Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
What usually happens with price drops after new iPad models? I'm looking at probably an Air 2, once the newest model is out do they immediately drop the price on old ones? Or will they retire the current model and leave say the air 1 as the cheap option? I'd like to go 64gb but don't fancy £500+ when the new iPad comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple has been inconsistent in what they do with old iPad models. Currently you can buy both iPads Air so If they follow that, you'll be able to get an Air 2 or 3 and prices will drop the day the new model is out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

RVProfootballer posted:

I'd add the 2013 Nexus 7 is still one of the best Android tablets and is available for like $100, if a 7" Android tablet does it for you. If you're fine with the price, though, the iPad Mini 2 is worth the extra cost.

I came into the thread because Fallout Shelter has forced me to be honest and admit that my 2012 N7 is often slow jerky dogshit compared to modern phones (not just playing FS but even just booting Chrome or waiting for the keyboard to come up), and I wanted to know what the current ~7" Android hotness was. Is the best seriously a 2+ year old tablet that was discontinued 5 months ago?

I don't want anything bigger, I have a TF201 for big screen stuff and I like that the N7 fits in my camera bag and my pockets. On the other hand, my TF201 has the same problem with a lot of recent apps; what was the most recent Android model Transformer that still has the battery in the keyboard dock? Apparently they got rid of the battery for the current model, and that second battery is very important to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Splizwarf posted:

I don't want anything bigger,

:laugh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I came into the thread because Fallout Shelter has forced me to be honest and admit that my 2012 N7 is often slow jerky dogshit compared to modern phones (not just playing FS but even just booting Chrome or waiting for the keyboard to come up), and I wanted to know what the current ~7" Android hotness was. Is the best seriously a 2+ year old tablet that was discontinued 5 months ago?

I don't want anything bigger, I have a TF201 for big screen stuff and I like that the N7 fits in my camera bag and my pockets. On the other hand, my TF201 has the same problem with a lot of recent apps; what was the most recent Android model Transformer that still has the battery in the keyboard dock? Apparently they got rid of the battery for the current model, and that second battery is very important to me.

Based on your needs, I would recommend an iPad mini 2. It both has the small size you need, and it isn't a piece of poo poo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I agree, my wife has a Mini 2 and it's nice. I would like to stick with Android, though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I really like my tab s 8.4, the screen is crazy and I can it's pretty small

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Do 2in1 Tablets offer more performance for your buck? I'm trying to decide whether to get a 2in1 or a standard tablet. From what I've gathered, 2in1s have better performance but run Windows and have worse displays. Tablets on the other hand, I'm guessing have really visual displays, the battery lasts longer, and of course you can choose between android, mac, etc. Is this a decent enough summary, or am I forgetting something really important?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Google Butt posted:

I really like my tab s 8.4, the screen is crazy and I can it's pretty small

Seconding this. Still impressed with mine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

10bux posted:

Do 2in1 Tablets offer more performance for your buck? I'm trying to decide whether to get a 2in1 or a standard tablet. From what I've gathered, 2in1s have better performance but run Windows and have worse displays. Tablets on the other hand, I'm guessing have really visual displays, the battery lasts longer, and of course you can choose between android, mac, etc. Is this a decent enough summary, or am I forgetting something really important?

2 in 1 as in two operating systems on one tablet? Like it runs windows and android?

They still haven't figured out how to get a properly running android tab on its own, so I think that would be a really bad idea.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

10bux posted:

Two-in-one is a form factor that in some way lets you use a tablet or a laptop. This can mean a detachable keyboard or a display that swivels over and blocks the attached keyboard. You can always approximate a laptop with a tablet plus a Bluetooth keyboard case type thing, so that really shouldn't be a deciding factor. Instead, do you want Windows, Android, or iOS? Figure that out, then look at tablets that run that OS and pick the one you like best.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

2 in 1 as in two operating systems on one tablet? Like it runs windows and android?

They still haven't figured out how to get a properly running android tab on its own, so I think that would be a really bad idea.

No sorry, meant like the surface, lenovo yoga, or anything that has "flip" in the name. I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen many places that refer to them as "2in1, 2-in-1, etc"

The new Lenovo Yoga (15?) looks really beautiful, but I can't justify spending that much. Also, the Yoga 3 pro has a built-in projector on the back which seems like an absolutely ingenious idea.

RVProfootballer posted:

Two-in-one is a form factor that in some way lets you use a tablet or a laptop. This can mean a detachable keyboard or a display that swivels over and blocks the attached keyboard. You can always approximate a laptop with a tablet plus a Bluetooth keyboard case type thing, so that really shouldn't be a deciding factor. Instead, do you want Windows, Android, or iOS? Figure that out, then look at tablets that run that OS and pick the one you like best.

So are you saying no, that they're basically the same thing performance wise, it just comes down to what OS you're looking?

Edit: Eh, I'm an idiot. Of course the 2in1 give you way better performance. The 500gb-1tb hardrives alone prove that.

10bux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You seem a little confused about what you want. Could you maybe tell us what you're looking to do with whatever you buy? The "2 in 1" device is more comparable to laptops than iOS or Android-based tablets. If you're looking to do laptop sorts of things and occasionally use it for couch browsing or whatever, the SHSC laptop thread might be able to help you out better than this one. If you're looking for a small, touch-based device running a mobile OS, we might be able to help you out here.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

10bux posted:

Edit: Eh, I'm an idiot. Of course the 2in1 give you way better performance. The 500gb-1tb hardrives alone prove that.

Performance-wise, 2 in 1s are likely slightly less powerful than an equivalent laptop at the same price range because of the tradeoffs to hit that convertible form factor. If all you plan on doing is web browsing and light office work, it's probably still Good Enough. SSDs are also standard on convertibles, which I would say is almost worth considering a 2 in 1 over a regular laptop with a standard HDD for that alone.

Like Endless Mike says, we really need to know what your budget and use case(s) are before we can offer any real advice.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
What's the verdict on an Asus Zenpad 10 Z3200C?
Looks like a pretty sweet midrange tablet.
https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_10_Z300C/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a mid-range thing running an Atom, which means it only exists because Intel is subsidizing it, and it's an Asus, so its quality control will be sketchy at best, and you better hope it never needs warranty support.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I will do a bit more research

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Is the Samsung Galaxy S 4 solid for the price of $150? I've got a hhgregg gift card and was looking at their selections.

My wife is looking for a tablet so she can track her recipes and use in the kitchen instead of a cookbook or her laptop. Also, we plan on letting our kids play with it when they are old enough in three to four years (don't expect it to last that long honestly).

I prefer Android since I have a few Google play items that we could use. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible. Basically, would this be a bad purchase?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Galaxy S 4 is a phone, not a table. Did you mean a Tab 4?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I am an idiot. I did mean the Tab 4.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Despite the post directly above me, I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Galaxy Tab S 10.5 off amazon. That seems like it would last me a good long while. I'm definitely sticking with android because that's where I've already made all my app purchases. And I really enjoyed the big screen I had until now for things like Netflix. Thoughts?
I love mine and I watch a lot Netflix on it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've currently got a 2013 N7 tablet, which is great, but I want a full sized tablet now. I'm wanting one for browsing, reading comics/some books, and probably some Netflix and such. I'm not sure if a Surface 3 or Air 2 will be better for me, or if I should wait for Apple's thing tomorrow. I don't really have a budget for this, so price isn't an issue.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I've always thought of the Surface as a "productivity" device. Are you planning to use Microsoft Office with it? If you just want entertainment (Netflix, Comic Books, etc...) then I recommend a Galaxy Tab S 10.5. Of course waiting for the Apple announcement won't hurt. They might show off something cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I've currently got a 2013 N7 tablet, which is great, but I want a full sized tablet now. I'm wanting one for browsing, reading comics/some books, and probably some Netflix and such. I'm not sure if a Surface 3 or Air 2 will be better for me, or if I should wait for Apple's thing tomorrow. I don't really have a budget for this, so price isn't an issue.

At this point its 5ish hours away, so i would wait to hear what Apple is releasing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

At this point its 5ish hours away, so i would wait to hear what Apple is releasing.

No, he should go buy an iPad Air 2 RIGHT NOW. NO WAITING.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Since it looks like there's only the iPad pro announced, it looks like it's between the Tab S and iPad Air 2 for me. Any reasons for getting one over the other? I have apps on both stores since I used to have an iPhone and currently have an LG G3.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I wouldn't get a Tab at this point, they are 18 months old. Check out the Sony Z4 (it's gorgeous) and compare that to ipad.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

How old is the Galaxy Tab 4 then? Is it not worth getting? What would be decent tablets under $200?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

What tablets do dual/multi windows for apps? Is that standard on some version of Android?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

How old is the Galaxy Tab 4 then? Is it not worth getting? What would be decent tablets under $200?

Sorry I was talking to Mr E, who has an unlimited budget. For that price: Samsung or Asus - A Nexus 7 2013 for a little less too.

Goodbee, just Samsung afaik.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I bought the asus zenpad 10 because it had 2g of internal memory opposed to the galaxy tab 4 which had 1.5g memory.
That's my story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GoodBee posted:

What tablets do dual/multi windows for apps? Is that standard on some version of Android?

Daimo posted:

Goodbee, just Samsung afaik.
It's not standard in Android, I don't think though it might be in the next version. The iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, and iPad Pro all have it, also.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It's not standard in Android, I don't think though it might be in the next version. The iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, and iPad Pro all have it, also.

Well I that narrows down my list of stuff to compare. If I use a Samsung phone and am pretty happy with TouchWiz, is there any compelling reason to look into Apple products? I'd be comparing tablets in the 10" range.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How quickly will an iPad Air 1 become sluggish and useless? Or in other words, will I get at least a year or two out of it at this point?

Edit: And does localization mean anything? The cheapest one I can find is localized for Germany, but I'm in Denmark.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2015

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
I'm looking at a new tablet, since the wife has stolen the iPad air.

BestBuy looks to have a stupidly good deal on the Galaxy Tab S2.

Beyond the Touchwiz/no Touchwiz thing, is there anything.... particular... to samsung tablets that the review sites are ignoring?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it'll be fine for another couple years. iOS 9 runs great on it, and I would expect iOS 10 to, as well. Localization probably just means it defaults to German for a language. There's certainly nothing about it that should mean it won't work in Denmark.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Is there any expectation that Google will be doing a new Nexus tablet this year? I haven't read any rumours about any, so I'd be surprised. I'm looking for something Android-based, 8 or 10 inches. Otherwise my fallback is a Galaxy Tab S2.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, this sucks, my N7(2013) appears to have departed the red dusts of earth. It sits on the black "google" screen, and when I go to the bootloader, the bootloader works, but all the bootloader options, both "recovery" and 'start" lead me back to an infinity of black screen with white goole on it. Google support says "Call asus" and asus support says "sorry man, nothing for it, no you can't RMA it". Is it worth my time and trouble to roll the dice again with support on either front? perhaps try the phone line rather than the live chat? I'd be willing to pay (a fairly small amount) to have it repaired, because it goddamn pisses me off that 300$ worth of electronics is landfill material 2 years after manufacture and barely over warranty worth of use.

Anybody making a decent 7" form factor tablet? I don't want 8" because it won't fit in a jacket pocket.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Is avoiding human contact worth 300 dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this sucks, my N7(2013) appears to have departed the red dusts of earth. It sits on the black "google" screen, and when I go to the bootloader, the bootloader works, but all the bootloader options, both "recovery" and 'start" lead me back to an infinity of black screen with white goole on it. Google support says "Call asus" and asus support says "sorry man, nothing for it, no you can't RMA it". Is it worth my time and trouble to roll the dice again with support on either front? perhaps try the phone line rather than the live chat? I'd be willing to pay (a fairly small amount) to have it repaired, because it goddamn pisses me off that 300$ worth of electronics is landfill material 2 years after manufacture and barely over warranty worth of use.

Anybody making a decent 7" form factor tablet? I don't want 8" because it won't fit in a jacket pocket.

Just buy one off eBay for $100.