Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I watch some japanese guy who's ranked like 30th stream FOB stuff and he uses the sawed off to great effect so I just copy him and sure enough it's really good. But yeah it's usually the guards who kill me when the defender shows up. A and S rank guards seem to murder me crazy fast once they start shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TheHoosier posted:

So is it explicitly mentioned somewhere that the Cobra Unit underwent parasite therapy for their powers? I guess it makes sense for End and Fear, but not the others. Someone changed the Wiki to say they all got their powers from VOCAL CORD PARASITES

Pretty sure Fury is just an extra crispy loon with a flamethrower...

Code talker got some from the corpse of The End, I believe. Implies that his supernatural power came from parasites. This may have been the case with The Pain and The Fear as well, but The Sorrow's powers still seem to be legit and I don't think The Boss/Joy would have had them, and The Fury, much like Batman, appears to be simply a maniac in a suit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Sorrow has to be legit at least, since Ocelot has latent psychic abilities. Plus you've still got Mantis, Raven, and Fortune.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Code talker got some from the corpse of The End, I believe. Implies that his supernatural power came from parasites. This may have been the case with The Pain and The Fear as well, but The Sorrow's powers still seem to be legit and I don't think The Boss/Joy would have had them, and The Fury, much like Batman, appears to be simply a maniac in a suit.

Yeah I caught that blurb about The End. It does make sense but I prefer a little mystery in this case. Doesnt seem to bother Snake that a dude in a mask is flinging pissed off hornets at him

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully The Pain is a manifestation of bee hive minds as a survival response to Colony Collapse Disorder.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I really like that Code Talker really wanted to give himself bee powers in addition to his photosynthesis/super-vision, but his cipher handlers stopped him. That's just far too much power for one old man to wield.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I caught that blurb about The End. It does make sense but I prefer a little mystery in this case. Doesnt seem to bother Snake that a dude in a mask is flinging pissed off hornets at him

I'M COVERED IN BEES!!!

http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=289

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gruckles posted:

I really like that Code Talker really wanted to give himself bee powers in addition to his photosynthesis/super-vision, but his cipher handlers stopped him. That's just far too much power for one old man to wield.

I think I missed this part. Code talker was a hilarious and great character. People who don't like him don't know what the gently caress.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

In these dark days of uncertainty, we need a new The Last Days of FOXHOUND more than ever :allears:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I mean the MGS4 Database and other poo poo went through the trouble to tell me the dude just let bees sting the gently caress out of him over and over before shrugging and saying "gently caress it hes one of us". The queen is in his fanny pack

For once I dont want VOCAL CORD PARASITES or NANOMACHINES explain away something. Let me believe the crazy fucker just really goddamn enjoys bees

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
another stupid observation: I just noticed today that all of the cute animals in the the horizontal Paz poster are foxes of different colors.

Additionally, despite the metaphor of Venom's horn growing and it seeming to be a hallucination, if we go with the idea that it's being pushed out of his brain, that means that as he becomes more violent, he is rejecting peace, rejecting Paz. Literally pushing her out of his head.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

another stupid observation: I just noticed today that all of the cute animals in the the horizontal Paz poster are foxes of different colors.

Additionally, despite the metaphor of Venom's horn growing and it seeming to be a hallucination, if we go with the idea that it's being pushed out of his brain, that means that as he becomes more violent, he is rejecting peace, rejecting Paz. Literally pushing her out of his head.

I wish there was more visual fuckery like in the cut 51 where he goes colorblind for a second and shoots Eli cause he's thinks he's wearing a white hazmat suit like the Cipher troops are.

It's mentioned in the prologue that brain damage and visual imparement is imminent because of the horn, but that never gets followed up on.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It happens in the prologue after you get attacked by Volgin when you are playing dead and break your leg, the fire and blood on your face look blue and I think it happens any time you get the serious injury thing which is never basically if you are not loving around.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Shotguns are my favorite FOB weapon, attacking or defending. Honestly though, most people are just really bad at it. I rarely get killed, and when I do it's almost always by guards wearing me down with LMGs or because I was dumb and fell off of a tall railing. I've played about 50 FOB matches and I've only been killed by another human player twice - once from getting CQCed and thrown into the sea before I could button mash out of it, and once by a guy that unloaded a riot SMG into my skull as I was Fultoning a guard. The shotguns are just insanely good because it doesn't matter where you hit them.
I use an auto-shotgun and a rocket launcher. If I catch somebody at midrange I just pop off shotgun blasts at them as I close in, it usually knocks them down at any distance even if the damage is bad and as soon as I'm close enough to dump the rest of the magazine I unload. It kills anybody dumb enough to be wearing a Sneaking Suit and using tranqs or bullets, and I'm not close enough to CQC even if they manage to stand up.

It's the guys smart enough to use Battle Armor and launchers who play cat and mouse who are annoying. Even then you can camp, it's just boring and comes down to who gets their spam off first. Best way I've found to deal with defenders on first tier platforms is to hide until they rush past and then rush the door. Doesn't work if people camp though, which again makes everything boring.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

I wish there was more visual fuckery like in the cut 51 where he goes colorblind for a second and shoots Eli cause he's thinks he's wearing a white hazmat suit like the Cipher troops are.

It's mentioned in the prologue that brain damage and visual imparement is imminent because of the horn, but that never gets followed up on.

There's so many stylistic hints of things being different then they appear. Shooting skullface and have flashes of what Miller and Snake looked like before is a really neat effect, but it also feels like it's hinting that Venom is seeing things differently than they are. But nothing ever comes of it and I guess it's just artistic license for that one scene.

it's also very confusing that while your horn can grow in game, it appears grown in some cutscenes. I mean, I get why that is, but it creates a contradictory feeling as a player. Like in mission 43, I thought that I had made a wrong choice because Venom all the sudden has a giant horn in the cutscene, and I thought "oh poo poo, I did one of the things that makes it grow!" but as soon as the scene was over and I was back in engine it was back to normal.

No seriously WHY THE gently caress DOES OCELOT have the DERP UPSIDE-DOWN SHOTGUN REVOLVERS? Like, I don't care of Kojima finds a new gun to jerk off to every game, in MGS1, Ocelot says that the SSA is the best gun ever, and he starts using it in MGS3. So was "i'm gonna use a retarded gun" part of his self-hypnosis, or what? It's not like there isn't a loving sweet long-barreled revolver in the game.

Ocelot doesn't even do any trick shots in the whole game. What the gently caress.

There's a LONE RANGER THEMED VILLAIN. Who uses a sawed-off lever-action rifle with an antler grip. And he doesn't have a loving shootout with Ocelot. How can you put two cowboy themed characters in the same game and not have that happen?

Instead of dumb Volgin lumbering around in the lobby, that should have been the escape sequence of The Man Who Sold the World. Skullface's tank blows open the wall of the hospital, knocking the weak snake to the floor. Skullface walks smugly into view, casually executing another patient and flip-cocking his gun. As he approaches Snake LENS FLARE and a whinny. Ocelot is atop a white horse rearing up at the top of the stairs (somehow). Tossing his back gun over his shoulder from behind as he jumps off his horse, he catches it in this right hand and fans off two shots, taking off Skullface's hat and mask, before he tosses the gun to left hand and draws with his right, laying down a barrage of suppressive fire that forces Skullface back behind his tank. His left gun now empty, he reholsters it and uses that hand to pick snake up off the floor. Back on his horse, the last bullet from his right gun catches in the rifling of the tank's gun and spirals in, causing an explosion inside the tank.

But instead of that, he shoots a dumb shotgun pistol into the air once to get people to stop trying to lynch Huey for some reason. Way to go, Ocelot.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Quiet fired Ocelot's gun more than he did.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

How could Ocelot know the single action army was the best gun ever until he used a different gun? Checkmate my friend.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Snak posted:

Normally I'm a sucker for that kind of cutesy crap, but I really wish they didn't make cutesy posters of the girl who last we saw was exploding from a vagina bomb, and who's teeth were embeded in our character from the explosion. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

How could Ocelot know the single action army was the best gun ever until he used a different gun? Checkmate my friend.

Ocelot's gun in 4 was some awful bullshit too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aurain posted:

Ocelot's gun in 4 was some awful bullshit too.

He had a gun? I thought he just used mind bullets.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Heres a ponderance for people bitching about losing their poo poo to invaders: anything you can possibly lose in an FOB invasion you never would have had without the FOB anyway, be it resources or staff capacity. Grow a pair!!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

*vanishes with a creepy howl*

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Metal Gear Online eases the pain of not getting a completed game. Hope there's a season pass announced soon that gives some MGO maps and some TPP singleplayer content.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not sure if this has been posted yet

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Metal Gear Online eases the pain of not getting a completed game. Hope there's a season pass announced soon that gives some MGO maps and some TPP singleplayer content.

I generally don't like online shooters because I suck at them but the bullet deflecting Ocelot can do looks ridiculously fun.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

lets hang out posted:

I guess to be fair the game never really explains how insubstantial online resources are. like i have hundreds of thousands of fuel on Konami's servers somewhere but I am nowhere near the gently caress closer to being able to get the rest of my FOB platforms to 4/4.

Yeah, does anyone know how this works exactly? Really want to build an r and d platform so I stole a shitload of fuel online but drat does it take its sweet time being converted

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It only converts when you are actively playing the game, if you idle you won't get new resources. I think it activates when you enter a new "zone" and activate a checkpoint but theres probably a timer component to it on top of that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Sorrow has to be legit at least, since Ocelot has latent psychic abilities. Plus you've still got Mantis, Raven, and Fortune.

No, Ocelot doesn't. See the end of MGS4. He hypnotized himself to believe Liquid was taking over his mind through the arm. It makes no sense and the Sorrow explanation would've worked better but Kojima just loves to throw in unneeded twists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The MGS 4 database, which is a thing that might be canon or not, suggests it's legitimate possession in 2 and between games he had the arm lopped off but started a ruse that he's still under control because it's beneficial for him.

I'm personally convinced that Kojima got mad that people guessed at "sorrow's his dad so he has untapped power that liquid abused" and decided against it to swerve people.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

The MGS 4 database, which is a thing that might be canon or not, suggests it's legitimate possession in 2 and between games he had the arm lopped off but started a ruse that he's still under control because it's beneficial for him.

I'm personally convinced that Kojima got mad that people guessed at "sorrow's his dad so he has untapped power that liquid abused" and decided against it to swerve people.

I'd like to think Kojima is better than Vince Russo.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Jeez. The voice is really all you need to figure this out. He's voiced by Liquid when Liquid is actually possessing him, and by Ocelot when he's faking it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Which you would think Snake would have noticed, by the way

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Which you would think Snake would have noticed, by the way

i think the voice change is only for us, the players. I think snake just hears one voice from ocelot all the time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sefal posted:

i think the voice change is only for us, the players. I think snake just hears one voice from ocelot all the time.

This is what Kojima says and is also what they went with for the digital graphic novel. You can still hear Cam Clarke in that, but only in new scenes added that actually show Ghost Liquid messing with Ocelot.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Danaru posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet

This is pretty OK minus the Quiet cameo. I mean, I get what the artist was going for, but it just seems unnecessary.

Unless the follow-up is her closing his eyes and then ninja-fleecing Outer Heaven for all of its easily portable tech and shadow-dashing out before the bomb goes off, then retreating to the badlands in South Dakota to begin the slow and secret process of rebuilding a true home for the first nations with Code Talker who at this point is a literal tree growing out of a hotwired walker gear and a flock of helpful ravens that contains the decentralized consciousness of Vulcan Raven (because he was full of mutant parasites that enhanced his senses by processing all inbound and outbound stimulus that retained their hivemind connection when eaten by several dozen separate ravens in MGS1, turning him into a sort of macro-scale cawing AI foglet cloud.)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You're right, that sounds absolutely necessary.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

She dear though

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cephalocidal posted:

This is pretty OK minus the Quiet cameo. I mean, I get what the artist was going for, but it just seems unnecessary.

:words:

I don't think you understand that he's hallucinating, while he's dying, his dead mute girlfriend because he loved her.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Skoll posted:

I don't think you understand that he's hallucinating, while he's dying, his dead mute girlfriend because he loved her.

V: A hallucination... yeah, I think I've had those. After I woke up in the hospital colors were sort of faded.
O: It looks like you've got a contemporary gameplay mechanic pressing against your optic nerve that causes these "hallucinations" when you're under extreme stress and about to die.
V: Makes sense. To be honest I wasn't too sure, it was kind of hard to pay attention to the hallucinations at the time what with floating boys and giant flame-whales and the puppet husk of Soviet nuclear ambition tossing fire at me.

Even if we're just making poo poo up it's important to remember that the plot of TPP was pressed into form like the toes of a Chinese Song-dancer so that it would reflect as literally as possible the lyrics of a song written by David Bowie in 1970. Metaphors exist in the world of Metal Gear, but they're tangible things - Words, Phantoms, Memes, and straight-up Emotions can kill you. WITH BULLETS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cephalocidal posted:

V: A hallucination... yeah, I think I've had those. After I woke up in the hospital colors were sort of faded.
O: It looks like you've got a contemporary gameplay mechanic pressing against your optic nerve that causes these "hallucinations" when you're under extreme stress and about to die.
V: Makes sense. To be honest I wasn't too sure, it was kind of hard to pay attention to the hallucinations at the time what with floating boys and giant flame-whales and the puppet husk of Soviet nuclear ambition tossing fire at me.

Even if we're just making poo poo up it's important to remember that the plot of TPP was pressed into form like the toes of a Chinese Song-dancer so that it would reflect as literally as possible the lyrics of a song written by David Bowie in 1970. Metaphors exist in the world of Metal Gear, but they're tangible things - Words, Phantoms, Memes, and straight-up Emotions can kill you. WITH BULLETS.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread