Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thirteenth Step posted:

This is probably going to sound retarded so please hang in there.

Do you guys have any real method for note-taking when answering calls? I repeatedly end up with my notepad FULL OF poo poo all the time because there's no structure to what i'm doing, i'm just scribbling on a A4 notepad and something things get messy and when I come to type this stuff up and actually log it into the help-desk I can't read anything and I pray for death at my desk and then my boss drop-kicks me in the throat.

Anyone got any tips or anything like that for taking decent clear notes that's easy to stick to? I don't use a headset and have just a normal phone so live logging out out of the question and I can't do that thing where you use your shoulder to hold the receiver to your head so that's not an option either really.

I just open up a new email and type into there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

kids suck and never have kids if you want hobbies.

Of all the things I'm never going to do, that's the never-est. There's not enough time in the day as it is.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Of all the things I'm never going to do, that's the never-est. There's not enough time in the day as it is.

I love my children and they are the best thing that I've ever accomplished, but not a day goes by that I don't miss my life before them. Oh, well. Only 18 more years until I'm free! :shepicide:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Thirteenth Step posted:

Do you guys have any real method for note-taking when answering calls? I repeatedly end up with my notepad FULL OF poo poo all the time because there's no structure to what i'm doing, i'm just scribbling on a A4 notepad and something things get messy and when I come to type this stuff up and actually log it into the help-desk I can't read anything and I pray for death at my desk and then my boss drop-kicks me in the throat.

Anyone got any tips or anything like that for taking decent clear notes that's easy to stick to? I don't use a headset and have just a normal phone so live logging out out of the question and I can't do that thing where you use your shoulder to hold the receiver to your head so that's not an option either really.

Get a headset. I used to try the handset only thing, but even just writing on a notepad was a pain, now I use a headset and just either notepad.exe or notepad++ to type in notes and copy and paste from.

Doesn't have to be a $500 wireless headset, a cheap $20 logitech or w/e is needed to plug into your phone if you use a hardphone.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thirteenth Step posted:

A question I can actually help with! (I'm kinda the first responder for calls at our company right now.)

1. First off, if you can use one with your phone, I really do suggest getting a headset. Our office uses physical VoIP phones, but I actually use a softphone on my computer instead so I can use my Sennheiser headset. It's just far more comfortable not only for long phone calls, but short ones that require note-taking as well. Which leads me to...

2. Notepad. Personally, I type far faster than I write, and I can then copy-paste any relevant info into our ticket system which saves time later. Granted, taking notes on an actual piece of paper has less chance of being suddenly lost due to a power outage or slip of the fingers, but I just have a folder in My Documents that I use as a scratchpad for Ctrl-S.

3. Don't hesistate to ask the other party to repeat details for you, or even ask them to give you some time to finish what you're writing so you can respond without having to do two (or more) tasks at a time. Remember, they're calling you for a reason, and in order for you to get a clear understanding of the situation, proper communication is critical. Telling them to (tactfully) shut up for half a minute can sometimes mean the difference between hanging up and simply clicking submit on the ticket, versus shamefully having to call them back for clarification. By the way, before you end a call, a good tactic is to briefly summarize back to them all the notes you've taken, since they (should) be able to point out anything you've missed.

Alternatively, come up with a method to fake bad reception or something and tell them to send in the ticket themselves :cheers:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

MiniFoo posted:

A question I can actually help with! (I'm kinda the first responder for calls at our company right now.)

2. Notepad. Personally, I type far faster than I write, and I can then copy-paste any relevant info into our ticket system which saves time later. Granted, taking notes on an actual piece of paper has less chance of being suddenly lost due to a power outage or slip of the fingers, but I just have a folder in My Documents that I use as a scratchpad for Ctrl-S.

Using notepad++ you don't have to worry about power outage causing you to lose your notes, typically that is why I use it so much, other then the fact is rules for looking at any kind of code.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Alighieri posted:

Using notepad++ you don't have to worry about power outage causing you to lose your notes, typically that is why I use it so much, other then the fact is rules for looking at any kind of code.

That's where I suggest if your company has Microsoft Office on your systems, to try OneNOte as well, and you can even do a full template such that when you create a new subsection it's autopopulated with areas for you to fill in (such as name, email, etc)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
On office 365 can you setup an autoresponder for a shared mailbox? Thinking of a "we received your email" type thing for a shared support box.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ilkhan posted:

On office 365 can you setup an autoresponder for a shared mailbox? Thinking of a "we received your email" type thing for a shared support box.

you can, but it will only ever send one reply ever to each address that mails to it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Can't set a rule for the mailbox to apply to all incoming messages like you used to in Outlook?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I HATE that poo poo. At a past job I was part of a rapidly growing company, they had doubled in size twice in the past year, and worked with a few ex military guys that were cool as a cucumber. No matter how hectic or out of control things got the two ex military guys just kept calm and did their work. Later an upper management guy was commenting to me how our CIO said he didnt like the example they set because they didnt show enough urgency in dealing with things. Like he expected them to get all sweaty and start swearing and furiously typing for show. It was such a load of horsehit. They did their work diligently and were good employees but got passed over for good projects because of the rear end in a top hat CIO's preception of them. He was also the same smug prick that would go around loudly thanking them for their service whenever someone was around who could hear him.

Today was....interesting. Apparently someone ran a GPO that did some bad things to all our vCenter servers (being deliberately vague in both the problem and scope). Fortunately for us we had a complete backup of our vCenter VM and were able to recover what we needed. Our fellow units were not quite so fortunate. My co-worker was getting all worked up over the situation and complained once he'd noticed I'd snagged his CAC card (he wasn't looking for several minutes) that now was not a time to joke around. My response was "did you run the GPO? No? Then what the hell do you care? Our environment is fine - it's everyone else's that's hosed". I then pointed out where I'd set his CAC card with the ransom demand of "We want jelly-filled donuts". It finally took the team lead telling him to stop stressing because a) we didn't do anything wrong, b) we were able to fix our environment, and c) there was nothing we could have done differently no matter what, and getting worked up about it was pointless. Unless I hosed things up I don't stress about things anymore. This, in turn, calms leadership down and keeps them out of our hair. It helps that our Storage guy is so drat knowledgeable and has the exact same attitude.

And speaking about new computers - I just received all the components for a brand-new build. 6-core Intel processor, 16GB of RAM, huge loving GPU, nice new case, all-in-one water cooling system. Going to have fun the next couple days.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is the weird tickets thread too, right? Has anyone ever seen Meraki usage go through the roof after every category goes down? I know it doesn't quite match up a lot of the time, but here everything started going slow, everyone got off everything nonessential, and the usage literally quadrupled after that. There is nothing during that timeframe that is even visible above the axis.

I'm concerned, because I doubt any data that can duck Meraki's categorization (which includes "other") is completely legitimate.

Last page but didn't want this to go without being addressed. I haven't seen this specific problem, but the category reporting is nothing compared to the in-line wireshark capture. Even when category reporting pointed me towards the likeliest cause of a network issue, I always followed it with the packet capture as proof. Don't underestimate it's utility.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A request came in to install this on a new* server. My response was a hearty belly laugh and a one-word reply.

* "New" server is from 2006, so at least newer than their existing one ...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a CRT?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Absolutely! You you don't throw away quality like that just because it's old.

I look forward to gutting that client's entire network infrastructure and starting new

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

and c) there was nothing we could have done differently no matter what, and getting worked up about it was pointless. Unless I hosed things up I don't stress about things anymore.

Ironic that you post this today; we're having issues with an external vendor and our team lead had to go on a bit of a monologue about "there's nothing we can do, external vendors suck, this happens and if your happiness is dependent on them not loving up you're gonna have a bad time" in our morning meeting because people were stressing out about it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh, you can get some pretty killer prebuilts if it's from reputable companies. But there's always that wildcard issue of not knowing exactly what's in it or the company using proprietary parts (I'm looking at you, Dell). Plus, building computers is about as close to a hobby as I get anymore. My $1200 gaming computer has sat there being a media server for the better part of almost two years because kids suck and never have kids if you want hobbies.

One of the handful of computer related things I find enjoyable to putting a computer together. I've been kinda itching to assemble a new machine this fall to take advantage of the new Skylake stuff, but :effort:.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm a big user of OneNote, mostly because I'll have people call me asking about whatever and can just pull it up on my phone/tablet. Notepad(++) is also pretty great, too.

If you're more one to write and have security audits to worry about, I'd recommend checking this out.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

FreshFeesh posted:

A request came in to install this on a new* server. My response was a hearty belly laugh and a one-word reply.

* "New" server is from 2006, so at least newer than their existing one ...

"gently caress you" is two words.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thirteenth Step posted:

OneNote can be really cumbersome to set up and easy to disorganized. I've tried notepad but ended with a digital copy of the notebooks on my desk, unorganized and not going anywhere.

DickTrauma has my preferred solution. Open a new email in Outlook, enter yourself as the recipient, put the date in the subject (or a week range if you're not that busy every day).

While you're taking notes, it's automatically backed up as a draft. If you close outlook or have one document per week and need to log off overnight, just open that draft and continue. When you're done, send the email and drop it in a "call notes" folder.

Now all of your notes are searchable, archived, backed up on the exchange server, and accessible from owa!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OneNote can be really cumbersome to set up and easy to disorganized. I've tried notepad but ended with a digital copy of the notebooks on my desk, unorganized and not going anywhere.

DickTrauma has my preferred solution. Open a new email in Outlook, enter yourself as the recipient, put the date in the subject (or a week range if you're not that busy every day).

While you're taking notes, it's automatically backed up as a draft. If you close outlook or have one document per week and need to log off overnight, just open that draft and continue. When you're done, send the email and drop it in a "call notes" folder.

Now all of your notes are searchable, archived, backed up on the exchange server, and accessible from owa!

Talking note organization in general, I want to use One Note but the program won't let me. Between my notebook becoming corrupted just because, and the so-terrible-it-might-as-well-not-be-in-there custom "tags", I always end up salvaging what I can back into Evernote.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Manager is talking about having a big feature we want developed outsourced to a new team that we've only worked briefly with.

Gee whiz why wouldn't you rather have your in-house team develop the foundational stuff than the outsourced team? Oh, because its easier to spec to them since its a large chunk as opposed to a bunch of bug fixes that we have to explain?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. The time you save now by doing that will be paid with an interest of pain later. It's a bad idea. Have the in-house team develop the big features. Especxially since we've only worked with them once, so we don't have a good thing in place. I can't believe how stereo-typically managerial this is of him. At our morning scrums I'm going to, until he relents, that its a bad idea and makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe I'll lay off for a bit, but I gotta fuckin steer this to where I think sanity lies. His reasoning is so lazy too "it will take more time to explain a bunch of little things than just one big thing" - like, yea you are technically right but its super short sighted and also whooo caaaaaaares. It won't take THAT much longer so chill out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

teamdest posted:

He says on a comedy forum that has been investigated by the secret service twice.

Lets not forget the number of times we have had military secrets spilled here(at least 3, iirc)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Building a NAS is not a big deal. I3 cpu, ecc ram, lsi9211 / m1015 (flashed to IT mode) from eBay and some WD Red or hgst nas drives depending on your needs. I run 10x4 tb drives in RAID6 in an old P182 case with Debian and plex, works a treat.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I love my children and they are the best thing that I've ever accomplished, but not a day goes by that I don't miss my life before them. Oh, well. Only 18 more years until I'm free! :shepicide:

I've been there myself. Now they're getting older and I don't have to pick them up after school any more. Sure they still need a packed lunch and to be driven to random sporting events but they'll bike to school after Mrs. Crowley and I left for work, and they'll bike back home when school is out. It's not all treadmill-until-18.

Plus, Despite his objections I'm teaching the oldest to use the lawnmower, and the little one empties the dishwasher. :haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

Plus, Despite his objections I'm teaching the oldest to use the lawnmower, and the little one empties the dishwasher. :haw:
You have a manual reel mower, right?

"It builds character."

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

You have a manual reel mower, right?

"It builds character."

lol

It's motorized but it's a push-mower, not the old spinning-cylinder type.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Crowley posted:

Lawn care is the only break I get from the rest of my life, and I will never give it up, but the second the oldest can learn to scoop cat litter I'll do a dance up and down the street.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

lol

It's motorized but it's a push-mower, not the old spinning-cylinder type.
I grew up with a reel mower, and I blame it for my basic interest in mechanics.. It was such a rusty piece of poo poo that I eventually took it on myself to take it apart, clean the rust off, sharpen the drum and lube the gearbox properly. Mowing became much easier after that.

Then my dad bought an electric mower and managed to run over the cable three times in the first summer, which I tease him endlessly about. I kept using the reel mower until I moved out, and I'm going to inherit it from him once I get a house with a lawn of my own.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I grew up with a reel mower, and I blame it for my basic interest in mechanics.. It was such a rusty piece of poo poo that I eventually took it on myself to take it apart, clean the rust off, sharpen the drum and lube the gearbox properly. Mowing became much easier after that.

Aahh memories of mounting the old mower's engine on my home made go-cart. :3:

Edit: A call came in from a vendor of online-solutions we've been having huge problems with. They take full responsibility for their services not running since the start of the school year, and are willing to come to a meeting with the school headmasters and their boss to explain what went wrong. IT is off the hook for "horrible service" and "Why can't you just make it WORK? It works at %other municipality!". It'll be fun to watch certain headmasters eat their words.
:viggo:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 17, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Only 18 more years until I'm free! :shepicide:

You poor dumb soon of a bitch :unsmigghh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wibla posted:

Building a NAS is not a big deal. I3 cpu, ecc ram, lsi9211 / m1015 (flashed to IT mode) from eBay and some WD Red or hgst nas drives depending on your needs. I run 10x4 tb drives in RAID6 in an old P182 case with Debian and plex, works a treat.

I usually don't whitebox my nas's for the same reasons I don't whitebox anything really. The extra money is worth the hassles of having warranties and service.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I still don't completely understand why people who are technically competent buy a NAS vs building one themselves for probably $200-300 ish. Weren't people using those Lenovo TS140's for a while, and getting better performance/easier setup than synology/qnap?

Scott Alan Miller don't try to sell your SAM-SD's here.

And the answer to your question is "Support". If the array/array software shits the bed and I'm on *PICK YOUR FAVORITE NAS VENDOR* the onus is on them to repair it. If I rolled my own cheapo nas I probably have hardware support and that's it.

That and there's not enough time in the day for me to become an expert in whatever freenas software is laying around.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 17, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Crowley posted:

I've been there myself. Now they're getting older and I don't have to pick them up after school any more. Sure they still need a packed lunch and to be driven to random sporting events but they'll bike to school after Mrs. Crowley and I left for work, and they'll bike back home when school is out. It's not all treadmill-until-18.

According to my parents my teenage years through college years were pretty easy, especially the college years. The only reason you knew I was in the house was food would go missing. At that point their professional careers were more freedom limiting than me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm a OneNote user for note-taking during helpdesk days. I have a "work" notebook with meetings, helpdesk, and misc tabs with a page for each helpdesk day / meeting / whatever. I love that I can pull it up on my phone, iPad, laptops, anything. I use it with my personal Surface Pro 3 to write things, or my Dell XT3 at work during meetings. It's everywhere and works well for me. It'll transcribe my scrawlings, and everything's searchable.

edit : vvv yup. those features too. vvv

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 17, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

I'm a OneNote user for note-taking during helpdesk days. I have a "work" notebook with meetings, helpdesk, and misc tabs with a page for each helpdesk day / meeting / whatever. I love that I can pull it up on my phone, iPad, laptops, anything. I use it with my personal Surface Pro 3 to write things, or my Dell XT3 at work during meetings. It's everywhere and works well for me. It'll transcribe my scrawlings, and everything's searchable.

Plus cross-notebook searches, plus handwtiring recognition, plus you can just C+P any image into a note, plus you can snap a picture with Office Lens and have it scaled correctly and auto-inserted into a note, plus...

I love OneNote

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I use Evernote personally so that I can take notes when I'm walking around with the client on my phone and then have it on my computer.

I'm a scrub and don't have a tablet so my phone it is :smith:

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
One of our Unitrends appliances failed to install an update. Can't get it to install, and backups failed last night.

I'm on the phone with support. The guy is looking at some poo poo through a support tunnel, says "Eeww," then asks me to hold. This makes me feel good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nerdrock posted:

edit : vvv yup. those features too. vvv

Oh poo poo, maybe I should look into Onenote again. I was using it awhile ago when I was in a Windows environment, but when I moved to a Mac shop I had to find alternatives. If they've gone cross-platform proper that'd be extremely potentially alluring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Then my dad bought an electric mower and managed to run over the cable three times in the first summer

...these are a thing? :raise:

• Locked thread