Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ekusukariba posted:

Do her cutscenes still trigger if you don't have a high bond with her? like wonder if you could have your avatar unlocked at the time, since we don't get to use the avatar in cutscenes out of replays it'd be interesting to know if you could save some cutscenes and use the avatar in them, though it probably just switches to Big Boss

Some of them don't. I saw here jump into the chlorine gas pit, and her being tortured, but there was no rain dance for me. ...I wonder how the birthday cutscene is changed if it only happens post-Quiet leaving...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Snak posted:

Some of them don't. I saw here jump into the chlorine gas pit, and her being tortured, but there was no rain dance for me. ...I wonder how the birthday cutscene is changed if it only happens post-Quiet leaving...

Birthday changes depending on who is unlocked at the time, like I had Huey and DD (i think) show up, but Quiet was still in the brig and not unlocked so she didn't show up

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Permanent loss makes more sense in a linear game where a new game + option would allow you to go back and play with stuff the plot has taken away from you. In an open world game without a new game +, the idea of being locked out of gameplay content forever is a lot more difficult to justify. It is thematically powerful (if we accept the theme is phantom pain) but at the same time I understand why people are bitter about this, especially when the gameplay is the thing carrying this game.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 16, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In It For The Tank posted:

Permanent loss makes more sense in a linear game where a new game + option would allow you to go back and play with stuff the plot has taken away from you. In an open world game without a new game +, the idea of being locked out of gameplay content forever is a lot more difficult to justify. It is thematically powerful (if we accept the theme is phantom pain) but at the same time I understand why people are bitter about this, especially when the gameplay is the thing carrying this game.

Is it really locking you out of content? You can still do all the missions, you just can't bring your aimbot buddy with you

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Also if you want to raise her bond but not have her leave, I think you just have to use the Butterfly Front or something on your emblem and she'll stick around.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Snak posted:

Yeah it's why I don't use her very much. She's not very useful at low bond. I started almost every mission solo and only called her in when it was clear I wanted to clean out an entire base for some reason. Then I had to dismiss her when I wanted her to stop shooting people. Which lowers her bond.

I believe Quiet only automatically shoots if you get caught, or you tell her to cover you which is a higher bond ability. When she's standing by she should always wait for your command before attacking. If you want to raise her bond but don't want her to attack anybody you could just send her to scout, and instead of dismissing her just tell her to go somewhere else away from the action.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For the record, I agree that it's lame that post-game sandbox freeroam doesn't have a way for you to get Quiet back. The post-game should be where you can just screw around and try all your crazy gear and strats that you didn't try during your playthrough of the story.

Sure you can start a new game, but then you have research timers if you want to play with Quiet and rocket-fist or whatever.

edit: ^ I know there's all kinds of work arounds. God every time I talk about this it's the same poo poo. I only use Quiet when I want her to start shooting. There is no stop shooting command. I do not care about any of the other bullshit. There is not a hold fire command unlocked from the beginning. For this reason I don't use her enough to raise her bond. That's all I'm saying. I give two shits if she gets better later.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 16, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is it really locking you out of content? You can still do all the missions, you just can't bring your aimbot buddy with you

It's locking you out of content in terms that it limits how you can play the game and she was one of only four buddies you have so her loss feels significant. She was also the best buddy for an offensive playstyle (D-Walker can't do poo poo on his own, even with Intercept Mode because he doesn't move around by himself and doesn't avoid damage) because she could take out guys and vehicles and look after herself.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

MY SNIPER WIFE LEFT ME

Why, Wolf :smith:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Quiet leaving is a dumb drama bomb. All she needs to do is get the wolbachia treatment or have her vocal chords removed, or both. She's not even at risk personally from the parasites. They kill you by eating your lungs, and she doesn't have any.

They could have had the same scene all the way to the end, except she has her vocal chords removed and stops humming that stupid song all the time. There you go, there's your phantom pain, and I can still trickshot grenades through windows.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

MGS3 Snake is such a loving caveman compared to MGSV Snake. A weird, awkward caveman. Really jarring to go back to an earlier game

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

TheHoosier posted:

MGS3 Snake is such a loving caveman compared to MGSV Snake. A weird, awkward caveman. Really jarring to go back to an earlier game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rde38dO4XJQ

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Vengarr posted:

Quiet leaving is a dumb drama bomb. All she needs to do is get the wolbachia treatment or have her vocal chords removed, or both. She's not even at risk personally from the parasites. They kill you by eating your lungs, and she doesn't have any.

They could have had the same scene all the way to the end, except she has her vocal chords removed and stops humming that stupid song all the time. There you go, there's your phantom pain, and I can still trickshot grenades through windows.

Besides, how can she even talk without lungs? This whole thing is coming apart at the seams

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Panzeh posted:

It's not the loss of Quiet herself, yeah, it's just the loss of having a sniper buddy at all that makes it dumb.

"So, Boss, we know you like having sniper cover, so we found a sniper on base- they call him the Shotmaker. Just select him from the buddy menu like you did Quiet."

Bam, there you go, with a tie in to boot.
"Dude even snipes with buckshot! How awesome is that?"

Hired

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Besides, how can she even talk without lungs? This whole thing is coming apart at the seams
Well her diaphragm works, and her lungs exists, it's just that the alveoli are destroyed by burning so they are useless. Assuming that the parasites keeping her alive are also stopping them from filling with fluid, she would still be able to fill them with air in order to speak. Since the VOCAL CHORD PARASITES want her to be able to speak, it's in their best interested to make her airbags continue to work.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Snak posted:

Well her diaphragm works, and her lungs exists, it's just that the alveoli are destroyed by burning so they are useless. Assuming that the parasites keeping her alive are also stopping them from filling with fluid, she would still be able to fill them with air in order to speak. Since the VOCAL CHORD PARASITES want her to be able to speak, it's in their best interested to make her airbags continue to work.

Those are some handy magical multi-purpose parasites. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, murder parasites activated only by the sound of certain languages spoken in post-pubescent voices is so dumb in and of itself that I'm not even being sarcastic.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I'm just happy Kojima didn't decide that D-Dog was the choice for stupid sacrifice that makes no sense. Eat poo poo Quiet, you killed the Nurse and the Doctor from the intro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The game's scoring system actually credits those kills to the garotte.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Those are some handy magical multi-purpose parasites. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, murder parasites activated only by the sound of certain languages spoken in post-pubescent voices is so dumb in and of itself that I'm not even being sarcastic.

I think VOCAL CHORD PARASITES are loving awesome and I be Neal Stephenson wishes he thought of them.

But the game also already has parasites that turn people into photosynthesizing terminators covered in armor who can turn invisible and also teleport and pull guns out of thin air. So given all of that, I bet Quiet can talk just fine with her crispy lungs.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Snak posted:

But the game also already has parasites that turn people into photosynthesizing terminators covered in armor who can turn invisible and also teleport and pull guns out of thin air. So given all of that, I bet Quiet can talk just fine with her crispy lungs.

My sentiments exactly. That's why I'm not even going to bring up her crispy larynx!

I think her leaving fit the theme, anyhow, and it was a great ending to her story arc. I miss my sniper buddy, but on the other hand I'm pretty much done with the game anyway.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Man Really Digs Emil Cioran Quote, Accidentaly Rips Off Resident Evil Plot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I assume that the healing factor parasites would have a vested interest in rebuilding her larynx. They healed all of her skin just fine. They have no need for alveoli, so they didn't need to fix her lungs as long as she can draw breath to speak.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
All in all probably the worst metal gear in terms of story save MGS 2.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Buschmaki posted:

Play MGS4, you get to pilot Rex and make it roundhouse kick Ray in the face.

It really was a v good game

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I'd throw 4 into that pile, too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

I think it's worse than MGS2. MGS2's story isn't even bad, it's that a chunk of the ending was cut (it's like poetry, it's like it rhymes), and Jack and Rose are annoying as gently caress. The actual story is pretty good.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Quiet leaving makes sense for the narrative

The way she leaves is stupid

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Quiet leaving is not the problem. The problem is that it's badly implemented from a gameplay point of view.

I can replay any and all missions with DD and D-Walker, even those were I didn't have them when I first played them. But Quiet is simply wiped from the game. Even her photos are removed from the Heli once she's gone. That's bad game design, that's what it is.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Snak posted:

I think it's worse than MGS2. MGS2's story isn't even bad, it's that a chunk of the ending was cut (it's like poetry, it's like it rhymes), and Jack and Rose are annoying as gently caress. The actual story is pretty good.

MGS2 still gave us Raiden, who owns more and more as the series goes on

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Buschmaki posted:

When you hold people up you can squeeze their balls super hard and make them pass out, when you do this to women they call you a pervert and you get an alert.
Can't you just first person punch them in the stomach to get the same effect though

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Snak posted:

Yeah I'd agree with this.

Terminally Bored posted:

I'd throw 4 into that pile, too.

Everyone look upon this post, and see how wrong it is. Know this poster can never post again in good faith having made such a terrible post.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Mangoose posted:

Parasites grant you photosynthetic healing, or some poo poo like that. Thus getting injected with parasites probably healed here lungs. But then again, doesn't she breathe through her skin? Wouldn't here lungs have atrophied away from disuse? It's not like she talks often anyway.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd say MGS1 and 3 are just about the only games in the series that I found satisfying story wise. The rest I could give or take, but they're still extremely fun to play.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

/\/\/\
Absolutely. 1 and 3 are also the only ones that can be enjoyed and understood by newcomers.

Knifegrab posted:

Everyone look upon this post, and see how wrong it is. Know this poster can never post again in good faith having made such a terrible post.

Bad Fan-fiction The Game has good story. Sure.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 16, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Gorn Myson posted:

I'd say MGS1 and 3 are just about the only games in the series that I found satisfying story wise. The rest I could give or take, but they're still extremely fun to play.

Peace Walker works pretty well and is the only one of the 3 attempts (Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Phantom Pain) that really accomplish anything in regards to showing how Big Boss gets from the end of MGS3 to the end of Metal Gear.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ZenVulgarity posted:

MGS2 still gave us Raiden, who owns more and more as the series goes on

"If I told you a decade ago that Dante would be a pansy and Raiden would be badass, you would have punched me in the face."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

"If I told you a decade ago that Dante would be a pansy and Raiden would be badass, you would have punched me in the face."

Correct

Also that Keifer loving Sutherland would be voicing a Snake

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like MGS1 and especially MGS2's stories the most. MGS3 is fine though its narrative is harmed by not trying to do anything especially ambitious for most of the game. PO is alright, didn't care much for the stories in MGS4, PW, or MGRR, and I liked MGSV's story quite a bit personally.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I actually really liked MGV's story and themes a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I like MGS1 and especially MGS2's stories the most. MGS3 is fine though its narrative is harmed by not trying to do anything especially ambitious for most of the game. PO is alright, didn't care much for the stories in MGS4, PW, or MGRR, and I liked MGSV's story quite a bit personally.

Literally MGS3's only "flaw" is that it's a pretty straightforward, conventional spy story. This is part of the reason it's so emotionally effective, i think. The characters are the most relateable MGS characters have ever been. But compared to the craziness of all the other games, its story seems really "basic".

I like a lot about V's story, but I think it could have been told a lot better.

There's a post on reddit right now about how how V is a mirror of 2, and it's kind of neat.

In that thread, someone brings up how in MGS2, Ocelot steals RAY and escapes, which is not resolved. Pretty similar to how Eli steals Sahelanthropus and escapes, which is not resolved.

• Locked thread