Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They found a new species of Funnel Web the other week. Or rather, the new species found them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Nobody's died to a funnel web since like 1980. Apart from car crashes caused by people panicking while seeing them.

So you'll only die if you're dumb and scared of spiders basically

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Huntsman in your car make sense. But Funnel Webs?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
yeah probably not really yer right. Still, no fatality from a funnel web since 1981.

when i was a kid i had a huntsman in my bedroom for about 6 months, by day he would hide behind a poster, and at night he'd roam around the roof above my bed killing mozzies and poo poo :shobon: He was a great friend, i called him WOlfie!

then my mum vacuumed him up one day and i got mad

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I know there's probably a thread for this but wow the GOP debate has only been on for 20 min and lol.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Huntsman's are awesome. Freak you the hell out when you first see them, but I always leave them alone. If you've got a Huntsman in your house you wont have Redback spiders.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I know there's probably a thread for this but wow the GOP debate has only been on for 20 min and lol.

It's pretty precious.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Huntsman's are awesome. Freak you the hell out when you first see them, but I always leave them alone. If you've got a Huntsman in your house you wont have Redback spiders.

I have some jumping spiders living in my windowsill because the screen is actually terrible at keeping them out. I leave them alone though because like huntsman they aren't really web spiders but chasing after prey spiders and they keep anything else from getting through the window so I can leave it open on hot nights.

Also jumping spiders are totes adorbs. Here's one wearing a water droplet as a hat. Spoilered in case people are babies.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Academia and social science research rant.

I'm trying to read all of these journal articles to prepare for this paper I have to write, and it's an area I'm not overly familiar with the research on, so I'm casting a pretty wide net to try to pick up themes within the research. One of the themes I've discovered is that people are seemingly obsessed with coming up with new and catchy names for the groups made by their studies. I just read a paper that made me angry because they did all this research that fit in with other research I had read and then when putting their groups together were like "we are calling this group of students cook book students" and it's like no, that poo poo you are describing already has a loving name. This is why people can't understand your stupid research area, because you assholes can't stick to a standard set of terms that mean the same thing from one study to the next.

They don't even acknowledge it either in order to define their terms. They'll just use words and assume people know what they mean, but if you actually really pay attention it means something entirely different in each paper or from each research group.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Rarity posted:

Happy Birthday Ernie!

What are people listening to at the moment? I recently discovered both CHVRCHES and Of Monsters and Men who are both great and I'm still not over the new Foals album

The new Battles album is straight fire

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

cleared my pm inbox

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Opopanax posted:

It's actually just CND, but we keep spelling it "C, eh, N, eh, D, eh"

Isn't this the currency abbreviation xD

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

Isn't this the currency abbreviation xD

That's CAD c'mon quid, get with the program!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quidnose posted:

The new Battles album is straight fire

Oh drat I didn't know there was a new one from those dudes.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Opopanax posted:

That's CAD c'mon quid, get with the program!

All I know is it is extra dollar

Allen Wren posted:

Oh drat I didn't know there was a new one from those dudes.

It's entirely instrumental, although I haven't gotten through all of it yet because it requires a lot of attention and brainpower. It's really bomb.

EDIT: Opening track for reference. It's awesome and all over the loving place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhLzHuUYmo Worth listening to all the way through so you can really, like, experience it haha

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 17, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
watching the genius finale and omg they're playing stratego

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
watching the math round and okay these people are literal geniuses.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bring Me The Horizon and Pvris are doing a tour together in November but it's completely sold out

:negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

For any of you thinking of coming to Australia for a holiday, just letting you know that they have discovered a new species of snake here that is in the top 10 most venomous snakes in the world. Stay safe!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/16/yet-another-deadly-snake-species-discovered-in-australia

Yes but aren't the other 9 also all in Australia? :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Bring Me The Horizon and Pvris are doing a tour together in November but it's completely sold out

:negative:
i'm sorry you missed the mating season of two mediocre bands

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

i'm sorry you missed the mating season of two mediocre bands

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I heard that Canada just changed their national slogan to:

Canada: you can rearrange some of the vowels and it will still say Canada

I just watched this episode last night and immediately thought of you

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

I just watched this episode last night and immediately thought of you

That was the best way to end the episode. I laughed so hard

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Happy birthday mmm!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey i just noticed im #2 in FML

just here to brag ok bye now

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

hey i just noticed im #2 in FML

just here to brag ok bye now

pbbbfft let us know when you are #1 scrub

(whats fml)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://fantasymovieleague.com/

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i just realized have the league isnt even playing anyway. *deflates*

YOU AND ME BOWMORE

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

didn't that end

I would have kept playing

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it never ends. just new seasons start

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

didn't that end

I would have kept playing

quote taste's post for a spoopy hidden message

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I would not have kept playing, stop that

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

well i just realized have the league isnt even playing anyway. *deflates*

YOU AND ME BOWMORE
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm still playing

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's someone's birthday today. :toot:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

If anyone likes jazz, I am listening to this album and it's pretty wonderful:

http://www.marsalismusic.com/releases/songs-mirth-melancholy

The first track was ok (probably need to revist it) but the melancholy tracks are really beautiful.

If anyone wants to talk about jazz I tend to do a lot of jazz listening as it gets colder and while I have many albums I enjoy I am nowhere near even really knowledgeable about jazz so I'd love to talk more about jazz~

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Happy Birthday MMM!

I'm rewatching BSG and I'm in season 2 and I love how when Tigh is in command it takes like 3 days before humanity almost wipes itself out in a civil war. This show is so goofy I love it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

That reminds me I need to finish the second BSG miniseries movie and start watching it. I have tried now to do that twice and keep stopping right when the second movie starts. THIS TIME I SHALL OVERCOME.

But not tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I'm having a hard day and I think i'm gonna reorganize my record collection. Wish me luck mafia thread.