Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

ahahah this is almost as good as that Mad Max scene from The Time North Carolina Got Like, Totally, 2.45 Inches Of Snow

It's even sadder when it happens up north.
[Timg]http://imgur.com/NNtcf9C][/timg]
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/10/us/michigan-traffic-pileup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wallaka posted:

It's even sadder when it happens up north.
[img]http://imgur.com/NNtcf9C.jpg][/img]
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/10/us/michigan-traffic-pileup/

lol yeah I was almost in that. I was about 5 miles ahead of the group when it all went down.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Wow. Just... wow. I'd have sent a copy of that back to the groom, myself. What a winner he picked.

The last contact we had with him was right before he was discharged from the army and his wife had moved out of their apartment in Fayetteville to their house, leaving him alone for a week and a half. He called us out of the blue one day to apologize for her behavior...apparently in the days immediately following the wedding she was inconsolable with rage over what we had done (asking if we could do a toast and accepting "no" for an answer) and he was in the room when she penned the letters.

Allegedly when he told her "no, we're not sending death threats to my friends over this" she basically said it's them or me.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 16, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know how to get fix-a-leak out of a cooling system? I tried the prestone flush and it didn't do squat, so someone on youtube says to use this

http://www.amazon.com/Irontite-Thoro-Flush-9110-16-16-oz/dp/B00JJ1FB28

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I made curry chicken tacos and they were v good :yum:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I like just buying a lovely old car and then all the rattles and poo poo is to be expected. I think my mind would explode if I dropped five digits on a car and it made even the tiniest noise.

Pretty much this. Also, contacted Ford and they were like "huh sucks to be you.." Ford is loving awesome.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I am in the middle of working about 20 days in a row. Saturday I had a 16 hour day.

On top of having a 3 week old kid, this is the most stressed and exhausted I've ever felt.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So I finally got Torque Pro for my phone. Any recommendations for an inexpensive Bluetooth OBDII dongle?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Quite A Tool posted:

So I finally got Torque Pro for my phone. Any recommendations for an inexpensive Bluetooth OBDII dongle?

no such thing as cheap obd2 scanners and not sending you ghost codes. witness or whatever

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Quite A Tool posted:

When it comes to Chinese ELM327s there's a short one and a long one, and a few different color choices for each. They're all about the same (I like the stubby blue one personally), just make sure you get one from a supplier that'll take returns if it's DOA or buy the cheapest one you can find and if it's DOA oh well it was only $7. Same as buying any Chinese crap really.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It seems my rants have brought out all the Ford haters. Never again... I should have gotten a Mazda3 or something, I suppose.

I paid $13 or so for the best rated OBD2 Bluetooth thing on Amazon, works great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

I like just buying a lovely old car and then all the rattles and poo poo is to be expected. I think my mind would explode if I dropped five digits on a car and it made even the tiniest noise.

You would hate my car then (well, it was 5 figures after tax - priced at $9,999.00 when I bought it).

... though the only noise when I bought it was a broken sway bar end link (which was fixed by the dealer). All the other rattles came out to play a bit later. To be fair, I've almost put as many miles on it as the original owner at this point (bought it with 66k, has 121k now), and it is a GM econobox... they usually come with the rattles pre-installed by the factory.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 16, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The one i got has no bluetooth, only wifi, which is annoying as poo poo because as long as wifi is connected to it you got not internet. Although it is nice because it connects to my old first gen ipad. it also works well with scanXL even though manufacturer specific modules are expensive as hell. one cleared abs or TCS light pays for itself.

also, if you hit the "test results" screen it kills the powerstroke. some test most ODB readers send kills the powerstroke.

It's a shame, because torque pro has powerstroke specific PIDs like trans slip and exhaust backpressure, but i'm paranoid about leaving it in in case it tries something goofy and shuts me down on the highway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I preorded one. I've only preordered something on Amazon once before. It says it'll get here some time next week. Is that conservative or accurate?

I don't know but usually stuff is supposed to show up on release day.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
It's ok to like bikes as well as cars right? Like the two things aren't mutually exclusive right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MustardFacial posted:

It's ok to like bikes as well as cars right? Like the two things aren't mutually exclusive right?

Anything that can go fast or you can have fun with = good.

Also I get the keys for my new place today which has a pretty decent sized garage so now I need to start putting cash away for a fun car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Finally got sick of both the light output and hideous look of the bare bulbs in our main living room

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

mariooncrack posted:

2015 has been one crazy year for you hasn't it?

It has, except for that small "12 weeks of chemo" thing i think it will end on a high note.

The business thing really is not my doing. We had a firm contact us based on our work for them telling us that if we wanted to be their retained fire safety guys they would hire us. but we had to scale up to handle the load. Cue one of my partners making this insane plot for us to hire 8 laid off engineers from the oil biz, applying for goverment grants to support making jobs in a difficult market and also hiring 2 techs for systems installations, contacting the unemployment people and getting them to find us four more techs who have fallen out of the market and having the goverment paying their salary for a year for us to find out if we can support having them on.

and he got this poo poo done in 4 weeks. he deserved that bottle of whiskey i got him yesterday.

it insane, 3 months ago we where 3 partners and one employee. buy the end of next month we will have 15, and will probably have to hire someone to do all the admin poo poo aswell...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Quite A Tool posted:

I bought this one, it works when it feels like it - http://www.amazon.com/gp/B005NLQAHS Need to get in touch with the seller and see if I can get a replacement sent after I test it with another phone or two.

CharlesM posted:

I don't know but usually stuff is supposed to show up on release day.
This has always been how it's worked for stuff I've pre-ordered.

MustardFacial posted:

I think a lot of regular AI posters have both. I have almost as many motorcycles as I do cars.

fjelltorsk posted:

it insane, 3 months ago we where 3 partners and one employee. buy the end of next month we will have 15, and will probably have to hire someone to do all the admin poo poo aswell...
That's some crazy expansion and a regular big contract like that should make things pretty comfortable for you guys for a while. Well done.

Bought photos from the photographer at the track last weekend. The guy is good, he can make even me appear to be going fast...

How many Bay Area people do we have in here? Not sure what hours I'm going to be working but I'll probably be done by 4 or 5 and looking for something to do for the next couple weeks. Have a concert/festival on the 26th and may head to Laguna Seca the 27th but otherwise no plans.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Just as a sort of feeler. My wife is maybe getting a fellowship at an american hospital for two years starting in august next year. anyone have any idea what i would do for employment in the states? and does anyone have any for where to live when she will be working in maryland/baltimore?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

fjelltorsk posted:

Just as a sort of feeler. My wife is maybe getting a fellowship at an american hospital for two years starting in august next year. anyone have any idea what i would do for employment in the states? and does anyone have any for where to live when she will be working in maryland/baltimore?

Jesus man, talk about upheaval.

Maryland? I'm sorry. :v: I'm guessing Hopkins, because that would be awesome, IMO.

I'm not as familiar with that end of the state, but really, stay as far away from Baltimore as you can, and it shouldn't be quite so bad. Can't really help on the job front, as I suspect you'd have to get licensed to do some of the same type of consulting that you just ramped up and that's likely to be a really big hassle and dealing with the differences between code standards, etc. would be maddening, but not impossible.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Traffic around Baltimore/Washington is the worst in the nation. I hear that Baltimore in general is not a great place. The race riots you may have been hearing about are occurring there. I've never lived there personally, but plenty of people I know have, and boy do they complain.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would suggest doing nothing while living in the states, especially Baltimore. The cost of living is significantly lower than Norway, so you'd be able to live as comfortably as you do now on her salary alone here.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It seems my rants have brought out all the Ford haters. Never again... I should have gotten a Mazda3 or something, I suppose.

I paid $13 or so for the best rated OBD2 Bluetooth thing on Amazon, works great.
Just because we complain doesn't mean we are haters. I drive two fords. :v:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

ssjonizuka posted:

Jesus man, talk about upheaval.

Maryland? I'm sorry. :v: I'm guessing Hopkins, because that would be awesome, IMO.

I'm not as familiar with that end of the state, but really, stay as far away from Baltimore as you can, and it shouldn't be quite so bad. Can't really help on the job front, as I suspect you'd have to get licensed to do some of the same type of consulting that you just ramped up and that's likely to be a really big hassle and dealing with the differences between code standards, etc. would be maddening, but not impossible.

Is hopkins and shock trauma the same thing?

She really wants this, because it is really hard to get mass experiance as a trauma surgeon in Norway due to people being less shooty-stabby and this is the woman who put her career on hold to care for me the first six months of cancer treatment, after having to pause her training for the pregnancy and taking an additional year off due to the twins. The consultant firm can run without me, i am just a partner. I am checking via the firehouse if i can possibly work as a firefighter doing some sort of work exchange... the economics would not be impossible if i cant work, but i would probably go bonkers. we also sorta want to get it over with before the kids starts elemantary school in norway...

This girl has sacrificed so much for me, and our family that if we can make this happen... its happening...

she can probably do the fellowship at other hospitals too, would be cool to end up in an area with some ai goons

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think he's referring to John Hopkins, a famous hospital.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cage posted:

Just because we complain doesn't mean we are haters. I drive two fords. :v:

No, he's right. I guess I'd be considered a hater because we paid 30k for our Ford and it's falling to pieces in a hair under 2 years, I will never own another Ford as long as I live and am currently looking to trade it in on another vehicle. I sent Ford an email detailing everything that has went wrong with the vehicle and the auto-mailer sent me a reply of "Your case has been closed, take this survey!" loving rad Ford, you cock mongers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

The one i got has no bluetooth, only wifi, which is annoying as poo poo because as long as wifi is connected to it you got not internet. Although it is nice because it connects to my old first gen ipad. it also works well with scanXL even though manufacturer specific modules are expensive as hell. one cleared abs or TCS light pays for itself.

also, if you hit the "test results" screen it kills the powerstroke. some test most ODB readers send kills the powerstroke.

It's a shame, because torque pro has powerstroke specific PIDs like trans slip and exhaust backpressure, but i'm paranoid about leaving it in in case it tries something goofy and shuts me down on the highway.

On the internet thing, there's a way around that by manually setting gateway settings for the WiFi connection to the dongle to 0.0.0.0.
Works on my iPhone.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

Traffic around Baltimore/Washington is the worst in the nation. I hear that Baltimore in general is not a great place. The race riots you may have been hearing about are occurring there. I've never lived there personally, but plenty of people I know have, and boy do they complain.

I mean, I know, tv is not reality, but there's reasons somethings are written/developed in such themes. Having said that...Have you watched The Wire? You should watch The Wire.

fjelltorsk posted:

:words:

What Mariooncrack said.

For the rest, I totally understand and agree with what you're looking to accomplish. We've made similar sacrifices re: family and work stuff for my wife, whom just recently got her Pedi-NP. As for ending up somewhere near AI goons, that's just about anywhere. We infest various areas. Hell, I'd say come up north to VT, because it's gorgeous, but we don't have that much in the way of that type of trauma either.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fjelltorsk posted:

She really wants this, because it is really hard to get mass experiance as a trauma surgeon in Norway due to people being less shooty-stabby and this is the woman who put her career on hold to care for me the first six months of cancer treatment, after having to pause her training for the pregnancy and taking an additional year off due to the twins. The consultant firm can run without me, i am just a partner. I am checking via the firehouse if i can possibly work as a firefighter doing some sort of work exchange... the economics would not be impossible if i cant work, but i would probably go bonkers. we also sorta want to get it over with before the kids starts elemantary school in norway...

This girl has sacrificed so much for me, and our family that if we can make this happen... its happening...

she can probably do the fellowship at other hospitals too, would be cool to end up in an area with some ai goons

I know in Canada they take Australian firefighters for help during their off-season as they're on different hemispheres and have different fire seasons. I think the same happens in the States.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fjelltorsk posted:

Baltimore is pretty loving rough, just watch a few episodes of The Wire to get an idea what it's like. Yeah it's good experience for her because everyone there is trying to kill each other, but it's like that for a reason so you have to weigh the risk factor. No way in hell I'd move my family to Baltimore.

I'd try to persuade her to hold out for somewhere less volatile where she could get just as much experience, because honestly this whole country is shooty-stabby.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

mariooncrack posted:

I think he's referring to John Hopkins, a famous hospital.

Aha, after asking the waifu i get it, shock trauma is the ER of University of Marylands hospital, and john hopkins is another hospital

she is also talking about a hospital in New York, and on in the bay area... i know what i would prefer

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I also forgot, we can't take the Taurus to any automatic wash places because the lovely plastic roof rails that hide welding points gets blown off.

I don't think I've ever escaped an automatic wash (even the "touch free" ones) without some damage to my car.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fjelltorsk posted:

Dude, you are a hell of a guy! Downright respectable, that.

Also, end up somewhere close to Canada. Come up north, I'll take you/your family ice fishing :) I think a year or two abroad would be awesome if you could swing it (I keep trying to convince the wife that we need to do the same, I want to go live somewhere else for a year or two before we start having kids).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The brightest point might be that fjelltorsk's kids might grow up without speaking Norwegian-accented Scandinavian.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fjelltorsk posted:

Aha, after asking the waifu i get it, shock trauma is the ER of University of Marylands hospital, and john hopkins is another hospital

she is also talking about a hospital in New York, and on in the bay area... i know what i would prefer

There are plenty of first-rate trauma centers all over the US, so I guess it just depends on what sort of trauma she wants to learn about and deal with. For shooty/stabby stuff the Baltimore area would be pretty good, but of course you live in shooty/stabby land. The trauma centers in Phoenix are very busy, but more weighted to traffic accidents, and work injuries, although there are a fair number of fight/shooty/stabby stuff injuries too.

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think I've ever escaped an automatic wash (even the "touch free" ones) without some damage to my car.

I can't say I've taken damage at one, but I also don't know that I've ever come out of one with a clean car. Just slightly less dirty than when it went in.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Quite A Tool posted:

I got a good one. It supposedly can update faster? Dunno. It does the job.
Really, they are all about the same. Get a cheap one.

Geoj posted:

The last contact we had with him was right before he was discharged from the army and his wife had moved out of their apartment in Fayetteville to their house, leaving him alone for a week and a half. He called us out of the blue one day to apologize for her behavior...apparently in the days immediately following the wedding she was inconsolable with rage over what we had done (asking if we could do a toast and accepting "no" for an answer) and he was in the room when she penned the letters.

Allegedly when he told her "no, we're not sending death threats to my friends over this" she basically said it's them or me.
And this is when you pick the friends. Because that behavior isn't acceptable in any context.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

I love Arizona but if I could make San Diego work without a huge headache, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

keykey posted:

No, he's right. I guess I'd be considered a hater because we paid 30k for our Ford and it's falling to pieces in a hair under 2 years, I will never own another Ford as long as I live and am currently looking to trade it in on another vehicle. I sent Ford an email detailing everything that has went wrong with the vehicle and the auto-mailer sent me a reply of "Your case has been closed, take this survey!" loving rad Ford, you cock mongers.

Yeah I spent almost 20k on this thing and whooo boy it feels like a poorly maintained $1000 shitbox with 5k miles on it. I'm going to make them fix this and deal with the issues as they come up because it's mostly a lovely car, I love the engine, and there isn't any other small hatchback I'd rather have. But yeah, the Ford experience is goddamn infuriating.

• Locked thread