Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

let's take a look at the players in the competitive scene for the last fighting game that was designed more for fans of the series than fighting game fans: jojo's bizarre adventure: all star battle

*walks into an empty room*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

With my minimal fighting game knowledge I think my take on it is that I don't think user-friendliness and depth are mutually exclusive.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

It is time for me to sleep. Good night thread!

Good night, Droyer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

let's take a look at the players in the competitive scene for the last fighting game that was designed more for fans of the series than fighting game fans: jojo's bizarre adventure: all star battle

controversial opinion: i dont think every fighting game needs a competitive scene

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

controversial opinion: i dont think every fighting game needs a competitive scene

noncontroversial opinion: I do

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mintergalactic posted:

also why do you hate tekken so much anyway moonwalk, did heihachi kill your father or something

everything about tekken's audio/visual design (besides the bear and Fat Bob) feels almost totally joyless and empty and unsatisfying, and hell even the bear doesnt do much to make it interesting once you get to actual gameplay. the combat isnt fun to play even once you understand the flailing retard style of input method & memorize it for your character, 3d fighters in general have a really hard time not being broken lovely rear end and tekken does basically nothing to try to deviate from that. i was gonna mention also that 3d juggle-combo mechanics are garbage almost universally but that actually just fits under the umbrella of 3d fighters being mostly poo poo

the first sentence is my biggest problem with it but the other stuff doesnt help either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean ASB was bad even as a casual game because rounds lasted for loving ever, mind, but there have been plenty of decent naruto/dbz/bleach/whatever games that served as decent fanservice and were fun games to play, without having the depth to make for good competitive fighters, or having mechanics that made them hard to work with in a tournament environment.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fighting games are cool and I think this includes 3d fighters.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mintergalactic posted:

counterpoint: nintendo
additional counterpoint: pokemon, the second best selling video game franchise of all time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

everything about tekken's audio/visual design (besides the bear and Fat Bob) feels almost totally joyless and empty and unsatisfying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2p3dNC32c

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

different fighting games are made for different people, I suppose

I don't like 3d fighters either but I respect people who play tekken, just like I respect people who play dengeki bunko even though I hate them so much

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
:can: opinion: I don't care about persona 5.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

More fighting game ignorance but I speak from a position where I am really into other types of competitive video games:

I don't think every fighting game needs to have a big competitive scene or anything but having something to give it some staying power really goes a long way. If it's just a gimmick people will tire of it real fast.

That said I think that because it's Nintendo it will be akin to Blizzard games ie in that it will have a group that will do their darndest to make it competitive whether it fits or not

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Hey There

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i like iron king a whole lot
also the boxing raptor

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
*slips on an invisible banana peel*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I don't think every fighting game needs to have a big competitive scene or anything but having something to give it some staying power really goes a long way. If it's just a gimmick people will tire of it real fast
yeah that's fair

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

More fighting game ignorance but I speak from a position where I am really into other types of competitive video games:

I don't think every fighting game needs to have a big competitive scene or anything but having something to give it some staying power really goes a long way. If it's just a gimmick people will tire of it real fast.

That said I think that because it's Nintendo it will be akin to Blizzard games ie in that it will have a group that will do their darndest to make it competitive whether it fits or not

that'll be me
ill be the one organizing tournaments

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:yeah:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

:henget:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

hell i even respect people who play melee even though i think they have brain damage

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Endorph posted:

I mean ASB was bad even as a casual game because rounds lasted for loving ever, mind, but there have been plenty of decent naruto/dbz/bleach/whatever games that served as decent fanservice and were fun games to play, without having the depth to make for good competitive fighters, or having mechanics that made them hard to work with in a tournament environment.

You're not wrong but a fighting game is always going to be better off if it's made with a competitive scene in mind, it helps sales both immediately and long term if it actually takes hold

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

hell i even respect people who play melee even though i think they have brain damage
melee is honestly a pretty cool competitive game and i wish more games tried to follow its example

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Srice posted:

Basically this

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

melee is honestly a pretty cool competitive game and i wish more games tried to follow its example

after evo i hate the melee scene so loving much

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

what example does melee set that other games should follow

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

this is amazing

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i hate the evo tourney organizers even more
why yes let's put guilty in the middle of the area that's been prone to smash overflow and not put it on a big screen even though we've been having loving mortal kombat on them all tourney

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Smash would be more fun if it was like 4 people fighting on teams. 1v1 gameplay in smash is boring as hell to me

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Pacific Rim, Brain Powerd, RahXephon, Ideon, everything with a robot in it is an Evangelion ripoff.

You dare not mention Bokurano around me? :toughguy:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I don't understand the design philosophy behind melee but the series on a competitive level is completely foreign to me so I can't really judge it mechanically

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mintergalactic posted:

well for one it's popular

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the problem with a fighting game not having a competitive scene is that they're games that are built entirely around playing with other people. A multiplayer game can certainly still have a playerbase even if it's really bad competitively (for example every halo game since the xbox 360), but it becomes harder and harder to do that the more niche your audience becomes. and fighting games are these days an insanely niche audience that usually only get widespread players when they incorporate popular stuff like Nintendo

so pokken has a chance, competitive scene or not. but its hard to say, like i have no idea how many modern fans of pokemon even know it exists

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

competitive melee is bs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

a fighting game with non-standard mechanics and gameplay

p. much every other fighting game ever made is 'two people in a 2d or 3d plane hitting each other until one of their health bars reaches zero.' like melee or not the way percentages and knockback work obviously totally change the way the game plays and lead to gameplay that is totally unique to it.

Obviously that's boiling something down to its most very basic description and there's tons of differences between other fighting games, duh, but I wish more people were willing to think outside the box.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

it's not that I don't want pokken to succeed with whatever it's trying to do, it's just that I won't be playing it probably

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

everythingWasBees posted:

i like iron king a whole lot
also the boxing raptor

alex is cool

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if your version of the game requires not using 90% of the features of the game why even bother

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

the problem with a fighting game not having a competitive scene is that they're games that are built entirely around playing with other people. A multiplayer game can certainly still have a playerbase even if it's really bad competitively (for example every halo game since the xbox 360), but it becomes harder and harder to do that the more niche your audience becomes. and fighting games are these days an insanely niche audience that usually only get widespread players when they incorporate popular stuff like Nintendo

so pokken has a chance, competitive scene or not. but its hard to say, like i have no idea how many modern fans of pokemon even know it exists

most modern pokemon fans, young or not, follow online news pretty heavily because that's the only way we find out about poo poo
something like 75%+ of modern fans know about it i'd be willing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

if your version of the game requires not using 90% of the features of the game why even bother
melee uses every feature of the game but items and a few stages

• Locked thread