Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
On the Social Security means testing thing... Isn't that just something that would have no significant effect but is championed by republicans because it makes them seem sort of compassionate while making Social Security more of an actual tax that they can rail against and try to get rid of completely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

This just might be the dumbest political ad ever made.

What's next, "He kept New Orleans dry"?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sardonik posted:

Jeb! You unbelievable glorious idiot. Everything about this is terrible. "He kept us safe" sounds something a victim of an abusive relationship would say.

If you've ever read Finder by Carla Speed McNeil, this is literally what the abusive husband in that series did -- he gaslighted his own family into isolation and confinement by telling them repeatedly how dangerous the outside world was and how the husband was the only one keeping his family safe from the horrors out there.

I really recommend the books, btw

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Bung Dan ‏@swarthyvillain 21m21 minutes ago

@JebBush thats a picture of him at a place he didn't keep safe pal

lmao

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He gave the most appealing possible answer to that question, I thought. Nobody reasonable can argue with "well, you paid in, so if you want your money back you should get it... but do you really need it, I mean come on."

I've brought it up a few times since Trump did that because it's really important in a subtle way. Applying means-testing to Social Security would be the first step toward framing Social Security as a welfare program. After that's done, it could be painted as a program for leeches and welfare-queens, and treated as poorly as most social welfare programs are currently treated by Republicans. By refusing to say he wants means-testing, it's a tell that he's aware of that and doesn't want that to happen. It's one of the tells of Trump's true beliefs that makes me super extremely curious what he would start saying if he had to pivot his message for a general election.

NotWearingPants posted:

On the Social Security means testing thing... Isn't that just something that would have no significant effect but is championed by republicans because it makes them seem sort of compassionate while making Social Security more of an actual tax that they can rail against and try to get rid of completely?

My response covers this as well. Means-testing Social Security would be a back-door way of eventually crippling it.

XK fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 17, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Holy poo poo, I thought someone made that add to make fun of James Ellis Bush Bush.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

lol @ all the comments

absolutely nobody is buying this poo poo

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

That's a photoshop though, right?

100% true

Next he will be saying W kept New Orleans dry

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the highlight is definitely bush demanding an apology, trump just saying no, and jeb dropping it immediately. and then being super excited to high five trump later and joking around about their cool nicknames. its kind of amazing how much trump just dominates everybody else on stage, only one that managed to stand up to him was carly

i wonder how guys like nixon, reagan, bush sr, etc would have done debating with trump.

Bush Sr. was awkward as hell on the campaign trail in ways that resemble Jeb more than W. Does anyone remember his response to the question of what he thought about when his plane was shot down in WW2?

"You go back to your fundamental values. I thought about Mom and Dad and the strength I got from them. I thought about God and the separation of church and state."

The separation of Church and State is what anyone would think of while plummeting into the Pacific Ocean.

Nixon would have Trump murdered and frame the Chinese.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

where can I get some of that superweed that killed Carly's kid?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you had told me earlier that, at a republican debate, a candidate would simultaneously acknowledge Andrew Jackson as a horrible person AND angle for putting -anyone- from the civil rights movement on our money, i'd have called you crazy.

God bless Trump.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zen death robot posted:

Hahhaa holy poo poo I didn't expect Jeb! to run full steam ahead by holding up his brother as an example to follow.

This is legit one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time, and Jeb! gets exactly what he deserves if he takes this and runs with it. I thought he was supposed to be the smart brother?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Riosan posted:

This is legit one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time, and Jeb! gets exactly what he deserves if he takes this and runs with it. I thought he was supposed to be the smart brother?

Does Rudy Giuliani have a brother

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Narciss posted:

Then it'd just be Moot

Finally Hatsune no Miku will be on ten dollar bill.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kurt_Cobain posted:

The Thatcher on the 10 line should be driving the nwo illuminati people crazy right about now.

Nothing yet, but they'll probably get to it.

CNN’s three-hour debate from hell

GOP Debate Post-Mortem: Trump Top, Fiorina Flourish, Carson Crumbles

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wow Jeb is tone deaf I thought it was fake. I understand him not getting how much people hate his bro because its not happening in the family and friends sphere but he has to at least be aware of how people feel about what could be considered one of the worst administrations ever.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nah, he means his brother kept "us", the Bush clan, safe. From prosecution, I presume.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Just for good measure, someone queue up the clip of Rumsfeld explaining to soldiers why they can't have adequate armour in a war zone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Totalizator posted:

RNC hires a hispanic assasin before the convention when Trump's victory seems inevitable, tries to frame the cartels.

This would obviously backfire. If they didn't succeed in killing him, Trump wouldn't shut up about how the cartels are terrified of him and his yooge wall.

If they succeeded, Trump would be a martyr.

Which is to say the RNC is definitely going to try this.

Xenophon posted:

Cruz's new schtick is an ad comparing ISIS to scorpions. I'm not sure why he thinks scorpions "seek out destruction."

If this is the first step in creating a real life Brotherhood of NOD, I'm all for it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TheTatteredKing posted:

Wow Jeb is tone deaf I thought it was fake. I understand him not getting how much people hate his bro because its not happening in the family and friends sphere but he has to at least be aware of how people feel about what could be considered one of the worst administrations ever.

George W. Bush has a pretty high favorability rating at the moment, I don't think it's particularly dumb to bring him up a bit as long as it's not enough to get peoples memories churning about stuff like Iraq, Katrina or the economic collapse. People don't hate him like they did when he left office. Also, very few Americans blame Bush for 9/11 and most view him as handling it very well, especially among the Republican base Jeb is trying to get support from.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
They will if Jeb! keeps bringing him up in debates

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Someone posted pictures of Rand Paul with his 14.5% flat tax plan. I didn't realise that was real- I thought that was someone taking a poo poo on him by photoshopping him into some Steve Forbes campaign stuff.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DaveWoo posted:

lol @ all the comments

Is this getting any traction outside of Twitter? I remember during all of the 00's, it was absolutely sacrilege to say he didn't keep us safe on 9/11, it was bizarre. It seems like here, 14 years later, people are finally allowed to say "No, he hosed up pretty hardcore."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

George W. Bush has a pretty high favorability rating at the moment, I don't think it's particularly dumb to bring him up a bit as long as it's not enough to get peoples memories churning about stuff like Iraq, Katrina or the economic collapse. People don't hate him like they did when he left office. Also, very few Americans blame Bush for 9/11 and most view him as handling it very well, especially among the Republican base Jeb is trying to get support from.

I didn't realize his approval improved. But then insane tribalism is on the uptick and he's not Obama

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

TheTatteredKing posted:

I didn't realize his approval improved. But then insane tribalism is on the uptick and he's not Obama

Every previous president gets a nostalgia boost. When the economy is bad you look back and think maybe it was better. If the economy is good, it's hard for you to hate the old guy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Just a guess, but the fact that there were no major terrorist attacks after 9/11 (and people started paying attention to terrorism) is probably the reason.

Also, the only person who I've ever heard say it is Jeb, and he's probably just jealous.

Dick Cheney says it regularly.

quote:

The usual Republican line is that Bush and Cheney “kept us safe,” full stop. The “he kept us safe” line has always been slightly tricky owing to the fact that foreign terrorist attacks killed more Americans during the Bush administration than every other presidency in history combined. The easiest way to handle this tiny fly in the ointment (and the related problems of Bush ignoring serious warnings of imminent attacks) is to pretend it never happened. To wit, Jeb Bush yesterday defended his brother’s administration like so: “Well, the successes clearly are protecting the homeland. We were under attack, and he brought — he unified the country and he showed dogged determination. And he kept us safe.

In 2013, Cheney altered the boast somewhat, to castigate the Obama administration for having been caught by surprise by the attacks at Benghazi. “When we were there, on our watch, we were always ready on 9/11, on the anniversary,” he scolded. Cheney was about to insist that the Bush administration had been prepared to stop a terrorist attack on every 9/11, then realized that there was that one huge exception, so he changed it slightly. Under their watch, Americans enjoyed seven terrorism-free September 11s out of eight.

The Republican party has basically retconned 9/11 as having happened while Bill Clinton was President.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
We're in a bubble here, is there any reliable accounting of the general reaction to the idea that "bush kept us safe"?

I don't even think you should (or can) pin it on any one person not named Bin Laden, but to say Bush was blameless and did everything right is a whole other ballpark.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Bush knocked down the towers

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

quote:

Fox News' Bill Hemmer tried to get to the bottom of it when he debriefed with the former Florida governor Thursday morning on "America's Newsroom."

"Were you looking for someone?" Hemmer asked. "Or were you looking to be a little taller than the guy there at your right?"

Bush stood next to his chief rival, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump, in the photo. But he insisted that he just made himself taller to catch his wife's eye out in the audience.

"I was looking over to the press to see where my wife was sitting because she's the love of my life and just I need to have eye contact with her before we started," Bush explained. "You've been married 42 years that's the kind of thing you do."

:rolleyes:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Nah, he means his brother kept "us", the Bush clan, safe. From prosecution, I presume.

He was seriously probably like "But everyone clapped when I said it during the debate, so the people will love it in image form, too!" and then yep.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

:allears:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Joementum posted:

Dick Cheney says it regularly.

The Republican party has basically retconned 9/11 as having happened while Bill Clinton was President.

And that idiot Obama with the mission accomplished banner on the aircraft carrier

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DaveWoo posted:

lol @ all the comments

lol matt bors even drew a one panel for it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's probably the same phenomenon that shows in polls that 20ish % of people think Obama was President when the market crashed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The debate had 23 million TV viewers and 4.5 million streaming viewers. Prior to last night, the most watched CNN program of all time was a Larry King Live show in 1993 with Ross Perot and Al Gore that got 16.8 million viewers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Bush Sr. was awkward as hell on the campaign trail in ways that resemble Jeb more than W. Does anyone remember his response to the question of what he thought about when his plane was shot down in WW2?

"You go back to your fundamental values. I thought about Mom and Dad and the strength I got from them. I thought about God and the separation of church and state."

The separation of Church and State is what anyone would think of while plummeting into the Pacific Ocean.

Nixon would have Trump murdered and frame the Chinese.

Jesus, he even had a good answer, even if it was slightly stilted and awkward. Then he goes off on the separation of church and state.

Even if Jeb possesses more book smarts than big brother, he sure as hell isn't a tenth of the politician. He is his father in miniature--aloof, patrician, and just so over this "appeal to the plebs for their support" thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

What happened with Trump's request that CNN donate all profits from the debate to charity?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol matt bors even drew a one panel for it

Where? Where?!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
https://vine.co/v/eUg9teiBPa5

Adbot