Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

What is Realms of Cthulhu?

Savage Worlds Cthulhu setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Serf posted:

I mean one basement is bad enough but once you start digging lower than that you've basically hit Hell or that place where balrogs come from.

Now I'm reminded of something I want to use in a game sometime: basically inverting the DUG TOO GREEDILY AND TOO DEEP trope. Instead of dwarves mining too far and finding hell, the demons/devils expanded too high and found dwarves. Now, the circle of llife/death/afterlife is being disrupted as the dwarves push into Hell and claim its resources for their own.

I'd likely have PCs tasked with finding a way to fix the now hosed up cosmic balance.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

Now I'm reminded of something I want to use in a game sometime: basically inverting the DUG TOO GREEDILY AND TOO DEEP trope. Instead of dwarves mining too far and finding hell, the demons/devils expanded too high and found dwarves. Now, the circle of llife/death/afterlife is being disrupted as the dwarves push into Hell and claim its resources for their own.

I'd likely have PCs tasked with finding a way to fix the now hosed up cosmic balance.

Fix it? No, see, this is the part where you go on a grand adventure to blow up Asmodeus/Orcus/etc. and retire into the new business of transporting the condemned right back upstairs to the regular world. Sell Hell Insurance to those of low moral character, ensuring that upon finding themselves in Hell, you'll be there to get them back on their feet and on an elevator back to the surface. Exploiting the cosmic cycle of death and rebirth for fun and profit seems like a proper dwarfy thing to do!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hell Police. The Elevator beat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Esser-Z posted:

There's a board game based on exactly that premise except it's the knights templar instead of dwarves.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Len posted:

What would be the best system for running a horror themed King of the Hill game? I had a vision yesterday of Hank Hill and pals squaring off against Lovecraftian horrors and I haven't been able to shake it.

The people of Arlen are worshipping a false prophet (Donald Trump) who promises to preserve their dying way of life against the inevitable forces of change by wreaking violence against the malignant subhumans (Mexicans) who are crawling out of the river to take the place of townspeople and replace traditional American culture with their own disturbing foreign rituals (tacos, soccer).

There you go, a scenario Lovecraft would heartily approve of. No need to thank me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jimbozig posted:

The people of Arlen are worshipping a false prophet (Donald Trump) who promises to preserve their dying way of life against the inevitable forces of change by wreaking violence against the malignant subhumans (Mexicans) who are crawling out of the river to take the place of townspeople and replace traditional American culture with their own disturbing foreign rituals (tacos, soccer).

There you go, a scenario Lovecraft would heartily approve of. No need to thank me.

Considering how much of a raging racist and xenophobe Lovecraft was...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

Fix it? No, see, this is the part where you go on a grand adventure to blow up Asmodeus/Orcus/etc. and retire into the new business of transporting the condemned right back upstairs to the regular world. Sell Hell Insurance to those of low moral character, ensuring that upon finding themselves in Hell, you'll be there to get them back on their feet and on an elevator back to the surface. Exploiting the cosmic cycle of death and rebirth for fun and profit seems like a proper dwarfy thing to do!

If you're too virtuous, you go to Heaven. Which is all well and good, but what if you want to keep living? Well, you need to be a SINNER! You need to prepare yourself to BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL! Of course, the firebrand preacher isn't giving you a warning, he's selling you Hell Insurance, ensuring you're at the top of the queue for reincarnation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo. WotC is closing their forums.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/wizards-coast-community-forums-be-shut-down-2015-09-16

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now people can go places where they can have a real discussion! Like their Facebook page!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Did the D&D forums live in the same system as the wider WotC stuff? I could swear they had some major turnover before. Was the Magic forum very active? I never visited it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now people can go places where they can have a real discussion! Like their Facebook page!

But where will I go to discuss character optimization and whether shrouds disappear before or after the attack that invokes them?

God drat, weren't they all uppity during the Next playtest about people not using the appropriate forum for feedback? Now there isn't one.

e:

Plague of Hats posted:

Did the D&D forums live in the same system as the wider WotC stuff? I could swear they had some major turnover before. Was the Magic forum very active? I never visited it.
There was a change in the forum's code that broke many links to charop guides around the release of 5e.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Closing? It's more like nuking it from orbit, they're not even archiving content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Walker posted:

But where will I go to discuss character optimization and whether shrouds disappear before or after the attack that invokes them?

Easy, play 5e where there's barely any charOp to be had!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

gradenko_2000 posted:

You joke but there's apparently an Unearthed Arcana series for 5e, including such gems as the swashbuckler rogue archetype, which at 3rd level can Sneak Attack enemies that aren't being flanked by an ally, adds Cha-mod to initiative, and doesn't provoke OAs from enemies when moving away after attacking them. Beats the hell out of the lovely thief and assassin archetypes in the PHB, and goes a long ways towards almost making the 5e rogue dangerous in combat!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D Next: Where the everything happens at character creation, and the subsequent choices don't matter!

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Kwyndig posted:

Closing? It's more like nuking it from orbit, they're not even archiving content.

Aw man, I really enjoyed all the 4e information and guides that were still on there too.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
On a vaguely related tangent: Happy Birthday, D&D cartoon, you were kind of terrible and Eric was actually right most of the time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

unseenlibrarian posted:

On a vaguely related tangent: Happy Birthday, D&D cartoon, you were kind of terrible and Eric was actually right most of the time.

Required reading on that very subject.

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons was a series about six kids who were transported to a dimension filled with wizards and fire-snorting reptiles and cryptic clues and an extremely-evil despot named Venger. The youngsters were trapped in this game-like environment but, fortunately, they were armed with magical skills and weaponry, the better to foil Venger's insidious plans each week.

The kids were all heroic — all but a semi-heroic member of their troupe named Eric. Eric was a whiner, a complainer, a guy who didn't like to go along with whatever the others wanted to do. Usually, he would grudgingly agree to participate, and it would always turn out well, and Eric would be glad he joined in. He was the one thing I really didn't like about the show.

So why, you may wonder, did I leave him in there? Answer: I had to.

As you may know, there are those out there who attempt to influence the content of childrens' television. We call them "parents groups," although many are not comprised of parents, or at least not of folks whose primary interest is as parents. Study them and you'll find a wide array of agendum at work…and I suspect that, in some cases, their stated goals are far from their real goals.

Nevertheless, they all seek to make kidvid more enriching and redeeming, at least by their definitions, and at the time, they had enough clout to cause the networks to yield. Consultants were brought in and we, the folks who were writing cartoons, were ordered to include certain "pro-social" morals in our shows. At the time, the dominant "pro-social" moral was as follows: The group is always right…the complainer is always wrong.

This was the message of way too many eighties' cartoon shows. If all your friends want to go get pizza and you want a burger, you should bow to the will of the majority and go get pizza with them. There was even a show for one season on CBS called The Get-Along Gang, which was dedicated unabashedly to this principle. Each week, whichever member of the gang didn't get along with the gang learned the error of his or her ways.

We were forced to insert this "lesson" in D & D, which is why Eric was always saying, "I don't want to do that" and paying for his social recalcitrance. I thought it was forced and repetitive, but I especially objected to the lesson. I don't believe you should always go along with the group. What about thinking for yourself? What about developing your own personality and viewpoint? What about doing things because you decide they're the right thing to do, not because the majority ruled and you got outvoted?

We weren't allowed to teach any of that. We had to teach kids to join gangs. And then to do whatever the rest of the gang wanted to do.

What a stupid thing to teach children.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

That's pretty hosed up. Conformity as a moral is pretty hosed up.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sounds an awful lot like communism to me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

American public school.txt

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh wow, I thought that kid was supposed to be the embodiment of "that guy" y'know the one who you hang out with but all he ever does is whine and just be generally very contrarian? It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I remember thinking "yeah, I know a couple dudes just like this guy" and thinking it was stunningly accurate.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

It totally works for a lot of places.

Dissenting opinions just give other people a compelling reason to want to gently caress with you, IMO.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 18, 2015

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Conformity is the spice of life.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Really though, the idea that Eric the Cavalier can just say whatever he likes without any risk of ostracism, derision, or verbal abuse from the rest of his adventuring party is dangerously right-wing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Guys, this is super boring, you all can summon fire and magic wolves and all I can do is swing my sword, and half the time I don't even get to do that because you solve all the problems with one spell."
"Shut up, Eric, it's called verisimilitude."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Really though, the idea that Eric the Cavalier can just say whatever he likes without any risk of ostracism, derision, or verbal abuse from the rest of his adventuring party is dangerously right-wing.

Oh my god, shut up, you're trash.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Oh wow, I thought that kid was supposed to be the embodiment of "that guy" y'know the one who you hang out with but all he ever does is whine and just be generally very contrarian? It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I remember thinking "yeah, I know a couple dudes just like this guy" and thinking it was stunningly accurate.

Right! I never watched this cartoon, but just reading the second paragraph of that quote you'd think they were describing the stereotypical D&D player that doesn't want to go with the rest of the party because reasons and has to be strongarmed into participating in the quest.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Oh my god, shut up, you're trash.

*nods* Yeah, like that! :haw:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right! I never watched this cartoon, but just reading the second paragraph of that quote you'd think they were describing the stereotypical D&D player that doesn't want to go with the rest of the party because reasons and has to be strongarmed into participating in the quest.

Maybe the "parents group" was Gygax himself :v:

Seriously, though, that poo poo was all over the place in cartoons back in the day. It's not unique to the D&D cartoon, it just gets remembered a lot because Eric was (as a character) more memorable than the usual batch of "I don't wanna" whiners. Probably because 99% of the time he had a point about not doing whatever stupid thing they were going to do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So is this the right thread to say that I ran a pick-up game today with a goon group and minimum prep, and it was perfect in every way? It's been years since I last did a game, but this was great fun, and it was really rewarding that everyone had a good time. :shobon:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

Maybe the "parents group" was Gygax himself :v:

Seriously, though, that poo poo was all over the place in cartoons back in the day. It's not unique to the D&D cartoon, it just gets remembered a lot because Eric was (as a character) more memorable than the usual batch of "I don't wanna" whiners. Probably because 99% of the time he had a point about not doing whatever stupid thing they were going to do.

See also Wheeler from Captain Planet, who was probably the second worst offender in that regard after Eric(at least most other cartoons of that era mixed it up a little with who was the designated Wrong Person in each episode)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
To put it bluntly, conformity is just good social skills. Conformity with what doesn't really matter, just going along with whatever group you roll with believes or says is a safe plan. Whining and moaning constantly over whatever everyone around you agrees with just causes more problems, and it won't convince anyone. If Eric bitches constantly then he should not be surprised if he gets shat on, either by the Dungeon Master or the rest of his friends.

Just because Eric can, physically, say whatever he likes doesn't mean that it won't cause problems for him. It's a good lesson to teach kids, because it's true.

gradenko_2000 posted:

More or less, everyone in the show was whisked off to a fantasy world at random. So being a little pissed off is understandable, but if this were happening in someone's game, Eric's player would be kicked out of the game, and if this was something that happened to actual people, the Eric of the group would've probably been murdered or something.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The thing was, the D&D cartoon tended to make Eric -right-. Most of the time, if they'd listened to him, they'd have gotten the gently caress home instead of playing along with their psychotic hobbit kidnapper.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

The thing was, the D&D cartoon tended to make Eric -right-. Most of the time, if they'd listened to him, they'd have gotten the gently caress home instead of playing along with their psychotic hobbit kidnapper.

Yeah, but that's because, as was established, the writer resented the message but was forced to write it in regardless.

There are plenty of other shows that played that message straight.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

alternatively perhaps kids should be encouraged to state the relative merits of their proposed course of action so people get why doing what they want would be better

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The cafeteria at work has a small bookshelf where people leave books they've read. I wandered over to it today and found, to my surprise, a copy of Elminster.

Didn't make it past the first paragraph before I felt compelled to put it down. Correct decision?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It can't possibly be worse than the last few spellfire novels.

• Locked thread