Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Heresiarch posted:

Something FATE-derived might work. I can't imagine anything rules-heavy would work at all since a big part of the appeal of the background is how the local physics seem driven by a universal narrative rather than any particular set of natural laws.
How about Strike! ?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

Something FATE-derived might work. I can't imagine anything rules-heavy would work at all since a big part of the appeal of the background is how the local physics seem driven by a universal narrative rather than any particular set of natural laws.

is that the one where you roll for your rear end in a top hat size

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

No that's FATAL and shame on you for bringing that up in this thread. FATE on the other hand is a pretty nice system from what I've read of it (been trying to organize a local campaign). It's available as a "pay as you want" system as of the last year or so and I know they have very flexible licensing agreements. If Operant uses this I think it could work.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

I don't know much about it outside of that thread's description but anything with a grid seems like it might be restrictive. At the core it's D&D 4e's combat system which is great for game balance in squad-level tactical combat but not so good for (say) fighting a mile-high construct made of solar plasma and shedded angel carapace while riding on the backs of tamed shadow-garuda.

I thought about something using FATE as a base because of the semi-abandoned project "Soft Horizon" which seemed to handle the kind of scale required for where a K6BD game might go. In my mind, a K6BD RPG would need to be driven by story needs and not rules, and is likely to have characters of vastly different "power levels" but equal plot importance, and systems like FATE are one of several good places to start developing games like that.

Obviously YMMV.

[edit] If this turns into a big discussion then we should take it to tradgames and start a thread there.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

I don't know much about it outside of that thread's description but anything with a grid seems like it might be restrictive. At the core it's D&D 4e's combat system which is great for game balance in squad-level tactical combat but not so good for (say) fighting a mile-high construct made of solar plasma and shedded angel carapace while riding on the backs of tamed shadow-garuda.

I thought about something using FATE as a base because of the semi-abandoned project "Soft Horizon" which seemed to handle the kind of scale required for where a K6BD game might go. In my mind, a K6BD RPG would need to be driven by story needs and not rules, and is likely to have characters of vastly different "power levels" but equal plot importance, and systems like FATE are one of several good places to start developing games like that.

Obviously YMMV.

[edit] If this turns into a big discussion then we should take it to tradgames and start a thread there.

that sounds like the glorantha's heroquest system

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Hogge Wild posted:

that sounds like the glorantha's heroquest system

If you're talking about this, then maybe it has the same potential. I haven't read or played it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah that's it. It's kind of like if FATE consisted entirely of aspects. I personally would definitely prefer it to FATE in this case.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd prefer an Apocalypse World hack. There's something deeply unsatisfying about FATE's mechanics for me.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Megazver posted:

I'd prefer an Apocalypse World hack. There's something deeply unsatisfying about FATE's mechanics for me.

That I'm familiar with and yeah, that might work too. FATE was just what came to mind first.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Necropolis's 1-page-a-week update rate is borderline glacial, but I am really enjoying it.

( http://necropoliscomic.tumblr.com/ )

I do wish he'd find better hosting than tumblr, which is super-clunky for comic viewing. Oh well!

Meanwhile the latest page demanded avatars:

and maybe animation?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Quite frankly, the way K6BD Patreon is going, I'd split off the RPG stretch goal and make it 2000 dollars.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Yes, using the rear end-pect system.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megazver posted:

Same here, really. I could never really get into FATE.

Topic of KSBD, meanwhile, it updated. Stuff is happening.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

e: That teleportation lamp thing is why the Castle's frozen in time to begin with, isn't it?
Didn't Baron Wulfenbach show up with Some drat Spark Gizmo and set it off trapping him and everything/body else in the town in stasis?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zereth posted:

Didn't Baron Wulfenbach show up with Some drat Spark Gizmo and set it off trapping him and everything/body else in the town in stasis?

Yeah, Wulfenbach froze the town with a gizmo.

I don't remember what teleportation lamp he's talking about. Is it the teleportation gateway that Agatha jumped through as the town was being frozen? And the time freeze meant it took like a year for her to materialise on the other side.

Also possibly linked to that story: the time window from those two panels looks a lot (but not exactly) like the rift in space that the time-monster is coming through in frozen Mechanicsburg.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 17, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zereth posted:

MikeJF posted:

I don't remember what teleportation lamp he's talking about. But yeah, Wulfenbach froze the town with a gizmo.

I could have sworn blind he repurposed the lamp after Theo and Sleipnir turned up at the Castle with it. But I have just reread the comic and it turns out I do not remember nearly as much of what is going on as I thought I did!

This is the lamp I was talking about : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Alright, maybe it's just an invisibility thing. But I'll bet you there's some weird time/space hijinks going on there too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There is a lot of foreshadowing snuck in about the Muse of Time and those space-time windows. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, in the fanciful obviously-a-grain-of-truth story of the Heterodyne Boys and the Dragon of Mars (in which the actual dragon represents a slaver wasp queen), we can see that the Other first showed up via a space-time window. We also know that the Other is fond of body-stealing, organic or mechanical, and we saw it show up here wearing a body with suspiciously similar robo arms, which is when the Other set the whole body-stealing plot into motion.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the physical book version of Nimona was longlisted for the National Book Award for Young People's Literature. Pretty awesome.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Quinton posted:

Swiped, thank you. :haw:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

K6BD Patreon hit $1,500. Full-time updates! :woop:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

K6BD Patreon hit $1,500. Full-time updates! :woop:

I'm a little reluctant to commit right now because one of those patrons is pledging $83 dollars a month which I suspect MAY not last for the next few weeks, but I'm pretty sure it's going to get there anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Heresiarch posted:

That I'm familiar with and yeah, that might work too. FATE was just what came to mind first.

If you (in the general sense) are going for a trimmed-down game, FATE Accelerated might be a better alternative to FATE. Apocalypse World's rules are also a great option because of how easy it is to reskin or build new playbooks (character class/archetypes) and it has a pretty fast and natural flow that works really well for improvisation and over-the-top stunts. FATE/FAE have an Open Gaming License and Powered By the Apocalypse is Creative Commons, so they're both very accessible and open to new games built on the rules, too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Quinton posted:

Necropolis's 1-page-a-week update rate is borderline glacial, but I am really enjoying it.

( http://necropoliscomic.tumblr.com/ )

I do wish he'd find better hosting than tumblr, which is super-clunky for comic viewing. Oh well!

and maybe animation?

Necropolis is great and I've had this av since well before he was updating regularly, but I haven't actually been keeping up with it because tumblr is such a bad platform for it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Operant posted:

I'm a little reluctant to commit right now because one of those patrons is pledging $83 dollars a month which I suspect MAY not last for the next few weeks, but I'm pretty sure it's going to get there anyway.

I just found the original MSPA thread and I really hope grimdrunk makes it into the reboot.

Also, I noticed that three out of four groups of Inheritors have names - humans, devils, angels - but the fourth one doesn't. It's triggering my nerd OCD. How about 'spirits'? That seems like a good fit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Isn't it "servants"?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As a general description, yes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Quinton posted:

it's so good but every time I look at it I just get unreasonably angry at the hosed-up image autoscaling, so I don't. I would loving buy the hosting for this dude if he'd stick it on a generic Wordpress template or something.

Is 'presentation is part of the art, too' not something they teach illustrators

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Jimmy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Megazver posted:

Also, I noticed that three out of four groups of Inheritors have names - humans, devils, angels - but the fourth one doesn't. It's triggering my nerd OCD. How about 'spirits'? That seems like a good fit.
I think that the Servants, based on the picture of them during 2 Michael's recap hour, are collectively several subspecies of varying appearance, nature, and power. We know that they are immortal, free-willed, but originally designed for various tasks. Based on his description in one of the giant Hell overview pictures as a "fallen gatekeeper", that Preem Praman Nand, the Androsphinx guildmaster, is as much a Servant as any of the random mooks with heads like beltbuckles.

The Devils, while also varied, have actual mutual common traits and theoretically can evolve across forms as their power and names grow(?).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

No that's FATAL and shame on you for bringing that up in this thread.

FATAL would be a lot funnier of it didn't actually exist as a game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ConanThe3rd posted:

FATAL would be a lot funnier of it didn't actually exist as a game.

If it helps, I don't think the number of people that would go to bat for FATAL can be counted on one hand. It's just too bad on every level.... like, even if you remove all of the rape and racism (there's a lot) and having to generate the exact size of your genatalia, you're just left with a game where you have to roll several 100-sided dice to successfully urinate

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hybrid is the superior ruleset anyway.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay, can someone help me remember if Gil's infested with a slaver wasp or not? I know he's mind controlled by his dad but I forget if the whole "you're infested" thing was a lie or the truth.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Benagain posted:

Okay, can someone help me remember if Gil's infested with a slaver wasp or not? I know he's mind controlled by his dad but I forget if the whole "you're infested" thing was a lie or the truth.

We don't know. He set the wasp eaters off, but we never actually saw him wasped.

...and there was something about Anevka thinking she could control him and then failing?

e: Here we go.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 18, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Benagain posted:

As far as I remember, there was only one spark wasp made, and it was used on Klaus.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

We don't know. He set the wasp eaters off, but we never actually saw him wasped.

My guess is that Klaus used a wasp-like thing to download his mind into Gil, setting off the weasels without being wasted by the Other.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

He's probably still alive in some contrived way. Whatever that "33 days" trick is, maybe.

But this sequence is probably happening simultaneously with the last one, since Hunter mentioned sending out a team at the start of last chapter.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Benagain posted:

We don't know, but I suspect that it's a lie. Klaus is certainly smart enough to come up with a wasp eater which could give a false positive on demand, and there was supposedly only the one spark wasp ever made.

It's likely that Gil has taken the anti-wasp serum, and that certainly seems to work.

Given that comic and the link already mentioned, it could be that the reason the revanants on the castle stopped responding was that they'd been given the serum.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
So in Dr. McNinja I definitely though it was Old McNinja, but now I'm guessing...evil clone? Doesn't seem like clones are too hard to come by in that universe.

Also dang, Dr. McNinja himself really deteriorated fast. I'm guessing the teeth thing is a ad-hoc sonar / echolocation thing to communicate with the merpeople?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I originally saw that comic, I thought that maybe the anti-wasp serum was giving the wasp eaters a false positive, but then again, the serum is probably what made the wasp eaters love Tarvek here. Maybe it could've been the wasp eater reacting to the Baron instead?

It's probably either Zola or robo-Lucrezia responsible for the return of the Other, but it could still be some crazy third party like some more rogue Knights of Jove. I really like how the story is opening up again now that it's not dealing with the siege of Mechanicsburg. It's not quite the same as the wandering around Europe with a troupe of performers, but it's getting there.

• Locked thread