Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't actually been over the border since I got switched to a Share Everything plan, how does Roam like Home work?

It says it activates on the first call, text or byte. Is that received too? Like if I'm over the border and receive a text or call, does it cost me $5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lexicon posted:

Is there any advantage to signing up for a contract at Costco versus a carrier store?
Not really. Costco has previously just had a third party vendor (usually Wireless Wave) and the sales/plans aren't subject to their usual return policy.

e: My opinion is grounded in my admittedly brief experience like 4-5 years ago. Looking now, it appears as though they might have a slightly better setup with Wireless Wave than they used to. Looks like they'll toss in 50 CAN->US long distance minutes for Bell/Rogers and they might have certain phones/plans where they'll throw in a Costco cash card ($100-$150). Also looks like they give a free charger or Lightning cable with purchases now too.

Looks like they also have their derivative of Applecare+ that can be bought for non-Apple phones.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 17, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I know I've posted about this before but I just want to confirm...

I'm moving back to BC from Saskatchewan and I'd love to keep a cheap, reasonably priced, rate plan.

My game plan is thus:

1. Go to Best Buy, activate a Kodoo account on the $48 (!!!) rate plan, just get the sim card (will they let me just activate an account there and take the sim card?)

There should be no problem activating the account as I live in Saskatchewan at the moment and all my ID is still for Saskatchewan.

2. Set up online Kodoo account.

3. Call Telus, get them to change my number to a BC number (can't do this online), get forced onto cheapest awful BC rate plan.

4. Go online to Kodoo, port my number from Telus to Kodoo.

5. Pop SIM card from Kodoo into iPhone and now I'm rolling with a BC number and a dirt cheap but good rate plan.

Any reason why this won't work? I'll pay a fair amount with Telus with all the rate plan swapping, but save big in the long run. My contract is up, so I guess I'd also need to get my iPhone 5S unlocked too?

Most importantly, does the Kodoo number porting loophole still work?

Related question, and I know this is highly unlikely, is there any chance Telus Loyalty and Retention will give me the cheap rate plan if I call them and tell them I'm thinking of leaving? Or would they just go "oh, he's moving to Kodoo, we get his money regardless" and tell me to suck eggs? Is there any harm in calling Telus and asking them this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work. You would need the phone unlocked I believe, although Koodo = Telus so I'm not sure how that works. You probably still do need the unlock, but I've never switched from one carrier to another on literally the same network. Fido and Rogers can't use each other's SIMs so I'd assume it's similar. Usually these jerks charge you like $50 for the unlock.

The biggest roadblock these days is getting on the SKMB plan to begin with. Since you're in SK, you shouldn't have any problems. Then port whatever number you want over and you should be fine.

This is just me hypothesizing based on stuff I've read and my personal experience, so I'd wait for others to weigh in, but I see nothing wrong with your plan.

edit: as for Best Buy and 'activate just the SIM' - yup. My phone was still on Rogers and not unlocked, so when I bought a Koodo sim at Future Shop (read: Best Buy), I wasn't able to activate it in-store, they just gave me the SIM and my receipt. I did the other stuff at home.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That should all work fine and yeah they can sign you up (they do a credit check FYI) and give you a SIM right there. I did the port trick with the $48 plan last week without issues but check howardforums via google just to be sure as the loophole has been publicized a few times lately and is sure to be on the chopping block soon. I doubt Telus retentions will do much for you but its worth a phone call.

quote:

The biggest roadblock these days is getting on the SKMB plan to begin with

I didn't even bother trying to be honest, I just signed up for the garbage Ontario plan, changed the phone number they gave me to an SK number, did a self-serve switch to the SK plan and waited until the new billing period (10 days) then ported my Ontario phone number over the SK one. He's lucky though, he can just get the plan as normal.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 17, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They don't always do a credit check. I just gave 'em my credit card, they probably authed something like 500 on it and figured OK he's not broke, whatever. I didn't authorize any credit check and as far as I know none was done.

The Gunslinger posted:

I didn't even bother trying to be honest, I just signed up for the garbage Ontario plan, changed the phone number they gave me to an SK number, did a self-serve switch to the SK plan and waited until the new billing period (10 days) then ported my Ontario phone number over the SK one.

Well I mean that's just what I read. For me it was trivial too, I just walked into a store in Toronto and told the guy work is sending me to Winnipeg for a year, I had a whole story for him but he didn't give a single poo poo. But enough people post about having difficulties so *shrug*.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

They don't always do a credit check. I just gave 'em my credit card, they probably authed something like 500 on it and figured OK he's not broke, whatever. I didn't authorize any credit check and as far as I know none was done.

I did mine at Koodo and they did a credit check but Bestbuy/etc might be different. In any case I thought it was worth mentioning to him.

Oh and I'm super happy with the Telus/Bell network, I get great speeds even on this old crappy Nexus 4 without LTE enabled and I can actually use my phone in doors now. Wind was awesome out here as long as you never went into a building :(

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 17, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Thanks for the responses! :)

I'll get my phone unlocked and set this plan in motion tomorrow.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If they took your card they totally did a credit check. The only time the credit check is skipped is prepaid. Even a monthly bill on a owned phone still runs a credit check.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

If they took your card they totally did a credit check. The only time the credit check is skipped is prepaid. Even a monthly bill on a owned phone still runs a credit check.

Credit card is not the same as 'credit'. 'Credit check' means asking TransUnion and Equifax what your credit score is. Doing an auth on your credit card is something that happens when you check into a hotel or swipe your card before pumping at a gas station, basically asking the issuer the question "does this person have $x available?". Then they're able to 'capture' the auth, which means actually take the money - like if you drive off without paying, or steal some bathrobes from the hotel.

FS activated me on Koodo and when I got a credit report for something unrelated later, I did not see a check from them from the credit reporting agencies.

But they will eventually register that you are a post-paid customer which makes them a creditor, so that will show up on your report regardless of who you have a post-paid account with. I had Rogers on mine for over a decade. But I swear, Koodo/FS never ran my credit score.

It is what it is.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 17, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They probably just did a soft inquiry where they verify your identity/etc, that would be why it didn't show up on your credit report. It technically comes from you so it won't show up on your report.

I'm not sure why you care so much anyway. If you got away without one then hooray you're special but its not the norm, in fact its their policy to check every new monthly customer.

Sheesh!

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not sure why you care so much anyway. If you got away without one then hooray you're special but its not the norm, in fact its their policy to check every new monthly customer.

Sheesh!

Because he makes long winded arguments about everything, and will stand behind his point, even if evidence is presented to the contrary.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/09/16/videotron-looking-to-sell-unused-spectrum-instead-of-launching-national-wireless-network/

Please, join with Wind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like Bell and Virgin will support iOS wifi calling starting the 25th, but for the 6S and 6S+ only.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got so sick of my Leap being such a piece of poo poo that I mooched a Z30 from a departing employee and it's sooooo nice to have a decently working work phone again. I'm hopefully going to burn my hardware upgrade on the Venice when it comes out :swoon:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm hopefully going to burn my hardware upgrade on the Venice when it comes out :swoon:
Uh, sorry to say, but current rumor has it that the Venice is going to be $750 USD.

Or, you know, the same price as a 64GB iPhone 6S.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

Uh, sorry to say, but current rumor has it that the Venice is going to be $750 USD.

Or, you know, the same price as a 64GB iPhone 6S.

On a 3 year corporate contract? Lmao

I wonder if my boss will sign for it if I ask really nicely...

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
The general recommendation thread seems pretty US-heavy and since one of the phones I'm thinking about is the Moto X Play which seems to maybe not exist in the States (?) I will ask here.

I am looking for a phone for my mother. She does not currently have a smartphone but she has a Nexus 7 tablet which she is comfortable with.

She won't be using minutes/data a lot so I'm thinking Koodo prepaid will be best, so looking at buying something outright.

So the phones I'm pondering at the moment are the upcoming Nexuses (maybe $500+ if we're being honest about the exchange rate), Nexus 6 2014 (which is now $599 from Google), Moto X Play ($420) and last year's Moto X ($450).

Requirements:
-I want stock android on her phone for sure because she's familiar with that from her tablet and that's what I use (Nexus 4) so I can help her with it
-Minimum 5" screen, but bigger is better since she's accustomed to the tablet
-Came out within the last year

beyond that, performance not a big issue.

Are there any other recentish stock android phones (available in Canada) that I haven't mentioned that would also be options? And recommendations within the ones I know about, or good deals on currently? I know it's hard to compare the new Nexuses since they aren't out yet.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 26, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

toe knee hand posted:

The general recommendation thread seems pretty US-heavy and since one of the phones I'm thinking about is the Moto X Play which seems to maybe not exist in the States (?) I will ask here.

I am looking for a phone for my mother. She does not currently have a smartphone but she has a Nexus 7 tablet which she is comfortable with.

She won't be using minutes/data a lot so I'm thinking Koodo prepaid will be best, so looking at buying something outright.

So the phones I'm pondering at the moment are the upcoming Nexuses (maybe $500+ if we're being honest about the exchange rate), Nexus 6 2014 (which is now $599 from Google), Moto X Play ($420) and last year's Moto X ($450).

Requirements:
-I want stock android on her phone for sure because she's familiar with that from her tablet and that's what I use (Nexus 4) so I can help her with it
-Minimum 5" screen, but bigger is better since she's accustomed to the tablet
-Came out within the last year

beyond that, performance not a big issue.

Are there any other recentish stock android phones (available in Canada) that I haven't mentioned that would also be options? And recommendations within the ones I know about, or good deals on currently? I know it's hard to compare the new Nexuses since they aren't out yet.

Honestly I'd go with a Moto G. Good performance, new, 5-inch screen, couple hundred bucks. My only concern with the plan idea is that she might get used to using it while out blow through if it's something that could eat up minutes without her realizing. An unlikely scenario maybe but worth considering.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

Honestly I'd go with a Moto G. Good performance, new, 5-inch screen, couple hundred bucks. My only concern with the plan idea is that she might get used to using it while out blow through if it's something that could eat up minutes without her realizing. An unlikely scenario maybe but worth considering.

Lollipop has data saver where you enter in how much is in your plan and it'll cut off data when you reach a limit of your choosing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

less than three posted:

Lollipop has data saver where you enter in how much is in your plan and it'll cut off data when you reach a limit of your choosing.

Good point!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can you get an unlocked Moto G in Canada? I remember people having trouble with that for past generations.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Moto G may be an option but I think she'd be willing to pay more for bigger screen and better-feeling build quality.

Some site I've never heard of has the Nexus 6 on for $489 so I think I'll wait for the new Nexuses and see if after they come out, other more reputable retailers knock the Nexus 6 price down too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

Moto G may be an option but I think she'd be willing to pay more for bigger screen and better-feeling build quality.

Some site I've never heard of has the Nexus 6 on for $489 so I think I'll wait for the new Nexuses and see if after they come out, other more reputable retailers knock the Nexus 6 price down too.

That's totally reasonable. I think you should check one out in a store, though, and see what you both think; I think they're a great deal in terms of performance and build for the price.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Yea, I'll drag her out to some stores sometime.

I might get a Moto G for myself...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone know how well Videotron works in Ottawa as Wind has started to really suck in the downtown core and they seem to have the best high data plan for my bus ride.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

toe knee hand posted:

Expansys is legit, I've order stuff from there before.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What's the catch with Rogers share everything plans? Their website suggests my wife and I can share 9 gigs and unlimited calling/texting/roaming for $170 per month and both get Nexus 6Ps for $200 each on two year plans. Am I missing some horrible small print?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well I guess the catch is that $85/month is kind of a lot.

But otherwise, nothing really.

Also it probably doesn't have unlimited roaming. You might be reading the way they advertise Roam like Home wrong.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 30, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Not bad when I'd use 7 of the 9 gigs and pay $96 right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddamn, $85, I am never surrendering my ultra mega super Rogers corporate personal plan :ohdear:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I always wonder how hard it must be to extricate a family member from one of those joint plans when circumstances change down the line (e.g. one spouse happens to get given a phone at work etc). Obviously you need to pay off the subsidy, but even then, I bet they make it an expensive, utter hassle to reduce the service on the line.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That $170 didn't include tax or anything, so it's over $100 each. Doh

I already have a work phone but it's a Galaxy Rugby, so gently caress that.

edit: Rogers lets us both reserve online without switching plans.... is that normal?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 30, 2015

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the catch with Rogers share everything plans? Their website suggests my wife and I can share 9 gigs and unlimited calling/texting/roaming for $170 per month and both get Nexus 6Ps for $200 each on two year plans. Am I missing some horrible small print?

Canada wide roaming (be anywhere in canada and call anyone in canada) but roaming out of Canada is a different story. Roam Like Home is good though for most of the world.

Lexicon posted:

I always wonder how hard it must be to extricate a family member from one of those joint plans when circumstances change down the line (e.g. one spouse happens to get given a phone at work etc). Obviously you need to pay off the subsidy, but even then, I bet they make it an expensive, utter hassle to reduce the service on the line.

It is not hard at all. If someone needs to leave the family plan, they just need to pass a credit check and that's pretty much it. Cancelling is just paying whats left of the tab. Changing plans isn't too bad either unless you are changing the type of 'tab' it is(downgrading to a talk and text plan after getting a brand new iphone 6s on contract).

Reverse Centaur posted:

That $170 didn't include tax or anything, so it's over $100 each. Doh

I already have a work phone but it's a Galaxy Rugby, so gently caress that.

edit: Rogers lets us both reserve online without switching plans.... is that normal?

Reserve != purchase. If you need to change the plan, you'll be told when you go to get it from the store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although if you have an iPhone 5S or newer with Rogers Wifi Calling does allow you to make calls and texts while roaming outside Canada, if they're to a Canadian number.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
As much as I want out of this province, giving up my $50/mo plan for 10 gigs of data and unlimited everything is going to suck when I move out of SK

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Godinster posted:

As much as I want out of this province, giving up my $50/mo plan for 10 gigs of data and unlimited everything is going to suck when I move out of SK

Why would you have to give it up? Just change your billing address online. If you call in and they won't give you a local number on your plan, just get a pay as you go number/SIM and transfer that number online.

The telecoms scam us, you may as well equalize it a bit. Do it for us.

I mean, that crap works with Koodo at least.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Might have sasktel? I dunno what plan does the 10 for 50, tho. gently caress do I want it.

I'm so unbelievably loving tired of winds shittastic network. I think I'm gonna try jumping onto the koodo plan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh if he's with Sasktel proper he should get on the Koodo plan before he moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
In fact, the awesome SK Koodo plan has actually gone down in price from $55 to $48. :lol: