Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, the Celebrity's E11 is a great power, and I thought I had mentioned that in my write-up, but looks like I didn't.

I am surprised that someone likes mass marking opponents out of reach enough that they're willing to blow themselves up to do it (less risky if you have evasion and cover, but you can still hit yourself on a 20). Especially on a fighter, because using Yerasol Veteran's theme power means you're not attacking that turn and thus can't mark targets unless you've got a move or minor that will do it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone that cares, Heroes of the Fallen Lands has now also been released on DnDClassics / DTRPG. This completes the core of the Essentials line.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is it safe to say that Wizards has lived past its age? There's no big names there any more, no big ideas outside of the eternal money machine that is MtG. And now that the RPG business has evolved back into something more auteur driven, more independent, I can't see D&D having much of a future except as a famous IP to hold on to.

Edit Especially since the days of having to buy splat books in order to get decent content died with the internet.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I see WotC continues it's practice of being maybe the worst and dumbest "nerd" company when it comes to trying to interact with the internet.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is it safe to say that Wizards has lived past its age? There's no big names there any more, no big ideas outside of the eternal money machine that is MtG. And now that the RPG business has evolved back into something more auteur driven, more independent, I can't see D&D having much of a future except as a famous IP to hold on to.

Edit Especially since the days of having to buy splat books in order to get decent content died with the internet.

MtG still makes an absurd amount of money. Wizards hasn't lived past it's age - it's just historically been garbage with the internet, and all it's non-Magic properties may as well not exist.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dwarf74 posted:

If you guys want any of the WotC 4e charop guides, better act fast.

Anyone capable enough with Web poo poo able to scrape those guides?

This irritates me mostly for exactly this reason - the CharOp guides are about the only worthwhile thing left on those forums. I hope to goodness someone manages to wikify them off-site, because I honestly find 4e too difficult to do character creation for without them.

Not that I'm likely to be playing 4e much if at all any more now that we finished Epic LFR and no-one's willing to run anymore D:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda fondly remember the 1001 Mournlands Encounters thread. There were a few gems in there amongst the :what: and the :wtc:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ProfessorCirno posted:

I see WotC continues it's practice of being maybe the worst and dumbest "nerd" company when it comes to trying to interact with the internet.

I see you have never heard of Games Workshop :vomarine:

ProfessorCirno posted:

MtG still makes an absurd amount of money. Wizards hasn't lived past it's age - it's just historically been garbage with the internet, and all it's non-Magic properties may as well not exist.

Yeah, this is likely a direct result of MtG eclipsing every other WotC brand. No one I know in the local MtG community ever used the official forums. Most of them used one or several of the highly trafficked alternatives: Channel Fireball, Reddit, MTG Salvation, SCG, etc. They certainly weren't going to keep the forums open for what is a comparatively tiny D&D community.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ojetor posted:

Yes, note for example how each Essentials paperback-to-pdf is going for $9.99, an economical price that will probably go down during a sales event. Warhams PDFs are sold at the absurdly high MSRP for the physical copies, or maybe even a little higher. To name one of about 100 things that Warhammer is worse at than pretty much any similar company you could think of.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

See also, Warhams shut down their forums like 8 years ago, their blogs 2 or 3 years ago, and have since been actively purging facebook pages etc.

WotC seem to be going down the same path in all respects EXCEPT MTG.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hell, as many problems as 5e has, there was at least some cursory attempt to kind of balance the game sorta.

With their newest game GW actively made no attempt at game balance and is asking the players to work it out on their own. In a competitive non-RPG.

The forum closure is really just the latest in Wizards' long history of not having any idea how to handle the Internet. This is a forum where if you go a sub forum or thread and decide "I'd like to chime in" and log in, you are then directed not to the page you left or even the forum front page but the entirely useless "community" page.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm honestly surprised the forums lasted this long, considering how netphobic WotC has always been and that, well, the MtG community has always preferred other websites. It is a shame but at least they had the decency to give people a month to save all the content.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

GimmickMan posted:

I'm honestly surprised the forums lasted this long, considering how netphobic WotC has always been and that, well, the MtG community has always preferred other websites. It is a shame but at least they had the decency to give people a month to save all the content.

At the same time, outright just wiping it clean with no archiving done at all is kinda hilariously extreme.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ojetor posted:

Don't tell Cirno about GW, it'll probably give him a heart attack.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Games Workshop is sincerely on a whole different level from everything else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Games Workshop is sincerely on a whole different level from everything else.
It's the Donald Trump of game companies.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

At the same time, outright just wiping it clean with no archiving done at all is kinda hilariously extreme.

It is, I just... Well, I almost expected worse of them, honestly. Dailymtg is probably the exception that proves the rule in how they're terrible with all their online content.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Well, this is going to loving suck.

Guess tomorrow's going to be dedicated to saving hard copies of every handbook I'll ever need, which is all of them.

In related news, the CBLoader wiki is dead too. Anyone have any contact with/able to get a hold of the organizers for an export? That's the only documentation there was for it, and I've felt its loss keenly when trying to work on an organization partfile.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
In all honesty it's the complete lack of archiving that's the most surprising. Literally years of talking about settings and mechanics are going to be completely wiped clean. Like yeah losing the handbooks would suck, but for me it sucks way worse that you're losing every discussion that's been had there. I got a lot more from reading up on people talking shop about fighters then I got from the actual fighter's handbook.

The funny thing is, I give good odds this has literally nothing to do with D&D; WotC finally came to the realization that nobody talks Magic on their forums, so they're just getting rid of them, and D&D is the weird casualty.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There is probably nobody left at wotc who actually gives enough of a gently caress about dnd to defend the forums.

They're right about the magic forums though, short of a brief burst of activity around the time of Alesha Who Smiles At Heteronormality the forums have been a ghost town.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is anyone here going to save copies of the CharOP guides to somewhere, or will we have to rely on the wayback machine? Are they even no the wayback machine?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As I understand some are being put onto a lifeboat on ENWorld. The bigger loss is that there's been a lot of discussion on those forums, and a lot of classic builds that're gonna be lost.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

WilliamAnderson posted:

[/url]
Is anyone here going to save copies of the CharOP guides to somewhere, or will we have to rely on the wayback machine? Are they even no the wayback machine?

I saved all of the most current handbooks (plus the miscibility table) into This Zip a couple of days ago (download it, unpack it and the pages should open just fine in Chrome). I dunno if anyone else has done it but I decided to be proactive. Saving all of the discussion and specific build threads and stuff is way too much work for me, though.

Trill Sandwich
Sep 19, 2009
Hoo boy, I just scored 500 of the wizards star wars minis at a thrift store! A bunch seen suitable enough for our regular d&d campaign, but now I'm thinking about the possibility of also running either an edge of the empire campaign with them or setting up a game with 4e rules and a theme swap. Anybody ever seen any good spelljammer 4e mods or anything suitably sci-fi?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand some are being put onto a lifeboat on ENWorld. The bigger loss is that there's been a lot of discussion on those forums, and a lot of classic builds that're gonna be lost.

Yeah, I think the guides are the more IMPORTANT thing, but the loss of all the clever builds both broken and interesting is really a shame, and there are way too many of those to easily rescue.

Especially the things like Killswitch.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Rules query time!

Background: I'm trying to see if I can make a two-weapon berserker work. They'll have to stay away from Whirling Rend (and it won't get bonus damage unless they activate their daily) until they're ready to drop their aura, but it does give them some multi-target ability. The question I have is whether using a Spiked Shield (or a Fighting Shield once thy get the gold, and can retrain the Spiked Shield feat) would get the benefit from the Temperate Heartland.

"While you are wielding a one-handed weapon and using a shield, you gain a +2 bonus to the damage rolls of any weapon attack you make with that weapon."

Obviously the primary weapon gets the +2 to damage rolls, but would the shield also get them? (rationale: it is a one-handed weapon, and they are using a shield)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes it would, but don't do it, it won't work very well.

Use a Spiked Chain, go Arid Desert heartland, fluff your spiked chain as being two one-handed weapons. Arid Desert berserkers own, the other types are pretty meh.

E: on the spiked shield getting the damage bonus, unclear, I would argue not from a strict RAW point of view, but it won't actually make much of a balance difference, so in play I'd probably say 'go for it'.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 20, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Trill Sandwich posted:

Hoo boy, I just scored 500 of the wizards star wars minis at a thrift store! A bunch seen suitable enough for our regular d&d campaign, but now I'm thinking about the possibility of also running either an edge of the empire campaign with them or setting up a game with 4e rules and a theme swap. Anybody ever seen any good spelljammer 4e mods or anything suitably sci-fi?

I've found its really easy to convert older published adventures to 4e if you have the compendium. You can usually just take the encounters as written, adjust for level and go, sometimes having to also adjust for edition (instead of 1d10 Wolves, 5 wolf-like monsters re skinned to be a pack of wolves who performs a different task when hunting.)

That said, Planescape is and always will be the cooler psuedo-Sci-Fi setting then Spelljammer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Moriatti posted:

I've found its really easy to convert older published adventures to 4e if you have the compendium. You can usually just take the encounters as written, adjust for level and go, sometimes having to also adjust for edition (instead of 1d10 Wolves, 5 wolf-like monsters re skinned to be a pack of wolves who performs a different task when hunting.)

That said, Planescape is and always will be the cooler psuedo-Sci-Fi setting then Spelljammer.

Planescape is cooler and utterly inappropriate for any edition of D&D. It's all about the metaplot of hyper-powerful creatures and losing even more power when you visit other planes, completely at odds with the "let's go kill creatures and take their stuff" of the game it was printed for. It is cooler, though (not being sarcastic).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

homullus posted:

Planescape is cooler and utterly inappropriate for any edition of D&D. It's all about the metaplot of hyper-powerful creatures and losing even more power when you visit other planes, completely at odds with the "let's go kill creatures and take their stuff" of the game it was printed for. It is cooler, though (not being sarcastic).

I mean, you are not wrong but...

*makes wet fart noises with mouth while hitting you over the head with The Great Modron March*

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

homullus posted:

Everyone knows the right way to play Planescape is to use BESM and Fate and run it as a magical girl game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Everyone knows the right way to play Planescape is to use BESM and Fate and run it as a magical girl game.

I once found a conversion to Mage: the Ascension. Now there's a hack made in heaven.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm DMing my first 4e game this weekend after 3 years of DungeonWorld, FATE, SCION, Shadowrun, and 3.5e. I'm well versed in 4e Rules, have my little charts, and have a basic flow chart for my NPC's and who they are.

I heard 4e relies a LOT on magic items and stuff, I'm not seeing it, could someone help me out on what I should be reading that lays out that specific reliance?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
there is a very strict magic item progression worked into the assumptions made by the math, and also magic items all have fun effects that can be either just that or key for some builds. You can fix this by using Inherent Bonuses, which bakes the magic item numbers progression into the characters themselves and lets magic items just have their fun bonus effects and stuff without them being absolutely necessary

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

there is a very strict magic item progression worked into the assumptions made by the math, and also magic items all have fun effects that can be either just that or key for some builds. You can fix this by using Inherent Bonuses, which bakes the magic item numbers progression into the characters themselves and lets magic items just have their fun bonus effects and stuff without them being absolutely necessary

Do this. It makes things much more enjoyable.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So I'm DMing my first 4e game this weekend after 3 years of DungeonWorld, FATE, SCION, Shadowrun, and 3.5e. I'm well versed in 4e Rules, have my little charts, and have a basic flow chart for my NPC's and who they are.

I heard 4e relies a LOT on magic items and stuff, I'm not seeing it, could someone help me out on what I should be reading that lays out that specific reliance?

Explicitly: Monster base attack and defenses go up by 1 every level. Player base attack and defenses goes up by 1 every 2 levels. Without any other changes to their attack bonus player characters will fall behind and be unable to kill monsters of their own level.

By now the 4e system has all the little bonuses in place for player characters to keep up with monsters. One of those bonuses is the full set of magic items your players will get. One item for attack rolls, one item for AC, and one item for their other defenses. Those magic items need to be replaced every 5 levels for the players to keep up with the monsters.

Or you can use Inherent Bonuses instead of a magic item treadmill. Which you should.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey, so I trying to start up a 4th edition game and I'm trying to source some of the books I missed when I left the hobby. Can anyone tell me why the Essential Monster Vault is going for $90 used? :psyduck:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Can't you get a digital version for way cheaper?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBlandName posted:

Explicitly: Monster base attack and defenses go up by 1 every level. Player base attack and defenses goes up by 1 every 2 levels. Without any other changes to their attack bonus player characters will fall behind and be unable to kill monsters of their own level.

By now the 4e system has all the little bonuses in place for player characters to keep up with monsters. One of those bonuses is the full set of magic items your players will get. One item for attack rolls, one item for AC, and one item for their other defenses. Those magic items need to be replaced every 5 levels for the players to keep up with the monsters.

Or you can use Inherent Bonuses instead of a magic item treadmill. Which you should.

Yeah, so since we're all using the Character Builder, I went ahead and clicked that little button for everyone that says "Use Inherent Bonuses." When I give them magic items, should I remove the AC & Damage modifiers but keep the nifty stuff, or is it ok to RARELY give them magic items as is?

Another question, Is it ok to use other PC's as enemies? Right now in their campaign, they'll be contending with another adventuring group who will be levelling up with them, if at some point they fight is it ok to just use 5 PC sheets and make it a 5v5 brawl?

chaos rhames posted:

Yeah, like 10 - 15$ a piece on drive-thru rpg. THe reason the physical books are so expensive is because they're out of print. So now they're Collector's Items. Spergs go nuts for that poo poo.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 21, 2015

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

chaos rhames posted:

Trying to run a strictly books and paper game, all my players are 100% new to TT games and I want to ease them into things. I have MM3 but the Vault had a lot of the more standard monsters with the MM3 rebalance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, so since we're all using the Character Builder, I went ahead and clicked that little button for everyone that says "Use Inherent Bonuses." When I give them magic items, should I remove the AC & Damage modifiers but keep the nifty stuff, or is it ok to RARELY give them magic items as is?

Inherent Bonuses don't completely absolve you of giving the players magic items.

Without Inherent Bonuses, a 4-player party can be expected to earn 4 magic items (of varying item level) per character level, as well as a bunch of gold.
With Inherent Bonuses, that gets reduced to 1 magic item per character level, as well as a bunch of gold.

So characters will still get magic items on the regular, just not as many, and they can still fight effectively even if you forget or give them items that aren't so great (and can't be traded-in for whatever reason)

Refer to page 138 of the DMG2 to see exactly how the treasure parcels are changed.

Turtlicious posted:

Another question, Is it ok to use other PC's as enemies? Right now in their campaign, they'll be contending with another adventuring group who will be levelling up with them, if at some point they fight is it ok to just use 5 PC sheets and make it a 5v5 brawl?

No, that won't work well. Create enemies that have iconic abilities from the various character classes but you still have to assemble them as monsters.