Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mintergalactic posted:

I don't understand the design philosophy behind melee but the series on a competitive level is completely foreign to me so I can't really judge it mechanically

melee didn't really have a competitive design philosophy, they just threw all the stuff together and tried to make it have Good Nintendo Gamefeel plus be relatively accurate to the source material. that whole community rose up out of making a competitve game out of a noncompetitive one (which leads to things like the competitive roster being about 6 characters long these days, probably even less). and they were so obsessed with it because it did have such a good control and Gamefeel because thats what nintendo does best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

a fighting game with non-standard mechanics and gameplay

p. much every other fighting game ever made is 'two people in a 2d or 3d plane hitting each other until one of their health bars reaches zero.' like melee or not the way percentages and knockback work obviously totally change the way the game plays and lead to gameplay that is totally unique to it.

Obviously that's boiling something down to its most very basic description and there's tons of differences between other fighting games, duh, but I wish more people were willing to think outside the box.

that's like the definition of a fighting game though
it's why we say smash isn't a fighting game because it's so alien compared to the rest of the genre there's very little overlap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf six characters is a longer competitive roster than street fighter 3

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
The best tekken character is actually Dragunov.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

items are what make melee fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

that's like the definition of a fighting game though
it's why we say smash isn't a fighting game because it's so alien compared to the rest of the genre there's very little overlap
smash... *pulls sunglasses down face* is a fighting game

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

street fighter 3 isn't exactly a bastion of good design choices, though

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

melee uses every feature of the game but items and a few stages

items are a huge part of the game though

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

smash is allowed to be a fighting game, but money idol exchanger, twinkle star sprites and catherine are also allowed to be fighting games

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

also plenty of games take a non-standard approach
to the point where we have loving subgenres now as more games appear like them with their own variations

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mintergalactic posted:

smash is allowed to be a fighting game, but money idol exchanger, twinkle star sprites and catherine are also allowed to be fighting games

can confirm catherine is a fighting game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

items are what make melee fun
obviously the dudes who have been playing it without items for ten years disagree

idk why people playing a game in a way that differs from the way you play the game makes the internet poo poo its pants. people always go on like pro melee players are busting into people's houses and removing the coding for items from their copies of melee against their will, but the reality is it's mostly just weirdos on the internet making GBS threads themselves over fox only, no items, final destination and pro players just playing the game the way they like.

i mean yeah there was that thing with that brawl tourney that used items, but that tourney was dumb in every single direction.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the most fun i had all EVO

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

competitive melee is bad because you strip out everything that's fun about the game in order to make it competitve

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

the most fun i had all EVO

i heard you made it into top 8

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
I think smash could probably qualify as a fighting game in really loose terms but I'm gonna keep insisting it's not to piss off the insanely lovely smash community every chance I get

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mintergalactic posted:

I will destroy any one of you utterly at Money Puzzle Exchanger. anybody here. come on.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

obviously the dudes who have been playing it without items for ten years disagree

idk why people playing a game in a way that differs from the way you play the game makes the internet poo poo its pants. people always go on like pro melee players are busting into people's houses and removing the coding for items from their copies of melee against their will, but the reality is it's mostly just weirdos on the internet making GBS threads themselves over fox only, no items, final destination and pro players just playing the game the way they like.

i mean yeah there was that thing with that brawl tourney that used items, but that tourney was dumb in every single direction.

i don't care. people who play melee without items are stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

competitive melee is bad because you strip out everything that's fun about the game in order to make it competitve
melee is pretty fun without items, also

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

david sirlin's Chess 2 is also a fighting game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

i don't care. people who play melee without items are stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-VplYrqBs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

david sirlin's Chess 2 is also a fighting game
sure

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mintergalactic posted:

i heard you made it into top 8

only top 16 i think :(
but considering i hadn't played it in like two years and always thought i was real poo poo at that i'll take it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

melee is fun with or without items on, but the people who insist on keeping items off even when playing it in a casual setting against people of wildly varying skill, are retarded.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

why is smash a fighting game but not fire pro wrestling returns

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can confirm catherine is a fighting game

catherine is win

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

melee is fun with or without items on, but the people who insist on keeping items off even when playing it in a casual setting against people of wildly varying skill, are retarded.
this i can agree with

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

the problem with a fighting game not having a competitive scene is that they're games that are built entirely around playing with other people. A multiplayer game can certainly still have a playerbase even if it's really bad competitively (for example every halo game since the xbox 360), but it becomes harder and harder to do that the more niche your audience becomes. and fighting games are these days an insanely niche audience that usually only get widespread players when they incorporate popular stuff like Nintendo

so pokken has a chance, competitive scene or not. but its hard to say, like i have no idea how many modern fans of pokemon even know it exists

From what I know about fighting games, smash brawl was pretty lame competitively but it's still probably the game i've put the most hours in just because it was an easy game to go to whenever i'd have friends over. Like tripping and all that probably made it kind of bullshit in a competitive sense but when just goofing around with friends it was no problem, and the game never really got old.

I like fighting games a lot but i've honestly never even really tried to get good at them, i've just always found them really good games to play with friends. So this talk about how they're all bad unless they're competitive kinda rings hollow to me, because while I understand that a competitive scene guarantees longevity it's not something I've ever personally really enjoyed about them, and I imagine theres lots of others who feel the same.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

aw that baby loves his mom so much

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

why is smash a fighting game but not fire pro wrestling returns

nobody calls the fire pro games fighting games because almost nobody in the West remembers or has played any fire pro game

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

one of my friend's brothers is a competitive smasher, he's won locals and all that, but when I play him he's chill and turns items on without anybody asking him to so the whole community isn't like that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I think smash could probably qualify as a fighting game in really loose terms but I'm gonna keep insisting it's not to piss off the insanely lovely smash community every chance I get

Heck I am down with that

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

:yeah:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
another recap episode goddamnit monogatari

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wheres the saturday night slam masters competitive scene

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like Smash 4 better than Melee

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

From what I know about fighting games, smash brawl was pretty lame competitively but it's still probably the game i've put the most hours in just because it was an easy game to go to whenever i'd have friends over. Like tripping and all that probably made it kind of bullshit in a competitive sense but when just goofing around with friends it was no problem, and the game never really got old.

I like fighting games a lot but i've honestly never even really tried to get good at them, i've just always found them really good games to play with friends. So this talk about how they're all bad unless they're competitive kinda rings hollow to me, because while I understand that a competitive scene guarantees longevity it's not something I've ever personally really enjoyed about them, and I imagine theres lots of others who feel the same.

brawl and melee are in the genre of Party games in addition to Fighting games. traditional Fighters are not really that, which is where the difference you can't understand is coming from.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

wheres the saturday night slam masters competitive scene

you're looking at it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

you're looking at it
thank you for fighting the good fight. braap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mintergalactic posted:

one of my friend's brothers is a competitive smasher, he's won locals and all that, but when I play him he's chill and turns items on without anybody asking him to so the whole community isn't like that

we once were playing brawl with friends and it was real fun so we decided to do it again next week
we go back next week and they insist on using a modded wiiu with project m because it's a competitively superior game and kept on spending the entire time talking about how much brawl sucked
that's my experience with competitive smash

also having to loving charge my way through a crowd of a few hundred to get to the guilty semis

i don't like competitive smash anymore

• Locked thread