Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Rogues are fine if you never fight invisible things, or in the dark, or things that can inflict basically any status effect or cast any spell other than direct damage. Otherwise they lose all their damage unless they can beg off some way to get advantage to cancel out their disadvantage and have a flanking buddy or are a Swashbuckler (the suicidal melee archetype). It's all worth it though when you get to do almost as much damage as a fighter sometimes, or almost bypass an obstacle without having to ask a caster to turn you invisible or something.

I still enjoy playing a human rogue though, you just have to work a little harder.

My guess for the best class for a former 3.5 player: Favored Soul (it's online) Sorcerer with Warcaster. Most people I know who liked 3.5 liked multiclassing, metamagic, sky high concentration checks the DM stopped even calling for, cherrypicking the best spells, and crushing everything, all while somehow not being a glass cannon. This class gets all that while being the least thrown by the spellcasting balance changes made between those editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's already one more attack per round than even a level 20 Fighter can (passively) achieve, and without yet delving into any tomfoolery about the 24-hour control duration versus an 8 hour Long Rest to regain spell slots.
I think you'd just keep them in a closet at night, and reassert control over them in the morning. You have magic, it's trivial to make a box that a skeleton can't leave. The best part of the skeleton army is that it requires the smallest investment possible, you can focus on doing other crazy things after you learn the single spell.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Animate Dead is a level 3 spell, so the Wizard can start casting it at character level 5. The Wizard will have two level 3 spell slots, so they could summon two skeletons with 1 attack each.

Technically, after a week a wizard has up to 5 skeletons at level 5.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I don't see anything in the spell that says you can re-assert control after you have lost it. Isn't natural language fun?

quote:

The creature is under your control for 24 hours,
after which it stops obeying any command you’ve given
it. To maintain control of the creature for another
24 hours, you must cast this spell on the creature
again before the current 24-hour period ends.
This
use of the spell reasserts your control over up to four
creatures you have animated with this spell, rather than
animating a new one.
However, if the skeletons are about to break free of your control, just have them destroy each other, or command them to destroy themselves. And hey presto, you have a nice pile of bones ready to be animated.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

captain innocuous posted:

I don't see anything in the spell that says you can re-assert control after you have lost it. Isn't natural language fun?

However, if the skeletons are about to break free of your control, just have them destroy each other, or command them to destroy themselves. And hey presto, you have a nice pile of bones ready to be animated.

Getting the spell slots to control 4 skeletons at level 5 is trivial, though, since you can regain a level 3 slot on short rest. You can also do all sorts of tom foolery if you make the game really slow and boring so you can do exacting time management. But if your combat build is making dozens of ranged attacks, somehow I don't think that will bother you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A necromancer being accompanied by a platoon of bone buds is good and cool.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

slydingdoor posted:

Rogues are fine if you never fight invisible things, or in the dark, or things that can inflict basically any status effect or cast any spell other than direct damage. Otherwise they lose all their damage unless they can beg off some way to get advantage to cancel out their disadvantage and have a flanking buddy or are a Swashbuckler (the suicidal melee archetype). It's all worth it though when you get to do almost as much damage as a fighter sometimes, or almost bypass an obstacle without having to ask a caster to turn you invisible or something.

My personal favourite way is to play an Arcane Trickster with the Find Familiar spell. Pick an owl and have it use its action to Help your attack on every turn. Owls have Flyby so they don't prompt attacks of opportunity when moving out of enemy range :eng101:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Boing posted:

My personal favourite way is to play an Arcane Trickster with the Find Familiar spell. Pick an owl and have it use its action to Help your attack on every turn. Owls have Flyby so they don't prompt attacks of opportunity when moving out of enemy range :eng101:

does this cost meter?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That comment about Champion Fighters being dull as dishwater could really be applied to 5E as a whole, it's probably the blandest version of the game that's ever been made, even Essentials I'd say is more exciting

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Skellybones posted:

A necromancer being accompanied by a platoon of bone buds is good and cool.

Agreed. It is definitely something I'd include in my version of D&D. However, I would also abstract her bone buds so that they were the means by which she executed her abilities, rather than a bunch of additional bodies with their own actions/hp/etc.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012
Re: the Champion, didn't somebody in this thread run the numbers and find that they were just flat-out numerically less effective than the Battlemaster even before you took wasted crits into consideration, unless you were doing crazy numbers of fights per day?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Masiakasaurus posted:

Re: the Champion, didn't somebody in this thread run the numbers and find that they were just flat-out numerically less effective than the Battlemaster even before you took wasted crits into consideration, unless you were doing crazy numbers of fights per day?

Pretty much. I can't find the original but I can do a quick and dirty version right now. We'll assume these guys are level 3 for now.

Let's say we have a Champion with a greatsword. Now, this setup already favors the Champion quite a bit because his bonus damage dice are determined by weapon instead of class features or level. Assuming you'll take the logical weapon style to go with that, your bonus damage on a crit is 7.8333~. We'll just call it 8 instead for sanity's sake (and once again favor the Champion). We'll also disregard wasted crits - once again stacking the deck in such a way as to make the Champion look better than it really is.

Now, what does it actually mean to crit on a 19-20? It means that when you attack there is a 1-in-20 chance that you'll hit with an extra +8 damage. That's not really fantastic. Assuming you have a 50-50 chance to hit with an attack, this means that:
50%: You miss, as usual.
40%: You hit and do normal damage, as usual.
5%: You crit! Oh frabjous day, you hit with an extra +8 damage! Whoo!
5%: You crit, but it was a natural 20 so you would've done that anyway.

If this guy attacks 20 times in a row, rolling each number on the d20 exactly once, then over the course of these attacks his class feature has earned him +8 damage. If you had given him a simple +1 damage bonus instead he would've gotten +10 damage. That's right, critting on 19-20 is worth even less than the lowest possible damage bonus you can give. And this is with the most powerful weapon we could've picked, to make the Champion look good.

Now, how does the Battlemaster do? Even at this very low level he's got 4d8 bonus damage. Which he can control so they're never wasted on near-dead enemies. Plus they come with extra benefits, like knocking people prone and poo poo. So inherently the Battlemaster has some nice advantages. Now, 4d8 translates to 18 damage per rest-period. For the Champion to do more, he needs to roll a 19 three times during a rest period (and again, this is with the very lowest dice the Battlemaster can have). So about 60 attacks then. That's a lot of combat.

Oh, and when the Battlemaster does crit he can choose to spend a die and have it doubled. So while the Champion is fishing for 19s to do +2d6 damage, the Battlemaster is fishing for 20s to do +2d8 damage up to four times per rest period.

At higher levels the Champion's numerous attacks and expanded 18-20 crit rate make him somewhat better, but by then the Battlemaster has like 6d12 or something. Plus never wasted on near-dead opponents. Plus extra rider effects. The Champion is just not very good. It's ironic that the Champion is the one martial that crits the most often... and also has the least use for critical hits. Battlemaster dice, sneak attack dice, Barbarian crit-dice, Paladin smites, they all benefit from crits. Only the Monk is off worse but, you know, Monks.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
My $0.02: when I DM I let my players pick the race and class they want and see it as my job to make sure they have fun. But I run a more RP and less hack and slash game, so non combat skills are just as important as optimized damage. The DM I am playing with (apart from not telling one player to stfu) has been really good about this too, so my human rogue has been very busy. Underworld contacts and thieves' can't have both been used a lot to progress the story.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Boing posted:

Try this one: I used handle animal and backstory to train alley cats and stray mutts and a bag of rats to use help and flank for me from level 1. Then I went human and took Sentinel to double the pain if an enemy tried to (easily) kill them. Pretty sure that's why Urchins start with a pet mouse.

Masiakasaurus posted:

Champs are also screwed harder by bad circumstances: if you're fighting something that's handing out disadvantage to attack rolls, the champ is really unlikely to crit no matter their crit range until they break that effect. Meanwhile the BM has options to play around it, they can use Commander's Strike on someone who isn't affected, or try to cancel out the DA with Feinting or Trip Attack without losing damage by having to Shove, if they can even reach the thing. If it's just one hit away from death and damage doesn't really matter there's Precision Attack, too.

Same deal if the Champ isn't allowed to use a big weapon. In fist fight on top of Metal Gear, the Champ crits do no extra damage. They have to get a probably crappy improvised weapon somehow or take a feat for alcoholics for their class feature to do anything. Meanwhile the BM can do that too, but even if they don't they're outdamaging the Champ (and the monk, actually) until they run out of SD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

slydingdoor posted:

Try this one: I used handle animal and backstory to train alley cats and stray mutts and a bag of rats to use help and flank for me from level 1. Then I went human and took Sentinel to double the pain if an enemy tried to (easily) kill them. Pretty sure that's why Urchins start with a pet mouse.

The bag of rats rides again! It really is 3rd Edition's greatest hits!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There are times I feel the battlemaster abilities should be made part of the base fighter class and then you get either the champion or eldrich knight features as your specialization.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

There are times I feel the battlemaster abilities should be made part of the base fighter class and then you get either the champion or eldrich knight features as your specialization.

The Champion shouldn't exist because the features are horrible and boring. Like, I don't mind playing characters with passive benefits who don't really do much aside from Basic Attack (some of my favorite 4e stuff was from Essentials), but only if they're actually good.

It comes up every so often in this thread but seriously, go track down the Playtest fighter and see how much better it was before they gutted it's features and distributed them to the Barbarian, Paladin, and Monk. Oh, and battlemaster dice that recharged per turn or round instead of per hour.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I remember earlier playtest docs had versions of the fighter and rogue that were pretty good, and my friend did nothing but sing the praises of 5e's design. Then when the book came out he couldn't figure out why i kept saying the fighter sucked. Until I showed him the book and he got very very confused for the next hour.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's pretty much how it worked in the early Fighter playtests:

* Fighters started with a single d6 Expertise Die. This grew to a d8 by level 3, then two d8s by level 5
* All Expertise Dice would regenerate at the start of the Fighter's turn
* They knew two Combat Maneuvers at level 1: Deadly Strike and Parry
* Deadly Strike would let you roll the Expertise Die and add its result to your damage roll after a successful hit, and the die would be automatically maximized on a crit
* Parry would let you roll the Expertise Die and use its result to reduce a damage roll against you after you were hit
* On top of this, you would learn additional Combat Maneuvers as you leveled up: The Duelist could Tumble, Jab and Shift, the Protector could Protect, Push and Knock Down, the Sharpshooter could Precise Shot, Snap Shot and Shift, and the Slayer could Glancing Blow, Cleave and Jab. All of these would use the Expertise Dice in some way

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

This is what I remember from the playtest.

quote:

Defy Death
Once you reach 9th level, you can rally yourself
despite grievous injuries.
When you are reduced to 0 hit points but are
not killed outright, you can make a DC 15
Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you
are instead reduced to 1 hit point.

Indomitable
Beginning at 13th level, you have advantage on
all saving throws. A combination of cunning,
battle experience, and a dash of luck guard you
from harm.
Can't imagine why they would nerf that. What threw me is when they jacked up the damage on every spell and inflated monster hp right before release. Suddenly Wizards and Druids ruled the school again.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

This is what I remember from the playtest.

Can't imagine why they would nerf that.

I mean, both of those still exist on multiple classes. Defy Death just got a rising DC or 1/long rest clause on the ones who still have it.

But yea, immortal Fighter|Paladins were sort of an issue. Naturally the solution was to kneecap the fighter.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, Indomitable was just moved to level 17 and given to casters in the form of Foresight. Since you only get it at level 17, it got buffed up a tiny little bit.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

By the time I was in the playtest casters already had 4site. But something changed about it at the last second...

Playtest posted:

Foresight
9th-level divination
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 hour
You touch a willing creature and bestow a
limited ability to see into the immediate future.
For the duration, the target cannot be surprised
and has advantage on attack rolls, ability checks,
and saving throws. Additionally, other creatures
have disadvantage on attack rolls against the
target for the duration.
Material Components: A hummingbird
feather.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
WotC community forums being shut down on 10/29.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

By the time I was in the playtest casters already had 4site. But something changed about it at the last second...

One hour? Wow, what a joke of a 9th level spell. 6th level, maybe. Maybe!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I thought this was clickbait and they were just doing maintenance, but they're actually shutting it down and not replacing it with anything. Not that there was much worth saving, but :psyduck:

How hard up for cash are they that they can't afford to keep servers up?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's the whole shebang, mtg forums too. They're saying that forums are so ten years ago and aren't worth the hassle of running anymore.

But SA is still relevant right? Right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Splicer posted:

It's the whole shebang, mtg forums too. They're saying that forums are so ten years ago and aren't worth the hassle of running anymore.

Is it relevant to you?

Is it relevant enough to pay, say, a dollar a month to read and post here? Because ultimately that's where this is going.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Is that like the "get banned once a year" plan?

I remember the traffic boom shortly after 9/11 (and of course the chain of ripoffs with ad networks) that brought about the controversial :10bux: but I also think that went a long way to stabilize the forums from the "Every 10th person you meet is probably an rear end in a top hat" effect being multiplied by the size of the internet: a phenomenon that has caused so many other community-sites to collapse under their own popularity into a into a kingdom of hot garbage.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 16, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

One of many hives of scum and villainy. Will they have no more forums or will they relaunch?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Xelkelvos posted:

One of many hives of scum and villainy. Will they have no more forums or will they relaunch?

Implication is it's hosed for good.

Now I will have nothing to get my grognards.txt from.

Meh, it was cheating anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Implication is it's hosed for good.

Now I will have nothing to get my grognards.txt from.

Meh, it was cheating anyway.

There is always more. It is always worse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Could be worse.

They could be shooting for Gleemax 2.0.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Guess I'll go welcome WOTC forum-goers into the open arms of the SA Next thread.

:10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

knux911
Nov 21, 2012

Oh what?! I use that place for build advice and everything. It makes sense that the first place to talk D&D is on the D&D website.

This looks kinda bleak to me. I remember when 4e was rolling along and there was an article every other day or at least 2 times a week. The Dragon/Dungeon magazines every month with new stuff.
Paying the subscription was more than worth it for me as not only were there the tools to use, but constant updates, new stuff and advice articles. I still pay the sub as I'm really happy with 4e.

But now there's so little content and you can't even comment on the posts anymore. I don't even visit the main site now so if I wasn't reading this thread I wouldn't have found this out.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So little content like once a month there is an Unearthed Arcana article, that may or may not have any use whatsoever, and may or may not be made by WotC. Nothing else being put out is done by WotC, its all 3rd party, or maybe a nebulous 2nd party thing because there is at least some vague communication with WotC on some of it.

Almost no content has actually been put out, and it is all done by someone else. I don't know how they expect to make money like this. I really don't. I guess licensing. But yeah I used the forums a lot, and still go there to read what is going on, I don't know where I will go for that afterwards. This forum really only has the one thread, two if you go to the advice thread. ENWorld just seems so hostile, well maybe not to 5e but it seemed so hostile when I was playing 4e. I don't really post on any of the other forums and I don't think they are really organized that well for actually finding specific areas for topics. And where are you going to go for the guides?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The unearthed arcana articles are barely compatible with D&D5e. The new ranger for example seems like she's from a different game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So I am occasionally playing this game on Wednesdays and as long as I am playing a class the designers liked (bard, paladin, really any gish-type class) it is... OK. These types of classes have all the tactical options and can essentially play any style or several.

Splicer posted:

We were of course eclipsed by Reddit many years ago, but I find myself coming back to this forum because crowdsourced content is brutally repetitive and often dumb on any subject. That and most of the worst shitheads departed for Reddit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This is all but confirming for me that 5e will probably be the final WOTC edition of D&D unless that new movie does really drat well, with WOTC either keeping D&D buried for the foreseeable future or licensing/selling it to another company to produce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is probably going to come off as elitist, but the dndnext subreddit is so pedestrian. It's just people making lots and lots of homebrew.

There's probably some article waiting to be written about people who buy RPGs just to read and muse about them, and how that interacts with modern social media.

drrockso20 posted:

This is all but confirming for me that 5e will probably be the final WOTC edition of D&D unless that new movie does really drat well, with WOTC either keeping D&D buried for the foreseeable future or licensing/selling it to another company to produce

Hand it off to Chris Pramas and Green Ronin. Fantasy AGE is a fairly bog-standard d20-to-3d6 conversion, but it's incredibly newbie-friendly.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 17, 2015