Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I bet you could get a decent sum from patreon, dont know how much you get from your sponsors but i'd pitch in CAD's so i dont have to skip through the lootcrate crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Does any of my money go to the best friends at all when I get a subscription?

Honestly would consider it if I got access to higher quality videos (I'm spoiled by giantbomb), and if it would help the crew out.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

TheRealestMatt posted:

I'm completely fine with patreon, and if things come down to it, I've often said we can use it. I even discussed dropping all the advertisers for the podcast, and make the podcast exclusively on Patreon support. The idea of using it usually gets shot down by the other members.

Please don't kill the ads on the podcast, those are one of the best parts. Hearing you guys yuk it up trying to sell bouquets of flowers or mattresses is amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt, can I get an answer on the Let's Watch videos and other stuff that normally isn't posted on youtube will be available on Vessel? Or is it solely reliant on youtube vids?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

I'm completely fine with patreon, and if things come down to it, I've often said we can use it. I even discussed dropping all the advertisers for the podcast, and make the podcast exclusively on Patreon support. The idea of using it usually gets shot down by the other members.
Any particular reason the others shoot it down? Do some feel like it damages legitimacy, or is it something more personal? Feeling like direct support requires some kind of obligation?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow the danganronpa LP is getting murdered, almost half are dislikes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Kenny is Monokuma.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

According to Patrick Klepek who's now deep into dirty google anaylstics, dislikes are sometimes better than likes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

According to Patrick Klepek who's now deep into dirty google anaylstics, dislikes are sometimes better than likes

We do not speak of the Klepek, he was exiled to the land of steel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Al-Saqr posted:

it's a Real Bad LP

granted some of the dislikes are the insane WHY ISN'T THIS UNTIL DAWN/MGSV whiners but also it's just really loving bad

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Mesothelioma posted:

Does any of my money go to the best friends at all when I get a subscription?

Honestly would consider it if I got access to higher quality videos (I'm spoiled by giantbomb), and if it would help the crew out.

Yes, it actually will. Any money we make off Vessel will almost exclusively go to making the overall channel better. Buying office space to record, new gear, new consoles, new tv, new PC in which to edit, new high quality mics for the podcast, etc.

For Patreon, I believe Woolie was more open to it, but both Liam and Pat don't like the sense of obligation it requires.

As for let's watches and such, right now, we'll keep that site exclusive, but it might change in the future. Not sure.

And finally, in regards to killing ads, we wouldn't get rid of them, but I think we'd start making our own, much like how Sleepycast does it. Which remains to this day, the best podcast I've ever been a part of.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Aren't you guys already kind of obligated though

I mean I guess you could pull out and stop making content at any time but then y'all would sort of be

unemployed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to have one so long as you say it's to help ensure you continue doing what you do, rather than "donate 1000 dollars and pick the next game we play!!"

I guess I'd love to hear Liam and Pat's arguments against it. Convince them to get accounts here. :v:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think they mean that if they took out ads and made it Patreon only some people would feel obligated to donate or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, they could do what giant bomb does and offer an ad-free podcast for people who donate etc

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yes, it actually will.

Then it's worth considering. Your wonder team of schmucks has kept me pretty entertained goin on years now so if it helps and isn't some hokey bullshit then you definitely deserve the help.

The only gripe I have is...

quote:

Any money we make off Vessel will almost exclusively go to making the overall channel better. Buying office space to record

Does this mean no more randomly hearing Zach meowing or Mrs. Kawopolishinski glaring at you from the other side of the room when you put your foot in your mouth?

Also steal that one "Rodeo Brand Paper Towels: For messes as big as Texas" advertisement. I figure if enough podcasts do it it'll just materialize as if it was always real.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Out of curiosity, if I buy stuff the Rustlemania poster from Sharkrobot, how much of that actually goes to you guys? Would y'all get more from me getting a sub for Vessel or getting merch/that Loot Crate offer?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The obsession with loadout costs has got to stop

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
dag gane ran pawl is fine

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guess who hosed up again

Yes, it's Mighty No. 9. They were supposed to release a trial/demo as an apology for delaying the game.

Except that is also delayed.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

How are they able to play songs at the end of the podcast if they make money off of ads? I've always wondered that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Matt, this might be better served as a podcast question but I'm already here so I might as well post this:

You guys have talked about how you don't end up covering a lot character action games because you don't have the time to get really good at them and because you don't want to put on a poor exhibition (and because people complain if you're not 100% on point). With that in mind, what can smaller developers/publishers do to make these kinds of hardcore action games more amenable to videos from you and people like you? Is it simply a matter of sending out copies way in advance so people have time to practice, or is there something else that I'm missing that'd make life easier for content producers and maybe increase the odds of them featuring/covering a game?

I ask because a friend of mind is helping publish some cult Japanese action games on PC - not character action but similarly dense, and while I can't say what they are just yet I know at least Woolie is somewhat familiar with them - but even people who seemed like they'd be into this niche are knocking him back because the games are too much of a time investment. Maybe it's simply a case of "if we're not already familiar with or excited for a game, we won't bother", I don't know.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Dude, I don't know. Personally, I'm fine with playing character action games day one, if they are really hype. It's moooostttttly Woolie that's against it, Pat too, to a lesser degree, but at the end of the day he'll do it when it comes down to it.

Woolie wanted DMC4 Special Editon to sell well, and we said we should do a video for it, and he was like, "Nah, not good enough." It's like, I dunno, just do the video.

Anyway, you are all huge nerds, so I actually need some help/advice!

I'm currently looking for a recording solution for my PC. I've used DXTory for the last long while, and it works well enough. However, Liam and I were recording a fantastic indie game a few weeks back, and because it's faaaairly indie, the game subtlety changes resolutions in between a lot of parts. DXTory is hard wired to split the video it records into multiple chunks when this happens, and as far as I know, there's no way to change that. It makes syncing the video a nightmare, and it's not worth it.

So does anyone know of any game recording software, or desktop recorders that keep file sizes low, and does not split the video? There's GeForce Shadowplay, but it requires a beefier computer, and I don't plan to get one until maybe next year. And we both REALLY wanna LP this game.

Thaaaanks for any help!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there something wrong with obs?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yes, it actually will. Any money we make off Vessel will almost exclusively go to making the overall channel better. Buying office space to record, new gear, new consoles, new tv, new PC in which to edit, new high quality mics for the podcast, etc.

For Patreon, I believe Woolie was more open to it, but both Liam and Pat don't like the sense of obligation it requires.

As for let's watches and such, right now, we'll keep that site exclusive, but it might change in the future. Not sure.

And finally, in regards to killing ads, we wouldn't get rid of them, but I think we'd start making our own, much like how Sleepycast does it. Which remains to this day, the best podcast I've ever been a part of.

Cool stuff. My only concern over using Vessel would be hoping all four of you read any contacts to the letter as to avoid any tomfoolery bullshit another company can do to/with your content.

Not that it's any of my business or that this thread is pushing you to do anything, but you should keep a Patreon in the back of your mind. Remember how you had to shut down the mailbag because you guys literally got too much stuff? If you started a Patreon with short and simple goals, I think you guys would make a stupid amount of money. Hell, Spoony (whom I am a big fan of) is making $3,500/month there and all hes been doing is the occasional wrestling vlog, Counter Monkey video, and a livestream on Youtube once in a while.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Tae posted:

Is there something wrong with obs?

What's that?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I think he's talking about Open Broadcaster Software.

https://obsproject.com/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's basically a really simple yet powerful streaming program that also records locally, with the option to either record parts of your monitor or directly off the game.

Actually, now I'm worried what software you used to stream the nuzlocke if you didn't know about obs.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Tae posted:

It's basically a really simple yet powerful streaming program that also records locally, with the option to either record parts of your monitor or directly off the game.

Actually, now I'm worried what software you used to stream the nuzlocke if you didn't know about obs.

You'd have to ask Woolie. He set that up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My first suggestion would be OBS too, but I assumed you were using that already. Oops

I don't have that much experience with desktop video capture, although I work with video editing and I really should know better, but it should be able to capture straight from the game without caring about resolution changes probably. Give it a whirl. Otherwise, you could check the Tech Support thread in the Let's Play forums and people might be able to help you better.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

I fooled around in OBS, and it's actually quite good for our purposes! We're playing a 2D Pixel game, so now I'm just trying to figure out good settings that will keep the file sizes down, but it doesn't have to be the loving crispest looking thing ever, cuz it won't matter much with the game we are playing.

Thanks guys! I think I might use this!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shower with your dad simulator video incoming

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

We can only pray

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Super Best Friends Play the Sakura Series

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but at what point do they realize there's a game with that name?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Dumb follow up question since you're around, Matt: Whats the odds of you doing more goofy live action stuff?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

This Sunday, actually.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Hot drat, thanks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheRealestMatt posted: