Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Any idea why Hrovat didn't play many games this year? If the Saints are interested I would be surprised if it was anything serious. Probably more likely the Saints are testing the water to see what the response is.

He's had some soft tissue issues but it's mostly because when he plays at AFL level he tries to do too much and doesn't pace himself. He's shown great form in the VFL as one of our best performers and I do think that he has been pigeonholed as a small forward at AFL level when he's an inside mid through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

He's had some soft tissue issues but it's mostly because when he plays at AFL level he tries to do too much and doesn't pace himself. He's shown great form in the VFL as one of our best performers and I do think that he has been pigeonholed as a small forward at AFL level when he's an inside mid through and through.

Fair enough. I doubt the Saints would be too into him as they already have plenty of small inside mids playing forward already.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

Fair enough. I doubt the Saints would be too into him as they already have plenty of small inside mids playing forward already.

I have heard that Hrovat has been having ankle issues this year and is getting surgery on it during the off season so he would probably be a worthwhile investment since he's the type of player that will work hard to rebound from a set back.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Testekill posted:

Greg Denham was on SEN earlier today, he said that Melbourne & St Kilda are both keen on Nathan Hrovat and Sydney is keen on Talia. Small issue regarding Hrovat is that he is contracted and is loved around the club.

Clubs are probably keen on Bontempelli and Tom Boyd too but it doesn't mean anything of note will come of it. Trade period is great for media hacks trying to stay relevant.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
One of my uncles (eagles member) just paid 4 grand for two tickets to the GF.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That's pretty much what those GF packages the AFL sells go for, around $2k a piece. But with that you get a bunch of "entertainment", some okay food and all the booze you can drink. I was given one of these tickets in 2013 and all I ended up with was a loss and a photo with Darren Pritchard and the 1991 cup.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
At those rates Melbourne only need to make the grand final once every four years for my MCC membership to pay off.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ZombieJesus posted:

Gonna loving lol if they get knocked out in the prelim.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
For some years I was a member just so that if the Blues made finals it was easier to get tickets, and on top of that in 2011 or something I paid an extra fee for guaranteed GF tickets, because I was stupidly optimistic.

I don't do that anymore but add that up over the years they don't make the grand final and it's a lot of money. So if like me, you just want to see your team in a grand final one time, a once-off $2K ticket with all that other jazz you get starts to look better value.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thanks for the vote of confidence AFL website

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ZombieJesus posted:

Hope he enjoys the rematch of 1998.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

quote:

Sam McClure ‏@sam_mcclure 19 mins19 minutes ago

Essendon's Jake Melksham off to Melbourne. 4 x 400k deal. Melksham averaging 16 disposals over 114 games.

YUCK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Port have delisted Jarrad Redden. Seems like he's been forced out entirely now that Ryder is there.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Windmill Hut posted:

YUCK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Melbourne making a bad decision, I for one am shocked

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Testekill posted:

Port have delisted Jarrad Redden. Seems like he's been forced out entirely now that Ryder is there.

That and injuries.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

Melbourne making a bad decision, I for one am shocked

Nah, I reckon it'll look like a reasonable deal in a couple of years. It's probably too much money but Melksham is worth persisting with.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Windmill Hut posted:

YUCK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He's YOUR Jake Melksham now :smug:

But no, Melksham has got upsides, he can show great poise and silky skills at times and I reckon he could be a decent tagger too. But dear god his inconsistency. Not really sure if Melbourne is the right environment to help him iron that out, but eh.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

4 loving year deal for someone who averaged 16 disposals, 10 of them uncontested, and 3 clangers a game. gently caress the gently caress off you loving fucks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

"We really need an A Grade midfielder to complete the side"

Nek minit, jake melksham.

Who the gently caress knows how much we are going to loving give Essendon for him as well. Probably our first three picks this year and next.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

"Honestly, after the first year I was just taking the piss and wondered how many people with J in their first names I could get onto the one list. You've got to find ways to amuse yourself when you're in a job like this"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

"Honestly, after the first year I was just taking the piss and wondered how many people with J in their first names I could get onto the one list. You've got to find ways to amuse yourself when you're in a job like this"

You couldn't possibly compete with the Saints in this area.

5 x jacks
2 x Josh
1 x Jimmy
1 x Jarryn
1 x Jason

All but two of those (Josh Saunders and Jason Holmes) are best 22. The Jacks are all amazing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

You couldn't possibly compete with the Saints in this area.

5 x jacks
2 x Josh
1 x Jimmy
1 x Jarryn
1 x Jason

All but two of those (Josh Saunders and Jason Holmes) are best 22. The Jacks are all amazing.

Heppell, Hibberd, Hooker, Hurley, Hocking, Howlet and Hams say hi. Harvey probably wasn't far off coaching them for the remainder of the season when Hird got the arse too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jack * 5
Jeff
James
Jesse
Jeremy
Jayden
Jay
Jordie
Jake
Jimmy

Bolded the guys who are probably best 22

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Jack * 5
Jeff
James
Jesse
Jeremy
Jayden
Jay
Jordie
Jake
Jimmy

Bolded the guys who are probably best 22

I concede defeat. That is truly a masterful collection of J's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We're still waiting for the Gold Coast to surrender Rory Thompspon and GWS to surrender Rory Lobb, because all of the Rorys belong to Adelaide :colbert:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I can't imagine why anyone would think boomer Harvey is a sook when he goes and tells the herald sun who sledged him last week and what they said.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cripps has won the bnf. Murphy second, Tuohy 3rd.

quote:

Young gun Patrick Cripps has capped a breakout season by winning Carlton’s best and fairest - the John Nicholls Medal.

Cripps finished this evening’s count at Crown Palladium on 68 votes, narrowly ahead of captain Marc Murphy (67 votes) and defender Zach Tuohy (64 votes).

The award comes on the back of Cripps finishing runner-up in the NAB AFL Rising Star last week.

Since being recruited to Carlton with a first round selection in the 2013 National Draft, Cripps has played a total of 23 AFL games.

In just his second season of AFL football the 20-year-old has been a standout in the Blues midfield averaging 23.6 disposals and 6.65 clearances. He finished the home and away season ranked 8th overall in the league for contested possessions with an average of 13.7 per game.
2015 John Nicholls Medal Top 10:

1 Patrick Cripps 68 votes
2 Marc Murphy 67 votes
3 Zach Tuohy 64 votes
=4 Tom Bell 57 votes
=4 Ed Curnow 57 votes
6 Sam Docherty 48 votes
7 Kade Simpson 45 votes
8 Andrejs Everitt 37 votes
9 Simon White 35 votes
10 Andrew Carrazzo 23 votes

Other award winners on the night include:

Best First Year Player – Blaine Boekhorst
Best Clubman – Simon White
· The Best Clubman award recognises the significant contribution a player has made to the Carlton Football Club, particularly with his role in the playing group.
Carltonians High Achievement Award – Tom Bell
· The High Achievement Award is presented in recognition of an outstanding season.
Blues Coterie Most Improved – Tom Bell
Inner Blue Ruthless Award – Patrick Cripps
· The Ruthless Award is presented to a player who displays selfless commitment and has a significant influence on the outcome of games.
Spirit of Carlton Award – Ed Curnow
· Presented to the player who encompasses the spirit of the Carlton Football Club on and off the field.
Women of Carlton Player Ambassador Award – Kade Simpson
· The Player Ambassador Award recognises a player who contributes in a significant way to the wider community.
Hyundai MVP Award (voted by the fans) – Patrick Cripps

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The clubs are doing ugly Xmas jumpers, surely the Hawks should have picked Roughead as their model:
http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-2015-clubs-release-ugly-sweater-merchandise-in-club-colours/story-e6frf3e3-1227532104614

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Every club should have their ugliest player modeling them

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

Every club should have their ugliest player modeling them

Essendon's should be Joe Daniher and the jumper is actually just a warped image of his face ala

Your move, 17 other clubs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if we actually come out of this off season giving jake melksham a four year contract and losing brendan mccartney to essendon I think I'm going to turn to drink or just skip that and jump straight into the grave.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

losing brendan mccartney to essendon

Is this actually a thing? I haven't heard anything about it, but I'd very much like to hear about it being a thing.

e: ok apparently this was a thing on the Footy Show. Quick check of Big Footy to see the collective's opinion and it's "Oh god please no, not him!" which is the collective opinion they have on every single possible applicant.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 17, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

Is this actually a thing? I haven't heard anything about it, but I'd very much like to hear about it being a thing.

e: ok apparently this was a thing on the Footy Show. Quick check of Big Footy to see the collective's opinion and it's "Oh god please no, not him!" which is the collective opinion they have on every single possible applicant.

Yeah, rumor is Essendon want him as head coach.

I'm a bit shocked honestly, because to me his time at the bulldogs showed he is a fantastic development coach but not head coach

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, rumor is Essendon want him as head coach.

I'm a bit shocked honestly, because to me his time at the bulldogs showed he is a fantastic development coach but not head coach

Would that not suggest he's a good idea for Essendon?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Man this season isnt even over and Im already excited to see how the Saints go next year with a few new top end recruits and some more preseasons in our kids. Gonna be a long 6 months.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just be glad there isn't a cricket World Cup on this summer to screw around with the footy fixture.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Man this season isnt even over and Im already excited to see how the Saints go next year with a few new top end recruits and some more preseasons in our kids. Gonna be a long 6 months.

The Saints had a few injuries to some of their better young players this year too didn't they?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

I spent the whole day today intentionally avoiding this thread and avoiding any apps that might mention the result of the hawks-crows game, so I could come home and watch it tonight (evening games in Australia happen at around lunchtime for me)... only to realise it's thursday today, not friday. ugh

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence AFL website

also... freo and west coast aren't playing this weekend??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah I'm hopeful our forwards can gel, I think the mids show promise but I'm still worried our backs get overwhelmed too often.

• Locked thread