Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm guessing KGWife is pregnant again and he's scared to tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Let's see, he said they've been tailgating, hosting get togethers, and doing family stuff every weekend. The wife got a new phone, which may or may not have cost them. And he went out of town for a few days or something. Plus the car wreck. I'm hoping that doesn't necessarily mean they went hog wild this past month.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

I'm guessing KGWife is pregnant again and he's scared to tell us.

Beat me to it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
He basically been hinting at August being overspend and with all the activity that's been going on it sounds like September is overspent.

My wild card (I hope this isn't true) guess is they bought a second car.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I really really really hope KG gets in here soon and makes us all feel better.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Bugamol posted:

"Well when we heard she was pregnant with twins we traded in the car for two Honda CRVs. We've taken up hiking as a low-cost hobby, and I've started a energy-bar related business to raise a little extra cash."

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inverse Icarus posted:

"Well when we heard she was pregnant with twins we traded in the car for two Honda CRVs. We've taken up hiking as a low-cost hobby, and I've started a energy-bar related business to raise a little extra cash."

I almost played a twin card, but I just wasn't in the mood today. lovely weather or something.

No my wife isn't pregnant again. She's on that 5 year birth control implant or something like that.

Thanks guys. I'm just having some motivation problems. I think a lot of it has to do with my job. I'm to the point where it's like I don't even want to bother after putting so much time and effort into finding something better, and being unable to; I feel stuck, and some poo poo I've read on here has made it much worse. To the point where it's like my confidence in my work, and my ability to find something better is just a little in the dirt at the moment. It's also made me more wary to share in here.

I'll dig myself out of the rut. My buddy covered the cost of a concert ticket this evening, so that'll be fun. my concert gear budget is $700

Nah just playing on that last part. I'll fill you guys in when I get out of this little mode. That's one of the goals of this side project I'm working on.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
What band?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Kids in the Hall. He bought everything at the merch table. But don't worry, guys-- he wears those shirts every day to work.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I want an update in that thread so bad

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

gently caress that thread. I left, and I'm glad. Whoever linked that thread here can burn in hell.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

It was a trio of In This Moment, Papa Roach, and Five Finger Death Punch.

It was pretty fun. I haven't done something with just friends in awhile, and hey can't beat free (well except I bought a t-shirt).

I'll post some videos I got later. My phone takes great video and I was pretty surprised by the recording quality.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

It was a trio of In This Moment, Papa Roach, and Five Finger Death Punch.

It was pretty fun. I haven't done something with just friends in awhile, and hey can't beat free (well except I bought a t-shirt).

I'll post some videos I got later. My phone takes great video and I was pretty surprised by the recording quality.

I ended up seeing In This Moment twice this past year. She is pretty talented and more than a gimmick. Not into the other two very much, but I'm glad you got to enjoy a night out. Back to the grind!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Gonna go ahead and toss in a bet that KG has blown both his August and September budgets by $500. That's assuming the September even budget exists.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Gonna laugh really hard if KG goes to the effort of uploading his Papa Roach videos and still hasn't posted the August #s more than halfway through September.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I mean it's pretty obvious at this point that he's overspent. Hopefully not significantly, but he's avoiding posting any real numbers so the thread doesn't beat him up.

He'll probably do some napkin math and start budgeting again in October without explaining why his bank balances dropped $1,000-$3,000.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bros, I got this - I GOT THIS.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

something clever posted:

I ended up seeing In This Moment twice this past year. She is pretty talented and more than a gimmick. Not into the other two very much, but I'm glad you got to enjoy a night out. Back to the grind!

Yeah I was very impressed with their theatrical performance. The dancers sure were distracting :stare:.

Alright so I'll just say it. Yes we bought a second car. Not even for the commute. We live in the suburbs because my work is in the suburbs, and unfortunately that has consequences. I have no delusion that we needed a second car, but I did want one. You guys may not like it, but as a few have said I need to spend my money how I want to; not to make everyone here happy. I had a pretty clear idea of where most here stood on the issue, so I didn't feel that it was necessary to consult further.

Ideally would I like to ride my bike every day and just cruise it around everywhere like Mr Money Mustache or something? Sure. In fact I will continue to commute to work on my bike a few days a week. When my son is old enough I fully intend on strapping him in and going on family bike rides all of the time with my wife, too. However I no longer wanted to be without a second car for a number of reasons, so I'm not any longer. I have put my sand rail and classic VW Baja Bug on Craigslist, so that will help cover the costs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yes!

How much? How new? What are the payments? How much did you get on the bike trade in? Looks like you kept the bike so ignore that one I suppose.

P.S. maybe you are pulling our leg though.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Was it at least cheap?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At least the car is cheaper than a new baby.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Bugamol posted:

Knyteguy posted:

Alright so I'll just say it. Yes we bought a second car. Not even for the commute.

A.) Hope you're joking
B.) If you're not joking I hope you at least bought a beater since it's a second car
C.) If you're not joking and added a car payment / insurance costs you have even more reason to post budgets and reconcile spend every month

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lmao

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Yes!

How much? How new? What are the payments? How much did you get on the bike trade in? Looks like you kept the bike so ignore that one I suppose.

P.S. maybe you are pulling our leg though.

$2000, 20 years old, $0/mo.

foxatee posted:

Was it at least cheap?

Not cheap cheap, but I believe manageable (see above).

Bugamol posted:

A.) Hope you're joking
B.) If you're not joking I hope you at least bought a beater since it's a second car
C.) If you're not joking and added a car payment / insurance costs you have even more reason to post budgets and reconcile spend every month

It's kind of a beater yeah. A well maintained beater though.

I've added insurance already - it's $40/mo extra. I added some additional coverage to our Corolla too though (medical coverage while we have no health insurance), so that's not accounting for only the second car. Since we're not paying health insurance for the next two months we'll be and have been making way more than usual, so that will cover the medical payments there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

20 years old and $2000 seems like a lot. Could have probably got something from the early 2000's for the same price.

Enjoy the new whip though. Put on some hubcap spinners.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

$2000, 20 years old, $0/mo.

You're not going to get an argument out of me on this- just make sure you also increase/begin to set aside maintenance costs for the second car particularly considering the age of the vehicle.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Is it an e34?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Looking back through the thread it looks like the last time we got an "actual" update from you was at the beginning of July for June spend where you were overspent and failed the charity challenge. Now you've basically gone dark on the thread for 3 months and apparently bought a car during that time. Have you blown through all your savings at this point?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Can we get updated cc balances, other debt, savings, etc?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

sheri posted:

And a fourth line for Net Envelope Balances.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

20 years old and $2000 seems like a lot. Could have probably got something from the early 2000's for the same price.

The bonus here is I can do most of the maintenance on the car (labor wise) for six packs and pizza. My uncle and cousin have tons of experience working on them. I can also borrow tools for anything I want to take on myself.

IllegallySober posted:

You're not going to get an argument out of me on this- just make sure you also increase/begin to set aside maintenance costs for the second car particularly considering the age of the vehicle.

Alright will do. The budget hasn't been adjusted yet, as we just bought the car last week. My plan is to drive it less than 5,000 miles per year as it's mostly an occasional errand car (its first use was driving my son to the doctor for shots), so hopefully that will keep maintenance costs down per year. I'll do some (more) math and come up with a good number here.

SiGmA_X posted:

Is it an e34?

I did look at BMWs, but I couldn't find one for a price I wanted in the condition I wanted. The only one I could find was at a shady dealership (and I was pretty set on buying private party), and the car seemed to have a lot of problems.

Bugamol posted:

Looking back through the thread it looks like the last time we got an "actual" update from you was at the beginning of July for June spend where you were overspent and failed the charity challenge. Now you've basically gone dark on the thread for 3 months and apparently bought a car during that time. Have you blown through all your savings at this point?

Not at all. I didn't think screw the finances or something. I just bought the car last week. It really has come down to just time lately. I'm sure activities will ease up as my wife and I grow more accustomed to having weekends off together (it's only been a month), and I'll have more time to post again.

sheri posted:

CC balance: $7.99/$300
Car Debt: $20,714
SL1: $4,119.67
SL2: $3,260.27
Medical: $21,000

Savings: $6,833

No new debts or anything of course.

Also I have the sand rail and bug listed at $1,500. I'm expecting around $900-$1,100. That should help replenish the savings.

SiGmA_X posted:

And a fourth line for Net Envelope Balances.

Can't answer this one currently, as I don't have the complete information in front of me.

Job stuff: my friend just said the company he works for is looking for developers and asked if I was interested. I may be looking at an interview with them soon. It'll be good to have him as a reference, as he's a senior developer with them.

Edit: forgot the Oculus Rift that's pending (it doesn't charge until it ships). Updated savings. If my project absolutely flops though, then I can resell it for the price back fairly easily.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 18, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

spwrozek posted:

That's not really true these days. $2000 is probably about as little as one can spend and have a chance of getting a reliable car.

E:
Here is the thing with both of these purchases. You did not actually budget for either of them. You did not choose to less spend money in one part of your life - blow/restaurants - and set money aside from either of these things. You just decided I WANT NOW like an impulse spending 5 year old would.

What is your business plan with this Oculus. Do you already have a bunch of code in place when you get it? I'm sure you can do a bunch of development using some sort of SDK/simulation stuff that doesn't require you to actually have one of these things. Why is it that you continue to sucker yourself into these get rich quick business schemes? You'd have a far larger net benefit to your financial well being if you just delivered pizza instead of waste a bunch of time on something that you probably won't finish and even if you do will probably flop.

n8r fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 18, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I just meant a 2002 probably goes for the same price with less miles and years on it. $2k is about the min you can spend I agree.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
What's the point of this thread? More pointless navel gazing, and decisions that are explicitly BWM.

I thought this was a place to discuss finances? Y'know, budgets, expenditures... not a personal blog of whatever flavour of the minute update KG decides to distribute among the masses.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

That's not really true these days. $2000 is probably about as little as one can spend and have a chance of getting a reliable car.

E:
Here is the thing with both of these purchases. You did not actually budget for either of them. You did not choose to less spend money in one part of your life - blow/restaurants - and set money aside from either of these things. You just decided I WANT NOW like an impulse spending 5 year old would.

What is your business plan with this Oculus. Do you already have a bunch of code in place when you get it? I'm sure you can do a bunch of development using some sort of SDK/simulation stuff that doesn't require you to actually have one of these things. Why is it that you continue to sucker yourself into these get rich quick business schemes? You'd have a far larger net benefit to your financial well being if you just delivered pizza instead of waste a bunch of time on something that you probably won't finish and even if you do will probably flop.

I felt like I was in a bit of a catch-22 budgeting for the car. My family, my wife's family, and even my boss has been encouraging me to get one, but I kept holding out for finances and stuff. Finally I just gave in and tried to do it reasonably. That's not to say I didn't want one of course, either. I came to the conclusion after much thought.

Oculus - I don't have a bunch of code written, however I have been doing a ton of research, following their forums, looking at the competition, I've been learning Blender and Unity, I've been planning the hardware end of it, looking at 3D printer rentals in the area (for a prototype), and etc. I've definitely been busy, especially the past few weekends. I don't necessarily need some big production line at the end of this or something like that either; I'm just trying out some ideas to see what works and what doesn't. My plan is to get it working with just a keyboard at first, even if it won't ship with keyboard support (it would be pointless).

I don't think I'm suckering myself at all. One of my motivations is seeing all the Goons in BFC who have developed side incomes. I'm only ever really sinking time into the couple of projects I've started, so it doesn't often affect our finances. I also did ship a (albeit free) product just a few months ago, so I can manage again. Plus I want this product for myself, so if nothing else I'll get some fun and education myself out of it.

Regarding the pizza delivery - I have been talking to my wife about picking up a second job. I'm not going to commit to anything like this yet though. I need to see what's going on when the dust settles on everything else.

Grouco posted:

What's the point of this thread? More pointless navel gazing, and decisions that are explicitly BWM.

I thought this was a place to discuss finances? Y'know, budgets, expenditures... not a personal blog of whatever flavour of the minute update KG decides to distribute among the masses.

This thread is a place to discuss business, finances, and careers. It's a lot of work keeping a thread going, so sometimes I neglect it, especially with a 7 month old child and a wife who deserves attention as well. Sometimes things happen where we talk about personal stuff in here, because many times personal stuff is absolutely tangentially related to business, finance, and careers.

But maybe don't worry about it. It's likely fine if you like skip the thread in BFC.

Edit: also why don't you just go ahead and tell me what your deal is? I'm tired of all the snideness and passive aggressive jabs you make towards me.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 18, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I felt like I was in a bit of a catch-22 budgeting for the car. My family, my wife's family, and even my boss has been encouraging me to get one, but I kept holding out for finances and stuff. Finally I just gave in and tried to do it reasonably. That's not to say I didn't want one of course, either. I came to the conclusion after much thought.

Is this good reasoning to make a poor financial decision? I am under the impression both sides of your family are absolute garbage with money so why would you listen to them?

You came to the conclusion after much bogus justifying of a poor decision and very little patience. If you had bucked up and cut back $400 in other parts of your budget, it would have taken you all of 5 months to save up for this car. This would have been easier if you still even had a budget.

Of all of the software ideas/projects you could have implemented why did you pick one that involved purchasing a $350 piece of hardware? If you want to make money why not do one of those slave labor priced coding for a small bid thing - something like the Web stuff from here:
http://99designs.com/categories - You could be making money and working on skills at the same time.

Do you ever want to be able to retire or help put your kid through college?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Nah, that would require balls and a sense of self-worth.

Has anyone in this thread suggested therapy (CBT) before? Oh wait...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

None of them are paying for the car.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I believe he's done some therapy, but his guy hasn't been concerned about his finances. I think he should find a therapist that works specifically with spending problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Ideally would I like to ride my bike every day and just cruise it around everywhere like Mr Money Mustache or something? Sure.
You say this like it's some crazy expectation BFC is trying to impose on you, but you're the one who said he wanted to reach FI quickly. It sounds like getting a second car works against that, and you gave no reason for doing so other than "I wanted one so there".

You've definitely made some good progress, but it kind of feels like you're plateauing now, which would be fine if you had already reached the kind of crazy high savings rate Mustachians often have, but you haven't. Do you still want to become financially independent at a young age? If so, how do you see yourself achieving that?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread