Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Edit: I guess I was wrong about when the errata was issued. I thought it was today, but I guess it was earlier which means we definitely played it wrong

I think the errata belongs on the Ion Token card rather than as a clarification to Conner Nets. The Ion Token rules should state that if you have a dial already assigned before the ionization happens that the dial holds and the tokens remain, because as it is the clarification contradicts the actual ion rules which don't specify that the dial matters. Or maybe just say that the check for ionization only happens at the start of the turn, since it doesn't really specify ionization as a state that is checked at any single point.

Edit 2: FFG needs to hire more rules lawyers to check things instead of saying "wait we meant it to work this way even though it contradicts rules"

in any case I'll have to be more careful around bombers

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Did I just fall into a trap where I assumed FFG writes tight, precise rules that state exactly the designer's intent behind how things function?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

BattleMaster posted:

Did I just fall into a trap where I assumed FFG writes tight, precise rules that state exactly the designer's intent behind how things function?

Yeah.

If Age of Sigmar rules are 1 (least helpful and poorly explained) and Warmachine/Hordes are 8 -9 on tbe well explained and consistent rules, Xwing is probably a 4-5.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't play a large variety of hobby games, but I played Magic a while ago and you could follow the card text like programming code. I need to get in the mindset that most people don't do it like that :sweatdrop:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

Nah, I'm right there with you. But VASSAL is painful enough as is. But maybe you'll find out!

I'm going to run a PbP game. Kai is in, because he's inured to my horrible posts at this point. Who else will enter Thunderdome?

Have I ever told you that you're the wind beneath my (X-)wings?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Nah, I'm right there with you. But VASSAL is painful enough as is. But maybe you'll find out!

I'm going to run a PbP game. Kai is in, because he's inured to my horrible posts at this point. Who else will enter Thunderdome?

uhhh, red 2 standing by?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd be down.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So, a furball game in PbP? I'm interested, though based on my experience with PbP, and how x-wing works this is going to be pretty slow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

kingcom posted:

uhhh, red 2 standing by?

Kai Tave posted:

Have I ever told you that you're the wind beneath my (X-)wings?

The PM system on this board sucks, so send me your lists at xwingpbp via gmail. That will also be the place to send your moves. Standard 3x3 board, 100 points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can I get in on that? Not necessarily that exact game, but I figure it's better to clarify before I start sending random-rear end emails.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Can I get in on that? Not necessarily that exact game, but I figure it's better to clarify before I start sending random-rear end emails.

Yeah you take my place for the first game ! I'm happy to see how this plays out first :p

Unless we want to do that co-op campaign thing.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

kingcom posted:

Yeah you take my place for the first game ! I'm happy to see how this plays out first :p

Unless we want to do that co-op campaign thing.

Do the three-player scenario from the IG-2000 box.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Someone posted what was essentially the vassal x-wing module running in a browser. Any ideas where I can find this? Thanks.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Me vs Strobe? Well we can't BOTH fly X-Wings.

OR CAN WE?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

grassy gnoll posted:

I normally ask that people buy me dinner before they fist me, y'know.

How bad of gimmick idea is 5x Alpha with Autothrusters? My friend keeps buying interceptors and I keep trying to think of things to do with them.

Hello kindred spirit

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I am going to run one game to start. If someone else wants to run one concurrently, be my guest. But until I have a firm grasp on using vassal, I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

Worst case I'll just make a general recruit thread tomorrow and we'll figure it out from there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We started doing epic games at my flgs. Apparently the raider is really good but good god do i hate flying most imperial ships in epic.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

I am going to run one game to start. If someone else wants to run one concurrently, be my guest. But until I have a firm grasp on using vassal, I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

Worst case I'll just make a general recruit thread tomorrow and we'll figure it out from there.

I can walk you through vassal. It's unintuitive as hell at first but once you spend like 30 minutes with it, it's fine.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I imagine the planning/activation phase going very smoothly PbP, but the shooting phase must be a nightmare.

Edit: I guess the coop would be easier as the enemy has ai.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to the local league tonight to try and get some practice games in.

These are the expansions I have:

Original Core Set

X-wing
2x B-Wing
YT-2400

TIE Interceptor
TIE Punisher
TIE Bomber
Firespray

I'm pretty sure they don't care about printed lists so not having a lot of upgrade cards is fine but I don't want to proxy pilots. Are there any cool/fun lists that I can pull from this? I've made a couple lists on my own but I'm phone posting and can't list them for the moment.

Edit: I'm debating picking up a couple ships beforehand. Any Rebel recommendations to accompany what I have? Couple A-wings or a K-wing maybe?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 17, 2015

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Last weekend I played a game running the punisher and dropped an ion bomb that hit 3 scum ships and one of my own ties.

Using ion bombs and ion torpedoes I was able to lock down a his movement most of the game. It felt good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally got the new core (only released today in the UK). Don't really like the stumpy little lower wing on the t-70 to be honest.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I tried out my Poe, Tycho, Kyle list against a Y-Wing and Fat Han yesterday. It ended in a nailbiter but Kyle with TLT was able to clinch it for me. My friend spent like 3 turns shooting at the A-wing while Kyle flew around in circles feeding him focus and shooting the poo poo out of him with the TLT.

I was running Tycho with Wired and PTL but I was not doing a good job playing it. I kept way over shooting the Falcon and also maneuvering in a way that I kept losing my Stress token so I couldn't trigger Wired later on.

Also I mis-maneuvered Poe and he ate an Assault Missile + 2 attacks to the face for like 5 damage, then he flew into and asteroid, ran away and then got shot down in a joust with Dutch.

Yeah...

this game is awesome though, hero of the game was definitely Kyle Katarn with moldy crow and recon

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Played a round of "let's unpack and use ALL THE NEWLY DELIVERED SHIPS" last night. Not really min-maxing lists, just goofing around trying new things.
I flew a rogue Boba Fett, with a TIE formation of Night Beast, Mauler, and Carnor Jax.
Wife flew a Blue Squadron Novice with a T70, Chewbacca with Luke and PTL, and Jake Farrell.

My thought was to have Boba Fett soak up shots from Chewbacca while the TIE formation chased fighters. If I could take a target of opportunity shot with Boba Fett on the fighters, even better.

Carnor Jax got wiped in the second combat phase by an unfortunate crit from focused fire by the A Wing and X Wing. The combined volume of fire from the three TIEs (with Mauler at range 1 rolling 4 dice) took down all the shields on both fighters. The next turn brought the TIEs within range 1 of the Falcon, which took down those shields too. Falcon was pretty ineffective most of the game, due to not remembering to use PTL and Luke's gunner ability. :blush:

I was pretty happy at how I was able to fly and position the TIEs in formation with minimal bumping or positioning goofs (except when I nearly flew Boba Fett out of bounds).

This game is a good time. Any recommendations for interesting scenario play from any of the following? :Both core sets, both ace packs, TIE advanced pack, Millenium Falcon and Slave 1 packs.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I've been running Poe kitted out like this for a few games and I really like it.

MOLDY POE

100 points

PILOTS

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Marksmanship (3), Experimental Interface (3)

Kyle Katarn (32)
HWK-290 (21), Wingman (2), Twin Laser Turret (6), Moldy Crow (3)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Daredevil (3), Outmaneuver (3)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/320069/moldy-poe

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/320069

So I figured I'd give my moldy crow some fly time since I never use him. I also figured I'd try the new turret. Does the turret work out well for this list or should I pop on another one?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Also, the FAQ had to list that Darth Vader is able to take the TIE X/1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer. Was there some debate about his ability to use those cards?
That's probably the first part of FFGs resolution to a massive slap-fight on the official forums about whether or not the advanced fix from the Raider can be used on the advanced prototype which is coming in wave 8. FFG won't faq ships that haven't been released yet, but my guess is that it'll end up being that the x1 title works on the advanced (including Vader, per current faq) and not on the adv. prototype.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I've been running Poe kitted out like this for a few games and I really like it.

MOLDY POE

100 points

PILOTS

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Marksmanship (3), Experimental Interface (3)

Kyle Katarn (32)
HWK-290 (21), Wingman (2), Twin Laser Turret (6), Moldy Crow (3)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Daredevil (3), Outmaneuver (3)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/320069/moldy-poe

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/320069

So I figured I'd give my moldy crow some fly time since I never use him. I also figured I'd try the new turret. Does the turret work out well for this list or should I pop on another one?

TLT does some serious work against low-agility fighters and is just average against higher agility ships, I think it fits perfectly on the moldy crow.

I flew basically that list but with different EPTs and droid. I had Push the Limit on both wangs and BB-8 on Poe. PTL and BB-8 are pretty amazing on Poe, he does so much unpredictable extra movement with them. I think Jake Farrell would work better than what I had-- I was using Tycho Celchu because I don't have the Rebel Aces

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay I'm an idiot newbie, what is TLT?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Okay I'm an idiot newbie, what is TLT?

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Twin_Laser_Turret

Yo Strobe, I need your list so I can get started on this game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Right. I'll be home in an hour or so; I'll shoot it off then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Sent.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Let's all watch me gently caress up as Kai Tave and Strobe do wangs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pretty sure I'll find plenty to gently caress up too, don't worry.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/17/what-color-is-your-squadron/

Totally pointless but I love them

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I want one set each in red, blue, and purple. Now I can finally actually field Red Squadron using red bases and Red Squadron Pilots.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh boy, like I need more of those things.

I've never played a game where I needed to field all of my ships, so I have a box from the core set full of extra bases and pegs that I didn't have to fill my plano with because they never see the table.

Strobe posted:

Now I can finally actually field Red Squadron using red bases and Red Squadron Pilots.

But you always could?

Unless these don't actually fit wangs?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 18, 2015

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

They don't fit wangs, the base size is wrong very slightly which will mess up close measurements. You can get a very similar effect by simply coloring the bases with Sharpies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, I had no idea mostly due to no one I know using them but I always thought they could be used. Is there anything off about their range rulers or movement templates that I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think I have an unhealthy obsession with Advanced Proton Torpedoes.

Went to league play at the FLGS tonight. No one was an rear end in a top hat, no one talked about this ship raping that ship, it was great. They charge a dollar a week, play 2-3 "official" games and have a prize pack when the league is over. In the ten years I've played Warhammer Fantasy here, I've never found anyone worth talking to, much less playing games with that I didn't already know.

It feels good to be involved in a game made by a competent company :unsmith:

• Locked thread