Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fall posted:

Stupid question maybe, but how do you guys divide your time up between audiobooks and print/ebooks?

I'm allowed to wear headphones at work (because gently caress local radio in this city, forever), so I audiobook almost every day.
Book reading has dropped precipitously since buying a smartphone and an unlimited data plan; I just can't be arsed to use my Kindle, the Kindle app, or even real books anymore... which is kind of silly, given that I still have unread ebooks I paid money for. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I audiobook in the car and when doing chores (washing dishes, cleaning, yard work). Probably 15ish hours a week?

I read in bed, which can be 7-14 hours a week? Though I will go through long periods where I play a video game and then go to bed without reading.

At work I listen to music, I cannot follow the details of a book while concentrating on something else so the music is just to block out the rest of the world.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Fall posted:

Stupid question maybe, but how do you guys divide your time up between audiobooks and print/ebooks?

I haven't turned my kindle on in months. It is so convenient being able to do other things, while you "read" instead of just sitting/laying. Especially if the book has a good narrator.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
With my driving commute, grocery runs and things like that with a nice quality bluetooth (loving my backbeat fit) I probably clock a minimum of 7 hours a week, and usually play at +50% speed for most things I'm listening to. After every couple books I switch to some podcasts to catch up on current episodes, typically: The Bugle (such mixed emotions about them understandably not releasing as much), Star Talk (skipping a few), and Nerdist (skipping many, no great love for the host panel but they get some amazing guests so I cherry pick those).

I've found non fiction works far better than fiction for audio, so I reserve kindle and dead tree books for fiction pieces that I'd prefer to take at my own pace, particularly when the prose is complex or just very high quality. Kindle mostly gets used if I'm looking to kill some time while falling asleep, or on vacation somewhere and don't want to feel like a busybody with audiobooks. Actual book books pretty much only get used if I already owned them and can't justify re-purchasing an electronic version. Since I've always had a backlog accumulated over the years they occasionally get used, but it's like 1% as frequent compared to 6-8 years ago.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm new to Audio books. I don't think I'll be able to get into them unless I like the voice.
PYF Narrators, please.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm new to Audio books. I don't think I'll be able to get into them unless I like the voice.
PYF Narrators, please.

John Lee is quite good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SpaceAceJase posted:

PYF Narrators, please.

Luke Daniels

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SpaceAceJase posted:

PYF Narrators, please.

Scott Brick and Jonathan Keeble

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I really like Neil Gaiman as a narrator, though he only really narrates his own work.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I really like Neil Gaiman as a narrator, though he only really narrates his own work.

He is good, but one thing to be aware of is that he speaks with a very broad dynamic range. Sometimes that makes him hard to hear in a noisy environment and you might find yourself having to turn the volume up and down.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Scott Brick, Neil Gaiman, Luke Daniels, RC Bray

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Frank Muller RIP he was the one who got me into audiobooks. He has an amazing narration of Moby Dick and he did Stephen King books for a very long time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The narrator for John Dies at the End is absolutely pitch-perfect.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Justine Eyre, Grover Gardner, R. C. Bray, Scott Brick.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Simon Vance and William Dufris

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Simon Vance, Christian Rodska, Kate Reading and Nick Podehl are all solid. Michael Kramer too most of the time but he can be a bit monotone at times.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Steven Weber does a phenomenal job with IT.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

Callback to the very first post in this thread - Patrick Tull does an amazing job with the Aubrey/Maturin books. I'm not sure what else he's done, but he's great.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Zythrst posted:

Simon Vance and William Dufris

Seconded.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Can we get these "goon approved narrators" aggregated and edited into to the first post?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How about male narrators who can do or just ignore trying to do a female voice? I know it's not an easy thing, but God can that sometimes hurt a listen, and it's not really anyone's fault because I'm not sure how you work around it without two narrators (or a very talented voice actor).

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

armorer posted:

Can we get these "goon approved narrators" aggregated and edited into to the first post?

Then in comes a subtle shill, or three, and the list gets so clogged it becomes useless.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fall posted:

Then in comes a subtle shill, or three, and the list gets so clogged it becomes useless.

That is a risk, sure, but this is something that comes up over and over again. There are a few names that everyone seems to agree on as well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just wanted to add (since I haven't read the 41 page thread) that even if Audible says a book isn't eligible for refund on the website if you call them up they will refund it (and even multiple ones) right away (call takes about 90 to 120 seconds). I think each credit I use generally goes through two tries to find the right book...to join my appallingly huge backlist.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

armorer posted:

That is a risk, sure, but this is something that comes up over and over again. There are a few names that everyone seems to agree on as well.

Fair enough. I too am interested in what those names might be,

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

armorer posted:

List made of people posted so far, and locked to prevent shilling. Unless someone gets a whole ton of support and I'm paying attention.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Scott Sigler tends to narrate his own books. He sounds like he's having at least as much fun narrating many of his novels as they are to read. Most of his stuff is action and/or horror/thriller, with my favorite being his Galactic Football League series despite my not being a sports fan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SpaceAceJase posted:

PYF Narrators, please.

Quoting myself because I'm lazy. :q:

Mister Macys posted:

Here's a small sample of narrators I like:

Scott Brick - Michael Pollan, Mark Kurlanski, Orson Scott Card, Dune franchise, various baseball/finance/other books
Stefan Rudnicki - Orson Scott Card, erotica, a poo poo-ton of other books
James Marsters ("Spike" from Buffy) - Dresden Files novels
Steven Pacey - Joe Abercrombie books (this guy is loving incredible)
Christian Rodska - Churchill's histories of WWII/English Speaking Peoples
Michael Kramer - Brandon Sanderson novels

More:
Sean Runnette, Jesse Boggs, Coleen Marlo, Stephen Hoye, John H. Mayer, Kirby Heyborn, Paul Boehmer, Paul Thornley, Joe Barrett.

My recommendation is to start with books you like, then checking what else the authour/narrator has done, in a "Six Degrees of Seperation" kind of thing. And being able to mouse-over a title to check book blurbs is a God-send. Way faster than just browsing at a B&M. The wish list also makes a good "check back later/maybe column" when scrolling through entire genres just to see what exists. I don't recommend that unless you're terminally bored at your monitor, though. Thankfully, Audible has a lot of filters, be it price levels, abridged/unabridged, languages, length, sub-genre, etc.

Gonna add J. Rufus Fears from The Great Courses lectures. Absolutely amazing at his job.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 17, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Mister Macys posted:

Christian Rodska - Churchill's histories of WWII/English Speaking Peoples

Listening to Churchill's history of WWII after listening to the Powder Mage trilogy which Rodska also does was pretty trippy. I kept expecting Churchill to start talking about mages directing artillery barrages with MIND MAGIC and stuff. Sadly he didn't...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I think, when adding these narrators to any kind of a list, there should be some sort of description, like so:

Scott Brick: Silky voice as smooth as butter. If I were gay for a voice, it would be his. (The Quantum Thief)
Jonathan Keeble: Like sitting at a campfire listening to a grizzled battle veteran describe his tails of glory and loss. (The Saxon Stories)

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I'm posting to be the guy that thinks Scott Brick isn't really that great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zythrst posted:

Excellent reasoning. Sure to convince tons of people. :bravo:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Zythrst posted:

Nah, Scott Brick is definitely one of the best imo. The only real complaint I could have about him is that he does so many books and his voice is already so closely associated with certain series in my mind that it can make it hard getting used to hearing him narrate something completely different.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

savinhill posted:

Nah, Scott Brick is definitely one of the best imo. The only real complaint I could have about him is that he does so many books and his voice is already so closely associated with certain series in my mind that it can make it hard getting used to hearing him narrate something completely different.

He is, and will forever be, the Flower Prince to me.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think, when adding these narrators to any kind of a list, there should be some sort of description, like so:

Scott Brick: Silky voice as smooth as butter. If I were gay for a voice, it would be his. (The Quantum Thief)
Jonathan Keeble: Like sitting at a campfire listening to a grizzled battle veteran describe his tails of glory and loss. (The Saxon Stories)

Definitely recommend both these guys. Keeble did the audiobook for Jon Butterworth's Smashing Physics, and made it extremely entertaining, even though I am a dumb pleb with zero scientific knowledge.

I'd also add Jonathan Davis to the list. Guy is great at doing a variety of voices that don't sound stereotypical.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Johnathan Davis did a really nice job on Lords of the Sith.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

gfanikf posted:

Johnathan Davis did a really nice job on Lords of the Sith.

Oh yeah he does "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" and a couple other Sacks books, the books and his voice are a fantastic combo.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

He also does a great job with snow crash and with the female parts too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Looking for good horror/ghost story books to fall asleep to. I just went through Horrotstor and it was okay I guess. It's about a haunted Ikea knockoff in Ohio. But it was more of a lighthearted story I'm looking for spooooookier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Frank Muller forever. His reading of Moby Dick was so vivacious and dynamic it kept me glued the whole time.

And seconding Stefan Rudnicki. I have Legacy of Ashes and The Bloody White Baron as read by him, and he has the perfect voice for history books.