Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Why does tim insist on loving with the font every drat time. Though drat this keyboard feels as fresh and fast as it's ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is Apple news not live yet? I open it and it's completely blank except for the spinning loading symbol which never ends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone else having trouble with iCloud backups after the iOS 9 upgrade? My backup now says 0 kb and will not backup at all.
I was having this problem during the last version of the public beta, but it's been fine since I installed the GM (and now the release)

various cheeses posted:

Is Apple news not live yet? I open it and it's completely blank except for the spinning loading symbol which never ends.
Working for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Apple require a real life person to accept the iPhone package? Or can I leave a note or something? My plans changed and I might not be home on Friday anymore to wait around. I do live in a secure building though and have had Fedex/UPS leave hundreds of dollars worth of purchases inside the locked building so I wouldn't really be worried about theft so much.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Apple require a real life person to accept the iPhone package? Or can I leave a note or something? My plans changed and I might not be home on Friday anymore to wait around. I do live in a secure building though and have had Fedex/UPS leave hundreds of dollars worth of purchases inside the locked building so I wouldn't really be worried about theft so much.

Typically yep but it depends on how stringent the exact shipping carrier they're using is and the behavior of the local office of that shipping carrier. Basically we can't tell you.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think, if you ordered direct from Apple, they have a form you can pre-sign and tape to your door to authorize the carrier to drop it off. Not sure though if you ordered via phone provider.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They generally send you a form you can fill out and sign for the carrier to leave it.

They don't necessarily follow it. Your best bet is probably to have it redirected to a UPS/FedEx store. This may or may not cost you a few bucks.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone else having trouble with iCloud backups after the iOS 9 upgrade? My backup now says 0 kb and will not backup at all.

My iCloud backup was gone after upgrading to iOS 9. I had 5GB iCloud storage free again.
Really weird but at least I was able to make a new backup with no problems whatsoever.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

Nope and I doubt you'll ever be able to do so.

but.. but... I really hate it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Orange silicone 6S case showed up last night. Pretty sweet color. Is that the first shipping stuff from the keynote?

It feels a bit more slippy than the black leather one I had on my 6, but it should avoid the water damage that the leather one had.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

smackfu posted:

Orange silicone 6S case showed up last night. Pretty sweet color. Is that the first shipping stuff from the keynote?

It feels a bit more slippy than the black leather one I had on my 6, but it should avoid the water damage that the leather one had.

Along these lines, has anyone used a Diztronic case on an iphone? They are highly reviewed for a lot of android phones and I've had a few now but I'm not sure what the current recommendations are for iphones, specifically the plus model.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Along these lines, has anyone used a Diztronic case on an iphone? They are highly reviewed for a lot of android phones and I've had a few now but I'm not sure what the current recommendations are for iphones, specifically the plus model.

incipio NGP is a really nice diztronic-like that engadget named their best iphone case a short while back

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

suddenlyissoon posted:

Content Blockers are going to make me use Safari again...SAFARI!

I don't know man, maybe this article will change your mind

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

various cheeses posted:

It works like half the time for me. Servers possibly just getting wrecked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carlton Banks posted:

Or just run Chrome's developer profiler on any website and gawk at all the poo poo it does that has nothing to do with the content you're interested in.

I forget what the average webpage size is these days, there was a story on it recently that talked about it and the numbers are comical.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

There's not a :irony: big enough for that image. I love it.

Was it MacLife (one of the macrumor sites, at least) that did an article on why adblocking on iOS is bad, but they disabled all the ads and scripting on JUST that article to make themselves look better? The comments on the article pointed it out and the whole thing spiraled out of control from there. It was pretty hilarious.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 17, 2015

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Once my iPhone 6S arrives, I have the option of trading in my iPhone 5 to Verizon for $200. My plan before I found out about this was to give my iPhone 5 to my wife. Does anyone know if I could get a cheap iPhone 5 off of eBay or something and turn that into Verizon instead of my personal iPhone 5? Or will they be able to tell it isn't the same iPhone 5 I've used for the past three years? Also, is there a preferred site for purchasing used phones at this point?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Klungar posted:

Once my iPhone 6S arrives, I have the option of trading in my iPhone 5 to Verizon for $200. My plan before I found out about this was to give my iPhone 5 to my wife. Does anyone know if I could get a cheap iPhone 5 off of eBay or something and turn that into Verizon instead of my personal iPhone 5? Or will they be able to tell it isn't the same iPhone 5 I've used for the past three years? Also, is there a preferred site for purchasing used phones at this point?

Give your wife your phone and move on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Klungar posted:

I can't comment on what Verizon is looking for, but you're probably not going to come out too far ahead doing that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Give your wife your phone and move on.

Endless Mike posted:

I can't comment on what Verizon is looking for, but you're probably not going to come out too far ahead doing that.

Thanks! It is just a 16 GB so it looks like I could make a buck or two but a lot less than I was perhaps expecting and definitely not worth the effort/risk.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Klungar posted:

Thanks! It is just a 16 GB so it looks like I could make a buck or two but a lot less than I was perhaps expecting and definitely not worth the effort/risk.

Yeah they days of selling it for $100 less than new are over.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm torn on which adblocker to get. Peace seems good and is a buck less than Purify. I missed the boat on Crystal free, apparently "very limited time" means less than 24 hours, and I couldn't update until this morning. drat.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mulva posted:

Yeah they days of selling it for $100 less than new are over.

Nah, I was looking for the reverse, I was wanting to buy another iPhone 5 for $100 or something to trade in to Verizon for $200 so I could keep my existing iPhone 5, but looks like used iPhone 5s basically start at $200.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using Peace because Ghostery's database is also used for enterprise applications and likely to be well maintained.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm using Peace because Ghostery's database is also used for enterprise applications and likely to be well maintained.

I got this too and so far so good. It was also a single united states dollar which is good too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought I was going crazy because I kept hitting the Pause button in timer and not Start, but it seems Apple swapped the positions over for... reasons?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought I was going crazy because I kept hitting the Pause button in timer and not Start, but it seems Apple swapped the positions over for... reasons?

My coworker was complaining about this today too. Unless you work in my office.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress, I thought I was going crazy too. Why would they even do this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Siri decided to just not work at all. The waveform moved when I talked, but it didn't translate it into English and thought I wasn't' saying anything. So I rebooted my phone and it fixed it. I love x.0 releases.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

jesus christ the podcast app looks insanely bad. gently caress tim, again and again.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

jesus christ the podcast app looks insanely bad. gently caress tim, again and again.

I kinda like the new look, it ain't bad. What's so terrible about it? I like that video podcasts in portrait mode don't just waste 95% of the screen with blank space now. The backgrounds being the color of the logo is meh, but i don't hate it.

That being said it's still a buggy piece of loving garbage and I hate myself for being too lazy to switch to something else. It's magically even more buggy than it was before.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

something clever posted:

With the new iOS, the message app now has your contact's pictures right there. Is there a way to remove this?

Mine doesn't but I don't have contact pictures set.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ddogflex posted:

I kinda like the new look, it ain't bad. What's so terrible about it?

Maybe I'm being deliberately dense, but is there no way to make an "on the go" playlist in the Podcast.app anymore? I don't like that.

My, probably outlier, usage case was that I'd just queue up a few specific episodes from my unlistened feed in the "on the go" playlist option and listen to that playlist. Now it seems like my only option is to have a smart-playlist thing in app that grabs just the latest episode of a show, which isn't what I want.

I guess I can just start playing a particular podcast and then use the "add to up next" option, but thats not great either.

EDIT: Yeaaahhh...that looks like how its done now. Eh..

EDIT2:

LOL.

Trigger warning: The Verge.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 17, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have zero tears about content blocking, and I've got ads on my website.

My ads make me poo poo all money because the rates are set by the advertisers (or to be succinct: Google) and the publishers of content have always been hosed. Buy a magazine and the circulation amount sets how much the ads are worth, but someone in the interim decided that 'ads shown per thousand impressions' are worth essentially nothing. Unless you're running a site with a ridiculous amount of traffic, you have to show advertisements based on clicks. So I can fill my sites with adverts that nobody clicks, I get nothing and it ruins the experience for my viewers. The only winners are the advertising agencies, because their message is out there and it cost them nothing.

It was always a matter of time before someone said "you know what, gently caress you".

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If anyone is interested Costco has a $100 mail in rebate on iPhone 6S/6S+ for T-Mobile customers and $50 for Sprint customers. Cashback comes in the form of a Costco cash card though.

http://membershipwireless.com/46845/iphone-6s-plus-rose-gold-128gb

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does the ad blocking work in all browsers (specifically Chrome), or is Apple using it to push people back to Safari?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

withak posted:

Does the ad blocking work in all browsers (specifically Chrome), or is Apple using it to push people back to Safari?

All browsers implementing the Safari View Controller.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

All browsers implementing the Safari View Controller.

Do you know if Chrome implements the Safari View Controller?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snuffman posted:

EDIT2:

LOL.

Trigger warning: The Verge.

Ahahahahahaha :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Articles about how iOS 9's content blocker is the new Satan is the best iOS 9 feature.