Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I found this and thought I'd share.

If you're tired of VST installers trying to put thing in /Steinberg/ or wherever then you can set and forget with this little program....

http://www.asseca.org/setVSTpath/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I found this and thought I'd share.

If you're tired of VST installers trying to put thing in /Steinberg/ or wherever then you can set and forget with this little program....

http://www.asseca.org/setVSTpath/index.html

OH MY GOD

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Updated to Windows 10 which has turned into a mini nightmare regarding iLok. The license manager refused to open on my machines, and after a few hours of figuring out why and what solution worked, it "duplicated" my hosts. So as soon as I logged in, even though there were zero changes to the device's hardware, software, or naming, I now have two instances of my laptop and two instances of my desktop in there, the downside being I only have three activations for most of my products, and two are being used on the "old" hardware. Anyone have any luck fighting around this? I've searched for information but I'll probably give up and contact their tech support. :/

On the upside, NI, as always, works like a charm with no hassle and Arturia now has a software center that lets me leave that stupid dongle in a drawer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm looking for a really nice glockenspiel VST, free is good but not too important, any suggestions?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reaktor 6 is out restart Steam

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tayter Swift posted:

Cool, maybe I'll have a reason to update Komplete next year.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Updated to Windows 10 which has turned into a mini nightmare regarding iLok.

There's a Microsoft employee who's a Gearslutz regular who spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the deal was with iLok on Windows 10. He kinda threw up his hands.

Roland finally published Win 10 drivers for my workstation, but I'm still waiting for Steinberg to give the green light before experimenting with Win 10 (I have two system drives. Will upgrade on my test drive).

Also, re: Reaktor 6- I was convinced they were saving that for the next Komplete. I wonder if this is a hint that NI really have slipped into an 18-month Komplete cycle?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Oh my gently caress you can literally double click modules to rename them instead of having to move the cursor back and forth between the properties panel over and over and over. It took 6 versions and 15+ years of development to get this. Bless you NI

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 9, 2015

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Dumb rantssssssss

- As far as I can tell there is still no module instancing. Reaktor still actively punishes you for trying to encapsulate things. If you want to swap out a module for a new version you have to re-create all the connections between that module and everything else even if they haven't changed at all. If you have a rack of 8 samplers and make a change which needs to be reflected across all of them, you lose 20 minutes clicking and dragging out all the wires again.
- It's still a stupid click-fest to create connections between send/receive terminals
- They changed the color scheme again. Stellar. I don't really like it but I guess I'll get used to it.
- My wrists still hurt

As an end user I absolutely love Reaktor - it beats all the alternatives by a mile and I'm going to keep using it to make cool stuff. But as a software developer Reaktor has one of the most needlessly tedious programming environments out there. I assume the designers are a bunch of electrical engineers and circuit benders who are used to literally soldering wires together and don't realize how much less painful they could make the software for programmers. Or there's some hateful scheme to induce carpal tunnel syndrome in as many of their userbase as possible.

tl;dr, Reaktor still owns, Reaktor is loving garbage. Reaktor is life

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Dicky B posted:

Dumb rantssssssss

- As far as I can tell there is still no module instancing. Reaktor still actively punishes you for trying to encapsulate things. If you want to swap out a module for a new version you have to re-create all the connections between that module and everything else even if they haven't changed at all. If you have a rack of 8 samplers and make a change which needs to be reflected across all of them, you lose 20 minutes clicking and dragging out all the wires again.
- It's still a stupid click-fest to create connections between send/receive terminals
- They changed the color scheme again. Stellar. I don't really like it but I guess I'll get used to it.
- My wrists still hurt

As an end user I absolutely love Reaktor - it beats all the alternatives by a mile and I'm going to keep using it to make cool stuff. But as a software developer Reaktor has one of the most needlessly tedious programming environments out there. I assume the designers are a bunch of electrical engineers and circuit benders who are used to literally soldering wires together and don't realize how much less painful they could make the software for programmers. Or there's some hateful scheme to induce carpal tunnel syndrome in as many of their userbase as possible.

tl;dr, Reaktor still owns, Reaktor is loving garbage. Reaktor is life

great post

breaks
May 12, 2001

The new Blocks stuff is fun. :unsmith:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Yea blocks are cool, I've started converting some of my older stuff to Block format. Someone already made a voice allocator block too, for anyone bummed out by the lack of polyphony.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Dicky B posted:

Yea blocks are cool, I've started converting some of my older stuff to Block format. Someone already made a voice allocator block too, for anyone bummed out by the lack of polyphony.

That's rad that you're designing blocks already. Oh I REALLY wanna snag that upgrade, but I'm trying really hard to be patient and wait for the next Komplete.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man, I really want to get in to making Blocks but it means I'll have to learn (a) Primary, (b) Core, (c) Blocks Framework and probably (d) DSP.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

We can all read The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing together.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Study group this weekend in the library then? Can't do Saturday afternoon tho -- manager at Dairy Queen said I have to come in.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel posted:

I'm looking for a really nice glockenspiel VST, free is good but not too important, any suggestions?

Replying to myself but I just had a moment of clarity and bought an actual glockenspiel :v:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Replying to myself but I just had a moment of clarity and bought an actual glockenspiel :v:

This is how I ended up with an actual Kalimba. Although FM synthesis gets close, it can lack character, and samples can be mega boring. Also it's super easy to mic with a peizo pickup.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The default glockenspiel in Logic is... better than the Kirk Hunter one :stare:

Edit: oh, word of warning to anyone who wants to buy Kirk Hunter's orchestral collections, they're awesome but a) go for the hard drive option, and b) choose Kontakt over EXS24.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 17, 2015

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

you can't get "real-sounding" if it's just plain real. :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

precedence posted:

you can't get "real-sounding" if it's just plain real. :colbert:

It also cost me £9 shipped where the plug in I found was $30 :lol:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Beyond the Reaktor Blocks, what else is new in v6? Are there new ensembles (which aren't Block ones)? Are there new Core modules?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

User-side the only new thing is blocks. Programmer side:

- Core cells aren't separated into 'Audio' and 'Event' types anymore, they're unified
- The Core library was re-organized and there's a bunch of new Core standard macros.
- In Core you can create 'Bundles' which allow you to stuff multiple signals down single wires and then extract only the data you need at the other end.
- In Core you can create 'Pickup/Distribution' buses which let you send signals across different layers of a cell.
- A bunch of little visual/useability improvements e.g. wires now change color depending on what kind of signal they are carrying.
- There is a new type of data called a 'Table' which gives you an easy way to refer to data from anywhere in Primary, and access it from Core.

I think that's it. If you don't build your own stuff I'm not sure the addition of blocks alone is worth the upgrade

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

That's good to know - thanks :tipshat:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

sliderule posted:

This is how I ended up with an actual Kalimba. Although FM synthesis gets close, it can lack character, and samples can be mega boring. Also it's super easy to mic with a peizo pickup.

Add me to the list, $10 at the dollar store got me all the tambourines, shakers and hand cymbals I could ask for!

I'm posting to maybe warn people about using Minimal System Instruments plugins with reaper - I just had to do massive mix surgery on a few songs that had somehow started sounding like poo poo - turns out their Stereo Buss Compressor sometimes doesn't save its state, or resets to the default preset for some reason. But only occasionally? Anyway, I'm not gonna use it anymore. I dunno if this was a host issue or what, but beware!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I posted this in the synth thread, so here's just a quick blurb and a link to that: Randy Jones (Aalto, Kaivo, Soundplane) is making a new virtual instrument, and it should be out sometime between 30 days from now to maybe before the end of the year.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Apologies for the additional post, but I wanted to survey some other people and see what folks are doing.

I'm in the process of getting a new laptop all set up with various tools. This (newer) one is running Windows 10 64-bit, and I'm starting to install my audio software on it. Right now it's minimal, and I'm basically deciding whether or not I want to bother with 32-bit versions of most of my stuff at all (assuming there's a 64-bit version available). So far I've installed Ableton Live 9 Suite in 64-bit, FL Studio 12 in both 32-bit and 64-bit (which is what the installer does by default), Reaktor 5 and Reaktor 6 both in 64-bit, Max 7 64-bit, some plugins that come in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (Aalto, Kaivo), and REAPER 5.02 in both 32-bit and 64-bit. With REAPER, I intentionally decided to install both since it's one of the tools I use to suss out and play around with new VSTs and plugins, and it seemed like it might be a good idea to have both builds handy.

I was debating also installing e.g., Live 9 32-bit, Max 7 32-bit, and older Live & Max versions, as well as other software still on my list, but then got to thinking: should I bother? Between either native 32-bit VST/plugin bridging support where available, and things like jBridge, is there any real need to keep installing 32-bit versions on my newer systems? Granted, on my current workhorse laptop, I have both bitnesses of almost everything that comes in both installed, mostly because 64-bit versions of some of the big DAWs and suites are relatively new (Live, FL Studio, what have you), and I want to maintain legacy compatibility with older projects of mine with ideally no or minimal fuss. But for the new box, is there really any need or utility to doing so, provided I still have ways to run those 32-bit plugins that don't have or won't get 64-bit versions?

Just curious to see how others are navigating this situation.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought jBridge so I could use 32bit plugins in my 64bit Live, but i keep the 32bit versions around (jbridge needs them to work anyway), in case i want to work with a different host that's still 32bit

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

If the plugin installer gives me a choice, I will de-select the 32-bit version and only install the 64-bit. *

Pro-tip, don't use the "Program Files" folders; this can help you avoid having to launch your DAW in administrator mode to accomodate shittily-written plugins that write data to their local folders. This is what the root of my G: drive looks like:

I recently bought jBridge for the very small handful of 32-bit-only plugins I own that I wanted to keep in my toolset. But for the most part I've left 32-bit behind. (Unfortunate aside about jBridge, though- it requires launching your DAW in admin mode! Doh!)

* Also, I really hate plugin/tool installers that don't let you choose where to install stuff. MusicLab's two most recent guitars, RealRick and RealEight don't let you choose where the application or plugin files go. But my computer only has a 400GB SSD so I never install plugins, apps, or samples on my C: drive. hosed up thing is all MusicLab's previous installers gave you total control of where files went.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 23, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I basically have projects in active progress and projects that are finished. Legacy projects don't mean nothing to me. I'm also all 32 bit still because I haven't found a pressing reason to switch yet. If I ever need to switch over, it'll be a new page in the book. Anything old worth keeping will be available for reference as wav or mid. Apart from a small handful, plugins are interchangeable; there's not much I'm irrevocably invested in.

I travel light, so to speak. minidracula's setup sounds insane to me. I mean: do whatever, but I couldn't handle it. I'm not in the business of wrangling software.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Any good vsts with a bunch of world instruments? From bongos to kotos? I'm just looking for a broad pack to fill in the spaces for whatever sounds I could need for some video game composition

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

philkop posted:

Any good vsts with a bunch of world instruments? From bongos to kotos? I'm just looking for a broad pack to fill in the spaces for whatever sounds I could need for some video game composition

Kontakt's factory library comes with a lot of that stuff, and you can always add libraries as you need them or as they become cheap in an infinite spiral of neverending gear acquisition

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Trig Discipline posted:

Kontakt's factory library comes with a lot of that stuff, and you can always add libraries as you need them or as they become cheap in an infinite spiral of neverending gear acquisition

I never really understood kontakt until now. Is it kind of like what steam is for games?

I've been considering getting a workstation keyboard like the korg kross or something just so I can kind of limit myself to a bunch of essential sounds and get to making stuff without browsing endless vsts folders and settings.

E: gently caress yeah, the samples kontakt libraries are honestly all I need right now. I just need a finite, but super broad selection of sends to get working with.

E: within minutes of being content with the idea of just using the factory samples, I'm already considering getting vintage keys.

These fuckers have found a way to satisfy our G.A.S. without us actually feeling like we are "buying actual music gear."

philkop fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 26, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI there are a bunch of other companies that make Kontakt libraries, and some of the most amazing ones are from third parties. Some of them are crazy cheap, and some are even given away for free. Companies I like for various things are:

Embertone
Realivox
Samplephonics
Rhythmic Robot
SoundIron
WavesFactory

And those are just the ones I own a bunch of - there are a lot of other companies doing interesting stuff that's not too crazy expensive. Embertone in particular does some really intense scripting so their stuff sounds beautiful. I mean check out this fuckin viola:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnztd631E0

Actually, screw that - listen to this cello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbN6awgO4y0

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 26, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also if you get serious NI GAS you should just bite the bullet and get Komplete or Komplete Ultimate. Ultimate has so much content that you could literally spend years just learning what's in it and how it all works. It goes on half price sale once or twice a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWj6lciMPYM

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 26, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

philkop posted:

I use a library (for Kontakt) called Ethno World 5 made by BestService and it is really really great. Huge number of instruments from all over the world, and each instrument is very well recorded and includes a ton of different articulations. Also includes some interesting vocal work. And I also really appreciate that, unlike a lot of other sample libraries, it comes with a big long manual that not only tells you all about each instrument and how it is traditionally used (including pictures), but also includes profiles of all the musicians who performed the articulations for the recordings.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Ethno-World-5

pretty sure you don't need the full Kontakt to use it, just the free player.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 30, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Earwicker posted:

I use a library (for Kontakt) called Ethno World 5 made by BestService and it is really really great. Huge number of instruments from all over the world, and each instrument is very well recorded and includes a ton of different articulations. Also includes some interesting vocal work. And I also really appreciate that, unlike a lot of other sample libraries, it comes with a big long manual that not only tells you all about each instrument and how it is traditionally used (including pictures), but also includes profiles of all the musicians who performed the articulations for the recordings.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Ethno-World-5

pretty sure you don't need the full Kontakt to use it, just the free player.

this looks really cool. thanks bud!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So maybe this a little vague, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm after. I'm looking for an electronic drum sound that gels well with actual guitars and poo poo, I'm not necessarily making electronica but I'm using electronic stuff for colour mostly. I've got EZdrummer but I find it sounds a little fake and I kind of want to lean into the fact I'm working with fake poo poo rather than convincingly fake. I've got some electronic drums, mostly the free kouji tajima stuff but I'm looking for something that kinda bridges the gap between full on electronic and acoustic.

Or maybe there's an easier way to do this, maybe something that I can put over EZdrummer to dirty it up? Who knows, hopefully you guys get what I mean.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

cat doter posted:

Who knows, hopefully you guys get what I mean.

Could you provide some youtube links or similar with audio examples (of other artists' work)? That would help loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Scatterfold posted:

Could you provide some youtube links or similar with audio examples (of other artists' work)? That would help loads.

I would if I knew what I was after! I tried EZdrummer and my electronic drum VSTs and decided neither really fit, I just kept thinking "something in between these 2 would probably work" but yeah, it's a difficult problem. I've been playing around with overdrive and bitcrushers too on top of EZdrummer and that didn't really get the desired result either.