Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Armyman25 posted:

What he made looks similar to a home made bomb though and it's disingenuous the way people are playing it off like it doesn't.

You're assuming that the teachers and police have the same familiarity with IEDs as you or I do, and therefore knew that IEDs can resemble innocuous amateur electronics (that is, before you actually examine them closely.) Maybe they did know.

But the fact that these things do resemble amateur electronics would suggest to me that you don't frog-walk the kid in a NASA shirt out the school unless you've got some compounding evidence to think he's dangerous, or that he was trying to pass off his device as something dangerous. Was there any?

What impresses me most is that the kid's case kept getting kicked up the chain (teacher, administrator, police) and no one gave the kid the benefit of the doubt- nobody's humanity kicked in, made them laugh at the situation, and sent the kid home. It's like a conservative's caricature of overweening bureaucracy.

Jim Breuer's bomb threat story:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24obmm_jim-breuer-sears-bomb-threat_fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

One of them might be a bomb.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Armyman are you actually spacetoaster

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gropiemon posted:

One of them might be a bomb.

I cut it down to possibly 1, 2, 20, 21, 24 and 25.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

If you actually look at the details like the printing on the circuit boards, the orientation of the 9v battery terminal, and the relative scale of the parts, those are plainly not the same clock. Several arrows point between plainly dissimilar objects.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

If you actually look at the details like the printing on the circuit boards, the orientation of the 9v battery terminal, and the relative scale of the parts, those are plainly not the same clock. Several arrows point between plainly dissimilar objects.

The point wasn't that it's the same clock as the lower half of the photo it's that he didn't build anything, he just gutted a digital clock and tossed it into a suitcase.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Are you agreeing with that image?

I don't find it very surprising that the components to make a clock are similar across different clocks.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://vine.co/v/eUg9teiBPa5

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hmm yes an 11 year old makes headlines because dumb fucks think electronics + moozlem name = terrorist threat but the important thing here is how poo poo he is at doing electronics, look at that pussy with his premade PCB's, fuckin 11yo scrub. In fact I'm going to make a diagram to demonstrate how little this 11 year old knows about building home made electronics so the internet knows how lovely he is at making electronics which is far more important than the inherent horror of a society that treats 11 year olds like terror suspects. Kid should go get an engineering degree or some poo poo so he stops embarrassing himself with that subpar storebought off-the-shelf 9V connector garbage.

A BOMB

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Are you agreeing with that image?

I don't find it very surprising that the components to make a clock are similar across different clocks.

Its just panicked backpedaling; attempts to paint him as a terrorist have failed, so now the assertion is that he....faked making a clock? That he somehow cheated the school, or something?
Somehow this alleged deception invalidates the racism and islamophobia of the school, police, and poster. Somehow.

Good thing they didn't find the above image in his backpack, or he's be enjoying sunny Cuba about now.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/09/appeals_court_revives_insane_c.html

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

funny way to spell posted:

The point wasn't that it's the same clock as the lower half of the photo it's that he didn't build anything, he just gutted a digital clock and tossed it into a suitcase.

You shoulda seen what this 5 year old called his "drawing" yesterday. What a piece of poo poo. Nice turkey that's just an outline of your hand you retard.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

You shoulda seen what this 5 year old called his "drawing" yesterday. What a piece of poo poo. Nice turkey that's just an outline of your hand you retard.

I'm not saying Ahmed is an idiot or saying he constructed a bomb, the point I'm trying to make is that I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It's obvious (at least to me) that he did "build" a crude clock but stylized as a briefcase bomb.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I'm not saying Ahmed is an idiot or saying he constructed a bomb, the point I'm trying to make is that I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It's obvious (at least to me) that he did "build" a crude clock but stylized as a briefcase bomb.

It was a pencil case.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

It's obvious (at least to me) that he ... stylized as a briefcase bomb.

Yes, in that it was a metal object that circuits inside of it.

Pictured: obviously a briefcase bomb

(Also, according to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; a violation of Apple's intellectual property (the slide to unlock feature) that Samsung should have been banned from being able to use after the 2014 case against Samsung found that they were in violation of Apple's patents, but only awarded Apple monetary damages instead of banning Samsung from using it)

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

http://gfycat.com/AdolescentEvergreenElephantbeetle

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://barkshop.com/items/the-dogn..._keyword=bxskip

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Jot3qB3pc

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dk6bXdBdVs

A dangerous thug is heroically subdued after blocking traffic in an unlawful manner by our glorious police force. :911:

Translated from right-wing talking head:

A 14-year old black teenager has the poo poo beaten out of him by a cop for jaywalking, and then gets dog piled by SIX more cops who are all required to subdue one loving kid.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Klaus88 posted:

A 14-year old black teenager has the poo poo beaten out of him by a cop for jaywalking, and then gets dog piled by SIX more cops who are all required to subdue one loving kid.

That sort of thing reminds me of this every time.

Love that one cop so excited to beat up an unconscious man he slips on the way in.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Klaus88 posted:

A dangerous thug is heroically subdued after blocking traffic in an unlawful manner by our glorious police force. :911:

Hey another black child having hopelessness, and mistrust/hatred of authority being beaten into him. :sigh:

Radish posted:

That sort of thing reminds me of this every time.

Love that one cop so excited to beat up an unconscious man he slips on the way in.

An ejected, unconscious pt, lying beside an unstable vehicle, being beaten by a gang of police officers. :psyduck: What the gently caress? Any more to this story?

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 18, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They got fired in this case at least. Dude didn't even know he'd been beaten until they showed him the tape since he figured he got banged up in the wreck.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/five_birmingham_police_officer.html

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Klaus88 posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the comments with this video?

This officer actually got fired, not only because she lied about a 69 year old black man swinging a golf club at her, but because she said she would do nothing differently if she had the choice to do it again, as well as other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSka-9CtoM

This is a statement from the police chief:

quote:

I was disappointed by your failure during your Loudermillhearing to take any responsibility, or show any understanding that your conduct at issue here was inappropriate. In particular, when I asked you what if anything you would do differently in retrospect, you stated that you would do nothing differently. Your inability to understand that the confrontational manner in which you handled a non-threatening situation undermines public confidence in the fairness of this Department and leaves me convinced that a similar interaction with a member of the public will occur again should I permit you to continue working as a police officer. This is reinforced by the fact that you have twice been previously disciplined and counseled for unprofessional conduct, and seem to have learned little from those corrective actions.

I was also troubled by your comments in the Loudermill about the race of a judge and deputy chief involved in expunging the civilian's criminal record related to your arrest of him; you expressed a strong belief that these actions were taken because the judge and deputy chief are black, and that race drove the decision-making of a high ranking Department official and a long-serving Municipal Court Judge, not the legitimate factual and legal analysis by thoughtful and dedicated public servants. Such statements further indicate that your biased views prevent you from being able to honestly reflect on your own job performance and successfully receive constructive criticism of your policing techniques because you view the critiques as racially motivated.

While the violation of Section 5.140(2) is serious enough that, on its own, the allegation would warrant the recommended discipline, I gave serious consideration to a lengthy suspension and disciplinary transfer to a unit that does not interact with the public, as well as removal from the sergeant's promotional registry. However, your inability to understand, even in hindsight, that your behavior was unnecessarily aggressive, an abuse of discretion, and negatively impacted the community's confidence in this police service, offers me no pathway to confidence that your behavior will improve or change. Without this ability to learn from your mistakes, understand how you can improve and do better, and recognize your own errors, you are unable to effectively function as an officer.

ln analyzing your culpability for a potential violation of Department Policy 6.220(l),I have also given careful consideration to the Constitutional principles underlying that policy. I believe that reasonable minds could find, in the totality of the circumstances, that the stop was lawful. I therefore conclude that this charge is "inconclusive" rather than "sustained." In doing so, however, I rely on the fact that determination of lawful authority to stop is an objective standard, not a subjective standard. The fact that I conclude that we should not sustain a violation of the stops and detention policy does not mean that I support your use of your authority in this circumstance. This incident likely could have been resolved without a seizure of any level.

For the reasons summarized above, and while giving careful consideration to your full employment history as well as the facts of this case, your employment is terminated.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's nice to see some police officers face consequences for their actions. In the real world people get arrested for committing assault, but when you're in a uniform rules and laws often don't seem to apply.
All cops aren't bastard but a large amount of them blindly and willingly protect their bastards regardless.

Darvell Elliott beaten to a pulp after a cop mistakes him for a suspect in a minor theft

http://www.wnyc.org/story/can-the-nypd-spot-the-abusive-cop/

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

LeeMajors posted:

Hey another black child having hopelessness, and mistrust/hatred of authority being beaten into him. :sigh:

An ejected, unconscious pt, lying beside an unstable vehicle, being beaten by a gang of police officers. :psyduck: What the gently caress? Any more to this story?

IIRC the man that's unconscious previously ran over a state trooper in a hit and run thereby starting the chase. I guess that's justifiable if they were just angry citizens. Being cops it just makes them look like thugs.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's nice to see some police officers face consequences for their actions. In the real world people get arrested for committing assault, but when you're in a uniform rules and laws often don't seem to apply.
All cops aren't bastard but a large amount of them blindly and willingly protect their bastards regardless.

Darvell Elliott beaten to a pulp after a cop mistakes him for a suspect in a minor theft

http://www.wnyc.org/story/can-the-nypd-spot-the-abusive-cop/

Cops in the south can get fired because their union is not very strong due to all the "right to work" laws their states have enacted. I don't want to know what it would take to fire a NYC cop.

Recently, the Sergeants Benevolent Association has asked members to photograph homeless people in order to document the decaying quality of life in the city.

"As you travel about the city of New York, please utilize your smartphones to photograph the homeless lying in our streets, aggressive panhandlers, people urinating in public or engaging in open-air drug activity, and quality-of-life offenses of every type,” the email from union president Ed Mullins stated. “Will notify our public officials in writing of what is being observed.”

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/8/why-are-new-york-cops-shaming-homeless-people.html

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 18, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even if it was a Sharia Coke specifically designed to poison the infidel, what the gently caress does a South African website have to do with the UK?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Cracker King posted:

IIRC the man that's unconscious previously ran over a state trooper in a hit and run thereby starting the chase. I guess that's justifiable if they were just angry citizens. Being cops it just makes them look like thugs.

Dude was ejected from a vehicle and was about to have his life rightly hosed in accordance with the law. Plus he's black so he's pretty much guaranteed to be fully boned.

I know it's the opposite but cops should keep their emotional response to enforcement at a distance. Besides, beating the poo poo out of him took the cops from heroes to punks in five seconds. Unnecessary and irresponsible and loving dumb as poo poo.

It's not like claims of fascism on the part of police need any help in this country.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

Cops in the south can get fired because their union is not very strong due to all the "right to work" laws their states have enacted. I don't want to know what it would take to fire a NYC cop.

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/8/why-are-new-york-cops-shaming-homeless-people.html

lol if you think its easy to fire cops in the south.

hint: just because their union isn't as powerful doesn't mean the cops don't still control hiring and firing!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

This is basically a thing that police do in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W3x2yyh6l8

Edit: Here's the story. Basically, mother calls the police because her mentally ill son is having an outburst and wants help to calm him down. Police decide to fabricate a story about how the son was assaulting his mother and full of meth and beat/taser/break his leg the dude mercilessly and without provocation.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 18, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CHARLES posted:

This is basically a thing that police do in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W3x2yyh6l8

Or with the music video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlY9C6pzxKc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

lol if you think its easy to fire cops in the south.

hint: just because their union isn't as powerful doesn't mean the cops don't still control hiring and firing!

https://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111204/article/111139979?tc=ar

quote:

Fired five times and arrested three, he was charged with stealing a car, trying to board an airplane with a loaded gun and driving with a suspended license.

Internal Affairs investigations found that Bosque split a man's lip with a head butt. He opened another man's head with a leg sweep and takedown. He spit in the face of a drunken, stumbling arrestee. One time, he smacked a juvenile so hard the boy's face was red and swollen the next day.

Bosque has been caught defying direct orders, lying to supervisors and falsifying police reports. Off duty, he was accused by women of domestic violence and stalking. During inspections, the agency found a counterfeit $20 bill, cocaine and crack pipes in his patrol car.

Still, Bosque has kept his badge.

In Florida, the process of investigating and disciplining police officers and prison guards is flawed at every level, allowing troubled lawmen to return to work after repeated acts of misconduct, a Herald-Tribune investigation has found.

quote:

During an August interview in Opa-Locka, Bosque lit up with excitement when he heard that he led the state in discipline cases.

"I can't believe that," he said. "I'm not trying to smile. I just ... drat!"

A high-level staff member with the FDLE's Bureau of Officer Standards had a different reaction. He first said it wasn't possible for an officer to get in trouble that many times and still be certified.

Then he pulled Bosque's records.

His response: "Holy s--t."

• Locked thread