Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"I'm not going to listen to this thing, but let me tell you why I don't like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I mean, that's definitely cool, it doesn't really mean much for me though. There are plenty of professional comedians for example who make lame podcasts and generally if you tell me someone known outside of podcasts is making a podcast that's probably going to make me less interested. I'm more of the type who prefers podcasts from people who aren't comedy writers or professional comedians. Maybe they're best suited in the background writing for other people, to each their own.

Oh my bad, I thought you were against white quirky la nobodies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you were against white quirky la nobodies
Them too, there's a lot of bad podcasting. :shrug: There's only so much time in the day, gotta be selective. It's just not my thing. Not really a big deal.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Guys, guys, quit your squabbling. The #SheetzFreakz finally got their official Sponsorship Package!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXVVYSjFw8

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So apparently they're dressing up in costumes for the live Adventure Zone during the LA Podfest, which actually almost makes me want to buy a stream ticket for it. I'm sure someone will at least take a photo though.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I'm gonna be getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow, so I'm going to be stuck recovering over the weekend... I might actually go for it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm gonna be getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow, so I'm going to be stuck recovering over the weekend... I might actually go for it.

Trip report please.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

For the guy who was surprised by the Flophouse hatred in this thread: the impression I get from the Bad Movie Podcast thread is that its humour, particularly Elliot's, is very 'love it or hate it.' E.g. I heard this bit in the first episode I listened to and instantly fell in love with the show, but could see how it's not for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqxwgRHp07o

Of course, it doesn't help that their ad is essentially just a list of their more memorable bits from their early history, making it much more entertaining to people who are familiar with it. It'd be like a MBMBAM ad that was like "Hey guys, we answers questions about zaaaaany things like... ghosts! and horses! and scott bakula!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Elliot is good.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I've listened to 3 episodes of the flophouse to give it an honest shot and barely made it through. I find those guys so incredibly grating, with such annoying voices, and the fact that 2 of them are professionally funny enough to have worked for the Daily Show was a shock.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I haven't listened to Flophouse but the voice on the long irritating songs guy in the ad makes me want to strangle him to stop it from coming out.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I think all the max fun shows are pretty good but SPY and MBMBAM are without a doubt the standouts. I also love JJGO a lot but that has a fair bit to do with listening continuously to it since episode 20

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whizbang posted:

I haven't listened to Flophouse but the voice on the long irritating songs guy in the ad makes me want to strangle him to stop it from coming out.

It's a very punchable voice.

I'll give the switched up casts a shot, but I'm just as skeptical as anyone.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I think all the max fun shows are pretty good but SPY and MBMBAM are without a doubt the standouts.

I think all in all MBMBaM is better than SPY if only because the early episodes of SPY are nowhere near as funny as their much later (>200) episodes. MBMBaM has no problem being really funny from very early on. I'd also say that Oh No Ross and Carrie is also one of MaxFun's best.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Mbmbam is extremely funny pretty much all the time while Spy is like catching up with my funny charming friends. For a TV analogy I would say Mbmbam is the 30 Rock to Spy's Parks & Rec

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Honestly I don't listen to any non-McElroy podcasts at all. I liked the hosts on Wham Bam Pow well enough but I don't keep up with movies enough to listen to every episode. I like Judge John Hodgman a lot but haven't kept up with it. It's harder to binge through episodes with really only one likeable voice on the show.

I do listen to MonsterTalk but they publish like one episode every four months so that hardly counts.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Travis343 posted:

It's harder to binge through episodes with really only one likeable voice on the show.

Not true, I binged through MBMBaM once :v:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Whizbang posted:

Every goddamn time I hear "a Ziggy comic book movie," I hate him a little more.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I enjoy the Flophouse but they get carried away with their riffs sometimes.

I usually only listen to the flophouse until they finish talking about the movie. I generally don't listen to letters or their recommendations of movies or whatever. Maybe that helps me tolerate them more.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Flophouse... is good.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Drunkboxer posted:

Flophouse... is good.

Yes, this is correct. Yes.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Yeah, Flophouse is honestly one of the best and funniest podcasts on the internet.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hearing people talk about them made me interested in giving them a listen, I like movie podcasts. Hearing their ad made me decide I wasn't interested.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hearing people smack talk the voices of other podcasts in a thread dedicated to a podcast where it sounds like 2 of the hosts are talking through masks made of ham is fuckin ridiculous

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Literally no ads for MaxFun shows sound good at all. I love SPY, but none of their ads have ever been good. Even the ad for the Adventure Zone is only funny if you listen to MBMBaM already, and even then, barely.

The ones I don't listen to are either ones whose concept I have no interest in, or ones that have a host that I know and don't really like. Having people with annoying voices is just adding to it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like very few of the max fun podcasts even have a theme at all. Most of them are just "hopefully funny but usually annoying people talk about random bullshit." like, I could not tell you what Jordan Jesse Go or SPY is "about". I've listened to a few episodes of them and they just seem like directionless banter.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Travis343 posted:

I feel like very few of the max fun podcasts even have a theme at all. Most of them are just "hopefully funny but usually annoying people talk about random bullshit." like, I could not tell you what Jordan Jesse Go or SPY is "about". I've listened to a few episodes of them and they just seem like directionless banter.

They've both mentioned it in previous ads I think, but they were created when podcasting was in its infancy and the 'people talk about humorous stuff' market wasn't so saturated so that's basically what they do. 90% of the time they have a guest, so I like to think of them as super informal interviews.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SPY is about getting to know people, and the things they've heard

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."

Alaois posted:

hearing people smack talk the voices of other podcasts in a thread dedicated to a podcast where it sounds like 2 of the hosts are talking through masks made of ham is fuckin ridiculous

I guess that's part of it for me - Elliott's voice is like a fraction more nasally than any of the McElroy brothers, and it's really not even that over the top. And the Flop House was around for a long time before they switched to MaxFun, and their terrible ad is one in a sea of terrible MaxFun ads. So yeah, Justin sounds like he's made of ham but that's just part of the whole thing. I have room enough in my heart for both groups :)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Who listens to the MaxFun ads anyway, I mean really. So much hatred for ads

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tempo 119 posted:

SPY is about getting to know people, and the things they've heard

Or seen, or deamt.

There was a decently long chain of episodes where it also was somewhat about Hulk Hogan.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Don't forget celebrity birthdays

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Toaster Beef posted:

It's a very punchable voice.

I'll give the switched up casts a shot, but I'm just as skeptical as anyone.

I'm definitely going to hunt down whichever episodes the McElroy's sub for, but I'm less enthusiastic about whoever is taking the reins of MBMBAM... unless it's somehow MSMSAM.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one thing I dont get about adventure zone's 'lore', Griffin keeps alluding that whenever the characters say "belt" or "gauntlet" or whatever, it gets staticed out, but that doesnt really make sense. is the concept of a sash erased from all existence or just this one sash? like I'm pretty sure sashes exist just in general. and gauntlets. it should only static if they say gaia sash or oculus. c'mon griffy

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It only happens whenever they are referring to that specific item. The effect of the voidfish censors what the item is just like it censors what the item does.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when you say 'I'm here for the gauntlet' to mean the magic gently caress off gauntlet it fizzes because you're directly referencing it, but if you just say 'I need a new gauntlet' nothing happens.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Quest For Glory II posted:

one thing I dont get about adventure zone's 'lore', Griffin keeps alluding that whenever the characters say "belt" or "gauntlet" or whatever, it gets staticed out, but that doesnt really make sense. is the concept of a sash erased from all existence or just this one sash? like I'm pretty sure sashes exist just in general. and gauntlets. it should only static if they say gaia sash or oculus. c'mon griffy

I want you all to read this, then re-read it. Then picture the emails the McElroy boys, especially Griffon, get on a daily basis.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I can explain this. You see, when *krrrrrrrssssssshhhhhh* and it's about that simple.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I want you all to read this, then re-read it. Then picture the emails the McElroy boys, especially Griffon, get on a daily basis.

No, you're mistaken, the mystery Fourth McElroy Brother is Jon Snow, not Griffon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh yeah also Elliot from the flophouse sounds like the turtle in a wheelchair from Sly Cooper

• Locked thread