Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I thought the resolution to the Paz storyline was one of the more effective bits of story in the game. It really drives home the guilt and madness Snake feels about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dangerous Person posted:

I thought the resolution to the Paz storyline was one of the more effective bits of story in the game. It really drives home the guilt and madness Snake feels about the whole thing.

You mean medic.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nah the medic died at the end of GZ, Venom is a true Snake

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The medic died on the tanker, two years ago.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The true snake rode off on a motorcycle at the start of the game. :colbert:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
In my game the medic was a black man with Mike Tyson's tattoo on his face. The man who walked into that imaginary room 11 times was Venom Snake.

EDIT: I'm sorry. Punished "Venom" Snake.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

This is the best video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA
Fake credits make it.

edit: holy poo poo:

MGS1 - Solid Snake: "Wolf-dogs. half wolf, half husky"

This poo poo goes deep.

Thank you for linking this, I laughed harder than I have all YEAR for five loving minutes straight. I needed that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Thank you for linking this, I laughed harder than I have all YEAR for five loving minutes straight. I needed that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

In case you didn't see it, here's another MGS video by the same guy. Not really the same style, but still https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8iBBJE_MZ0

This one really highlights what a shame it was how quiet Snake was in V

I started losing my poo poo at "Who's footprints are these?"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Might as well post em all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNaUiaGRxw

HOW DO I PET THE PUP?

...When Big Boss pets you...you stay pet...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

Might as well post em all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNaUiaGRxw

HOW DO I PET THE PUP?

...When Big Boss pets you...you stay pet...

Oh poo poo I didn't see that he had done another mgs one. I was going of titles, I guess. His Witcher 3 video also made me lose my poo poo.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So am i the only one that changed their avatar to have the venom snake scars and blind right eye after the ending reveal?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ekusukariba posted:

So am i the only one that changed their avatar to have the venom snake scars and blind right eye after the ending reveal?

I wonder if you could gently caress around with the sliders and perfectly reproduce Big Boss' face to make the reveal cutscene as confusing as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wonder if you could gently caress around with the sliders and perfectly reproduce Big Boss' face to make the reveal cutscene as confusing as possible.

I saw someone do this actually. It isn't perfect but close enough for government work.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

That's awesome. Imagine doing that in the very beginning, before you knew the twist. I almost did exactly that when I saw the scars, but I got tired of playing around with sliders and just said gently caress it and made some generic-looking dude so I could actually play the game.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I DON'T UNDERSTAND A BLUMMIN WORD THIS LADY IS SAYING

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I made my avatar relatively close to Big Boss, but luckily the doctors had been maintaining my camo facepaint for me for 9 years so it was still clear what was happening.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BurnBlackJay posted:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND A BLUMMIN WORD THIS LADY IS SAYING

ohhhhh hai

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Gruckles posted:

I made my avatar relatively close to Big Boss, but luckily the doctors had been maintaining my camo facepaint for me for 9 years so it was still clear what was happening.

That is an amazing mental picture. I have to admit I almost went with the Vulcan Raven forehead tattoo, but it just wouldn't be right on a person that isn't a 10-foot tall meat mountain.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

WHY DOES SHE KEEP SAYING HI? WHAT DOES IT MEME

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

That is an amazing mental picture. I have to admit I almost went with the Vulcan Raven forehead tattoo, but it just wouldn't be right on a person that isn't a 10-foot tall meat mountain.

Speaking of Raven, wasn't he mentioned as being at MG1 outer heaven? He should have had a role

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

randombattle posted:

Big Boss starts talking to you on 120.85 and then once he starts being an rear end in a top hat he's on 120.13.

If I remember correctly, it's like halfway through the game where he tells you to change frequencies to 120.13, so you could retroactively read that as Snake getting too far and BB needing Venom to give bullshit advice.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I assumed the avatar was who i'd be playing the game as, made it as close to BB as I could, then forgot about it after the prologue.

The ending was confusing for like 10 seconda.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ekusukariba posted:

Speaking of Raven, wasn't he mentioned as being at MG1 outer heaven? He should have had a role

MG1's Outer Heaven is technically in South Africa, so it gets formed after the end of TPP. Raven and Octopus get recruited really early iirc, and then he finds Wolf during Desert Storm (while Solid is rolling around with the Green Berets) and Mantis presumably joins after he's grown up.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Snak posted:

This is the best video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA
Fake credits make it.

edit: holy poo poo:

MGS1 - Solid Snake: "Wolf-dogs. half wolf, half husky"

This poo poo goes deep.

I was thinking of doing troll-runs once I got back to the States and got my streaming/video setup again.

But some of these aren't trolling. Some of these are amazing works of art. Thanks for sharing this.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hey so guess what.

Y'know what that text says? It says "Huge updates." I wonder what they have in store and I really hope it's not just events...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Unless they come right out and say, "we're adding more plot-based missions!" and poo poo, don't expect them to do that. From that title card alone, just expect FOB junk.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They better release all those costumes they showed off today as free DLC: Snake Eater Sneaking Suit and Snake Eater camo outfits, and Tuxedo. They also should release Big Boss as a playable character that you can select on deployment, so no scars and shrapnel but also no bionic arm.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The chance of those costumes being free is pretty close to zero, but I'd love to be wrong.

The "huge updates" is probably FOB-based stuff, hopefully to do a bit of restructuring or something so that it's more balanced. I also wouldn't be surprised if they added in some way to opt-out of the PvP element completely, since the backlash against that has been pretty brutal.

I would not be holding my breath for new main game story content, but anything could happen, I guess.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The "huge updates" is probably FOB-based stuff, hopefully to do a bit of restructuring or something so that it's more balanced. I also wouldn't be surprised if they added in some way to opt-out of the PvP element completely, since the backlash against that has been pretty brutal.

Is there anything to indicate this besides wishful thinking?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

a cop posted:

Is there anything to indicate this besides wishful thinking?

Nope, but considering it's an FOB announcement that says "Huge Updates!" I can't imagine what else would qualify besides rebalancing or opt-out. Not like they're going to be making new maps or anything. There's been a ton of people blowing up about being forced to interract with the FOB stuff at all, and they *did* say it was going to be 100% optional, so that would be my first guess.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nope, but considering it's an FOB announcement that says "Huge Updates!" I can't imagine what else would qualify besides rebalancing or opt-out. Not like they're going to be making new maps or anything.

Oh lol I missed the FOB part, sorry. I thought that was the MGO release date pic. My bad!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The backlash against FOBs is silly as hell considering the only resources you can lose are imaginary cloud resources that barely exist and a handful of easily replaceable soldiers

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

lets hang out posted:

The backlash against FOBs is silly as hell considering the only resources you can lose are imaginary cloud resources that barely exist and a handful of easily replaceable soldiers
They're also one of the hardest places to infiltrate in the entire game and defenders can spawn in, sending invaders back to checkpoints and then making it ridiculously hard to win. FOBs are only really at risk if they're underdeveloped and have poor defenses, and underdeveloped FOBs don't have much to steal anyway.

You stand to gain way more than you can lose with them, that's for sure.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Not to mention that if you spend 5 minutes setting up some defenses, you earn way more than you lose. Like I just looked at my log and I literally get 10 successful afk defenses for every one guy that gets through. Plus, on the PS4 at least, defending is actually fairly fun.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's true that the backlash against FOBs is in a lot of cases silly but it's also true that they're insanely imba and could be a lot more fun and competitive with some minor tweaks. So here's hoping for some balance changes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I guess to be fair the game never really explains how insubstantial online resources are. like i have hundreds of thousands of fuel on Konami's servers somewhere but I am nowhere near the gently caress closer to being able to get the rest of my FOB platforms to 4/4.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The biggest issue I have with FOBs right now is that CQC is laggy and random up close and it's impossible not to be Fultoned by someone who knocks you down, but at range spamming grenade and rocket launchers for knockdowns and damage is better than absolutely any other strategy, so it basically comes down either to who gets lucky with spam or running into the other guy around a corner and being faster on the CQC.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've actually only ever had one defender nade spam me, really lucky. Lots of lock-on missiles though, I don't see the appeal. Like there's tons of poo poo to hide behind on FOB platforms, they're really unthreatening. I mean I lose anyway but it's not the missiles that get me.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So is it explicitly mentioned somewhere that the Cobra Unit underwent parasite therapy for their powers? I guess it makes sense for End and Fear, but not the others. Someone changed the Wiki to say they all got their powers from VOCAL CORD PARASITES

Pretty sure Fury is just an extra crispy loon with a flamethrower...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Shotguns are my favorite FOB weapon, attacking or defending. Honestly though, most people are just really bad at it. I rarely get killed, and when I do it's almost always by guards wearing me down with LMGs or because I was dumb and fell off of a tall railing. I've played about 50 FOB matches and I've only been killed by another human player twice - once from getting CQCed and thrown into the sea before I could button mash out of it, and once by a guy that unloaded a riot SMG into my skull as I was Fultoning a guard. The shotguns are just insanely good because it doesn't matter where you hit them.

TheHoosier posted:

So is it explicitly mentioned somewhere that the Cobra Unit underwent parasite therapy for their powers? I guess it makes sense for End and Fear, but not the others. Someone changed the Wiki to say they all got their powers from VOCAL CORD PARASITES

Pretty sure Fury is just an extra crispy loon with a flamethrower...

iirc the tape only 100% confirms it for the End; Code Talker says he wanted to look at the Pain's corpse to see how parasites let him control insects, but they wouldn't let him look at any of the others. It's possible that only the End actually had parasites, but who knows. I kind of wish they didn't do the whole "midichlorians" thing, especially since it doesn't explain all of the other supernatural poo poo in the MGS games, but I guess they just really wanted to explain Quiet.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2015

• Locked thread