Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

The creepiest part was that everyone there spoke to the live audience in front of them like normal people would, except Cruz.

Cruz eyefucked the camera 100% of the time, as though the people physically present in front of him didn't exist. There's something elementally unsettling about someone that fixated and manipulative, and it gives me this gnawing, restless hatred of him like he's the guy at the bar who just can't take a hint but keeps hammering away with his PUA bullshit.

What was concerning was that Walker and Christie began doing it too, late in the debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FAUXTON posted:

The creepiest part was that everyone there spoke to the live audience in front of them like normal people would, except Cruz.

Cruz eyefucked the camera 100% of the time, as though the people physically present in front of him didn't exist. There's something elementally unsettling about someone that fixated and manipulative, and it gives me this gnawing, restless hatred of him like he's the guy at the bar who just can't take a hint but keeps hammering away with his PUA bullshit.

Cruz is a college debate nerd and it tells me so much about him.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Missed the debate (drat you college!) and checking out highlights.

What the gently caress with that 10 dollar question and the answers?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

President Kucinich posted:

Bush getting in repeated slap fights with trump was pathetic.

Bush looked incredibly weak. He kept getting slapped down. "My brother kept us safe" with Trump's rejoinder "I don't feel that safe." was incredible. Trump isn't some great debater but that was magnificent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

What was concerning was that Walker and Christie began doing it too, late in the debate.

Yeah but who gives a poo poo about those chucklefucks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Bush looked incredibly weak. He kept getting slapped down. "My brother kept us safe" with Trump's rejoinder "I don't feel that safe." was incredible. Trump isn't some great debater but that was magnificent.

Bush also tried to get "hard" and ask Trump to apologize to his wife. Trump pretty much was just like "Nah".

Jeb Bush came out looking goddamn terrible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump got his two biggest competitors at the time to high five him after he made a policy point each time in front of 25+ million people

Yeah, he won

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Bush also tried to get "hard" and ask Trump to apologize to his wife. Trump pretty much was just like "Nah".

Jeb Bush came out looking goddamn terrible.

Jeb then gleefully fived the same person he demanded apologize to his wife.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Bush is a fuckin chump the moment he didn't punch Trump in his face for the comment about his wife. What a coward.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Trumps greatest super power is being able to bluntly tell people to gently caress off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm still in awe at how few people caught that "humble" was a goddamn brutal shank between Jeb's ribs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bush is a fuckin chump the moment he didn't punch Trump in his face for the comment about his wife. What a coward.

Brannock posted:

Jeb then gleefully fived the same person he demanded apologize to his wife.

Yeah, you can't do that poo poo.

Honestly I think Jeb, and Kasich would both have a decent chance at winning a general election. But these primaries are just going to kill them.

The party needs to hurry the gently caress up and get the ones who have no chance at a General Election out.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Trumps greatest super power is being able to bluntly tell people to gently caress off.

Used to think I gave zero fucks. This dude is operating on levels that I can't even comprehend, and people are letting it happen rather than making sure he goes away.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

I'm still in awe at how few people caught that "humble" was a goddamn brutal shank between Jeb's ribs.

Nuance has never, ever been a thing for the electorate. Why would it start now?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you think Lindsey Graham is going to benefit from the coattails of the "Rah Rah War on ISIS" noise from the big boy debate?

No, I think everyone at the kiddie table is done shortly. To the extent he gets anything it will be because of his longstanding ties with the newsmedia that he can go on and talk ISIS and comment on Fiorina's plan, but he won't see a polling bump or pick up any backers. He's too small time for the pulic, and there are bigger fish in the top tier that will deliver more to the donors.

FAUXTON posted:

The "audience" was a selection of big donors, republican "insiders", and friends and family of the debaters. Cruz wasn't going to win any of their support, and his ignoring them in favor of pitching to the audience he can win was a good call

Bush getting in repeated slap fights with trump was pathetic.
Absolutely. But losing those fights was even worse

My Face When posted:

Missed the debate (drat you college!) and checking out highlights.

What the gently caress with that 10 dollar question and the answers?

What, you think were going to discuss the figures that came out today on poverty and health care access from the census bureau? Or talk the economy since that is the biggest concern of voters? Or address police violence, decaying infrastructure, municipal wealth extraction, the trade deficit, information security and privacy policy, should the Fed raise interest rates, monetary policy in general, or the strong shift in international politics with a series of very left politicians winning, casting the dominance of TINA into doubt?

This was CNN hosting the Republican debate. We are lucky we didn't have Wolf trying to figure out if that was the Malaysian Air plane in the background while the candidates spouted theories about how it went missing and ended up there

Yeah. I mean, I'm not one to push the whole high school male honor culture bullshit, but you either need to take a page from George Bernard Shaw and let silence be the ultimate form of contempt, or you need to loving win when you demand an apology. Demanding an apology for your woman's honor (like she's a possession), getting told to gently caress off, and then chumming around with the guy afterwards makes you look like the kind of weak sychophant original timeline George McFly was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

Nuance has never, ever been a thing for the electorate. Why would it start now?

No, I mean even here and goons watching it at the time. It was something I honestly did not expect Trump capable of. Sure, if he had teed it up with some explanation it wouldn't have been a surprise but he just left it all to subtext and it was incredible.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, even Ann Coulter felt that the candidates fellated Israel too much...

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/ann-coulter-lashes-out-at-gop-debaters-how-many-f-ing-jews-do-these-people-think-are-in-the-us/

quote:

Conservative author Ann Coulter reacted to Wednesday night’s Republican presidential primary debate by suggesting that the candidates were spending too much time pandering to Jews.

“How many f—ing Jews do these people think there are in the United States?” Coulter asked in an angry tweet.

In a follow-up message, she speculated that the candidates were trying “to suck up to the Evangelicals.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

No, I mean even here and goons watching it at the time. It was something I honestly did not expect Trump capable of. Sure, if he had teed it up with some explanation it wouldn't have been a surprise but he just left it all to subtext and it was incredible.

I mean, I was responding to the question of "why didn't more people catch on?". I agree, it was a great move, and I think a lot of people are severely underestimating Trump's acumen. He's an educated human just like the rest of us and he'll catch onto moments like these. I think the most dangerous thing you can do in response to the Republicans is write them off as mindless, incompetent idiots. They wen through decades of life experiences and connections, they at least have some idea of what they're doing (even if it's just-enough-to-be-dangerous) and are capable of justifying and defending it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

There has been a lot of speculation about here being a white supremacist for years, particularly given her praise of Sobran. I think that tonight it just slipped out, with her being more comfortable with Trump mainstreaming this poo poo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Well as soon as he said it the room exploded in laughter, I expect most people were trying to figure out what he said, since there was still a lot of laughter about Jeb's comment

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

It's me, I'm the clueless idiot. How was humble a :master: :iceburn: against JEB!? Was it just "Well, if you're gonna pick a codename that doesn't describe you at all, so will I?"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man. I almost feel sorry for a Bush.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
So I watched both debates, and despite how radically I disagree with Kasich he's the only one I find coming off as remotely likeable. His political opinions are far right religiously informed dogshit, but they seem like they might be actual convictions and not just whatever he thinks the republican base wants to hear. He also comes off as actually liking American rather than wanting to say whatever possible to come off as liking America. Does he have some totally reprehensible poo poo in his voting/governing record (other than his obvious social religious conservatism)? He's the only one I've even heard suggesting things like compromise. I want so badly for there to be at least one candidate in the republican field where I can say, "I completely disagree with everything you stand for, but you're not literally evil." :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lprsti99 posted:

It's me, I'm the clueless idiot. How was humble a :master: :iceburn: against JEB!?

Jeb says he's full of energy and therefore his codename would be Eveready.

Trump, deciding to call himself Humble, frames Jeb's choice as an opposites-day gag, imputing that Jeb is, as Trunp has said repeatedly, very low energy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/17/kelly-file-focus-group-carly-fiorina-was-big-winner-gop-debate

FoxNews already working on the Trumpster hit pieces. I'm sure the focus group was sourced quite randomly with the intention to create accurate data

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

tehllama posted:

So I watched both debates, and despite how radically I disagree with Kasich he's the only one I find coming off as remotely likeable. His political opinions are far right religiously informed dogshit, but they seem like they might be actual convictions and not just whatever he thinks the republican base wants to hear. He also comes off as actually liking American rather than wanting to say whatever possible to come off as liking America. Does he have some totally reprehensible poo poo in his voting/governing record (other than his obvious social religious conservatism)? He's the only one I've even heard suggesting things like compromise. I want so badly for there to be at least one candidate in the republican field where I can say, "I completely disagree with everything you stand for, but you're not literally evil." :smith:

Kasich is not literally evil. He's pretty moderate in his voting record. He's against gay marriage and all the other traditional republican things but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were elected president. And I say this as a raving liberal.

Edit: All of this is exactly why he's going to lose the nomination.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/17/kelly-file-focus-group-carly-fiorina-was-big-winner-gop-debate

FoxNews already working on the Trumpster hit pieces. I'm sure the focus group was sourced quite randomly with the intention to create accurate data

Man, do they really want Fiorina though.

She is gonna get destroyed once people remove the kid gloves look into her history and attack her.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kasich is not literally evil. He's pretty moderate in his voting record. He's against gay marriage and all the other traditional republican things but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were elected president. And I say this as a raving liberal.

Yeah, This could be my liberal bias, but Kasich seems like one of the two in the GOP who I think could win a General election.

Neither of them are gonna make it out of the Primaries alive.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Dexo posted:

She is gonna get destroyed once people remove the kid gloves look into her history and attack her.

Agreed. With Trump holding (Probably) as front runner I think we see a few of the discovery/scrutiny/decline cycles 538 has talked about as alternatives. If Carson drops as Firoina rises that's a pretty strong indication this is exactly what's happening.

I seriously doubt Fiorina can survive the scrutiny phase.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

He's I think the only one who hasn't reversed a position when directly challenged with something he said earlier in their career and his insistence on saying things like "hey maybe we should work with the rest of the world," or "maybe we shouldn't keep shutting the government down," makes him practically look like a progressive compared to the rest of the field. It is at least a little reassuring to know people like him still exist on the other side of the aisle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

tehllama posted:

Kasich believes in a working society, for lack of a better phrase. Whereas Bush and Walker don't give a gently caress and just wants to sell this country off to their cronies in pieces, or Huckabee and Cruz are sincere in their beliefs and want to sell this country off, Kasich is sincere in his beliefs and wants to make them work as well as possible to do right by this country and make it thrive.

In theory there is room for a complete fraud who doesn't believe anything he says but wants to make this country work well, but I can't think of anyone on the GOP side who fits in that category. Maybe Bob Dole? My memory of the 90s is kinda vague and I don't geel like looking it up.

Now, Kasich is pretty much 100% wrong in his beliefs and I don't think they would make the country better off at all, but he is willing to make detente with the opposition and do things counter his beliefs if they are shown to make the system work better and make things better for the people.

Historically btw, the "fraud who focuses on good government" tends to describe most of our best leaders. Probably because if you don't believe in anything you have no problem ditching commitments to make things work, and all people really want is things to work smoothly and leave them alone.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

#IStandWithAnn is now trending #2 in the United States. It's full of alt-right bloggers and neo-nazis.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bullfrog posted:

#IStandWithAnn is now trending #2 in the United States. It's full of alt-right bloggers and neo-nazis.

the united states? yes, yes it is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Carly Fiorina won this debate, and if that's not bad news for Republicans, I don't know what is.

Also, I can't believe Scott Walker is loving dead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
We just watched anti-vaxx bullshit and the literal slandering of Planned Parenthood on CN loving N.

Hillary says she's "excited" to defend PP and the rest of the Dems have come out to similar tunes.

Yet while the RNC debates have drawn in tens of millions of eyes (twice) and driven the public discourse at a fraction of the cost of actual campaign, here we have to wait until next month for a goddamned televised debate (ie. a guaranteed national platform for party agenda) because the DNC decided that having 60% as many debates would make them 100% more immune to being attacked on television more times by a GOP that has never been more out for blood.

Do we call our congress people? What do we do to push on the schedule issue?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yet while the RNC debates have drawn in tens of millions of eyes (twice) and driven the public discourse at a fraction of the cost of actual campaign, here we have to wait until next month for a goddamned televised debate (ie. a guaranteed national platform for party agenda) because the DNC decided that having 60% as many debates would make them 100% more immune to being attacked on television more times by a GOP that has never been more out for blood.

who cares? 80% of the electorate is already decided, it's not like anyone is watching these debates and getting more fired up over the GOP clown car. let the republicans spend their money fighting each other, making asses out of themselves over trump. the more the republicans turn on each other the better it is for the dems who aren't splitting a pot of early fundraising a dozen different ways.

the longer trump stays in the race being trump, the better it is for clinton, because it'll make the inevitable non-trump candidate look weak and like a compromise candidate (like romney). if your enemies are fighting each other, you let them keep fighting

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah. I mean, I'm not one to push the whole high school male honor culture bullshit, but you either need to take a page from George Bernard Shaw and let silence be the ultimate form of contempt, or you need to loving win when you demand an apology. Demanding an apology for your woman's honor (like she's a possession), getting told to gently caress off, and then chumming around with the guy afterwards makes you look like the kind of weak sychophant original timeline George McFly was.

:agreed:

Trump was slick though; didn't apologize and dropped game on Bush's wifey.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There's been a campaign to leave complaints on DWS' voicemail but lol if that's ever going to effective.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Kaisch is a (religious) charter school loving sack of poo poo. He's not moderate and his idea of a Working Society is still regressive as hell and while nobody's as big a shitheel as Walker, Kaisch would still gently caress education sideways while sprinting to the right with the GOP congress.

Dexo posted:

Trump already let a salvo go tonight noting that no, HP didn't do well under her and that she's a disaster. Fiorina's argument in response was "well the guy who fired me says the board was a mess and I was actually really awesome!"

Electric Bugaloo posted:

We just watched anti-vaxx bullshit and the literal slandering of Planned Parenthood on CN loving N.

Hillary says she's "excited" to defend PP and the rest of the Dems have come out to similar tunes.

You never interrupt an enemy while they're making mistakes. I say push the DNC debates back a bit further and let the GOP continue to devour itself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trump already let a salvo go tonight noting that no, HP didn't do well under her and that she's a disaster. Fiorina's argument in response was "well the guy who fired me says the board was a mess and I was actually really awesome!"

to be fair she wasn't the worst CEO of HP, just an unpopular one. she's probably as good at business as trump is, but he's far better of a self-promoter

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Couldn't watch the debate but re: Kasich I think he is probably, out of the remaining establishment candidates, the most competent and likable as a campaigner. And being the best establishment candidate isn't the worst place to be in a Republican primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rand Paul tried to get at Trump but the Donald swatted him off like a fly and made the audience laugh. Owned

• Locked thread