Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chrome doesn't. I can understand people who want to sync chrome mobile to their machines using it, but God is that browser bad on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
gently caress I hate this new app switcher.

That's all, really.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

withak posted:

Do you know if Chrome implements the Safari View Controller?

As already mentioned, it doesn't, but to expand a little more it almost certainly never will. Safari View Controller is a replacement for the mini browsers that developers build into their apps to handle when you click a link. It can't realistically be used to make a whole separate browser app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tuyop posted:

That's all, really.

Yeah I don't know, I was on the fence about it at first then I started to find it really annoying and .. oh actually I'm still at that stage.

I fear change, I guess :smith:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I updated, and suddenly I am incapable of backing up my phone to icloud. I have 4.8 out of 5gb available, with my ipad using 70mb for its backup (and my phone using 0kb according to manage storage). icloud drive is off, photo backup is off (I use onedrive). The only things checked "on" in the icloud settings page is contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, news, backup, keychain, and find my phone. It keeps saying I don't have enough room.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

tuyop posted:

That's all, really.

It's pretty much worse in every way, and backwards on top of it.

The old version used to show the badges on your apps while switching (number of unread texts, messages, emails, etc), the new one doesn't. Why

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 18, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I updated, and suddenly I am incapable of backing up my phone to icloud. I have 4.8 out of 5gb available, with my ipad using 70mb for its backup (and my phone using 0kb according to manage storage). icloud drive is off, photo backup is off (I use onedrive). The only things checked "on" in the icloud settings page is contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, news, backup, keychain, and find my phone. It keeps saying I don't have enough room.

Same here actually.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Serenade posted:

Articles about how iOS 9's content blocker is the new Satan is the best iOS 9 feature.

I remember The Verge running an article crying about how bad mobile browsing was .... blaming the browser devs.

It was the most ignorant "news" article I've ever suffered through. The fact alone that the verge runs over 20 different trackers means they should be run over by a truck for EVER complaining about how bad browsing is. I have zero and I mean ZERO tears for these idiots.

There are a few sites I will allow ads to run on that I read frequently, but they are not trying to suck the life out of my browser and my data either.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Same here actually.

I tried signing out of icloud, restarting my phone, and signing in, as was suggested by others. this did not work unfortunately

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I remember The Verge running an article crying about how bad mobile browsing was .... blaming the browser devs.

It was the most ignorant "news" article I've ever suffered through. The fact alone that the verge runs over 20 different trackers means they should be run over by a truck for EVER complaining about how bad browsing is. I have zero and I mean ZERO tears for these idiots.

There are a few sites I will allow ads to run on that I read frequently, but they are not trying to suck the life out of my browser and my data either.

I know we're talking mobile ads, but I was presented with this on my desktop browser.

Is this part of the joke or is it pretty much theverge.jpg? I rarely visit that website to begin with, and this certainly doesn't make me want to go back more frequently.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
I love how upset The Verge is over this. In their article about Peace They go out of their way to mention The Magizine's failure and quote some other people being upset.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Butt Savage posted:

theverge.jpg?

Yup

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Am I dumb or is there no longer a way to browse/see what songs you've liked/disliked in a radio station? I accidentally chose don't play more like this for a song I actually liked and before I would just pop over on my mac and fix it but now I can't see to actually browse within the stations I've made.

I don't think they care about radio at loving all.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fZ7Ap6ebs

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I dumb or is there no longer a way to browse/see what songs you've liked/disliked in a radio station? I accidentally chose don't play more like this for a song I actually liked and before I would just pop over on my mac and fix it but now I can't see to actually browse within the stations I've made.

I don't think they care about radio at loving all.

Yeah I'm curious about this too. How's Spotify compared to this? I'm thinking I might switch over once the 3 months of apple music are done.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple Music is garbage. The lack of polish on that app is staggering.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
With respect to that smart list when you search on your "desktop" screen, are there settings somewhere I can use? Like, I could give a gently caress about Bing search results...
Also
I keep hearing about deep linking to poo poo like Dropbox and Pinterest and I keep trying it and I get nothing from apps like that.

Lastly when you swipe and go to the leftmost screen there are news items it from sources that are not part of my picked lists in the news app... From poo poo I give no fucks about. Any control over that?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ddogflex posted:

I kinda like the new look, it ain't bad. What's so terrible about it? I like that video podcasts in portrait mode don't just waste 95% of the screen with blank space now. The backgrounds being the color of the logo is meh, but i don't hate it.

That being said it's still a buggy piece of loving garbage and I hate myself for being too lazy to switch to something else. It's magically even more buggy than it was before.

I'd advise you keep an eye on your battery after using the app. In the previous beta, in some instances the app would not stop attempting to background refresh, even with background refresh off. Or, you know, in airplane mode (obviously it wasn't successful in this mode, but god love it, it tried). Only fix was to restart the phone.

It's fixed in the 9 beta so hopefully that made it into GM too.

Overall, I like the new look of the app. It seems to play more nicely with manually-added podcasts synced to the device. But yeah, even buggier than before when it comes to advanced features like "playing podcasts."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how to convert cpbmp files from an iPhone backup into a usable picture? I lost the original photo for my background and have gotten to the point of having found the files I'm supposed to convert, but nothing opens them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'll ask this in here since this thread gets a bit of traffic. Is there a way to handoff a phone call or FaceTime session that's in progress from one device to another? Like if I'm taking phone call on my iPhone can I transfer it to my iPad or Mac? I know with handoff and continuity I can pick up a phone call from my Mac or iPad, but I can't find a way to transfer a call in progress.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I tried signing out of icloud, restarting my phone, and signing in, as was suggested by others. this did not work unfortunately

Had this all through betas and on GM - in the end it took to disabling iCloud backup for apps that have lots of offline data such as Spotify in the iCloud backup settings. It seems it was trying to backup my ~45GB of offline music but not clearly showing that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If anyone cares painlessly took my iphone with the random darkness on the right side in for a replacement. Said the backlight just burnt out on the right side, no ones fault. I did very very briefly drop half of it in water but that was a while ago. Didn't investigate anything. Also get a 3 month warrant from today which is a nice touch. Has 8.4.1 though so no jailbreak I guess.

She said they usually just fix the screen there but their digitizer whatever doesn't work with ios9 yet and I had to wipe my jailbreak

Welp that's my story thanks.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 18, 2015

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Pardon me if this has been covered - I did a quick search and found nothing.

Did a clean restore on my iPad mini 2 with iOS 9.0 and after the fresh install it still reports I have 10GB available space for use. Shouldn't this be much greater now with the vastly reduced size of iOS 9?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Mark me down as another dude who can't use iCloud. Glad I'm paying monthly for it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

On the flip side of my earlier question, what's the best/safest place to buy a used iPhone? I'm thinking it might be worth it to buy an iPhone 5 32 GB to replace the iPhone 5 16 GB I have before giving it to my wife, since at least on Gazelle the price differential between the two is ~$10-15. My concern is that I'm not sure I'd be getting a phone in decent condition with a functioning battery et al. My current phone has a broken power button but otherwise functions fine, so I don't want to sacrifice that for storage space.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Folks using 5s are they happy with their upgrade to iOS9? I'm kinda scurred to upgrade that my battery life will go even further to poop.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I also can't upload to Facebook from the Youtube app. An iOS message comes up telling me to log into Facebook to use this function, but I am logged in through the settings app and always have been.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit 2 Found a backup simply titled "Iphone" without my name but thankfully it had the time/date of the backup so I knew it assumed it was it and it was, phew

gently caress. Itunes synced and overwrote my backup from earlier today. Am I completely hosed? (windows)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 18, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Housh posted:

Folks using 5s are they happy with their upgrade to iOS9? I'm kinda scurred to upgrade that my battery life will go even further to poop.
It's a bit more sluggish after the update I believe, and my battery life seems to have taken a hit. However, that's always my worry when I update so I might just be imagining things.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

5s definitely more sluggish.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

5s definitely more sluggish.

It's a bit faster on mine, especially Siri.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I remember that article and how hilariously out of touch it was. Literally blaming browsers for why websites are so slow as they cram 20 MB websites down your throat with JavaScript calling 39 different external websites for "metrics."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yep-5s is definitely a little more sluggish with the new iOS. I can tell there's a delay in typing sometimes, and especially when scrolling through the forums. Also seems to lag a bit going to spotlight.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I found things sluggish for an hour or so after the update but then things perked right up after it finished indexing or whatever. Awful.app is still kind of clunky when scrolling though, but it's a known bug in its autolayout and a guy has already submitted a patch for it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endless Mike posted:

I use the Outlook app (which supports Gmail push and even has some nice sorting features so most emails do NOT give a notification), and have Mail set to fetch every 15 minutes, which might be too often, really.

The conclusion I reached was that I should turn off Notifications on Mail.app, set it to fetch every hour, and use Inbox. That way, I still get instant notifications of mails (I don't get very much mail) and within an hour it's quietly archived into Siri.

I've also sort of been mulling over leaving some Google services. I went from 2005-2012 being very pro-Google and thinking it's critics were paranoid maniacs (or just competitors; Scroogled lol) to spending 2013 onward thinking that competitors are encrypting their data so that even they can't access it, but Google can't do that since the adwords/monetization scanners have to be able to access your content.

When I set up GMail in 2004, it's spam filtering was lightyears ahead of anything like my ISP and it's pathetic SpamAssassin setup, and other free email services like Excite and Hotmail just became an avalanche of spam. I wonder if the other services (iCloud, Outlook, etc) have caught up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seeing the Verge poo poo itself over ad blockers is glorious

Before and after

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 18, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The web should've worked out a micropayment system akin to paypal (but less hated) that was quick, secure and easy and meant access to good quality journalism free of intrusive ads and tracking. But no, they forced us into a system that everyone hates and now we have the ability to do something about it.

Funny how Android has had ad blockers for ages, yet it's only when iOS gets involved does the industry poo poo itself. Guess all those metrics must tell them that that's the only platform to worry about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno how it is now but when I was on Android, running an ad blocker was a bit more complex than how it is on iOS now. It seemed to run everything through its own connection, so all web traffic was routed through a proxy and that would strip out the ads. As far as I remember, it made Netflix have sync issues. I dunno what it's like now though!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

EL BROMANCE posted:

The web should've worked out a micropayment system akin to paypal (but less hated) that was quick, secure and easy and meant access to good quality journalism free of intrusive ads and tracking.
Now imagine if all it took was a quick thumbprint scan on Apple Pay and a tiny $0.05 payment to see a piece of content - I get the feeling more people would be willing to do that than to pay a large monthly subscription whether they're regularly checking the site or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

I found things sluggish for an hour or so after the update but then things perked right up after it finished indexing or whatever. Awful.app is still kind of clunky when scrolling though, but it's a known bug in its autolayout and a guy has already submitted a patch for it.

Yeah I was a bit worried as everything was running fairly loving slowly on mine, but after an hour or so it was ok. Speed seems about the same as it was before on my 5s.