Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The road rage singularity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice licence plate mount though.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I'm convinced that Munroe Motors exists purely on sales of motorcycles to people cashing in stock from Facebook and Google.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've heard people (on this very site) suggesting helmets make cycling less safe. Not for the ordinary idiotic reasons, but for a whole new class of them - that wearing a helmet makes people think biking is unsafe, so less people doing it, so there is less incentive for dedicated cycle infrastructure.
A little late, but unfortunately there is some affect on drivers when encountering cyclists wearing helmets. Some study showed that car drivers gave cyclists not wearing helmets a wider berth when passing, another one showed drivers also gave more room to women than men. Chivalry isn't dead!

The making people think biking unsafe one is hilarious, but also true because idiots. PEOPLE ARE PROTECTING THEMSELVES, I CANT HAVE MY PRECIOUS CHILD RIDING THOSE TWO WHEELED DEATH MACHINES.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Caught a girl texting while driving. Gave her a honk as I rode by and could see she didn't give a gently caress. If you see this car with this plate, be sure to discuss with her what was so goddamn important that she couldn't stop reading while driving.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Formic acid, I believe.

Some ants also produce butyric acid, so they smell like rancid butter or vomit when you smush them. :eng101:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

No. 6 posted:

Caught a girl texting while driving.

I see you also caught the sky being blue

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Gillingham posted:

A little late, but unfortunately there is some affect on drivers when encountering cyclists wearing helmets.
I wonder how much of this is down to the types of people who wear helmets.

The cyclists I see who know what the hell they're doing tend to be helmeted. The ones who wobble around and veer into my path randomly on their Budweiser beach cruisers tend not to wear helmets. I give the second class of cyclist a wide berth but it's down to their behavior and not their headwear.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gillingham posted:

The making people think biking unsafe one is hilarious, but also true because idiots. PEOPLE ARE PROTECTING THEMSELVES, I CANT HAVE MY PRECIOUS CHILD RIDING THOSE TWO WHEELED DEATH MACHINES.

I wonder how people have "bicycling is dangerous and I don't want to do it, you can tell because people try to protect themselves" and "of course I bought the SUV with the airbags and lane departure protection, driving is dangerous" in their heads at the same time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The genesis of the entire "bicycle" problem is that our infrastructure sucks. Between 12' lanes everywhere and suburban sprawl, there's no real sense of community in most of America because it's a 15 minute drive to go anywhere.

The purpose of the critical mass rides, even though there are rotten apples in the bunch, is to make it clear that people do want infrastructure upgrades.

Yeah, there are plenty of rear end in a top hat bicyclists; however, you never remember the vast majority of bicyclists who are following the flow of traffic and are on dedicated cycle paths.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

The genesis of the entire "bicycle" problem is that our infrastructure sucks. Between 12' lanes everywhere and suburban sprawl, there's no real sense of community in most of America because it's a 15 minute drive to go anywhere.

The purpose of the critical mass rides, even though there are rotten apples in the bunch, is to make it clear that people do want infrastructure upgrades.

Yeah, there are plenty of rear end in a top hat bicyclists; however, you never remember the vast majority of bicyclists who are following the flow of traffic and are on dedicated cycle paths.

One thing that's definitely and spectacularly changed over the last few years in London is that far fewer cyclists jump red lights - and I even see cyclists call out other cyclists when they do.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Phone posted:

I've seen one bike path in my entire life. Plenty of suicidal dudes in lycra blocking 45-60mph roads though

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

There are bike paths all over my town, which has been a big city initiative over the last 20 years, but it seems the more lycra the rider is wearing the less likely they are to use them. I have a picture somewhere of a bicycle backing up traffic on the street while a perfectly smooth and safe asphalt bike path lies 15 feet to his left.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One thing that's definitely and spectacularly changed over the last few years in London is that far fewer cyclists jump red lights - and I even see cyclists call out other cyclists when they do.

Whenever I did this in Portland I'd always get the finger from other bicyclist. gently caress those people, but gently caress the texters and rear end in a top hat drivers more.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Gorson posted:

There are bike paths all over my town, which has been a big city initiative over the last 20 years, but it seems the more lycra the rider is wearing the less likely they are to use them. I have a picture somewhere of a bicycle backing up traffic on the street while a perfectly smooth and safe asphalt bike path lies 15 feet to his left.
There's a great "bike path" in LA between Santa Monica and Venice, unfortunately it ends up covered in pedestrians and people wobbling around on beach cruisers making it un-usable for actual riding during normal hours.
People in lycra don't tend to avoid nice separated paths for no reason, instead its quite likely it's simply unsafe to ride at the speed they do on those paths.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Things I hate the poo poo out of while riding: having to use the road incorrectly to avoid being killed by terrible rear end in a top hat drivers.

Specifically I nearly got killed this evening by some blinkered fuckass in a BMW jeep knockoff who thought it would be prudent to overtake me on the exit of a roundabout because (going straight across) I'd swung left to follow the lane around while he'd just cut straight across. (this is the roundabout in question. Even though it doesn't have dividing lines on it, the done thing if you're going south to north is to stay in the "outside" lane all the way around so that anyone else using the thing can tell what you're doing even if you're awful at using turn signals)

The only reason I didn't eat it was because I did my suicide check immediately before leaving the roundabout, saw this unbelievable oval office accelerating off the inside lane, and decided to hug the gutter rather than pull into the middle of the lane on exit as normal.

If I'd gone from the left lane out into the middle of the roundabout like this guy did, it wouldn't have happened, because he'd have remained directly behind me. Doing it properly means I drop into his peripheral vision and out of his ridiculously short short-term memory, so he sees a clear road and floors it. I don't want to use the road wrong to defend myself from people like this because I know I'll only get burned from a different angle, but I nearly hit the kerb as it was. Bastard was alongside me for a good few seconds in the exit, didn't even glance at me. I loving hate feeling like I can't do anything about this, and doubting whether I made the right call when I could feel in my gut, even before we got to the junction, that he was going to pull this poo poo :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Comedy solution: drop a cog, give it some welly, come round the roundabout doing about seven million miles an hour

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was laughin, me mate was laughing, loving funnay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Comedy solution: drop a cog, give it some welly, come round the roundabout doing about seven million miles an hour

I'll bet he dint like that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know what it is with people and roundabouts. The other day I had someone in an suv pull out, look over and see me already in the roundabout, and come to a COMPLETE STOP in panic. Their suv blocked the whole lane diagonally, and I had to do some tricky low speed maneuver into the gutter to avoid hitting them. Fortunately, I was alert and not speeding.

Sadly, if used properly, roundabouts are both efficient and fun.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

I loving hate feeling like I can't do anything about this, and doubting whether I made the right call when I could feel in my gut, even before we got to the junction, that he was going to pull this poo poo :(

Good news! You most certainly can do something about this sort of thing: listen to your gut. That feeling you had was your cue to distance yourself from the dipshit so you didn't put yourself in this kind of situation. So while yes, you kind of failed yourself in this case, it turned out ok and it's a good opportunity for learning.

The instructor on one of the mandatory days we have to do here for our various licensing stages gave us a good tip, along these lines: whenever you have a sarcastic thought about another road user, get away from them.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
Alright class, welcome to Diggie's driving school.

Please direct your attention to diagram A. In this diagram, you can see how to make a left turn from two turn lanes onto a three lane road.

In diagram B, you will see how to make a left turn from a single turn lane onto a two lane road.

Stay in your lane. It's not difficult. Class dismissed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You'd be surprised how many people can't or won't do that. I've posed before on how one intersection here goes from the easiest turn in your life to potential death race 2000 because everyone wants to turn into the middle loving lane.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

You'd be surprised how many people can't or won't do that. I've posed before on how one intersection here goes from the easiest turn in your life to potential death race 2000 because everyone wants to turn into the middle loving lane.

If I'm in my car, I go anyway. That third lane is for people turning right or people going straight from the other side of the intersection. If they hit me, it's on them and I just hope they have good insurance. If I'm on my bike, I sit and wait because it ain't worth getting hurt because an rear end in a top hat in their big fuckoff SUV (It's always a goddamn SUV) can't fathom how to stay in one lane during a turn.

100% of SUV drivers, particularly the luxury SUV's, are awful. Put your phone down, get the Chihuahua off your lap, and focus on the road and your surroundings.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 15, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Confounds people to no end.
The left turn only lane people turn wide into the other lane 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time people heading northbound turn left across both lanes. Add to this that you have people leaving JPL and a high school using that cross-walk where if there's people backed up on the left turn only lane, people moving into the straight and turn lane then hit pedestrians regularly its great!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Diggie posted:

100% of SUV drivers, particularly the luxury SUV's, are awful. Put your phone down, get the Chihuahua off your lap, and focus on the road and your surroundings.

Since maritime rules apply, and what you've just described is a vessel not under command, they clearly have top priority here.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Since maritime rules apply, and what you've just described is a vessel not under command, they clearly have top priority here.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Caught a girl texting while driving. Gave her a honk as I rode by and could see she didn't give a gently caress. If you see this car with this plate, be sure to discuss with her what was so goddamn important that she couldn't stop reading while driving.

I pull up beside them and tap on their window. They freak out, put the phone away, and frighten up. Is this CA approved?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Things I hate the poo poo out of while riding: having to use the road incorrectly to avoid being killed by terrible rear end in a top hat drivers.

Specifically I nearly got killed this evening by some blinkered fuckass in a BMW jeep knockoff who thought it would be prudent to overtake me on the exit of a roundabout because (going straight across) I'd swung left to follow the lane around while he'd just cut straight across. (this is the roundabout in question. Even though it doesn't have dividing lines on it, the done thing if you're going south to north is to stay in the "outside" lane all the way around so that anyone else using the thing can tell what you're doing even if you're awful at using turn signals)

The only reason I didn't eat it was because I did my suicide check immediately before leaving the roundabout, saw this unbelievable oval office accelerating off the inside lane, and decided to hug the gutter rather than pull into the middle of the lane on exit as normal.

If I'd gone from the left lane out into the middle of the roundabout like this guy did, it wouldn't have happened, because he'd have remained directly behind me. Doing it properly means I drop into his peripheral vision and out of his ridiculously short short-term memory, so he sees a clear road and floors it. I don't want to use the road wrong to defend myself from people like this because I know I'll only get burned from a different angle, but I nearly hit the kerb as it was. Bastard was alongside me for a good few seconds in the exit, didn't even glance at me. I loving hate feeling like I can't do anything about this, and doubting whether I made the right call when I could feel in my gut, even before we got to the junction, that he was going to pull this poo poo :(

I had a lady almost nail me going backwards through a roundabout. To make it worse, she entered the roundabout AFTER I became visible to her.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My intermittent bog issue came back with a vengence on monday, and I took it to a mechanic who sent me away to troubleshoot it more, plus spent all week fretting about it. Today I spent all afternoon;

-Pulling and photographing the plugs (they were fine)
-checking carb and fuel hoses for leaks
-testing the battery
-following and checking wires for poor connection
-lots of research
-replacing the other ignition coil (Can't hurt, while I'm in here!)
-checking the tank breath valve for blockage that could cause vacuum and starve carbs
-jerky test rides where the problem got worse and worse
-more research

Of course, it couldn't be out of gas. My trip meter shows I have over half a tank! Can't be that!

I was out of gas. I vaguely remember thinking I had filled up when I was stranded for the clutch switch failure last friday (I didn't), and clearing it on my way home thinking "oh man, i forgot to clear it, good thing im only 10 miles away!". In my defense, I was mentally exhausted from riding all day, then trying to figure out the source of the bike not wanting to start. Then I spent all weekend at work, which is physically and mentally draining, and by monday I had forgotten all about anything related to the trip meter.

I'm so far beyond feeling dumb, I'm just completely mindfucked. Go me. :downsgun:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

My intermittent bog issue came back with a vengence on monday, and I took it to a mechanic who sent me away to troubleshoot it more, plus spent all week fretting about it. Today I spent all afternoon;

-Pulling and photographing the plugs (they were fine)
-checking carb and fuel hoses for leaks
-testing the battery
-following and checking wires for poor connection
-lots of research
-replacing the other ignition coil (Can't hurt, while I'm in here!)
-checking the tank breath valve for blockage that could cause vacuum and starve carbs
-jerky test rides where the problem got worse and worse
-more research

Of course, it couldn't be out of gas. My trip meter shows I have over half a tank! Can't be that!

I was out of gas. I vaguely remember thinking I had filled up when I was stranded for the clutch switch failure last friday (I didn't), and clearing it on my way home thinking "oh man, i forgot to clear it, good thing im only 10 miles away!". In my defense, I was mentally exhausted from riding all day, then trying to figure out the source of the bike not wanting to start. Then I spent all weekend at work, which is physically and mentally draining, and by monday I had forgotten all about anything related to the trip meter.

I'm so far beyond feeling dumb, I'm just completely mindfucked. Go me. :downsgun:

Sure, you're an idiot but on the other hand congrats on not having a bike that's hosed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Sure, you're an idiot but on the other hand congrats on not having a bike that's hosed.

Congratulating him after that is like a participation award.

Congrats you're still alive because nothing fell on you or something when you were walking to the shops.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If he had a Buell, that would be legit praise

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only thing wrong with my bike is me, apparently. But it's an issue that keeps coming back, every day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

If he had a Buell, that would be legit praise

Absolutely. Buells are more of a cross you bear than an object you own.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm so used to people spelling "bear" wrong that for a second I had trouble parsing your post :byobear:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm so used to people spelling "bear" wrong that for a second I had trouble parsing your post :byobear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APdDdpe-eE

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Which one of you is this:
https://www.facebook.com/districtspeedfans/videos/984590754924817/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nobody on this forum is as cool as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks about my size.