Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

imurdaddy415 posted:

What do you think of a 5820K for CF fury x? would the 5830k be worth the extra for the larger pcie lane?

CPU's good. Take some advice and buy a pair of 980Tis though, the Fury X is pretty lackluster unless you plan on playing games at 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The extra 2 cores and 64GB of memory are more of a benefit than the extra lanes. If you're not going to need 6 cores or 64GB of memory and can't afford 980tis with a 5820k I'd shuffle everything around to a 4790k and 980tis. Even with only 4 lanes videocards still aren't running into PCIE bandwidth limits.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Hot drat! Newegg finally had the 6700k in stock. Goodbye Nehalem, hello Skylake! Also goodbye flaky motherboard with a pci bus clock that wanders 10ish Mhz up and down around 100Mhz.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What are you upgrading from?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Potato Salad posted:

What are you upgrading from?

Intel® Core™ i7-860. ARK.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dang, dude. That's double the CPU PassMark score. You're gonna have a good time.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Dang, dude. That's double the CPU PassMark score. You're gonna have a good time.

I remember the time when the recommendation was to always wait for a CPU with double the performance of your old one before upgrading ...
I guess it's nice you can now keep your system for six years.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

So Broadwell-C is dead. https://www.itworld.com/article/2984695/hardware/intel-kills-a-top-of-the-line-processor.html
Far more interesting than Skylake, but what can you do?
It'd be nice if Intel made an unlocked Skylake CPU with 128MiB L4 cache, but a low end GPU to save cost and die space, to give us the all rounder I'd lust for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

So Broadwell-C is dead. https://www.itworld.com/article/2984695/hardware/intel-kills-a-top-of-the-line-processor.html
It'd be nice if Intel made an unlocked Skylake CPU with 128MiB L4 cache, but a low end GPU to save cost and die space, to give us the all rounder I'd lust for.

Wow. So these never got a release in the US, but got shipped to reviewers and sold in Europe / Asia? Oh well. At least Skylake has a full desktop lineup.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I'd be all over that, it would be a truly worthy sandy vag upgrade.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Wow, they actually cancelled Broadwell. I figured they'd at least put out a small run in the US just to say they did it and just not make any more.

Any Euro/Asia goons who can get a Broadwell proc you should snap them up, you're sitting on Ebay gold.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Hahahaha of loving course they'd stop making the only definite upgrade over anything bought since Sandy Bridge

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ugh Outlook could have opened EVEN QUICKER with that chip drat YOU INTEL :argh:

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
That article actually made me order a 5775c at the two placed that actually had it listed for pre-order. Looking forward to getting the orders cancelled.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

ugh Outlook could have opened EVEN QUICKER with that chip drat YOU INTEL :argh:

I too have only installed outlook on my windows computer

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wait, reactions on this thread conflicting with article. It says Skylake-C was cancelled, not Broadwell?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

quote:

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of the story misidentified the product that has been retired. It is the Skylake-C and not the Broadwell-C that has been discontinued. Changes have been made throughout the story to reflect the change.

I'm guessing there's a similar chip in the works for Kaby Lake. I can't imagine Intel completely throwing out the "let's have an enormous L4 cache" idea, surely there's some niche somewhere that'll pay Intel big money for those CPUs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Wait, reactions on this thread conflicting with article. It says Skylake-C was cancelled, not Broadwell?
whew!

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
That's awesome crisis averted.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Nevermind, negative reaction is still an appropriate response. :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VostokProgram posted:

I'm guessing there's a similar chip in the works for Kaby Lake. I can't imagine Intel completely throwing out the "let's have an enormous L4 cache" idea, surely there's some niche somewhere that'll pay Intel big money for those CPUs.

That niche is (among others, I'm sure) gamers who already drop $650+ on top-of-the-line GPUs to match with their $300+ CPU on their $150+ Z-series motherboard. The 5775C was not prohibitively more expensive than various other non-C chips, while offering meaningful improvements in ways that simple improve IPC and clocks don't really bring anymore. People were buying them for upwards of $550, despite the MSRP being more like $350. There absolutely are people who'd snap them up.

Now whether that niche is lucrative enough to warrant a separate fab line (since obviously these are a whole different ballgame than just binning and lasering off bits of chips that make up the majority of the Intel lineup) is another question entirely.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrDork posted:

That niche is (among others, I'm sure) gamers who already drop $650+ on top-of-the-line GPUs to match with their $300+ CPU on their $150+ Z-series motherboard. The 5775C was not prohibitively more expensive than various other non-C chips, while offering meaningful improvements in ways that simple improve IPC and clocks don't really bring anymore. People were buying them for upwards of $550, despite the MSRP being more like $350. There absolutely are people who'd snap them up.

Now whether that niche is lucrative enough to warrant a separate fab line (since obviously these are a whole different ballgame than just binning and lasering off bits of chips that make up the majority of the Intel lineup) is another question entirely.

Does it need to be a separate fab line? These are the same die as top tier mobile quads, which are available with L4 cache, right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Twerk from Home posted:

Does it need to be a separate fab line? These are the same die as top tier mobile quads, which are available with L4 cache, right?

Yeah, all the ones with the Iris Pro 6200 should, in theory, have the L4 cache; I meant more compared to the other desktop processors, since now you're talking about a different socket. The laptop versions are also a good bit more expensive: the 5950HQ (2.9GHz base/3.7GHz turbo) lists for $623, compares to the 5775C (3.3/3.7GHz) at $366.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wipeout posted:

Not noticed it on my sandy vag chip, does it affect those too?

wipeout posted:

I'd be all over that, it would be a truly worthy sandy vag upgrade.

You gotta stop doing that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Subjunctive posted:

You gotta stop doing that.

OK.

Is FIVR coming back in Ice lake for certain?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

No, it's going back in the chipsets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, all the ones with the Iris Pro 6200 should, in theory, have the L4 cache; I meant more compared to the other desktop processors, since now you're talking about a different socket. The laptop versions are also a good bit more expensive: the 5950HQ (2.9GHz base/3.7GHz turbo) lists for $623, compares to the 5775C (3.3/3.7GHz) at $366.
Different packaging is a lot easier to manage than a different die though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

The bigger question is why there isn't a desktop Skylake-C to begin with when its on the same 14nm process. Reserved as a SKU for the refresh equivalent of Devil's Canyon? Who knows, although my guess is their 14nm process yield is so bad that Intel is struggling to produce enough tiny volume halo EDRAM mobile SKUs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Well, when I posted it that, the correction wasn't in place. Still, Broadwell-C availability is awful, and the fact there will be no Skylake equivalent is crap news in itself.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
lmao @ intel killing the only real upgrade path for CPU perf

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If they could fire the things off like hotcakes but were going "Naaah, not worth the effort" I could see it, but it's reasonably likely they simply can't make them fast enough to be worth an entire line.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/Jim-Keller-Leaves-AMD
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-18/amd-chief-architect-keller-leaves-to-pursue-other-opportunities

Begin doomsaying now!!!! ...until people realize he's done this twice before, once each for AMD and Apple and left quite some time before their really successful products made from the projects he led came through.

Like K8, and Apple's Cyclone architecture that didn't see the light of day until after he left.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Problem solvers tend to be like that regardless. They go wherever they can find intensive brain work, and then move on when they believe they're done there, for better or worse. I have this cool imagined personality for Jim where he rides into town, attempts to save the day, and then rides off into the sunset. :cool:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
So Broadwell is not really dead according to Intel:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9639/the-death-of-intels-broadwell-is-greatly-exaggerated-socketed-broadwell-continues

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/Jim-Keller-Leaves-AMD
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-18/amd-chief-architect-keller-leaves-to-pursue-other-opportunities

Begin doomsaying now!!!! ...until people realize he's done this twice before, once each for AMD and Apple and left quite some time before their really successful products made from the projects he led came through.

Like K8, and Apple's Cyclone architecture that didn't see the light of day until after he left.

Gotta get off the s hip before it sinks.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Yeah, the original IT World article was updated to correct the mistake - they were actually talking about Skylake not getting a -C version, at least based on Intel roadmaps so far.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Gotta get off the s hip before it sinks.
He would have left in 2013 if that was the case

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a stupid worthless i5 6600 k because nothing else was in stock and I wanted the latest z170 platform. Hopefully Intel wont rape the 1151 socket and come out with a real high end chip sometime :/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

I got a stupid worthless i5 6600 k because nothing else was in stock and I wanted the latest z170 platform. Hopefully Intel wont rape the 1151 socket and come out with a real high end chip sometime :/

The 6600k is still a really good chip. We don't know yet, but there is a good chance that LGA 1151 will get Kaby Lake and maybe even Cannon Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

The 6600k is still a really good chip. We don't know yet, but there is a good chance that LGA 1151 will get Kaby Lake and maybe even Cannon Lake.

That's what I am banking on. Its not a bad chip but it's about as fast as my I7 from 2 generations ago. I'll say this, I overclocked to 4.2Ghz immediately and the temperature maxed out is like 45-50c out of 100c.. that is far far cooler than any other cpu I have tried. Cool!