Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are those two statements related? Are you saying I shouldn't be bitter about TV not being like the old days because at least I'll be able to meet chicks easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GreenNight posted:

Not sure why Tyson is charging so drat much.

"Don't rape me" protection racket.

sbaldrick posted:

Black people did not exist in small Welsh villages in the 1260s. I could pick about the historical issues with the show, but that's one of the worst.

There were black people in England at least as early as the century before that load of old bollocks is set, so it's not out of the question. Just preposterously unlikely in, as you say, a small Welsh village.
Out of interest, what is the tone of the interactions where his skin is mentioned? As lovely as it sounds to say it, I would not put it past Sutter to have a black actor in the programme just so he could keep saying racist things through the mouths of characters. He seemed very fond of that with SoA.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There were black people in England at least as early as the century before that load of old bollocks is set, so it's not out of the question. Just preposterously unlikely in, as you say, a small Welsh village.
Out of interest, what is the tone of the interactions where his skin is mentioned? As lovely as it sounds to say it, I would not put it past Sutter to have a black actor in the programme just so he could keep saying racist things through the mouths of characters. He seemed very fond of that with SoA.
Matthew Rhys' character is a local rebel who meets up with the 7 angry men (Danny Sampani who plays the black dude is one of the 7) who are out for revenge and just killed the dude they were revenging against. Matthew Rhys in hobo costume asks if the black dude is a God's honest Christian and one of the 7 angry men assures him he's a good ol' fightin' Catholic like the rest of them.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

xcore posted:

I really miss the days of week to week Lost theorizing or losing my poo poo every week with my mates during the first two seasons of 24.

Your life sounds really sad

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In my day, we watched one episode per week and talked about each one on the Internet! Not like you binging whippersnappers!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

Black people did not exist in small Welsh villages in the 1260s. I could pick about the historical issues with the show, but that's one of the worst.

Probably not many in 1960.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Moonbeam City was so bad. Soooooo bad.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Steve Yun posted:

I like the art direction; but off that first episode its a lackluster Archer clone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less laughter posted:

Your life sounds really sad

Sounds pretty drat good to me, who gives a poo poo what people enjoy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So did anyone else watch Best Night Ever?

I missed all the promo materials so going in all I knew was that it was a variety show with Neil Patrick Harris.

It appears that NPH misunderstood what a variety show is and instead made a show that's trying to touch all the non-scripted mainstays and ended up with a bizarre train wreck of a hidden camera, karaoke/singing competition, late-night, obstacle course, game show... show.

I just wanted NPH to emcee a show that features stand up comedians, musical guests, and a sketch or two :sigh:

[Edit: and I still want a real motherfucking Muppets variety show too while we're at it! Ugh, it's like this season the networks decided to cocktease people who like variety shows]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 17, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Steve Yun posted:

FetusSlapper posted:

I like the art direction; but off that first episode its a lackluster Archer clone.

I got like 40 seconds further than I did with Chozen - but that was just awful. The art deco style is beautiful, and I really love the colors and the art direction overall - but the show was SO DULL and such an obvious Archer clone, I just shut it off.

It's a shame such a pretty looking show is such a shallow reproduction of a superior (although waning) product.

Boo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I just wanted NPH to emcee a show that features stand up comedians, musical guests, and a sketch or two :sigh:

That's exactly what his Just for Laughs gala was this year and it was great.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The 80s aren't good. Stop remembering them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

I missed all the promo materials so going in all I knew was that it was a variety show with Neil Patrick Harris.

It appears that NPH misunderstood what a variety show is and instead made a show that's trying to touch all the non-scripted mainstays and ended up with a bizarre train wreck of a hidden camera, karaoke/singing competition, late-night, obstacle course, game show... show.

[Edit: and I still want a real motherfucking Muppets variety show too while we're at it! Ugh, it's like this season the networks decided to cocktease people who like variety shows]

I managed to watch about 10 minutes of it before I was so utterly bored that I had to change the channel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Yep. Around the time he started doing hidden camera singing contest poo poo I had decided this probably wasn't going to be a show for me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mu Zeta posted:

I should have linked to the article. It's a really weird process.

https://thewalrus.ca/ron-weasley-made-me-sad/

As someone who is new to the wide world of conventions, thanks for linking the article. It's incredibly eye-opening. I've only been to a handful of them, all relatively smaller local ones around DC, and they strike me as a lot further from that "cattle call" style.

It also explains the look on celebrities' faces and all those hover hands.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched The Bastard Executioner and for being the first impression those FX shots at the very beginning of the episode were shockingly bad. As for the show as a whole, it sure was slow. I'll probably give it at least one more episode since the premier also suffered from Spartacus syndrome where everything was just a set up and the real story starts next week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is from the Montreal Comic-Con FAQ:

quote:

Can i ask the celebrity a question during the photo op session?

In order to avoid any patron being upset we like to point out that you are not buying a "conversation" with the celebrity. On rare occasion a patron will be upset that we must keep the line moving, however please know that our celebrities need to also do their on-stage presentations and sign autographs, generally all in the same day, and they often need to catch a plane or make another engagement. The Photo Op lasts less than 15 seconds.

They will not even talk to you. You get 15 seconds, please proceed to the killing floor.

I've never paid for one myself but I have plenty of friends who have, and the autograph sessions are when you can actually talk to the guests. They're setting their own times, prices etc. so if they want to talk to everyone for a minute instead of knock out 6 autographs in that time they can.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 17, 2015

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

lelandjs posted:

Its not a true Muppet variety show but it does have Muppets and Paul F Thompkins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvSqnLlwnU

As far as PEAK TELEVISION goes, Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead were the only shows currently airing that my friends and I ever cared to watch together, people come over and we watch it on the big screen with pizza and talk over it and we rewind a lot and its a good time. We tried doing that with True Detective but ended up making so much fun of the terrible bits that nobody could follow anything (it was actually better this way) but it didn't really work. We used to do it with Sons of Anarchy before it ended. We've tried doing it with Netflix shows but nobody can resist watching ahead or just plain don't care about the show. I watch a lot of TV (hence posting about TV in TVIV) but don't really share any of it with my friends except broadstrokes partly due to Netflix style binging which I don't always do the weekend it comes out and partly to the DVR phenomenon of not watching it when it comes airs immediately. Things like "I love the way Narcos utilizes actual footage of Pablo and Friends" and "My god the Narcos narrator just won't shut up" as opposed to "holy poo poo that wheelchair guy just blew the gently caress up" and "Gale just got a gun to the face!!!!!! I didn't think he could pull the trigger"

tldr I really like Appointment Television and I don't think there's too much of that left out there.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mrking posted:

tldr I really like Appointment Television and I don't think there's too much of that left out there.

Most appointment television is stuff nerds don't care about and because nerds won the culture wars no one talks about it.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

lelandjs posted:

This show is basically an American version of Ant and Decs Saturday Night Takeaway. Everything about it was lifted wholesale from that show, which was prime time viewing over here on a Saturday night. Shows like that have always been on though, so it doesn't feel out of place having it on the air.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Aphrodite posted:

This is from the Montreal Comic-Con FAQ:

They will not even talk to you. You get 15 seconds, please proceed to the killing floor.

I've never paid for one myself but I have plenty of friends who have, and the autograph sessions are when you can actually talk to the guests. They're setting their own times, prices etc. so if they want to talk to everyone for a minute instead of knock out 6 autographs in that time they can.

This is weird to me because it's so impersonal. I guess if I was ever to have a picture with a celebrity (Not that I would ever go and bother them) then I'd prefer it to be spontaneous or something, or because I've seen them in a bar. Imagine if you have your picture done with one of those guys and told someone the story afterwards, when you say it out loud you sound like such a dick. "Yeah well I had to wait in line for an hour. Oh and I couldn't talk to them. Yeah and I paid $130 for it."

Daedo posted:

This show is basically an American version of Ant and Decs Saturday Night Takeaway. Everything about it was lifted wholesale from that show, which was prime time viewing over here on a Saturday night. Shows like that have always been on though, so it doesn't feel out of place having it on the air.

Yeah I was reading that description then and thought well it sounds like any other variation of Saturday Night TV we've always had. Like panel shows, I'm assuming that it's a weirdly British thing. But then for some reason we've always been big into variety.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daedo posted:

I was kinda surprised to learn that it was lifted wholesale from a British show, but then I realized that people in the US are really only exposed to the "good" stuff, not the dregs.

Re: peak TV chat: there's the same level of crap and mediocre shows, it's just that every channel has greenlit at least one prestige drama, which are usually watchable at worst (unless Kurt Sutter is attached in which case lolno). AMC should probably stop trying and just rerun Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Walking Dead 24/7, their overall ratings would probably improve.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Daedo posted:

Everything about it was lifted wholesale from that show[...] Shows like that have always been on though, so it doesn't feel out of place having it on the air.

These two statements don't contradict one another, but they sure come close. What makes it specifically Ant and Dec and not any one of a hundred shows that have followed that format?
or

lelandjs posted:

I was kinda surprised to learn that it was lifted wholesale from a British show, but then I realized that people in the US are really only exposed to the "good" stuff, not the dregs.

Re: peak TV chat: there's the same level of crap and mediocre shows, it's just that every channel has greenlit at least one prestige drama, which are usually watchable at worst (unless Kurt Sutter is attached in which case lolno). AMC should probably stop trying and just rerun Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Walking Dead 24/7, their overall ratings would probably improve.

Is this something they're outright admitting?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Kaizoku posted:

These two statements don't contradict one another, but they sure come close. What makes it specifically Ant and Dec and not any one of a hundred shows that have followed that format?
or

The segments from the show are literally the exact same as segments from Saturday Night Takeaway. And the two guys standing at the bar at the end of the show with the cocktail throwing/marching band/pogo stick segment? That was Ant and Dec.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, Best Show Ever literally bought the format from the production house for Saturday Night Takeaway. Over here in the UK, SNT is essentially 'let's watch Ant and Dec be Ant and Dec', whatever they're actually doing doesn't ever matter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Daniel Fienberg likes Scream Queens. Of course, this is Ryan Murphy we're talking about, so best to proceed with caution lest we be sucked into the Hellmouth. I'm told Rarity still wakes up in the middle of the night, sob-singing "Don't Stop Believin'."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

Is this something they're outright admitting?
I think a lot of execs at TCA this year pretty much said they were hands-off with creatives after hiring them so yeah, a lot of mediocre shows from people with little to no experience up to people with plenty of it just making stuff that just ends up being slogs because of little or no oversight "because creatives are important". Honestly I think I kinda agree with HuffPo's Maureen Ryan in that if executives are hands off with show creators then what is the point of being an executive? At this point they're more or less letting someone run the show with little or no editors and that's why you get absolutely sluggish and slow shows like The Bastard Executioner (it also flopped hard in the ratings too) or even Netflix originals that meander.

Peak TV might also just mean more TV at this point more than more good TV if that keeps up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Daniel Fienberg likes Scream Queens. Of course, this is Ryan Murphy we're talking about, so best to proceed with caution lest we be sucked into the Hellmouth. I'm told Rarity still wakes up in the middle of the night, sob-singing "Don't Stop Believin'."

"So cold... I'm so... cold!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you can fly anywhere in a balloon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Cheaters peaked when Joey Greco got stabbed by that dude on camera.

Ah man....where were you....when the music died....

quote:

The show's concept from the outset was a mixture of fact and fantasy, but somewhere along the road to national syndication, the temptation to use faux cheaters must have started looking sweet. Actors don't need to be tailed by Gomez for weeks on end. They don't present security risks, and they don't need counseling. They also tend to be younger and better looking than real cheaters, who often will not consent to allow the show to air their faces.

The bogus cheaters interviewed for this story say they've never heard of Goldstein and that Gomez stressed to them never to reveal to Grand or the camera crew that they were acting.

One of the actors, Michelle, met Gomez last fall. "What he told me was that some of the episodes are real, but...a lot of people didn't want to be on the show once they'd been busted, so they would do these ringer episodes to supplement the show," says Michelle, who asked not to be identified by her last name.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/your-cheatin-art-6575042

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

Mo Ryan and Ryan McGee hated it and called Murphy kind of a one trick point and I like them better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

Ah man....where were you....when the music died....

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/your-cheatin-art-6575042

I'd always had my suspicions, but it was still plausibly entertaining. Then there was an episode where upon catching the cheater, his wife slipped away while Joey Greco was shame-interrogating him, and stole the Cheaters van off camera to zoom on screen and run her husband over. That one just broke the show for me.

Oddly I can't find a clip or any evidence of it happening with some googling, but I swear this actually happened. (On the show, I mean, it was almost certainly staged.)

IIRC Tommy Habeeb also had another show after he left Cheaters where he brought peoples' fiancees to crash their bachelor parties and bust in to yell at them while a stripper is on their lap.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 17, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recently my wife got me into Six Feet Under. I'm about halfway through the final season. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, with some standout performances, and a couple stinkers. I must say I am utterly sick of the constant dream sequences as well as red herring death sequences in episode intros. Seeing as how I missed the boat on this show by, oh, about a dozen years, what are people's thoughts of and experiences with the show?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The Midniter posted:

Recently my wife got me into Six Feet Under. I'm about halfway through the final season. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, with some standout performances, and a couple stinkers. I must say I am utterly sick of the constant dream sequences as well as red herring death sequences in episode intros. Seeing as how I missed the boat on this show by, oh, about a dozen years, what are people's thoughts of and experiences with the show?

It's a good show that has one of the best finales.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

loving RIP, the Firewall and Iceberg podcast is ending in 3 episodes.

Any suggestions for replacements?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

loving RIP, the Firewall and Iceberg podcast is ending in 3 episodes.

Any suggestions for replacements?

What happened? Did Dan finally have that massive heartattack we've all been waiting for?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

What happened? Did Dan finally have that massive heartattack we've all been waiting for?
He joined Hollywood Reporter while Alan is still at HitFix so I assume their employers killed it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Speaking of critics, holy poo poo, Andy Greenwald of Grantland just eviscerated the upcoming fall season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Midniter posted:

Still one of my favorites, a bit of the polish has worn off over time and I don't often want to watch it, but every few years I'll rewatch with it in the background and always be engrossed by the end of S1.

And more often, I'll rewatch That's My Dog because that poo poo is unsettling as hell.

• Locked thread