Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Blessings of Blake be upon you.

Turret control is likely that m5 meaning it is an exposed target, so the turrets will need to activated sooner than later (Not too soon mind you.)

That means the admin building is the one with the two m4s.

And the mechbay can handle some sandpapering but thats it.

:krakentoot: You are already martyrs in the eyes of blessed Blake, make them suffer for their transgressions on the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Mechbay is a hardened height 3, so unless enemy units are inside the compound it's safe behind the walls. Nothing is in range of turret control this turn, but it's a medium building so it probably won't get one shotted. Odds are unless there's literally nothing else to shoot, it won't get fired upon until the turrets are activated.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

PTN: any chance the comstar mechs have at least one ton of Swarm or Swarm-I per launcher. They are gonna need that poo poo for those tanks. And can they hotswap a ton real quick if they don't?

Since when does Comstar have Swarm LRM ammo?!?? (Yes it would be good though with all those targets to nice and bunched up.)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Gwaihir posted:

Well, there will most certainly be things to shoot at next turn for you- The guys on the right side of the map can't all get to cover from you all in one turn. I would suggest going to 1631 and facing 1731, then on the following turn you can run straight forward up on to your walls at 2129.

I thought about that, but I don't think I have the movement? With five points of running, I spend the first one to face 1330, and four more to end up in 1631. And even if I started the next turn facing 1731, wouldn't I need six points to end up at 2129 (4 points to run to 2029, 2 points to get to 2129 since it is one level higher)? Am I remembering the rules for movement wrong? Since if I'm not, I'm fairly certain that jumping next turn is the only way for me to reach any sort of firing position on the eastern wall, even if it is sub-optimal with regards to to-hit.

And I'm mainly going on about the cranes, since those three cranes on the 1719 to 2117 line can be used by the Cappies to obstruct most lines of sight, since at these ranges I'll most likely clip at least one of those hexes if I try to shoot at anything even vaguely behind them. But I suppose it's a bit early to think about that since the OpFor hasn't even moved yet.

How would I level the construction sites? They have no listed structural integrity, so I just assumed them to be indestructible just like woods.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Giddy with anticipation here. Kind of imagining the viking as:

Shiptoasting aside, are those walls going to dissolve under enough concentrated Liao hate beams? Or do they have infinite life with which to absorb the infidel's errant shots?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Theantero posted:

I thought about that, but I don't think I have the movement? With five points of running, I spend the first one to face 1330, and four more to end up in 1631. And even if I started the next turn facing 1731, wouldn't I need six points to end up at 2129 (4 points to run to 2029, 2 points to get to 2129 since it is one level higher)? Am I remembering the rules for movement wrong? Since if I'm not, I'm fairly certain that jumping next turn is the only way for me to reach any sort of firing position on the eastern wall, even if it is sub-optimal with regards to to-hit.

And I'm mainly going on about the cranes, since those three cranes on the 1719 to 2117 line can be used by the Cappies to obstruct most lines of sight, since at these ranges I'll most likely clip at least one of those hexes if I try to shoot at anything even vaguely behind them. But I suppose it's a bit early to think about that since the OpFor hasn't even moved yet.

How would I level the construction sites? They have no listed structural integrity, so I just assumed them to be indestructible just like woods.

Whoops, I forgot you were a 3/5 and not a 4/6!

I'd ask about the sites in your PM, since at least in some rules it's possible to fire at woods to clear them (Or set them on fire, as goonlances past have loved to do!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Viva Miriya posted:

PTN: any chance the comstar mechs have at least one ton of Swarm or Swarm-I per launcher. They are gonna need that poo poo for those tanks. And can they hotswap a ton real quick if they don't?

Hm, I seem to remember saying something about Swarms not too long ago.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

PoptartsNinja posted:

There is a reason I have not (and probably will not) ever put Swarm missiles on a machine.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 16, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Turret control is likely that m5 meaning it is an exposed target, so the turrets will need to activated sooner than later (Not too soon mind you.)

Not actually that exposed. I haven't actually plotted it out but by eyeballing the map the bad guys should lose LOS to it about the time they pass the river.

In other words, hold off as long as you can on activating the turrets because the point where they will be most effective is when the assault is being pushed through to the walls and their mechs are engaged with your mechs and can't do anything about suddenly turrets shooting them in the rear.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hmmm...

Looks like I can either jump on top of the berm at 0631 and face 0630 to get into position to fire my LRMs next turn, or go to 1331-1333 to start moving over to the right side of the map.

Suggestions?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do the SRM turrets only have lines of sight on units inside the walls?

...isn't that a bit weird?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Not obnoxiously in a world where jump jets exist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Do the SRM turrets only have lines of sight on units inside the walls?

...isn't that a bit weird?

They're positioned to shoot anything that enters the front gate in the back.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So the turrets are revealed when they shoot, or when a Beagle Active Probe finds them. None of the enemy units currently on the map have a Beagle. In addition the primary mission objectives, if referring to destroyed or disabled enemy units, allows for an additional 6 units. You guys might want to be on the lookout for additional enemy units showing up from behind you, or perhaps from the air.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Lance upon lance of Yellow Jacket VTOLs with gauss rifles come in from the rear blaring Ride of the Valkryies.

PTN then makes them all crash out of spite for being so cliche

garland336 posted:

Shiptoasting aside, are those walls going to dissolve under enough concentrated Liao hate beams? Or do they have infinite life with which to absorb the infidel's errant shots?

Effectively infinite life.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In practical terms it's 30 meters of solid ferrocrete. I didn't even give the walls stats, they're going through the gate and nowhere else.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2015

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Krumbsthumbs posted:

In addition the primary mission objectives, if referring to destroyed or disabled enemy units, allows for an additional 6 units. You guys might want to be on the lookout for additional enemy units showing up from behind you, or perhaps from the air.
I'm pretty sure the objectives are cumulative - so the third one would happen when 9 enemy units are out of the fight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

So the turrets are revealed when they shoot, or when a Beagle Active Probe finds them. None of the enemy units currently on the map have a Beagle. In addition the primary mission objectives, if referring to destroyed or disabled enemy units, allows for an additional 6 units. You guys might want to be on the lookout for additional enemy units showing up from behind you, or perhaps from the air.

It's PTN hinting heavily to use the turrets at some point in this wave, because wave 2 won't be surprised by them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well. Until whatever's going on with the forum's PMs is resolved, we may have to delay the update / due date (or I'll have to find some alternate means to get orders). I still can't send private messages or even alert Narsham that his or her turn's come up.

Ardlen posted:

I'm pretty sure the objectives are cumulative - so the third one would happen when 9 enemy units are out of the fight.

Correct.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just sent Narsham a PM. Hopefully they will post in here and get things sorted out.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
While it probably isn't going to be an issue, I'd like to point out that this mission is a failure if Adept rear end in a top hat survives.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I love the set-up to this mission. Though I wonder if the Legendary Beasts squad will show up if Goonlance performs really well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still can't send PMs and I can't view the day's banlist either. I hope the forums didn't somehow lose my platinum status.

Edit: Just tried again with Microsoft Edge and it works, so probably it's an issue with Chrome.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 17, 2015

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still can't send PMs and I can't view the day's banlist either. I hope the forums didn't somehow lose my platinum status.

You've still got the grenade by your name, so you should have Plat. Have you tried the basic stuff like clearing your cache/trying a different browser?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, the forums won't let me send private messages at the moment. Going to try to get the pilot primer out ASAP.

Edit: If anyone can send PMs, would you mind telling Narsham and Theantero their turns are starting? Every time I try to send a PM it skips over the screen asking me who I want to PM and just jumps straight to the one telling me they're not accepting PMs.

Psion's PM went through, so the problem's definitely on your end, PTN. (And I'm a him.)

Tran, no promises on surviving.

I'm thinking I turn to face 1332, then advance into 1531. Next turn, I either advance into 2028 for +2 movement mod and torso twist to fire on the rightmost group, or I go into 1530 and then to 1429 to fire up the center at a tank. I also have the option of firing at the crane in 2117 next turn to clear away enemy cover. All the jumpers are on the right side and I expect they'll try to use cover if they can.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clearing the cache did it. Chrome! :argh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clearing the cache did it. Chrome! :argh:

Aw, I liked my suggestion a lot more because it was completely nonsensical but actually worked for my latest Chrome issue.

oh well, I can't complain too much if it's resolved!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A bunch of AC/5s aren't going to do a whole lot on their own, so activating the turrets prematurely isn't likely to accomplish much other than making the mission take longer while the enemy stops for a turn or two and takes them out. It's probably worth the risk of waiting until they walk into the trap before setting activating them and trying to keep them preoccupied enough with your own activities that they don't have time to get curious until it's too late. A bunch of AC/5s popping up to shoot you in the back while you're already locked into a firefight is a much larger annoyance.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Voyager I posted:

A bunch of AC/5s popping up to shoot you in the back while you're already locked into a firefight is a much larger annoyance.
I'm also enjoying the possibility of "oh so my side torso is open so I'll face *this* way to keep shots out of that arc ... and ... why is there now a turret where there was nothing last turn?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Narsham posted:

I'm thinking I turn to face 1332, then advance into 1531. Next turn, I either advance into 2028 for +2 movement mod and torso twist to fire on the rightmost group, or I go into 1530 and then to 1429 to fire up the center at a tank. I also have the option of firing at the crane in 2117 next turn to clear away enemy cover. All the jumpers are on the right side and I expect they'll try to use cover if they can.

You can only do that movement if we can run through the turrets. So uh, can we? Because I sort of assumed that we couldn't in my own plans :v:

If it turns out that we can in fact run through them, may I suggest the following: Run to 1630 instead and I'll take 1531. That way we can both reach the eastern wall next turn by running, and you can still reach either 2028 or 1429. If we do this arrangement, I won't have to jump next turn and can keep my to-hit penalty smaller.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Hmmm...

Looks like I can either jump on top of the berm at 0631 and face 0630 to get into position to fire my LRMs next turn, or go to 1331-1333 to start moving over to the right side of the map.

Suggestions?

So, right or left?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Go with the faster firing position - shoot early, shoot often!

And I see the objectives only go up to 9 kills. I mean, this is meant to be an overwhelming force and all, but just for sake of argument could they possibly defeat all twelve enemy machines on the field? I guess that assumes no reinforcements but there could always be another Super Shadowhawk Strike if the first twelve guys don't do the job.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Battletech can always happen (Especially to Vehicles) but the odds are not in their favor.

e: From counting hexes, I don't think anyone can get range to fire this turn, and even if you did the to hits would be awful: (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement) = Needs 12s to hit.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 17, 2015

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Thought for the players - the turrets might not necessarily be hugely potent against mechs, but we saw 2 scenarios ago just how vulnerable vehicles are to side-shot CfMSDs.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Thought for the players - the turrets might not necessarily be hugely potent against mechs, but we saw 2 scenarios ago just how vulnerable vehicles are to side-shot CfMSDs.

With their "shoot at closest" programming, that may be a bit tricky to arrange. But worth remembering.

Theantero posted:

You can only do that movement if we can run through the turrets. So uh, can we? Because I sort of assumed that we couldn't in my own plans :v:

If it turns out that we can in fact run through them, may I suggest the following: Run to 1630 instead and I'll take 1531. That way we can both reach the eastern wall next turn by running, and you can still reach either 2028 or 1429. If we do this arrangement, I won't have to jump next turn and can keep my to-hit penalty smaller.

I'll check with PTN. If we can, I'll revise my orders.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Narsham posted:

I'll check with PTN. If we can, I'll revise my orders.

Ehh I don't think he does revisions. I might be totally wrong though. I mean, it's not like it really matters since that just means I'll have to jump next turn instead of running. Getting an unnecessary +1 To-Hit when all you can hit is buildings anyway is hardly the most grievous of tactical blunders we've seen in this thread.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Theantero posted:

Why couldn't you? They're not buildings, they don't fill the full 30 meter hex. They're statted like vehicles so you can move through them like vehicles.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why couldn't you? They're not buildings, they don't fill the full 30 meter hex. They're statted like vehicles so you can move through them like vehicles.

I suppose I just automatically went 'Turret=Building' in my head and then didn't really feel like questioning it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not trying to make you feel bad.

If the hex doesn't have a building type and a height, it's not a building so you can move through it relatively freely.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Theantero posted:

Ehh I don't think he does revisions.

Last mission I put in revised orders several times and never got yelled at for it; it's doable.

Just make sure you note in the PM's subject that it's a revised order set (for instance, one of my PMs to PTN had the subject line "Cerebus - Turn 7 CORRECTION NUMBER TWO" because not only did I revise those orders I did it twice, which I felt sorta bad about) and - I would suggest - send a full set of orders instead of saying 'use my last orders but go here instead.'

If you have a specific movement path in mind, spell it out; the above-mentioned orders included the following:

quote:

MOVEMENT
move to 1613
turn to face 1514
move to 1215

I also added in my torso-twist orders but was later told that PTN tends to handle that automatically so you can skip 'em if you like. Anyways, that's my two cents for order-formatting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Most players tend to try to torso twist when it's completely unnecessary so I ignore orders to do so most of the time and will twist them as needed to get the most number of weapons on their primary target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

If no one in my team has any objections, I'm going to jump to 0630, facing 0629, so I can get set up to (maybe) start firing LRMs next turn.

• Locked thread