Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Fans posted:

The common solution to the Gastown level is to ignore the race and just kill everyone.

That's what I'm doing, but it's so hard to keep the car in a straight line that I can't get a bead on anyone. A lot of times it's the camera, I think. Also, the fact that new cars keep spawning out of nooks and crannies all throughout the course is some serious bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The vehicle handling in this game is not even remotely designed for enclosed spaces, and it's weird that they didn't take that into account. Otherwise I like how heavy everything feels, but yeah the Gastown race and some of the wasteland missions that require you to maneuver the Opus into tight corridors are :suicide:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Was a bit wary of doing so as I heard the shitstorm when they hosed up Furiosa and got all rapey and blamey.

Wait, what? The only rapey thing in the Furiosa issue is the things we already knew were happening to the brides. Furiosa herself in it has basically the same arc Max himself always has, going from not giving a single poo poo about their situation because her own survival is all that matters to helping out. There is some decent character building for each of the brides in it, and Joe comes off as even more of a monster than in the movie. It's not the best of them, but it's alright.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That's what I'm doing, but it's so hard to keep the car in a straight line that I can't get a bead on anyone. A lot of times it's the camera, I think. Also, the fact that new cars keep spawning out of nooks and crannies all throughout the course is some serious bullshit.

For me, I loaded it down with armor, the added weight made it less squirrely and work better in the tight spaces. In general, if you haven't gotten a thunderpoon hit on stank gum in the first 20 or so seconds, it's not worth it to keep going.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

QwertyAsher posted:

For me, I loaded it down with armor, the added weight made it less squirrely and work better in the tight spaces. In general, if you haven't gotten a thunderpoon hit on stank gum in the first 20 or so seconds, it's not worth it to keep going.

I actually just finished it. Killed Stank Gum before turn 4. But, the thing with having to fight Tenderloin in the little Thunderdome is horseshit, man. I was hoping she'd be my new bestie, and besides, the fight is boring as hell

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait, what? The only rapey thing in the Furiosa issue is the things we already knew were happening to the brides. Furiosa herself in it has basically the same arc Max himself always has, going from not giving a single poo poo about their situation because her own survival is all that matters to helping out. There is some decent character building for each of the brides in it, and Joe comes off as even more of a monster than in the movie. It's not the best of them, but it's alright.
The comic turned the brides into really passive characters that had Furiosa tell them what to do, unlike in the movie where they actively fight to try and escape and the idea was to escape was all theirs, not Furiosa's. They also have stupid poo poo like the brides being all catty and being petty with each other when they were all tight as hell in the movie and insulting Furiosa for not being feminine enough.

It's poo poo.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 16, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I feel like the boarder spikes are useless for the most part because I have had the max spike upgrade for like 25 hours of gameplay and out of being boarded about 15 times the spikes have only killed 2-3 of them. Something is fucky.

Something must be, as I'm constantly intercepting boarders. I just wish they stuck around for longer.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

re: Gastown race, I was starting to grind my teeth into a fine powder after failing a bunch of times but I finally managed to blow Stankgum up in an absurdly short period of time, like barely halfway through a single lap. I'm sure a good amount of luck played into that but basically I just started avoiding and ignoring the other cannon fodder unless they were actively interfering and just kept flinging thunderpoons at Stankgum. Basically just keep shooting at him and never stop unless it's absolutely obvious it won't hit. You have plenty of ammunition. I don't think the ram is that important but upgraded thunderpoons and armor are, along with anything that makes you go faster.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

The comic turned the brides into really passive characters that had Furiosa tell them what to do, unlike in the movie where they actively fight to try and escape and the idea was to escape was all theirs, not Furiosa's. They also have stupid poo poo like the brides being all catty and being petty with each other when they were all tight as hell in the movie and insulting Furiosa for not being feminine enough.

It's poo poo.

It's been a while since I read it, but the main things I don't remember them being catty with each other at all, and yes, Furiosa told them what to do until the end when they basically went "no, this is all wrong and bad" and started their revolution. It's the beginning of a rebellion, no one has ever started one of those from the second they are born, there has to be injustice inflicted upon them that they throw off the shackles of and such. Also the only thing I remember them being critical of Furiosa for is being just another one of Joe's tools and a killer. Both of which are accurate up until the point she joins up with the rebellion they start.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The Gas Town race was pretty bad just because any nudge into the wall would send me careening 120 degrees off course and kill all momentum. I finally got it after a few tries, but that was the only frustrating part id had to that point

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The boarder spikes aren't really that useful, so you can just ignore them if you feel like they cramp your style. I often just let people to board my car on purpose, as the end results are always something badass and cool. :coal:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The spikes are incredibly useful. They add spikes to your car and make you look like a badass what more do you need.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

TheJoker138 posted:

Knowing that something happened, and showing that it happened, are two different things. It has been explained, at length, how the comics undo what is shown in the movie by turning Furiosa and the wives into different people with different motivations. The movie is universally praised for its depiction of women, the comic... well it's the opposite.

Pick any one of these:

http://io9.com/the-furiosa-comic-undoes-everything-great-about-mad-max-1713368243
https://boingboing.net/2015/06/25/the-furiosa-comic-is-terrible.html
http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mad-max-comics-half-assed-female-characters.html
http://powderroom.kinja.com/well-the-imperator-furiosa-comic-is-terrible-1713233019
http://www.themarysue.com/furiosa-comic-review/

These were the top five Google hits for "Furiosa comic". It's reviled.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I came up with a metagame for this game the other day. When you find a historical relic, look at the picture, then flip it to see whats on the back as usual. BUT, before you flip back, do your own take on what you think max will say, and then flip back. +1 point if your comment matches Mad Max's! :haw:

Also, what are your guys hit combo high scores? I managed a combo of 54 the other day. The melee in this game rocks. I just feels so fluid. However the camera can be a bit of a hassle when it suddenly decides to zoom in, making it impossible to see incoming attacks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Parkingtigers posted:

Knowing that something happened, and showing that it happened, are two different things. It has been explained, at length, how the comics undo what is shown in the movie by turning Furiosa and the wives into different people with different motivations. The movie is universally praised for its depiction of women, the comic... well it's the opposite.

It's also a comic and will be ignored in the ~cannon~ of the universe anyway, no matter how many times Miller's name appears as a consultant or whatever he did with it. This is convenient because trying to rope all the movies together into some sort of coherent timeline is impossible anyway.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Dammit I've been away for a week and I'm really jonesing for some hot black on black action. Gotta get back to the wasteland and clean that map!

Then decide if I wanna get that last cheer. Those challenges are gonna be a pain unless I start another save. Which I'm totally considering. :black101:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Did you get the one in Pink Eye's stronghold?

Jerusalem posted:

Go up to the top level of Pink Eye's stronghold and look over in a corner where a bed can be found, there's a relic there that doesn't have the standard gear icon over it - it's the one I was missing too.

Yup, History Relics has got the little green check mark when I press the button that brings up the location info overlay. I wonder if there's some salvage site that didn't pop up on the map, that's how I found I was missing one in Chum's territory. Got all the relics from the camps, too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just started getting into this now that MGS is out of the way and holy gently caress it's good.

One thing though, is this one of those games where I'll be swimming in scrap eventually or is it a fairly slow trickle all the way to the end? Also, do i have to personally scavenge every single place to get the 100% scavenge or can i unlock an ability for all the collectibles to show up on my map/radar?

Edit: My one gripe with games like these is that there's often not a map put in place to show you where the hundreds of collectibles are.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kin posted:

I've just started getting into this now that MGS is out of the way and holy gently caress it's good.

One thing though, is this one of those games where I'll be swimming in scrap eventually or is it a fairly slow trickle all the way to the end? Also, do i have to personally scavenge every single place to get the 100% scavenge or can i unlock an ability for all the collectibles to show up on my map/radar?

Edit: My one gripe with games like these is that there's often not a map put in place to show you where the hundreds of collectibles are.
Completing the survey project in a stronghold reveals all scavenger areas in that stronghold's territory.

It's actually a fairly slow trickle that gets increased for each camp you take over. The biggest way to get scrap is to crack open motherlode boxes that appear during storms.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm at 99% on the history relics, and cannot find a spot on the map where it's telling me there's one available.

Provided these things are in order, I'm missing the one after the nitrous tank:

BAH GAWD DON'T DO THIS SOMEBODY STOP THE drat APOCALYPSE

Max's dialogue for this relic: "The smell of barbecuing meat is everywhere, but not the kind you'd want to eat"
I found this IIRC somewhere south of the jaw.

Sorry it's not much more info, but at least I can tell you the relic is definitely out there.

edit: \/\/\/ There's normally 1 piece of scrap I can't find that ends up inside a shipping container that you have to use the crowbar on, in some small corner of a camp. I tend to google the camp name and "missing scrap" or something and tend to find people have asked about the tough ones. Also there are plenty of youtube videos of people going through and showing where all the scrap is for bigger camps.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 16, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Accordion Man posted:

Completing the survey project in a stronghold reveals all scavenger areas in that stronghold's territory.

It's actually a fairly slow trickle that gets increased for each camp you take over. The biggest way to get scrap is to crack open motherlode boxes that appear during storms.

Ah yeah, I saw that, I meant within those locations. Like some sort of end game super ability. It's just that I've been unable to find some of the scrap in the places I've been no matter how much I hunt.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've only just started getting into this: how much of the story do I need to do before I can just get out into the wasteland? I just got to Jeets stronghold.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kin posted:

Ah yeah, I saw that, I meant within those locations. Like some sort of end game super ability. It's just that I've been unable to find some of the scrap in the places I've been no matter how much I hunt.
Ah, I actually used a Youtube walkthrough for ones I missed when I went through them.

Just search for the VGFAQ channel on Youtube, the forum just freaks out if I try to link it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've only just started getting into this: how much of the story do I need to do before I can just get out into the wasteland? I just got to Jeets stronghold.

You're pretty much ready.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

nexus6 posted:

Do enough to get some harpoon upgrades, maaaybe the thunderpoon.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Man, the Gastown Race is infuriating as gently caress. It feels like the game imposes some weird handling penalty, because my Opus has gone from laser-guided, super-charged, guzzoline missile to completely squirrelly shitbox that can't travel in a straight line in an open arena. What are some of y'all's set-ups for the race? I'm running a Wild Hunt body, no ramming grill, lightest armor, dual groovies, grinders, and maxed out suspension, engine, boost, and thunderpoon. I'm careful with the throttle for fear that the car goes immediately sideways, and gently caress boosting in that mess.

The thing to remember is that it's NOT really a race, you only need to go fast enough to get Stank gum in your very generous thunderpoon range. The only thing I'd recommend is some armor and upgraded thunderpoon as much as you can.

I'd been addicted to quick-firing my harpoon/thunderpoon in the normal map (when you just tap RB, your buddy will auto-fire at the enemy closest to the center of the screen), but for Stank gum it often pays to actually aim at him to make sure you're hitting him and not the cannon fodder around him, who can be pretty much ignored unless they're directly in your way.

So, just go fast enough to get into range, and never don't be firing 'poons at SG.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

So, uh, where do I find the camera mode screencaps? I just took my first one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So, uh, where do I find the camera mode screencaps? I just took my first one.

On the PS4? Go to your library and look for capture gallery or go to the game icon and press down a few times until you see something about your photos/videos.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Good to see the Blue Man Group are still booking gigs in the Wasteland. Probably charging an arm and a leg :downsrim:

And this one just because I love the feature:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kilometers Davis posted:

On the PS4? Go to your library and look for capture gallery or go to the game icon and press down a few times until you see something about your photos/videos.

I don't know whether CroationAlzheimers was asking for PS4 or PC, but I'd like to know where they are on PC. So far I've just been using Fraps.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't know whether CroationAlzheimers was asking for PS4 or PC, but I'd like to know where they are on PC. So far I've just been using Fraps.
They just get saved by Steam like every other screenshot does when you hit F12. Check out the game's entry in your library.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

They just get saved by Steam like every other screenshot does when you hit F12. Check out the game's entry in your library.

Ah, right on. Yeah, sorry. I'm playing on PC.

Also, Jesus Christ, gently caress Buzzards and gently caress Scrotus forever.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

So, I drove this glorious bastard down the side of a mountain, in reverse, while blasting fools with my shotgun. Best twenty bucks I ever spent.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Still not found that drat history relic :argh:

Canyonerrrrrooooo

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Still not found that drat history relic :argh:

Canyonerrrrrooooo

Have you checked all the balloons? They have history relics too.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Capn Beeb posted:

"OP" item in a single player game. :lol:

<This is from pages ago now, but since I wrote it up (before forgetting about it overnight) then I'm drat sure I'm going to post it. Beeb is laughing about someone calling the maxed out shotgun OP>

I think this is a reasonable argument. Maybe OP is the wrong term, but I would say the difficulty is occasionally poorly judged in this game, particularly with regard to evoking the kind of action as seen in the films. I can happily slaughter most things I come across with my enormous stash of thunderpoons and enormous death shotgun.

This feels neither thematically appropriate or even exciting in raw gameplay terms and it doesn't encourage you to engage with the combat systems, and thats really the primary meaning of "balance" in this context. If theres a variety of fun things in a game you want to nudge people towards giving them all a go, and I'd say here the heart of the combat is shunting stuff, which is frequently skippable for spamming a rocket launcher.

A little tension goes a long way, hard choices are generally good for gameplay, and wondering "drat, can I spare a shotgun shell right now?" would benefit the game and the theme. As it stands right now? Yes, you can. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM.

It renders the game a bit flatter in my eyes that it could.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Korgan posted:

Have you checked all the balloons? They have history relics too.

Nope, didn't even think to check there.

ShineDog posted:

<This is from pages ago now, but since I wrote it up (before forgetting about it overnight) then I'm drat sure I'm going to post it. Beeb is laughing about someone calling the maxed out shotgun OP>

That person said the jacket was OP and the shotgun sucks.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Nope, didn't even think to check there.

Hahahaha I literally just found that history relic, cheers to texasmed for the dialogue. Spoiled below if you want the exact location.

Gutgash's territories, the balloon in Grit Canyons. :v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yuuuup, it was south of The Jaw alright. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Capn Beeb posted:

Of course the shotgun sucks. Everyone has seen Road Warrior, right? Frankly I'm a little sad that the shells in this game fire every time.

• Locked thread