Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
When the teachers asked him what it was, Ahmed should have replied, "This, my darling, is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

When the teachers asked him what it was, Ahmed should have replied, "This, my darling, is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults."

"Imagine four bigots at the edge of a cliff..."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phone posted:

That was Mercedes in Arkansas, if I remember correctly.

E: wrong A state, it was Alabama

Also Boeing in South Carolina.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilbastard posted:

At that point any sane organisation would just go "OK, You win", because nothing they can do or say can overcome that photo.

Except an organization that arrests a scrawny freshman nerd for building what's obviously a clock isn't exactly sane. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they double down and circle the wagons purely to spite the nationwide backlash they're about to receive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Except an organization that arrests a scrawny freshman nerd for building what's obviously a clock isn't exactly sane. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they double down and circle the wagons purely to spite the nationwide backlash they're about to receive.

Then in a perverse sense of justice, Ahmed's family has to pay for emotional damages incurred by the inept school admins and police officers.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Brannock posted:

I hope they identify who that one officer is and fire him and permanently bar him from being a cop.

You kidding me? That's the kind of attitude police forces look for. Dude'll probably get a promotion.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You kidding me? That's the kind of attitude police forces look for. Dude'll probably get a promotion.

Tru American Hero.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Heritage foundation just crapped on Scalise's plan of using reconciliation to defund PP. they are of the stance that it is not enough to tot get a bill on the President's desk, they need to end funding.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/heritage-action-skeptical-scalises-budget-reconciliation-strategy/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fried Chicken posted:

Heritage foundation just crapped on Scalise's plan of using reconciliation to defund PP. they are of the stance that it is not enough to tot get a bill on the President's desk, they need to end funding.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/heritage-action-skeptical-scalises-budget-reconciliation-strategy/

thats nice that they have decided to crash and burn everything for the hypocritical bullshit.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Appellate court just halted the execution of Richard Glossip

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8cd8852ab3e4433b8d9ec847b30d6bf3/latest-oklahoma-execute-1st-inmate-court-ruling

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

So, IMPEACH?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh man thank goodness.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great." ~ Barack Hussein Obama.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Phone posted:

That was Mercedes in Arkansas, if I remember correctly.

E: wrong A state, it was Alabama

Boeing had it in South Carolina, too.

E, F, B. Surprised someone else ran into that issue.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Obviously so if you're Muslim.

On the plus side, he's getting a lot of support from NASA engineers and other famous nerds:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great." ~ Barack Hussein Obama.

Get ready for a ton more hot takes now

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Trollbama rocking and rolling. Hope he gets pictures of being in the oval office holding the clock front and center.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Swagger Dagger posted:

Like 2750°F hot.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Swagger Dagger posted:

And more "Obama doesn't support cops!" :supaburn:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
He's also getting invites from people at MIT.

:chanpop:

This kid is gonna go places.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Like 2750°F hot.

But that's hot enough to....

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

But that's hot enough to....

Why do you think Obama wants to draw attention away from this fact and toward a committed bomb-maker? Just like 1993.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

MariusLecter posted:

He's also getting invites from people at MIT.

:chanpop:

This kid is gonna go places.

Was MIT one of the schools that was a part of the Iranian student boondoggle some months back?

Edit: Nope doesn't appear so.

Good on you, MIT.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"Ahmed asked to call his dad, but was told no. He was handcuffed in his NASA shirt instead."

Dallas are poo poo heads, especially their basketball team.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Ahmed asked to call his dad, but was told no.

Wait... can you do this? (Well, clearly you can if you're a hosed up PD, but I mean legally.) Can you hold a minor and refuse to let him contact his parents in TX?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sundae posted:

Wait... can you do this? (Well, clearly you can if you're a hosed up PD, but I mean legally.) Can you hold a minor and refuse to let him contact his parents in TX?

Apparently? I think you can do this in all states if they get arrested at school somehow? Something about the school being allowed to give police permission to interregate you maybe?

Also, the charges at least have been dropped: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...d-hoax-bomb.ece

He still is suspended however.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can't wait to hear Mike Huckabee's enlightened thoughts on Ahmed's arrest during the debate tonight. :allears:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

And more "Obama doesn't support cops!" :supaburn:

Funny you should mention that.

quote:

Surf City Police Chief Mike Halstead has retired effective immediately following an emergency meeting called in reference to a Facebook post he made.

"Open letter from a Police Chief , this Black Lives Matter group is nothing more than an American born terrorist group brought on by the lie of the hands up don’t shoot during the criminal thug Michael Brown incident. The FBI and other Government Law Enforcement groups need to step up and put a stop to this. The Government and blacks would not tolerate the White Supremacist group to march through the streets and call for the murders of a race of people and a group of public servants. I agree there is a race problem in this country. It is not brought on by police officer doing their sworn duty, it is brought on by the government, the President and his cronies Al Sharpton, who is a criminal tax evader (but has the support of our so called President), Jessi Jackson, Eric Holder and that ignorant S.O.B. Farrakhan who should be charged with solicitation for murder, lord knows a white man would be arrested for the same actions of idiot Farakhan."

You can read the rest of that shitcock's post at that link.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sundae posted:

I don't think you can, from what I remember, but it's like illegal searches in that there's no actual penalty for doing so unless you end up pushing charges, which I doubt they'll do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I can't wait to hear Mike Huckabee's enlightened thoughts on Ahmed's arrest during the debate tonight. :allears:

By the way CNN.com is so loving bad right now.

CNN has run 2200 stories on Trump since June 16.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Obama is a cool guy and I like him a lot.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Riosan posted:

That is an extremely unchill thing to say imo, this person does not deserve to be a leader in Surf City

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sundae posted:

Maybe not legally. School faculty have been known to do pretty deplorable poo poo when they are on a power trip. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/25/AR2009062501690.html

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Riosan posted:

lol at this guy's whining that he got let go with only two months severance. party of personal responsibility, folks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Riosan posted:

And enjoy the highly rated comment about nostalgia for the days when you could arbitrarily arrest black people, oh sorry 'thugs'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Riosan posted:

poo poo like this makes me want to drink.
also dont read the comments.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Well now the republicans have to come out against this kid somehow. They really don't have a choice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think you can, from what I remember, but it's like illegal searches in that there's no actual penalty for doing so unless you end up pushing charges, which I doubt they'll do.

Note that they didn't prevent him from contacting his parents because they met him at the station. They prevented him from contacting them in the room while being arrested. Likewise, your right to an attorney doesn't mean that you have a right to stop a traffic stop from progressing until an attorney shows up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that they didn't prevent him from contacting his parents because they met him at the station. They prevented him from contacting them in the room while being arrested. Likewise, your right to an attorney doesn't mean that you have a right to stop a traffic stop from progressing until an attorney shows up.

I was under the impression they had prevented him from contacting them for quite a while, not just during the actual arrest part? I may have misunderstood something I read, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

I'm going to miss Trollbama so much when he's out of office. :allears:

• Locked thread