Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

guys, the police just released a picture of the kid

so glad they busted him before he froze the school's time!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
An IRA device, obviously too small to be a real bomb:

Not a real bomb so nothing to worry about if you bring one to school:

Not a real gun, so no cause for concern if you bring one to school:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Some of these things were made by terrorists. Some look like weapons. How does these relate to a fourteen year-old and his class project? Who gives a gently caress!?! We are through the looking glass here people. Semper vigilis, nullus tolerenti!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Armyman25 posted:

Not a real gun, so no cause for concern if you bring one to school:

well, the inert products logo is a pretty good hint that it's not a real gun

also, these are available for JROTC training, so it seems like they're not only brought to school, but kept at school

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 17, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Please post more effortfully in this thread, or not at all.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

jfood posted:

Some of these things were made by terrorists. Some look like weapons. How does these relate to a fourteen year-old and his class project? Who gives a gently caress!?! We are through the looking glass here people. Semper vigilis, nullus tolerenti!

The device the kid brought to school looks similar enough to actual home made bombs that it could be cause for concern. Even bringing a non-functioning replica of a weapon, whether it's home made or manufactured, would be enough to cause enough to cause a reaction from school officials. The people saying that this timer with a wires and a circuit board doesn't look like a home made detonator haven't spent any time looking at what home made detonators are like. And using the idea that since he didn't have any actual explosive with the device then no one should have been alarmed is like saying a student bringing a gun and no bullets to school shouldn't expect a reaction.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Armyman25 posted:

The device the kid brought to school looks similar enough to actual home made bombs that it could be cause for concern. Even bringing a non-functioning replica of a weapon, whether it's home made or manufactured, would be enough to cause enough to cause a reaction from school officials. The people saying that this timer with a wires and a circuit board doesn't look like a home made detonator haven't spent any time looking at what home made detonators are like. And using the idea that since he didn't have any actual explosive with the device then no one should have been alarmed is like saying a student bringing a gun and no bullets to school shouldn't expect a reaction.

A gun is a weapon meant to kill people. A clock is not.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

It was reasonable for the school to ask him what it was. It was unreasonable to call the cops, have him arrested and suspended when he told them it was a clock and his teacher confirmed that it was, in fact, a clock.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Lotka Volterra posted:

Did you purposely gloss over this part of what he said:

Armyman25 posted:

The device the kid brought to school looks similar enough to actual home made bombs that it could be cause for concern.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Yes, you are correct, absolutely none of those things happened. Glad we could muddy up the waters and inject some fantasy into this real life incident.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The fact that there are multiple people in this thread saying it could be mistaken for a bomb means that it could, in fact, be mistaken for a bomb.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

Is a home made IED detonator meant to kill people? Yes, yes it is. Since what he made looks close enough to one, the school officials were justified in having a reaction to it.
The rubber duck replica I posted isn't meant to kill people, but it would provoke an even more extreme reaction than the clock that was mistaken for a fake bomb.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

See you in gitmo kid hahaha

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Cole posted:

Did you purposely gloss over this part of what he said:

From certain perspectives a cell phone or wallet looks like a gun, too.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Dude's who joined the military right out of high school have a hosed up world view and see the potential explosivity of everything?

Colour me shocked, man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

The fact that there are multiple people in this thread saying it could be mistaken for a bomb means that it could, in fact, be mistaken for a bomb.

No, it doesn't. I can say that I can mistake a cat for an elephant, but this is clearly laughable. You need more than "I say" to make such a statement credible.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Is a home made IED detonator meant to kill people? Yes, yes it is. Since what he made looks close enough to one, the school officials were justified in having a reaction to it.
The rubber duck replica I posted isn't meant to kill people, but it would provoke an even more extreme reaction than the clock that was mistaken for a fake bomb.

"What's that? A clock you build yourself? Awesome!" is a justified reaction, and it's almost certainly what their reaction would have been if it were a white kid.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

jfood posted:

Dude's who joined the military right out of high school have a hosed up world view and see the potential explosivity of everything?

Colour me shocked, man.

I joined the military shortly before I turned 22.

Do you think jumping to conclusions about people is a good idea? Because I can think of a very recent news story about jumping to conclusions about people that kinda shows that doing so isn't a very good thing to do.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
Would love to see some pictures of these homemade bombs whose main component is a huge LED display

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

No, it doesn't. I can say that I can mistake a cat for an elephant, but this is clearly laughable. You need more than "I say" to make such a statement credible.

Ok buddy.

The difference between this clock and a bomb is very comparable to elephants and cats.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

loving :lol: at you of all people trying to call someone out for not reading. There's a reason it says "associated with" rather than "caused by," and that the "Manner of Death" is listed as "Accident" rather than "Homicide." The sheriffs didn't kill her.

The passage directly above that is: "The decedent was in a state of profound agitation/psychosis during the extraction and the use of physical restraint with or without CED use is associated with sudden death. Excited delirium occurs in the setting of stimulant drug abuse, psychiatric disease, psychiatric drug withdrawal and metabolic disorders and is characterized by psychosis and agitation and is often associated with combativeness and elevated body temperature. (Emphasis added)" Way to completely ignore context.

(Also, holy poo poo, the pathologist's name is "Jocelyn Posthumus." Can't make this stuff up.)

Obviously the cops killed her. Like, even if it's a complete accident, the cops still literally killed her. You're trying to be pedantic about it but it's pretty clear that even if everyone accepted your version of events 100% and was in your mindset completely, the cops still did the thing that caused her to die. It may have been exacerbated or triggered or whatever blah blah blah but she wasn't about to drop dead in her cell. The cops killed her by trying to yank her out of the cell and strap her to a chair. I agree it was probably an accident. They still did it.

And you can die of bloodloss without being shot, it doesn't mean that if you get shot and bleed to death it has nothing to do with getting shot. I'm not ignoring context at all. At the very, very, very least, it's obvious the tasers didn't cause her to stop resisting, and if anything most likely made her resist more, which they physically stopped, which is what you're claiming was a factor in her death, as indicated by your bolding of that quote.

I know you're doing your bit where you're attempting to shut down the conversation by being pedantic and trying to bog down the conversation with stupid bullshit, and it's incredibly tiring.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ha. A cole in one!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

jfood posted:

Ha. A cole in one!

You didn't answer me.

Cole posted:

Do you think jumping to conclusions about people is a good idea? Because I can think of a very recent news story about jumping to conclusions about people that kinda shows that doing so isn't a very good thing to do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

Except at no point did any authority figure actually think it was a bomb. That's a huge difference between your hypothetical and the actual incident.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Ok buddy.

The difference between this clock and a bomb is very comparable to elephants and cats.

Then why wouldn't you make a substantive comparison, instead of a brain-dead one?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Then why wouldn't you make a substantive comparison, instead of a brain-dead one?

Ok.

What the kid brought to school could be compared to a bomb, especially to people who have no real experience with bombs outside of Hollywood.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Except at no point did any authority figure actually think it was a bomb. That's a huge difference between your hypothetical and the actual incident.

Exactly. It's amazing how people continue to get hung up on these weird, incorrect details like they mean anything at all. Some people on the internet think this thing looks maybe sort of like a bomb. Ok, how does that change the part where they cuffed the kid and interrogated him without letting him contact anyone?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

beejay posted:

Exactly. It's amazing how people continue to get hung up on these weird, incorrect details like they mean anything at all. Some people on the internet think this thing looks maybe sort of like a bomb. Ok, how does that change the part where they cuffed the kid and interrogated him without letting him contact anyone?

It's possible to think it could be mistaken for a possible bomb and still think it's wrong to handcuff a nonviolent 14 year old.

Shocking, I know.

To clarify, I'm not saying the teacher thought it was a bomb. I'm saying the teacher said it could be mistaken for one, which is a legitimate issue.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Ok.

What the kid brought to school could be compared to a bomb, especially to people who have no real experience with bombs outside of Hollywood.

Better. Now we can get to the part where this is of equivalent importance to the rest of the story.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Cole posted:

It's possible to think it could be mistaken for a possible bomb and still think it's wrong to handcuff a nonviolent 14 year old.

Shocking, I know.

To clarify, I'm not saying the teacher thought it was a bomb. I'm saying the teacher said it could be mistaken for one, which is a legitimate issue.

What exactly is the issue? What do you think they should have done to handle this issue?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

beejay posted:

What exactly is the issue? What do you think they should have done to handle this issue?

Figure out what it was. Tell the kid he's ahead of the engineering curve. Confiscating it should have been the most extreme thing done.

I'm not arguing for the way things happened. I have not once supported the way it went down. I'm saying I understand how someone could be concerned about the clock looking like a bomb.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think they should have gotten up to the same point of asking what it was if they were suspicious, seeing that it was a clock, looking it over, then confirming that it is, in fact, a clock, then given it back to Ahmed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

Obviously the cops killed her. Like, even if it's a complete accident, the cops still literally killed her. You're trying to be pedantic about it but it's pretty clear that even if everyone accepted your version of events 100% and was in your mindset completely, the cops still did the thing that caused her to die. It may have been exacerbated or triggered or whatever blah blah blah but she wasn't about to drop dead in her cell. The cops killed her by trying to yank her out of the cell and strap her to a chair. I agree it was probably an accident. They still did it.

And you can die of bloodloss without being shot, it doesn't mean that if you get shot and bleed to death it has nothing to do with getting shot. I'm not ignoring context at all. At the very, very, very least, it's obvious the tasers didn't cause her to stop resisting, and if anything most likely made her resist more, which they physically stopped, which is what you're claiming was a factor in her death, as indicated by your bolding of that quote.

I know you're doing your bit where you're attempting to shut down the conversation by being pedantic and trying to bog down the conversation with stupid bullshit, and it's incredibly tiring.
It wasn't the officers' actions that killed her though. If someone is running from the police and keels over from a heart attack due to over exertion, would you say that the police killed them? Same principle. I remember having this argument about the Amit Bornstein case: someone having a medical crisis when they're fighting or fleeing the police is not the same thing as the actions of the police causing their death.

It's not pedantry. It's impossible to have a conversation if people can't agree on basic concepts of culpability, to say nothing of what is or should be normal police practice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

If I took something that looked like that into the post office I'd expect to be arrested.

What, no. You should not expect to be arrested for bringing common electronics to the post office. I can order all of the parts Ahmed used to build his scary clock through the mail right now. You're telling me if I buy a digital display off Ebay, the seller should be arrested for shipping it to me?

I've brought scarier looking homebrew electronics complete with :supaburn:wires and :derp:displays to the airport and put them in my checked luggage without a problem, luckily security at the Austin and Las Vegas airports aren't as dumb as you or as the Irving police.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

What, no. You should not expect to be arrested for bringing common electronics to the post office. I can order all of the parts Ahmed used to build his scary clock through the mail right now. You're telling me if I buy a digital display off Ebay, the seller should be arrested for shipping it to me?

I've brought scarier looking homebrew electronics complete with :supaburn:wires and :derp:displays to the airport and put them in my checked luggage without a problem, luckily security at the Austin and Las Vegas airports aren't as dumb as you or as the Irving police.

That clock is a common electronic the same way a space shuttle is a common transportation tool.

And a better comparison would be taking that home brew stuff in your carry on.

I've put assault rifle magazines and knives in my checked luggage.

Cole fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 17, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cole posted:

That clock is a common electronic the same way a space shuttle is a common transportation tool.

It's super common hobbyist electronics, they sell all that poo poo at Radio Shack. Which notably does not stock Space Shuttles.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

You're quite lucky then.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/mit-student-arrested-logan-airport-fake-bomb-article-1.245992

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

It's super common hobbyist electronics, they sell all that poo poo at Radio Shack. Which notably does not stock Space Shuttles.

Would you take it in your carry on luggage? Because there is a fundamental difference between carry on and checked. Like I said, I've had magazines and knives in my checked luggage. But since I can check them, should I be able to take them to school?

If not, then your point about checked luggage doesn't hold water.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cole posted:

Would you take it in your carry on luggage? Because there is a fundamental difference between carry on and checked. Like I said, I've had magazines and knives in my checked luggage. But since I can check them, should I be able to take them to school?

I could have taken them in my carry-on if I'd wanted, they're not banned, like bombs are. Like what, you think they'd let me check bombs?

I checked it because it was an exhibit at an expo and I packed it in a box with padding that made it too bulky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's actually off the shelf from Wal-Mart, he just tore it apart to see how it worked, swapped out the display and rewired it all back up.

Two kids, two clocks and one Texas education system. Funny, that.

• Locked thread