Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
she can make 135 based on her frame, she'd just have to: go on a diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

she can make 135 based on her frame, she'd just have to: go on a diet.

I like how most MMA fighters seem to chase some crazy ways to drain their bodies of water and killing their kidneys instead of eating a salad more often than never.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

I like how most MMA fighters seem to chase some crazy ways to drain their bodies of water and killing their kidneys instead of eating a salad more often than never.

With someone like Cyborg I'm sure it has more to do with a fear of losing strength. She believes her success depends on strength, and dieting off lean mass scares her. So instead she goes after crazy ways to cut the weight. The reality is, she could lose some of the mass and still be way stronger than most other women in the 135 division, so if she doesn't think she has anything else to offer minus the strength, Ronda's going to give her the most hilarious beating yet.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah, cyborg not wanting the fight at 135 has never been about her not being able to make the weight, its about her not wanting to. So its good that no one gave in to any of her bullcrap

red19fire
May 26, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

With someone like Cyborg I'm sure it has more to do with a fear of losing strength. She believes her success depends on strength, and dieting off lean mass scares her. So instead she goes after crazy ways to cut the weight. The reality is, she could lose some of the mass and still be way stronger than most other women in the 135 division, so if she doesn't think she has anything else to offer minus the strength, Ronda's going to give her the most hilarious beating yet.

Ronda made this point when Cyborg first started the 'fight me at 145 because a doctor says cutting more will kill me but also this is for the 135 belt' saber rattling. Then she claimed another doctor says she can only cut to 135 three times total before her health is affected, and now she's back to clamoring for a 140 lb catchweight.

And Ronda's been brilliant about sticking to the same counter offer: the belt is 135, i fight at 135, make 135 you disgraced steroid cheater.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ronda doesn't need Cyborg, if she can pull in over half a million buys on a Brazil PPV or 400k against Sara McMann with little promotion time and an opponent who did almost no press, she could crush cans for the rest of her career and still get paid.

So she had no reason to negotiate with Cyborg, and Cyborg hosed up any bargaining power she had by being managed by Tito Ortiz, of course.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

1st AD posted:

Ronda doesn't need Cyborg, if she can pull in over half a million buys on a Brazil PPV or 400k against Sara McMann with little promotion time and an opponent who did almost no press, she could crush cans for the rest of her career and still get paid.

So she had no reason to negotiate with Cyborg, and Cyborg hosed up any bargaining power she had by being managed by Tito Ortiz, of course.

You aren't wrong.

Plus people still think a 140lb catchweight is a good compromise. That's like having Werdum fight Sapp in a 290lb catchweight, it makes no loving sense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Didn't Bob Sapp go onto some stupid fish + vegetables only diet and lose a bunch of muscle mass because he was eating not nearly enough protein?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Cyborg is the last fun opponent for Rousey. I know infinite Tate thrashing would be great, but Cyborg would at least be interesting on paper.

I'm one of her three fans but I think she would die.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also Chael frequently talks about a fat wrestler with a great dancing entrance. I would like to see who he is talking about. Can someone tell me so I don't get scared in a wrestling thread?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Captain Log posted:

Cyborg is the last fun opponent for Rousey... Cyborg would at least be interesting on paper.

Can you please explain why you believe this? Outside of maybe "freak hail-Mary ko," which is not an on-paper outcome exclusive to Cyborg.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bluedeanie posted:

Can you please explain why you believe this? Outside of maybe "freak hail-Mary ko," which is not an on-paper outcome exclusive to Cyborg.

Cyborg is a really aggressive striker who would be bigger than Rousey. Theoretically, I would like to see Rousey deal with real pressure standing. Her shadow boxing and striking KOs are loving awesome and I want to see more of her hands/legs.

I also think Rousey is at the Tyson/Andy Silva level of mentally brain loving her opponents before the fights start. I don't know if that would work on Borg.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Captain Log posted:

Also Chael frequently talks about a fat wrestler with a great dancing entrance. I would like to see who he is talking about. Can someone tell me so I don't get scared in a wrestling thread?

Probably Broadus Clay, aka the only living, breathing, rompin', stompin' Funkasaurus in captivity.

Phone posting, otherwise I'd hit you with a link.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LobsterMobster posted:

Probably Broadus Clay, aka the only living, breathing, rompin', stompin' Funkasaurus in captivity.

Phone posting, otherwise I'd hit you with a link.

It's good to know that if I ever get back up to 260 or so I can go to pro wrestling. Maybe I'm onto something...If my past lady friends are an indicator, my sex appeal seems to be related to how fat I get. I think women confuse not caring for confidence.

Chanel's podcast is the best. Everyone should listen to it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Isn't a piece of your brain hanging out you bugle butthole or something? I think you need to stick to regular fat guy hobbies like fishing or posting with us pros at the SomethingAwful foeums.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bluedeanie posted:

Isn't a piece of your brain hanging out you bugle butthole or something? I think you need to stick to regular fat guy hobbies like fishing or posting with us pros at the SomethingAwful foeums.

Chiari Malformation so...yes. Skull/butthole same thing.

By goon standards I'm svelte - like Chris Pratt in Parks and Rec before guardians. Thanks to that whole dad bod thing I think I can put off being in shape for another year. Thank god for sexist double standards.

Speaking of awful looking bodies - has Frank Mir said what he plans to do after dropping that boring as gently caress decision? Was that fight bad enough to keep Arvloski from a title shot?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bluedeanie posted:

Jorina Baars, the last person to defeat Cyborg(muy thai) pretty much waded through heavy shots and out cardio'd her. Cyborg's entire gameplan is to hit hard and hit first.

Cyborg had cinderblock hands at 145. Does she retain that at 135? if she does the weight cut with the plan of regaining all that weight before the fight, no she will not.

Tonya Evinger's down to fight her at 140. From there she can drop the extra 5lbs ahead of the fight camp so her body is setup and she just has to learn how to use it.

That's assuming Tonya doesn't get filthy all over her.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 16, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Evinger would probably get crushed but I'd laugh a lot if she ruined Cyborg's money fight through grit and wrestling.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

That explains how the fight hypothetically happens, but does not explain how Cyborg is the only hypothetically interesting match up for Ronda Rousey outside of early KO, (a trait she shares with people like Cat Zingano or in a much less realistic and more academic sense, Holly Holm.)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Cyborg is a really aggressive striker who would be bigger than Rousey. Theoretically, I would like to see Rousey deal with real pressure standing. Her shadow boxing and striking KOs are loving awesome and I want to see more of her hands/legs.

If you want to see more of Ronda's striking then what you want is someone with a prayer of defending her takedowns, not Vitor in a wig.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bluedeanie posted:

That explains how the fight hypothetically happens, but does not explain how Cyborg is the only hypothetically interesting match up for Ronda Rousey outside of early KO, (a trait she shares with people like Cat Zingano or in a much less realistic and more academic sense, Holly Holm.)

Ronda is newschool WMMA and Cyborg's oldschool. From a promotional standpoint, its a gimme matchup. Also you can argue that because Cyborg's faced a far broader range of opponents than any other Ronda matchup.

oh and Cyborg's 14-1-1 is all finishes(including the NC) with 2 decisions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best fighter Cyborg has beaten is Marloes Coenen.

The only way you can compare her resume to Ronda's is to say they both fought really bad fighters.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

fatherdog posted:

If you want to see more of Ronda's striking then what you want is someone with a prayer of defending her takedowns, not Vitor in a wig.

Holy poo poo that made me laugh.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
[Quote=
"Liam has never fought anybody like me," Ortiz said. "He's gonna get the wrath of Tito Ortiz on Sept. 19. ... I'm gonna recognize to him what 'ragdoll' is truly about, because I'm gonna ragdoll him."][/quote]

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Do we want to do a GDT for this weekends Bellator card since it's so absurd? Or do we accept the reality that it will at most garner two pages worth of posts and keep discussion in here?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the dynamite card looks like it's going to be miserable and hilarious but i have no idea how interested people are in glibly making fun of it in real time

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Do we want to do a GDT for this weekends Bellator card since it's so absurd? Or do we accept the reality that it will at most garner two pages worth of posts and keep discussion in here?

Isn't the Gaethje/Paolimino rematch this weekend, too? That fight was :krad: so maybe a joint GDT

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Isn't the Gaethje/Paolimino rematch this weekend, too? That fight was :krad: so maybe a joint GDT

A better idea but between the two main events that's like 478 bouts and that's a lot of mostly arbitrary pop culture references, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the dynamite card looks like it's going to be miserable and hilarious but i have no idea how interested people are in glibly making fun of it in real time

You doing a play by play is worth the price of admission.

I'd read you do one for a fifth grade soccer game.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
a choice between a good night of sleep or phil davis and a bunch of lovely meaningless kickboxing fights isn't much of a choice

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'm gonna go to the Bellator Dynamite show because two sports where people get rough housed on the regular, going on simultaneously, sounds positively insane

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

a choice between a good night of sleep or phil davis and a bunch of lovely meaningless kickboxing fights isn't much of a choice

You have a duty to us, fine sir

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phil Baroni is going to be announcing Combate Americanas or whatever its called on NBC Universal. Alberto Del Patron(dude that got kickboxed to death by Cro Cop) will be doing the spanish feed.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

quote:

Victor Jones vs. David Blanco and Gloria Telles vs. Alysia Cortez will take place simultaneously inside the cage and the ring. Also, Jose Palacios vs. TJ Arcengal and Brandon Hester vs. DeMarco Villalona will take place simultaneously inside the cage and the ring

How is that going to be filmed. This card is going to be a glorious disaster.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The first card brought to you in FitchTime(TM).

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
FRIDAY

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

Battle of nards

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Wolfman's got nards.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
That is way too much fetal alcohol syndrome for one BAMMA poster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poo poo, this is a goldmine for b-league this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Meltzer reporting that Fedor may be fighting Kimbo :lol::lol::lol: