Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Furnaceface posted:

The number of times I heard "And its a 2 on 1!" because the other defender was crashing the net leaving me to try and defend everything is already irritating.

You play with Bradf0rd too??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

:iceburn:

Wait a minute, The Nacho Man is next gen now? Great, looks like myself and (not a real) Dr. Buttes are the true poors.
Have fun hockeying for me, bros :downs:

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Anyone have issues with the digital download getting stuck at 5% game installation? The download was suspiciously small (like 2.5gb) and I have to imagine that the 5% of the game initially downloaded is all I have. Been staring at the menu for a few minutes ant it won't budge. All I can play is the Hawks/Lightning demo game.

edit: Bandwidth tests seem to suggest absolutely jack poo poo is actually still downloading. The gently caress?

e2: Oh jesus there it is with "99+ hours left". Excellent. PSN servers are apparently hosted on the space station.

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 17, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It would be fun if I could play this game today. Been patching for an hour now :argh:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Haven't played a NHL since PS3 era. How the gently caress do you do faceoffs in this? I win like 5% and that seems like random chance. The controls are way too loving complex.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

pretend to care posted:

Anyone have issues with the digital download getting stuck at 5% game installation? The download was suspiciously small (like 2.5gb) and I have to imagine that the 5% of the game initially downloaded is all I have. Been staring at the menu for a few minutes ant it won't budge. All I can play is the Hawks/Lightning demo game.

edit: Bandwidth tests seem to suggest absolutely jack poo poo is actually still downloading. The gently caress?

e2: Oh jesus there it is with "99+ hours left". Excellent. PSN servers are apparently hosted on the space station.

Are you pause/resuming the download regularly?

...Why are you not pause/resuming the download?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Check your PMs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Karnegal posted:

Haven't played a NHL since PS3 era. How the gently caress do you do faceoffs in this? I win like 5% and that seems like random chance. The controls are way too loving complex.
  • Pick a direction you'd like to win the faceoff towards w/ the LEFT stick.
  • Then also hold either right or left (forehand/backhand) with the RIGHT stick.
  • As soon as the Refs' hand moves to drop the puck roll the RIGHT stick towards down.

There's other things you can do (tie ups/stick lifts) but that's the basic faceoff in a poorly-worded nutshell

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm still terrible at defense. No matter how gentle I am with the stick I can't seem to stay covering anyone, and if I'm actually able to blcok a shot or lift their stick or poke it away it's more by sheer dumb luck. I have a fair bit of display lag on my TV which probably contributes, but I really don't know what to do. It also probably doesn't help that I made my player a Center who's a 5'10" 165# chick. Still though, I'd be up for any advice on how to actually stay covering someone and not always be like 2 steps behind them no matter what. I read the earlier advice but maybe it's just not getting through to me properly or something.

I've seriously been playing these games for like 20 some years and I still suck at covering people in the slot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I dont play with any goons yet. My old PS3 era NHL friends list consists of rutkowski and some other goon that hasnt logged on in a year. :saddowns:

I am happy with my purchase even if Im still terrible, so whatever. Wasnt thrilled about needing PS+ to play online though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
edit: nope it's on my end...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Southpaw posted:

:iceburn:

Wait a minute, The Nacho Man is next gen now? Great, looks like myself and (not a real) Dr. Buttes are the true poors.
Have fun hockeying for me, bros :downs:

Doctor Butts has had a PS4 for months now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pleads posted:

Doctor Butts has had a PS4 for months now.

And by that I mean you didn't play with us on old gen for years, either, so please stop pretending.

Just stop.

Stop it, Southpaw.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

And by that I mean you didn't play with us on old gen for years, either, so please stop pretending.

Just stop.

Stop it, Southpaw.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

pretend to care posted:

Yep, me too. Digital version doesn't download the game when you are running it. Which is pretty lol. You have to quit the game then pause and resume the download.

Game itself gameplay wise seemed like best it's been since nhl 12 to me. Too early to say for sure though. Now I'm just waiting for the loving thing download.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

14 G, 8 A in 4 games with the Otters. How am I rewarded? By going 4th in the draft to the loving Maple Leafs. :sigh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I find myself to be enjoying this game as evidenced here from a drop in game:

(I'm under teal icon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcsIa7MGAUo

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 17, 2015

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I will say that despite its complement of the usual EA bullshit, this is actually a pretty good hockey game. I'd argue the best since 12, potentially even better. I really do like the BAP progression changes, although I feel that some of the stats will simply grow too slowly. I did manage to do SOMETHING in a game that gave me exp towards speed, but I have no idea what it was. Skating skills seem like they're so slow that you need to devote 100% of your off-ice time to them or else they'll sit at 77 forever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I will say that despite its complement of the usual EA bullshit, this is actually a pretty good hockey game.

My biggest gripes so far are that the line editing screen is terrible and the stats menus are sluggish, and in the grand scheme of things that's pretty good. I'm suitably impressed.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

My biggest gripes so far are that the line editing screen is terrible and the stats menus are sluggish, and in the grand scheme of things that's pretty good. I'm suitably impressed.

That's my only big gripe too right now, I'm really impressed otherwise. I'm sure after I play a few years of Be A GM I'll start to notice little things that bug me but whatever. Game is good.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Honestly all I've done so far has been BAP so I guess I haven't even looked at the line editing screen. The BAP menus are actually tolerable though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Amazon just refunded me $0.14 on this game so NHL 16 is already paying dividends

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
While the menus are quicker, sometimes I notice that if I move over and press X too quickly, it won't register me pressing X. So if I scroll over to choose HUT - if I don't wait a second, or don't jam the button down, it won't even register. This was similar to last year - many things in the menus are quicker, but that's something I noticed is still there. To the point where sometimes I swear it's controller/PS4 lag.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have X not registering a TON. I don't understand how the menus can be so terrible. And now this was never an issue during testing.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's much better than 15. There are lot of legacy issues and other bugs/bad design though. From top of my head now that I've tested the game some (mostly hut): The hut menus are slow as hell, line change energy bar is hard to see (how the hell this can get through any testing?), Play by play is atrocious. Mostly the same as last year but with some new recordings that sound really out of place. You can't do really fast passes but maybe this gets changed via tuners. But good overall.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I have X not registering a TON.

I'm glad someone said something, this was happening to me too and I was convinced my controller was hosed up.

Game owns. Six games last night, five wins and zero lag. EASHL is way more fun than 14 and actually feels like a "real sport" (lol I know, but it's true) where positions and builds matter way more than glitch skills and poopsocking. As sba pointed out this morning in IRC, it's nice to be discussing our positioning and tactics after playing games rather than bitching about glitches or lag or people dropping or #firerammer or whatever.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

But still, #firerammer.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Good to hear you guys haven't had lag. Eashl beta was laggy mess but was otherwise really swell.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

aunt jemima posted:

I'm glad someone said something, this was happening to me too and I was convinced my controller was hosed up.

Game owns. Six games last night, five wins and zero lag. EASHL is way more fun than 14 and actually feels like a "real sport" (lol I know, but it's true) where positions and builds matter way more than glitch skills and poopsocking. As sba pointed out this morning in IRC, it's nice to be discussing our positioning and tactics after playing games rather than bitching about glitches or lag or people dropping or #firerammer or whatever.

We need to have an Xbox vs PS goon throw down.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Jovial Cow posted:

It happens about every hour on the hour on IRC.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jovial Cow posted:

I'm also going to practice and get a new microphone so that the old Killdozers will welcome me back hopefully :sweatdrop:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When there's a scramble in front of the net, is there a way to get my guy just to automatically shoot it instead of repeatedly hitting up on the right stick? I feel like my guy will get the puck and just sit there doing nothing, then get the puck poke-checked away.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I'm also going to practice and get a new microphone so that the old Killdozers will welcome me back hopefully :sweatdrop:

Fair warning we have 2 guys sitting every night as it is from the 15 crew so I imagine there's going to be some push back on that until we get a bit further from launch and guys start playing less.

When there's a scramble in front of the net, is there a way to get my guy just to automatically shoot it instead of repeatedly hitting up on the right stick? I feel like my guy will get the puck and just sit there doing nothing, then get the puck poke-checked away.

Hold L2 and up on the right stick, don't blame me if your guy get stuck in a shooting animation when you don't want him to be. Once the animation starts you're in for the ride.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 17, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yeah I have X not registering a TON. I don't understand how the menus can be so terrible. And now this was never an issue during testing.

This happens to me all the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like how the AI still self pins itself to evade forechecking pressure in this. Like a defenseman would ever ever do that in real hockey. That's just asking to be in a wheel chair.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I like how the AI still self pins itself to evade forechecking pressure in this. Like a defenseman would ever ever do that in real hockey. That's just asking to be in a wheel chair.

This, the fact that every player in the NHL can snipe the top corner with relative ease and the AI's inability to pick up a puck sitting beside the net are my biggest issues with the gameplay. Everything else is either spot on or could be adjusted with sliders. Goalscoring and general skating speed is too high, but that can be scaled back.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
EASHL reminds me a little too much of FIFA Pro Clubs, in that the primary defensive strategy employed by every single team (especially any team fielding 2 CPU d-men) is to simply have the defense sit as far back as possible in front of the net and just create a mass of humanity that is nearly impossible to penetrate. They won't even bother challenging you at the point because a slapper has to get through 4 bodies and the goalie.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

pretend to care posted:

EASHL reminds me a little too much of FIFA Pro Clubs, in that the primary defensive strategy employed by every single team (especially any team fielding 2 CPU d-men) is to simply have the defense sit as far back as possible in front of the net and just create a mass of humanity that is nearly impossible to penetrate. They won't even bother challenging you at the point because a slapper has to get through 4 bodies and the goalie.

It sounds like you're doing drop ins but in my experience point shots that get tipped for goals are more deadly than ever. I would say north of 30% of our teams EASHL goals are point shots or the direct result of a point shot. It's just a matter of time before people start adjusting.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jovial Cow posted:

Fair warning we have 2 guys sitting every night as it is from the 15 crew so I imagine there's going to be some push back on that until we get a bit further from launch and guys start playing less.

put me in coach my hands are fancier than ever :smith:

I probably need some time to get acclimated to the new game since I haven't played since like 12 or 13 anyway, so that's fine

e: If there's people sitting, is there a way to join drop-ins together? Maybe would could at least get 3 or 4 of us doing something in the meantime if the squad is too full

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Just posted three games last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hOmV3Ux0M

At one point in the third game we improvised the flying V, with Bradf0rd leading the charge as a defenseman.

Watch the highlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hOmV3Ux0M&feature=youtu.be&t=1h34m20s

it didn't work out

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread