Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hey Goonmeet guys, I think I managed to sort out transport for a Stompa.

Trouble is both it and the Council of Waaagh are pretty expensive so if I bring both along I basically only have room for around 300 points of other stuff, which does not a big force make.

Which would you guys rather see on the table? A big stompy robbit or Ghazghkull and his best mates?

Note if I'm bringing the Stompa I won't have much of a horde anyway as it'll be a pain to transport alongside a lot of guys.

Also, I intend to be at the Nottingham Train Station around 10:05, if anyone wants to meet there and share a taxi to WHW I'm game. I have PMs so we can swap mobile nos. or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

These are nice, I am curious which ones would make the "theme" of Ultramarines best. Goth-teck seems to really fit the 40K aesthetic, but look like they might take a bit longer to paint.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Naramyth posted:

Grav is more important and is better protected in a rhino then some jerks with a lascannon. It's also really the only way to make the dev slot useful other then podding them in. If you could sneak in a fort without even more taxes I could see running Lascannons or missiles and do a marine gunline but since you can't you are very much encouraged to go pods or scouted rhinos/razors.

Am I missing something, how do you get the rhinos to have scout?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

What about putting the Chaplain and Captain on a bike, taking the Command Squad on bikes, and giving the bunch Grav-Weapons? This way you have your Grav, and the added mobility along with another free Razorback?

Because you are still paying for those devs.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Am I missing something, how do you get the rhinos to have scout?

Khan.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Because you are still paying for those devs.

I don't really see that as a problem since most the force has Obj Sec, you just treat them like another tactical squad. Grav guns on bikes will actually have effectively greater range and more shots than the Cannon plus it might make your chaplain and captain a bit more useful if they are running around on a bike unit. This goes double if you take Khan since White Scars and all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hadn't seen this posted (it's not 40k related) but there's another Total War: Warhammer trailer that is awesome because it features Dwarves waddling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7pBMxdX6o

Waddling dwarves, best dwarves.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 17, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I just bought a HUGE lot of old 40K Orks, I don't think there's anything newer than 3rd edition here. My thoughts:

1. Identifying Ork units is a pain. They all look extremely same-y
2. The old 3rd edition GW plastics have absolutely atrocious mold lines. I spent a few hours yesterday simply removing them with an x-acto and only got through about 30.
3. I am excited to play them

This was posted a couple pages back but some pics and I'm sure you'll have all the models identified in no time. Most Ork players like myself tend to be old time grogs who love them some Orks a lot.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Solomon :siren:Krayt:siren:'s Pyreguard

I see what you did there.

They look great, though bigger/closer pictures would be fantastic. Love the FW Salamanders.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Hadn't seen this posted (it's not 40k related) but there's another Total War: Warhammer trailer that is awesome because it features Dwarves waddling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7pBMxdX6o

Waddling dwarves, best dwarves.
Sorry dude, that's been around for at least a week or two. The threads have merged, we pretty much read all of them.

Still, dorfs :3:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Hey Goonmeet guys, I think I managed to sort out transport for a Stompa.

Trouble is both it and the Council of Waaagh are pretty expensive so if I bring both along I basically only have room for around 300 points of other stuff, which does not a big force make.

Which would you guys rather see on the table? A big stompy robbit or Ghazghkull and his best mates?

Note if I'm bringing the Stompa I won't have much of a horde anyway as it'll be a pain to transport alongside a lot of guys.

Also, I intend to be at the Nottingham Train Station around 10:05, if anyone wants to meet there and share a taxi to WHW I'm game. I have PMs so we can swap mobile nos. or whatever.

At this point I am too excited to mind. This being said we have waved Lord twisted off his baneblade a couple of times so it would unbalance things a little. Raphus C is bringing dreads so it might be good to get a good horde on the table.

I was thinking that we might need to look at the deployment as the river bed might need to be discounted in my scheme. As I recall it is essentially facing the bridge and had poor line of sight. We will need to have a think on the day once I have got my tape measure out.

The cheat sheets are done, the tldr version is the objectives score points every turn but also potentially hurt you at the start of the turn.
\/ will do. \/

JackMack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 17, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

At this point I am too excited to mind. This being said we have waved Lord twisted off his baneblade a couple of times so it would unbalance things a little. Raphus C is bringing dreads so it might be good to get a good horde on the table.

I was thinking that we might need to look at the deployment as the river bed might need to be discounted in my scheme. As I recall it is essentially facing the bridge and had poor line of sight. We will need to have a think on the day once I have got my tape measure out.

The cheat sheets are done, the tldr version is the objectives score points every turn but also potentially hurt you at the start of the turn.

I have enough non super heavy anti tank firepower to have a chance against a super heavy so I'm not really fussed. If you could do a group PM giving out names and numbers would be helpful! I think I lost yours jackmack when I changed my phone recently

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just finished reading through the 30k Mechanicum Teghmata red book. Some big clarifications for 30k peeps ontop of the usual codex stuff. Here are the important Age of Darkness clarifications:
  • First Blood and Line Breaker are NOT secondary objectives in 30k. Outside of special missions, they don't exist anymore. These are replaced with 'Last Man Standing' and 'Attrition' (greatest number of surviving units and most destroyed enemy units). LoW give up victory points as before. In a nutshell, this means Rhinos are back, baby.
  • There are 6 unique 30k missions with 6 deployment types, 3 of which are new (these are from the other books, but are now official)
  • As before, only troops score, and this does not confer to their transports
  • Having no models on the table, at any time, means you automatically lose. This means you automatically loose if you take a drop pod army and go second
  • FOC Modifications, Formations, Detachments, and Unbound Armies from 40k are "not designed for use with" 30k and "should not be used"
  • Ideal game size has been amended to be '1750-3500' finally putting to rest that it's entirely possible to play fun games of 30k with less than 2000 points

Overview
Unlike the legion red book, the admech red book includes some generic fluff as an introduction. It also includes an official set of rules for playing in the Age of Darkness (30k) in 7th edition. Relics are, however, omitted. This forces you to buy HH Book 4 to use them, which sucks, but as FW is owned by GW you shouldn't be surprised. As before the armory is conveniently at the end of the book, along with a quick summary of all the weapons, and the pages are silver lined and come with a cloth page marker. In terms of value the legion book still beats this one since, despite having more pages, there are actually less unit choices (34 vs 57). Compared to a GW codex which costs more and has less choices... well, this is a fantastic deal. I haven't found the usual inconsistencies, omitted rules, or game breaking combinations that I normally expect from FWs legendary editing team, but then again I haven't really dug into the meat and potatoes. As of right now the only real conundrum is if Admech units in the legion book are to be used for legion armies, or if the ones in this book replace them.

Army Changes and Ramifications
Generally speaking, this update has brought AdMech more into line with the power level of legions. Battle Automata had a major nerf- they can no longer score in any way and cost more points ontop of it. That leaves you with tech thralls and thallax. Both of these are fair units with some tricks, but aren't really great options (much like the troops in the Legion army). Thankfully thralls remain cheap so Admech remains a strong allied choice. Cybertheurgy is now easier to cast and a Magos Dominus can finally join units of robots.

Of the three armies, Legio Cybernetica feels like it had both the least amount of time spent on it and was hit the hardest by the changes. They were given no unique FOC, no unique units, and are forced to take Castellax for all compulsory choices and must use units of at least 2 in size. Heavy support and fast attack choices must also include robots first before anything else. This means that they make poor allies and in small games could actually have 0 scoring units out the door. For the trouble you get +1 initiative on robots and a 12" bonus to your Cybertheurgy range. Ouch. Outside of a few specific lists, this basically means it makes little sense to play Cybernetica anymore. Considering they were once the strongest ally option, I'd say they've fallen pretty hard :( If there is any silver lining, it's the Vorax. They are cheaper, have WS4, you can make their rotor cannons useful with poison, and at I5 stand a good chance to seriously hurt MEQ in melee. Combined with Irad-cleansers they could do some serious work even against terminators.

On the flip side- Ordo Reductor. Once the red headed stepchild of the Mechanicum, this army has gotten a lot of love. Two unique units, their own FOC, vehicles scoring in the enemy deployment zones, and 4 heavy support choices. You can't take allies, must have less robots than humans, and your compulsory troops must be Thallax. Their unique artillery tank batteries are criminally good: ~30-40 points cheaper than their legion counterparts and have an awesome array of choices including 95 point vindicator squadrons and AV13 basilisks. As an interesting side-note the colossus bombard is back with rules similar to it's original ones from Imperial Armor Vol 3 (proving that either the colossus and colossus-bombard are two different vehicles, or that forgeworld is just awful at editing).

Taghmata remains largely the same, but attention has been given to Fast Attack. Besides the buff to Vorax, Taghmata now has access to Crusade Fleet Avenger Striker Fighters as a fast attack choice. Besides their awesome model, these babies have updated rules that gives them the firepower of a fire raptor for less points. Their load-out also sets precedent for the Primaris-Lightning dual mounted hardpoints, helping clarify the long standing question of "do I get two twin linked auto-cannons or just one" (Answer: you get two twin linked auto-cannons). These changes are nice to see as it makes both fliers more attractive choices on the tabletop, but keeps them different enough that they aren't no-brainers. Outside of this there are units like the Domitar and Thantar-Cynis which, while being new, have arguably worse rules than existing options. I don't expect these will get much use at all. Landraiders have also been entirely removed and replaced with Macrocarid Explorators with a new set of rules. This definitely sucks for anyone who modeled one with the old rules, but at least the option wasn't entirely removed. The Ordinatus is also pretty interesting, but has a prohibitive point cost (the Sagittar pattern, essentially a single D strength weapon without twin linked or BS5, can be yours for the low low cost of 700 points) which will keep it from being fielded outside of truly massive games.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 17, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

FOC Modifications, Formations, Detachments, and Unbound Armies from 40k are "not designed for use with" 30k and "should not be used"

agreed but also for 40k too

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

So pretty much they invalidated their old books and expect people to plop down money for what should be free errata.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
Oh boy, I just put together this sweet army using the Orbital Assault Rite of War! Wait what do you mean I lose immediately

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

So pretty much they invalidated their old books and expect people to plop down money for what should be free errata.

Taking a page out of GW's book. Makes me happy I pawned off my Taghmata stuff a while back when I started cleaning the house.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Is that a Stormscrunt or a Scruntsurge?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:swoon: Never stop.

Feckk Slam

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

I don't really see that as a problem since most the force has Obj Sec, you just treat them like another tactical squad. Grav guns on bikes will actually have effectively greater range and more shots than the Cannon plus it might make your chaplain and captain a bit more useful if they are running around on a bike unit. This goes double if you take Khan since White Scars and all.

You don't see the problem of paying 140 points in taxes in a list that is already paying a ton of taxes to get some garbage twin linked heavy bolters while you spend more points to buy a command squad to be your grav platform when what the list needs is either a counterassault unit and/or some solution to psychic multi assaulting deathstars?

To make BC tick you need to be as efficient as possible with your points. Doing a parking lot of razorbacks, while the "best" because mo' free points mo' betta, will do you no favors against things like scatbike spam, thunderdome, war convocation, or even a simple Tau gunline. It's so easy to get boxed in, demeched and contained. There are a few builds I'd actually use but parking lot gunline is not one of them. I tried new razorspam/devs with a void shield and an assassin pod months ago. It's good, but I'd rather play my real list.

The best BC lists are khan's scout rush with like 3-5 pods, drop pod forest, or maaaybe a gunline with a knight or two OR summoning librarian conclave to provide some linebackers.

And all of those lists lose super hard on kill points unless you have a secondary mission.

I want BC to work, it's basically Naramyth.com. But it lacks real utility, and has so many taxes it's hard to play with, and skyhammer solves more problems.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
the stock marines will win. with bolter, and chainsword, and faith in the Emperor.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
So I hear Space Marines are a toolbox army. *makes a list that's nothing but a bunch of tools driving around in boxes*

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Murderfang in a pod. Y/N?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Only way I'd run him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Only if it's a Murderpod

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

Yep, pretty much a standard GW codex release. The only difference is that the red book is way way way cheaper than buying Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3. It also costs less than a codex (which isn't saying much, I admit). Not including relics is a pretty obvious gently caress you though.

Hummingbird James posted:

Oh boy, I just put together this sweet army using the Orbital Assault Rite of War! Wait what do you mean I lose immediately

As written, that's how it would play out. Did they intend it this way? Probably not.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
JackMack, heres my WHW list (I doubt goons are sad enough to tailor)

Yarrick

Pask w/ MM sponsons + Lascannon
Punisher w/ 3 HF

40 men with a priest, 4 flamers, 4 power axes, 4 meltabombs

carapace vets in a chimera with melta x3
carapace vets in a chimera with melta x3

Hellhound

Executioner w/ plasma sponsons
Wyvern

Knight Paladin

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

Not including relics is a pretty obvious gently caress you though.

"We totally don't want people to pirate our books, honest."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Honestly I don't know why you wouldn't. It's the only reasonable way to play this dumb game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IMO if you buy the base book for your army or whatever, you should feel okay about downloading a PDF of whatever later material is necessary to play it for the next several years, because as people have pointed out that's a reasonable default expectation.

I bought IA13 and I'll probably buy whichever HH book has the 1K Sons in it, and I won't feel obliged to pay another $90 tax six months down the line because they changed a few paragraphs or released a new edition.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So I found out a few things from the upcoming Tournament organizer. Apparently Unbound is not allowed, but multiple formations are.

Still going to run the Battle Demi-Company with 3x Tac Squad, Bikes w/ Captain, and Centurion Devs as my primary force. I was originally going to run a single Dreadnaught and a TFC(as part of my unbound portion), but now this is not available to me, but running a Gladius Strike Force is. Basically I have 240ish points to select a Auxiliary Force if I want to go this route, meaning either the Anti-Air Defense Force, Suppression Force, or 10th Company Task Force. I could even avoid the GSF and put those final points in a couple Dreadnaughts, but that seems like an awful waste when I could get another set of doctrines.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 17, 2015

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

If there is any silver lining, it's the Vorax. They are cheaper, have WS4, you can make their rotor cannons useful with poison, and at I5 stand a good chance to seriously hurt MEQ in melee. Combined with Irad-cleansers they could do some serious work even against terminators.

Yesssssss :allears:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Seriously, the Vorax changes and the reductor a getting a real list is fantastic. Plus irradiation engine sponsons are rad as hell.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
A simple breakdown of my list for Saturday at 2,000 pts:

Army 1 - 1,330

Big Mek(KFF) + pain boy

3 Deff dreads
20 Spanner Boyz (Mek)

10 Kans
1 Dakkajet

1 Mega Dread

Army 2

Big Mek (KFF), Bikerboss, 2 Meks

Sluggas and grotz
5 Kans

Walker total: 15 kans, 3 Dreads, 1 Mega dread 42 hull points. Dead 'ard and stompy.

As it went to 2,000 I can now throw in the jet and bikerboss. Recently finished oaths and I like the models. PM me with telephone numbers and stuff. I also have to paint one of the Kans by Saturday. Wish me luck.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

How effective is an army of Ork walkers? I mean it looks fun, but I imagine them being so slow just results in carnage.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Uroboros posted:

How effective is an army of Ork walkers? I mean it looks fun, but I imagine them being so slow just results in carnage.

You trudge up the field while all your poo poo gets picked off by anyone with minimal anti tank.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CyberLord XP posted:

You trudge up the field while all your poo poo gets picked off by anyone with minimal anti tank.

Screen them with copters and buggies?
Probably still junk but with mechs and force fields it may be "fun".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Now that Marine Dreadnoughts are actually kinda worth a drat with 4 attacks, I wonder when Orks will get to catch up with theirs.

Played a game tonight with my Dark Angels vs. my buddy's Imperial Fists. It was an absolute massacre. At the bottom of turn 3 in an 1850 game, he had 5 scouts, a drop pod, and a pair of veterans left on the table (with some Termies in reserve) and I'd only lost 9 infantry models. I killed this Thunderfire cannon gunner with a goddamn Hammer of Wrath attack from my bikers. My dice were just absolutely on fire and his were so, so cold. It was good practice with the army since I figured out how aggressively I can really play it, and just how loving good Ravenwing jink saves are. It was cool to hang out at least, hopefully next time it won't be such a shutout.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

Now that Marine Dreadnoughts are actually kinda worth a drat with 4 attacks, I wonder when Orks will get to catch up with theirs.

Played a game tonight with my Dark Angels vs. my buddy's Imperial Fists. It was an absolute massacre. At the bottom of turn 3 in an 1850 game, he had 5 scouts, a drop pod, and a pair of veterans left on the table (with some Termies in reserve) and I'd only lost 9 infantry models. I killed this Thunderfire cannon gunner with a goddamn Hammer of Wrath attack from my bikers. My dice were just absolutely on fire and his were so, so cold. It was good practice with the army since I figured out how aggressively I can really play it, and just how loving good Ravenwing jink saves are. It was cool to hang out at least, hopefully next time it won't be such a shutout.

That describes my last game of 40K pretty well too. I was playing my Guard against Khorne Deamonkin for the first (and only, so far) time. I had first turn, and managed to get 4 pens on a rhino from some Autocannons with the first squad I had that shot. He proceeded to make four 5+ cover saves which pretty much is how the rest of the game went. For the first two turns it was even, but eventually I just could not compete with his invul saves - his dice were too hot and I was tabled by the end of his turn four. Kind of a bummer, neither of us figured I could have done anything different after the game. When the dice are with you, that's all there is to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I've done two lists so there is an extra one for the event that we need one.

I have gone Psycho Tycho, 5 Death Company, Command Squad in Razorback, 2 Tac Squads in Rhinos, Sniper Scouts, JP Assault squad, 3 Baals and a Land Raider for one. I am unbound in that as it has one more Heavy slot

The other is completely unbound and is my 13 Dreads (3Furioso, 3DC, and 7 standard with varying armament), Four drop pods and a squad of terminators led by a librarian.

In the spirit of keeping things entertaining I am happy to take the second list as a mirror match for Raphus' army. I will swap out the terminators for Tycho and his DC as I have spent my hobby time this week finishing them off in a frenzy. It is always disheartening to have models which you have lovingly painted over a long time stand next to ones you did rapidly to fill out a squad and actually see that the quality difference is negligible!

• Locked thread