Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Otisburg posted:

help me goons.

is there a better way to represent motherbrain for my metroid finale homage? I need something that will mostly stay put in the "tank" and take several hits but ultimately die. using the orig tile set. right now I've got a pile of pirana plants but i'm already using that for each of the tube thingies on the approach and it doesn't feel super satisfying.

Maybe three wigglers stacked on top of each other, using tracks to ensure they don't leave, and then use bob-ombs as missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hm I didn't have the track unlocked when I originally built this piece, I'll have to go back to the lab with it a bit...

E: I also didn't know bobombs killed wigglers, cool.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 16, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Hm I didn't have the track unlocked when I originally built this piece, I'll have to go back to the lab with it a bit...

The POW block also kills anything that can die.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Otisburg posted:

You're using ice blocks as a way to illustrate mother brain's tank, right? Because they destroy ice blocks too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Let me tell you Motherbrainz 2.0 is going to be a big improvement since I've tapped the Goon Mariomaker Braintrust

thanks friends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't play any Mario maker yesterday. Ay caramba.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

In Training posted:

I didn't play any Mario maker yesterday. Ay caramba.

just think of how many notifications you'll have when you sign back in

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I get excited every day to turn on Mario maker for the first time and see all my stars and comments since the last time I played. It's like Xmas morning every day. I'm getting very near 100 stars now, so I need to ramp up my level production a bit.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i think my level has been played like 6 or 7 times. 100 stars is 100 more than i've gotten and is 100 stars more than i would know what to do with

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

i think my level has been played like 6 or 7 times. 100 stars is 100 more than i've gotten and is 100 stars more than i would know what to do with
Make more levels.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Azraelle posted:

The start is fine once you realize that you can ignore the first wiggler and just run and bounce on the rest. I failed a few times at the part where you have to use the cape to fall through the wigglers. I didn't quite get how to navigate it. Then I stopped trying because I wasn't enjoying that challenge.

e: maybe add a few "hint coins" to that part to show the intended route?

yeah the cape fall is the one part that I expected to give some people trouble, unfortunately most people don't even bother making it that far.

it's not so much a route (unfortunately the bottom part depends on the way enemies spawn in, sometimes they'll move the way I intended but other times they won't), you just use the cape spin to kill wigglers as you float down. not using the spin (either spin jumping or the attack) makes it way more difficult since you can get hit if you bounce back up, but I'm not sure how to imply to people "Spin Here, remember that spin exists and is powerful" without spelling something out using coins.

i guess if I wanted to re-build it, I could try adding a vertical track-wiggler to wall off the falling section, so that you have to kill something with spin before you get to it. or i'd just replace the cape section with something else entirely, since having it also requires me to wall off the next section with a buzzsaw to make sure people can't keep the cape.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 16, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

yeah the cape fall is the one part that I expected to give some people trouble, unfortunately most people don't even bother making it that far.

it's not so much a route, you just use the cape spin to kill wigglers as you float down. not using the spin (either spin jumping or the attack) makes it way more difficult since you can get hit if you bounce back up, but I'm not sure how to imply to people "Spin Here, remember that spin exists and is powerful" without spelling something out using coins.

i guess if I wanted to re-build it, I could try adding a vertical track-wiggler to wall off the falling section, so that you have to kill something with spin before you get to it

A vertical wall of spin blocks that the player must use the cape attack to pass will remind them that the option exists. Once "primed" in this way, maybe follow it up with a 2-high tunnel with an approaching goomba that can also only be beaten with the spin, to remind them it's not just for blocks.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ah, right, I forgot about the spin-blocks as well. That's a good option.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
just reached 150 stars total and my third medal

Soral
May 30, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Make more levels.

i made a level that i thought was really awesome and then i caught up on reading this thread and someone posted basically the exact idea i had, before i uploaded mine..........

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Locust fart hell is a super creator. His industriousness should be a beacon of inspiration to us all.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I will play and star your levels soral, don't be timid !

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Please post vids of your levels, if you desire.. I can either get a Wii U or eat Chipotle every day after work for a month, and, well, Chipotle gives me life.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

net cafe scandal posted:

Please post vids of your levels, if you desire.. I can either get a Wii U or eat Chipotle every day after work for a month, and, well, Chipotle gives me life.

im making tacos at home tonight and playing mario maker while eating them. gently caress you.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I'll go through my levels and record them for you, when I set up my TV tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

im making tacos at home tonight and playing mario maker while eating them. gently caress you.

Brutal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Chipotle is like 10 dollars where I live. That's at most 3 weeks of no chipotle before you could buy a Wii u.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

In Training posted:

Chipotle is like 10 dollars where I live. That's at most 3 weeks of no chipotle before you could buy a Wii u.

while I support this gamer getting the best gaming system outside a good PC

3x5x10 is 150 which is still about 70 short of getting even the refurbished wii u from nintendo once you factor in shipping

add in the cost of the game and you're talking about almost a whole nother 3 weeks he'd have to avoid getting his lovely overpriced flavorless burrito after work

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

How is the book that comes with the physical version?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I had some really good Al Pastor tacos yesterday

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

HolePisser1982 posted:

it comes with the digital version too

you just call nintendo and say send me the book and give them your serial number and they send you the book

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeXReX posted:

while I support this gamer getting the best gaming system outside a good PC

3x5x10 is 150 which is still about 70 short of getting even the refurbished wii u from nintendo once you factor in shipping

add in the cost of the game and you're talking about almost a whole nother 3 weeks he'd have to avoid getting his lovely overpriced flavorless burrito after work

There are 7 days in a week.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

SeXReX posted:

it comes with the digital version too

you just call nintendo and say send me the book and give them your serial number and they send you the book

This owns, thank you. Im buying this as soon as im done working

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

monday, wednsday, friday, saturday, sunday. thats 5 days.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

monday, wednsday, friday, saturday, sunday. thats 5 days.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

As an artist, I feel like this is probably tax deductible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Send NOA an email and see if they will you support you.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I'll go through my levels and record them for you, when I set up my TV tonight.

Oh hell yes. Thanks.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

In Training posted:

There are 7 days in a week.

what kind of trash job has you working all 7 of them though

find a good job and maybe you wont be so angry at people on the internet anymore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm perfectly calm.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm leaving work early because I'm so hungry for Chipotle burritos... this is not a joke.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

#burritoHYPE

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm leaving work early because I'm so hungry for Chipotle burritos... this is not a joke.
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Chipotle, Netflix and Chill

• Locked thread