions taken by officers trying to subdue a woman who was delusional by escalating force over and over. In any other setting this would be murder.

What part of "it's a bad definition, but that doesn't mean the taser case wasn't brutal treatment" is hard to understand?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

brutal
adjective bru·tal \ˈbrü-təl\

archaic : typical of beasts : animal

: befitting a brute: as
a : grossly ruthless or unfeeling <a brutal slander>
b : cruel, cold-blooded <a brutal attack>
c : harsh, severe <brutal weather>
d : unpleasantly accurate and incisive <the brutal truth>
e : very bad or unpleasant <a brutal mistake>

I dunno, a treatment that causes unnecessary and completely avoidable death strikes me as pretty brutal.

I guess we can chalk you up as bad at English then

Dirk the Average posted:

You make a terrible analogy. I die from a stroke induced by how stupid your analogy is. Clearly this is also brutal treatment.

That's not an analogy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Kalman posted:

I didn't see "avoidable" in the definition. And you're telling me using medication is necessary? There's no other ways to treat that situation that run less risk than medication known to trigger allergic shock on a patient where you don't know if they exhibit the allergy? Can't stabilize and treat later after confirming no allergy?

You tell me Kalman. You're the one that setup this hypothetical about administering medicine, not me. It seems unfair for me to have to predict circumstances that you're not describing.

Kalman posted:

The point is "unnecessary" and "brutal" are not the same thing and it's a bad definition.

What part of "it's a bad definition, but that doesn't mean the taser case wasn't brutal treatment" is hard to understand?

Stop it. Stop doing the same bullshit thing you've done before in this thread that Semper Wifi, Dead Reckoning, Actorhesus, and others have done. You're nit picking a word and trying to, out of the corner of your mouth, downplay how this was a terrible, horrible murder.

Remove the officers and the jail setting. Instead have the exact same sequence of events play out at a hospital. Now again in a private residence. And again in a school. Each and every time this would be called a murder, and I feel rather confident that while the definition doesn't merit the Kalman badge of approval, I can get actual people to agree with me that this is brutality. Stop loving minimizing that they beat and tortured a woman to death who literally didn't understand what was going on around her, who couldn't comply because she was. Not. Sane.

• Locked thread