Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Just some anecdotal evidence but my AirPlay performance went from bad/spotty to nearly flawless when I got an AirPort Extreme.

Me too. Had a pretty good link sys n-class router and moved up to the Airport Extreme AC and everything works like it is supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mahoning posted:

Just some anecdotal evidence but my AirPlay performance went from bad/spotty to nearly flawless when I got an AirPort Extreme.

I am not sure what voodoo Apple is using, but AirPort Extreme + AirPlay is about perfect, while with other routers it wasn't even worth using.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My own anecodal experience tells me I've never had an issue with AirPlay and I don't have an Airport. I've used a couple of different routers with no issue.

Xabi posted:

If you're just gonna be using the Apple TV for Airplay and Netflix etc. is there really any point in buying the new one? I have no interest in games, Siri, touch remote or Apple Music (I think).

Probably not. However, having used an ATV for years now, the sheer usefulness of having Siri to fill in search fields is probably worth it on its own. Nothing worse than all that clicking across a screen keyboard.

Also, it sounds like most of the major devs with media apps (Plex, Sling, etc) are interested in the new TVos app store so the new box will likely emerge as a more useful box in the long run, even if you aren't interested in games.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xabi posted:

If you're just gonna be using the Apple TV for Airplay and Netflix etc. is there really any point in buying the new one? I have no interest in games, Siri, touch remote or Apple Music (I think).
AirPlay can be kind of a crap show in a lot of apps, though - versus a dedicated app. I think it's getting an update in iOS 9 or something? Other than that and the remote, there's no killer feature to tide you over.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LaserWash posted:

Me too. Had a pretty good link sys n-class router and moved up to the Airport Extreme AC and everything works like it is supposed to.

No, you didn't. Linksys has sucked for YEARS. There is no magic in the Airport Extreme except its not an under-powered turd with terrible firmware on it. Chances are you went to a device with more capacity (MIMO, AC) and some of your devices are probably using 5Ghz AC instead of everything riding on the already super congested 2.4Ghz bands.

Edit :

Here's a quick little course on wireless.

Only one device can talk at a time on the same frequency, if you live in a congested area (lots of wifi AP's visible), chances are you are competing with others and the rule applies here as well, only one device can talk at a time (no matter if its using your AP or a neighbors AP). If the old access point/router was not MIMO capable and the new one is (the Airport is) it will allow faster throughput to the device it's currently talking to, meaning that the faster it can get off the band the faster the next one can talk.

If your ATV is wireless, it is using the 2.4Ghz band as there is no 5Ghz radio on it. If you were using the 2.4Ghz for the device streaming to the ATV but now use the 5Ghz band for it you have removed congestion from the 2.4Ghz band. Now, if you moved the device streaming to the ATV to the 5Ghz band, you have 1) More capacity 2) The ability for the device on the 2.4Ghz band to talk to the device on the 5Ghz band at the same time, because they are different frequencies.

Depending on your setup the variables will be different, but keeping in mind the "only one device can talk at the same time on the same band" rule is the best thing to keep in mind. If you can hardwire the ATV you will get better performance as well.

Anywho .. just a quickie.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 16, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Amazon just hit back pretty hard against the new Apple TV.

The new Fire TV does 4k, Siri-esque voice search, 802.11ac MIMO wifi, HEVC decoding, MAYDAY tech support help for your beloved elders, and it has a microSD slot (for up to 128gb), plus the game controller has a headphone jack!!!!!!!!!!!! (They should have put that in the regular remote, too. It's seriously the biggest feature imo)

All that for only $100.

It's honestly pretty tempting, but I'll probably still get the Apple TV because of airplay, iTunes, and the fact that developers will always favor iOS over Android so it will probably have a better app selection eventually. This probably makes me a sucker.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bass Bottles posted:

Amazon just hit back pretty hard against the new Apple TV.

The new Fire TV does 4k, Siri-esque voice search, 802.11ac MIMO wifi, HEVC decoding, MAYDAY tech support help for your beloved elders, and it has a microSD slot (for up to 128gb), plus the game controller has a headphone jack!!!!!!!!!!!! (They should have put that in the regular remote, too. It's seriously the biggest feature imo)

All that for only $100.

It's honestly pretty tempting, but I'll probably still get the Apple TV because of airplay, iTunes, and the fact that developers will always favor iOS over Android so it will probably have a better app selection eventually. This probably makes me a sucker.

Sucker.

But for real don't buy this for what you imagine it might become, buy whatever suits your current needs, which may also be an ATV3 and/or Chromecast. This really feels like a second stab at a 1st gen Apple Product than a refresh to the line of Apple TV's they had before, and we all know never to buy 1st gen Apple products. Unless you're trying to play games, in which case see my first statement.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I actually wouldn't buy either any time soon because my ATV3 works fine, but eventually I'll probably want a device with an actual App Store.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bass Bottles posted:

I actually wouldn't buy either any time soon because my ATV3 works fine, but eventually I'll probably want a device with an actual App Store.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Until some killer app shows up, I don't see much of a need to upgrade. I really just wanted to call you sucker, then figured might as well justify it a bit further. Otherwise it just seems mean!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Does the firestick do airplay? Otherwise it's worthless (owns a firestick)

Also when will we be able to preorder the ATV4 already

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MickRaider posted:

Does the firestick do airplay? Otherwise it's worthless (owns a firestick)

Also when will we be able to preorder the ATV4 already

Only Apple devices and products that have been licensed by Apple (Yamaha receivers, etc) can officially use AirPlay. It's an Apple thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Only Apple devices and products that have been licensed by Apple (Yamaha receivers, etc) can officially use AirPlay. It's an Apple thing.

I think the question was more "do they do the same thing as Airplay?" Can they stream display and/or content from a computer or smart phone?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thrawn527 posted:

I think the question was more "do they do the same thing as Airplay?" Can they stream display and/or content from a computer or smart phone?

Yes, but not well. (miracast)

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

thrawn527 posted:

Yes it was. Everyone talks about how great other players are but they don't have the best feature that apple devices have.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yes, but not well. (miracast)
how not well?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MickRaider posted:

how not well?

I've never been able to get Miracast working the way it's suppose to. Every receiver I buy has some type of issue (lag, macroblocking, dropped audio, the inability to play video, etc)

But my dad can use it just fine with his Android phone at his house so :shrug:

(if you want to try it on your fire tv stick, hold down the home button and select 'mirroring' - most android phones support it)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

Thwomp posted:

Also, it sounds like most of the major devs with media apps (Plex, Sling, etc) are interested in the new TVos app store so the new box will likely emerge as a more useful box in the long run, even if you aren't interested in games.
I think that's the biggest thing to watch for with the apps if you don't care for games and the other crap they showed, the possibilities for just media playback open up quite a bit because of it.

But at this point it's still just possibilities. I don't have a pressing need for one so I'll probably do like I did with the previous ATV and just wait for refurbs to show up and save some money.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Every single time I have used Miracast (on a number of devices) it sucks. AirPlay while it has had some little issues here and there, has been great.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I paid like 200 Amazon coins (:wtc:) for some AirPlay app on my FireTV and it occasionally works fine, sometimes not :iiam:

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
I have a fire stick and the UI is so awful and laggy. Is the fire tv just as bad? Stick was super cheap, which is why I bought it for my bedroom tv, but I wouldn't buy it again.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I have both and the Fire TV doesn't have any of the lag the stick does. It's all very fluid and pretty slick. Stick is used in the bedroom as well, otherwise I would have returned it, because it's really no fun to use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlexF posted:

I have both and the Fire TV doesn't have any of the lag the stick does. It's all very fluid and pretty slick. Stick is used in the bedroom as well, otherwise I would have returned it, because it's really no fun to use.

Replace the stick with a Chromecast. It'll be completely worth the $30.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I have that as well (from before Amazon released their TV stuff) and it works well but I like not having to touch my phone when I want to watch something before sleeping so the stick stays...for now!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The news of a Plex app being developed for this makes me wonder if it's time for me to digitise my Blu-Ray and DVD catalogue.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there somewhere that says all the formats the new AppleTV can output? I used my TiVo Roamio for Netflix tonight for the first time instead of my AppleTV2 because the ATV has been really flaky and reboot-y lately. I was surprised to see that the TiVo outputs Dolby Digital Plus, which I didn't even know was a thing. Does new AppleTV support this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there somewhere that says all the formats the new AppleTV can output? I used my TiVo Roamio for Netflix tonight for the first time instead of my AppleTV2 because the ATV has been really flaky and reboot-y lately. I was surprised to see that the TiVo outputs Dolby Digital Plus, which I didn't even know was a thing. Does new AppleTV support this?
It's got pretty crappy surround output, but I can't remember the specifics. I'd assume no, because I was wondering something similar at the time. On top of 4K and HEVC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If only there were a website you could look at with official tech specs that might tell you that sort of thing.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Apple banned iFixit's developer account for posting a tear-down of the new AppleTV.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/30/apple-bans-ifixit-developer-account-apple-tv/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good. gently caress anyone violating the NDA on developer units.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Good. gently caress anyone violating the NDA on developer units.

It makes little sense to me that Apple just did a random giveaway of these units to folks that may not ever develop for them. I see no reason for an iFixit ATV app, but something like Plex should absolutely get one because they have obvious interest in this as well as game devs, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be honest I'd rather have a fair shot at being considered for a dev unit than having Apple guess that I'm ineligible because I haven't developed something that would "fit" on an AppleTV before. I think what they did was pretty fair.

Also maybe this is just my cynical view but I don't think Apple sees it to be in their best interests to help Plex establish themselves on the AppleTV. I mean they will regardless, but essentially it's just another media player that gives people options other than iTunes/Netflix. There's really no reason to help them from a business perspective other than goodwill, which would have been nice but whatever.

Speaking of Plex -- your days are numbered, living room roku :argh:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Martytoof posted:

To be honest I'd rather have a fair shot at being considered for a dev unit than having Apple guess that I'm ineligible because I haven't developed something that would "fit" on an AppleTV before. I think what they did was pretty fair.

Also maybe this is just my cynical view but I don't think Apple sees it to be in their best interests to help Plex establish themselves on the AppleTV. I mean they will regardless, but essentially it's just another media player that gives people options other than iTunes/Netflix. There's really no reason to help them from a business perspective other than goodwill, which would have been nice but whatever.

Speaking of Plex -- your days are numbered, living room roku :argh:

Giving the Apple TV an App Store in general is sort of a strike against iTunes, but so was Apple Music. They know iTunes' days are numbered.

They're still primarily a hardware company, though, so if people choose to use Plex on an Apple TV instead of a Fire TV that's a win for them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I suppose that's true. At any rate, I'm just happy it's coming :haw:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've been walking around with an iPhone 6S since launch day, and while it's awesome and probably the best phone I've ever owned, I'm may more excited about the new appletv.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Amazon to stop selling Apple TV (and Chromecast) because those don't run Amazon Prime streaming.

http://www.imore.com/amazon-reportedly-plans-stop-selling-apple-tv

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if an Instant Video app is pushed through the TV App Store that Amazon will relist it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Amazon to stop selling Apple TV (and Chromecast) because Amazon refuses to make their content available on them.

Hell, even a month ago they could've lied and claimed the hold up was on Apple's end, but this is the exact type of practices that ensured iTunes would be the garbage that it is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Hell, even a month ago they could've lied and claimed the hold up was on Apple's end, but this is the exact type of practices that ensured iTunes would be the garbage that it is.

I'm having trouble parsing this

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wonder if they will keep selling them in markets where Amazon Prime streaming doesn't exist (Canada)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they could just make their own app for the app store, right? Is that statement saying any app they've written hasn't been working all that well? Do they think Apple is intentionally throttling just them? Are they just bad at making apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe Apple rejected it. They have a history of rejecting apps that "copy the functionality of official Apple apps" or something.

I'm really curious to see if the new Apple TV allows stuff like Vudu or Amazon. They already allow Google video (through YouTube).

• Locked thread