Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

abraham linksys posted:

I've had an Audio Technica LP120 for a couple years now, and I've been using the stock cartridge this whole time. Lately, whenever I play a record there's a lot of static/noise, even on pristine new albums, and I think it's because the needle tip is dirty. When I look at it, it definitely seems like there's some kind of fuzz/dust on it, which isn't surprising given my love of $1 80s pop records and being generally way too lazy to actually clean them.

Is it worth picking up a stylus cleaning kit, or can I just attack this with a microfiber cloth or something? And while I'm asking, is a record brush worth the investment if I'm going to keep listening to vinyl that was apparently stored in a dust factory for 30 years?

You should have a record brush and a stylus brush anyway, but if you've hate it that long and use it frequently it's entirely possible that you need a new stylus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Someone buy that new Unwound box set. Wanna hear about how it is.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CPL593H posted:

You should have a record brush and a stylus brush anyway, but if you've hate it that long and use it frequently it's entirely possible that you need a new stylus.

Hm, will try that if cleaning doesn't work.

Any recommendations on stylus/record brushes? Every one on Amazon seems to have a mix of five-star "works perfectly!" and one-star "destroyed my priceless collection/needle" reviews

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
More digital goodies!

Halsey - Badlands

Lianne La Havas - Blood

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mulva posted:

More digital goodies!

Halsey - Badlands

Lianne La Havas - Blood

Thanks - I grabbed Blood, I couldn't get the code to work for Badlands so someone else may have used it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

abraham linksys posted:

I've had an Audio Technica LP120 for a couple years now, and I've been using the stock cartridge this whole time. Lately, whenever I play a record there's a lot of static/noise, even on pristine new albums, and I think it's because the needle tip is dirty. When I look at it, it definitely seems like there's some kind of fuzz/dust on it, which isn't surprising given my love of $1 80s pop records and being generally way too lazy to actually clean them.

Is it worth picking up a stylus cleaning kit, or can I just attack this with a microfiber cloth or something? And while I'm asking, is a record brush worth the investment if I'm going to keep listening to vinyl that was apparently stored in a dust factory for 30 years?

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERPWAK2

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just use a magic eraser to clean the stylus. Seems to work well enough.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

I just use a magic eraser to clean the stylus. Seems to work well enough.

I've avoided that because supposedly the magic eraser can leave some sort of abrasive residue on the stylus.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You could try one on those dirty thrift store lp's too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Slight topic change, but does anyone know which reissue of Trout Mask Replica is the best? The one I see the most is a Rhino reissue (which are usually good) but I can't find any information about how it sounds. I looked what original pressings go for an was like "Nope!".

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Whatever reissue comes with earplugs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Whatever reissue comes with earplugs

I knew someone would respond in this fashion.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I've avoided that because supposedly the magic eraser can leave some sort of abrasive residue on the stylus.

More abrasive than diamond? :can:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

More abrasive than diamond? :can:

OH poo poo!

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone got the Red House Painters reissues? Excited to pick up the first 3 albums without having to pay €500.

Edit: Trout Mask guy, my copy is a 70s pressing on Reprise. Sounds great and cost me about 10/15 euros. I reckon you could find one for a similar price fairly easily.

Lungs fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 15, 2015

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's a good, reliable vinyl cleaning brush? The Audioquest-style carbon fiber brushes always shed a ton of bristles all over the record, making it pointless to use.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Origami Dali posted:

What's a good, reliable vinyl cleaning brush? The Audioquest-style carbon fiber brushes always shed a ton of bristles all over the record, making it pointless to use.

go back in time and get an original disc washer

anyone ever used these?
http://www.theghostlystore.com/products/waxx-wipes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

go back in time and get an original disc washer

I had one of the original ones and it was still terrible. All it does is spread filth around the record.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Origami Dali posted:

You might have a lemon because I've never had a single bristle loose on mine. Or maybe I just haven't used it long enough for it to happen, who knows.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Barry posted:

You might have a lemon because I've never had a single bristle loose on mine. Or maybe I just haven't used it long enough for it to happen, who knows.

The complaint in all the reviews seems to be "worked fine until it didn't and then it ruined one of my records forever" :ohdear:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

The complaint in all the reviews seems to be "worked fine until it didn't and then it ruined one of my records forever" :ohdear:

How could a loose bristle ruin a record?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i think you'll find that hyperbole ruins a ton of records

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This cheap speaker wire ruined my priceless collection

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

i think you'll find that hyperbole ruins a ton of records

This thread ruined records for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just wash your records in the sink with mild detergent and a sponge. That is what the previous owners did if they ever cleaned it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: buy CDs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

honestly these days I buy records at merch tables and then just keep listening to them on Spotify

this way I feel less guilty about how awful music streaming services are for artists :unsmith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

honestly these days I buy records at merch tables and then just keep listening to them on Spotify

this way I feel less guilty about how awful music streaming services are for artists :unsmith:

They're also rubbish for listeners vOv

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're also rubbish for listeners vOv

Not really, unless you care deeply enough about audio that 320kbps Ogg Vorbis isn't good enough for you, in which case you're in a tiny minority of people :shrug:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lifehack: buy CDs.

I did an A/B test of the newish wax reissue of Willie Nelson's Teatro with my cd copy and the record sounds like garbage in comparison.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Not really, unless you care deeply enough about audio that 320kbps Ogg Vorbis isn't good enough for you, in which case you're in a tiny minority of people :shrug:

Who cares about quality: Spotify pulled all Agit Prop tracks years ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I did an A/B test of the newish wax reissue of Willie Nelson's Teatro with my cd copy and the record sounds like garbage in comparison.

Of course. Now REEL TO REEL ON THE OTHER HAND...

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Lungs posted:

Anyone got the Red House Painters reissues? Excited to pick up the first 3 albums without having to pay €500.

Edit: Trout Mask guy, my copy is a 70s pressing on Reprise. Sounds great and cost me about 10/15 euros. I reckon you could find one for a similar price fairly easily.
Yeah, agreed 70s Reprise are plentiful and should be cheap. I have a Canadian pressing and it sounds good- I always play Orange Claw Hammer 10 times whenever I take that album out.
I got the RHP first 3 albums, apparently there was a shortage of Ocean Beach, my record store ordered a bunch but only 1 shipped. Got an extra download code in mine I thought I'd share-I think the album is Room(but maybe not)
****CODE HAS FOUND IT'S REDEEMER****
Also bought an old R&B, soul DJs 45s, probably 250 and I'm still going through them but lots of old pre1965 stuff. Some of them are pretty beat and the box was full of sawdust, but I haven't cleaned any and mono 45s still sound great beat to hell.

took them inside and sleeved what I liked, had to run and buy some more sleeves-wasn't prepared for his haul.

Black Sabas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 16, 2015

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have an old Discwasher, and Audioquest brush, and a Spin-Clean.

The Audioquest gets used constantly (and I haven't lost a bristle that I'm aware of), the Spin-Clean gets pulled out once in a while to clean grungy used records.

The Original Discwasher System with Vintage D4+ fluid never gets used. It's pretty crappy and the only reason people think they were good is nostalgia. (I'm sure the modern ones are worse, though.)

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005

Black Sabas posted:

Yeah, agreed 70s Reprise are plentiful and should be cheap. I have a Canadian pressing and it sounds good- I always play Orange Claw Hammer 10 times whenever I take that album out.
I got the RHP first 3 albums, apparently there was a shortage of Ocean Beach, my record store ordered a bunch but only 1 shipped. Got an extra download code in mine I thought I'd share-I think the album is Room(but maybe not)

Also bought an old R&B, soul DJs 45s, probably 250 and I'm still going through them but lots of old pre1965 stuff. Some of them are pretty beat and the box was full of sawdust, but I haven't cleaned any and mono 45s still sound great beat to hell.

took them inside and sleeved what I liked, had to run and buy some more sleeves-wasn't prepared for his haul.

Nice haul. Any gold?

Picked up Rollercoaster this afternoon anyway, looking forward to spinning it presently. Also, some charity shop pick ups from today, ranging from "I haven't listened to this Primus album in nearly a decade but I couldn't not pick it up for 3 quid" to "I have no idea what Transylvanian 'muzica populara' might sound like but I'm on board for finding out".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One weird trick: just blow the dust off and play the record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I had an uncle who died when a tiny carbon fiber came loose from a record brush. Those bristles are no joke.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If only there were some sharp instrument you could run through the groove to remove all the dust - like a stylus or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the HOES.

"Thomas is best of the fuckers..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Black Sabas posted:

Got an extra download code in mine I thought I'd share-I think the album is Room(but maybe not)

I grabbed this code. Thank you!

Does anyone have any suggestions on storing 45s? Mine are currently in a shoebox and I was hoping someone would have some good case recommendations.