Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

So the stray kitten keeps coming by. Even if I scare it off, it just comes right back and I feel bad if I scare it off while my cat is chilling with it because then he starts to look for it and waits by the door for it to come back. What the hell do I do.

Apparently let the cat in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Nuebot posted:

So the stray kitten keeps coming by. Even if I scare it off, it just comes right back and I feel bad if I scare it off while my cat is chilling with it because then he starts to look for it and waits by the door for it to come back. What the hell do I do.

That's the part where you adopt it and give your cat a companion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lycaeon posted:

That's the part where you adopt it and give your cat a companion.

Or bring it to a shelter.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cythereal posted:

Or bring it to a shelter.

A no-kill shelter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Apparently let the cat in.

Tempting, but things are weird. After watching it, I think it lives at a house. I don't know if it actually lives in the house, or just sleeps there or what. If I can get close enough I want to check its ears for a vet tattoo or something. It doesn't seem like its diseased or anything though, just likes my cat and my yard.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

My cat gave me a cuddle this morning :-)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I overslept this morning til my cats started biting me where the blanket didnt cover.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

Tempting, but things are weird. After watching it, I think it lives at a house. I don't know if it actually lives in the house, or just sleeps there or what. If I can get close enough I want to check its ears for a vet tattoo or something. It doesn't seem like its diseased or anything though, just likes my cat and my yard.

it looks better with you so it's yours now

congratulations

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Nuebot posted:

I really can't advocate taking it in enough. I have a horrible habit of taking in any stray that looks at me and, while I'm up to 6 cats, I couldn't be happier. If you're already taking care of one, it's just a bit more food and a bit more litter cleaning, but like 3000x more lovin. It's such a bargain you really can't afford not to.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Please at least ask the people who live in that house if the cat is theirs before you steal their cat.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

CoolCat posted:

My cat gave me a cuddle this morning :-)

Sounds like a cool cat

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Huntersoninski posted:

Please at least ask the people who live in that house if the cat is theirs before you steal their cat.

Of course, that's always advisable. If it's friendly enough to let you handle it:

A. It's most like had a home at least at some point, but you say it's a kitten
B. You could maybe attach a small collar to it with a note attached with your info

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah, it doesn't hurt anything to ask around. When I found a cat in the parking lot of my old apartment building, I carried him from door to door across the complex to make sure nobody was missing him. Got me more familiar with my neighbors and didn't hurt a bit. Also checked local "lost pet" sites and craigslist to no avail. Turned out he was microchipped but the owner didn't want him anymore so my sister got a free cat.

On the other end of the spectrum, an old coworker of mine had her cat straight up stolen out of her neighborhood by someone who saw a friendly cat with no collar and just decided it should be theirs. She and her kids were heartbroken until a mutual acquaintance of her and the thief set things right.

Don't just take a stray cat unless you've checked around/made sure it's not chipped. Your vet should be able to scan it no problem. Kittens can get lost more easily than a grown cat and someone might be missing their pet.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah, it doesn't hurt anything to ask around. When I found a cat in the parking lot of my old apartment building, I carried him from door to door across the complex to make sure nobody was missing him. Got me more familiar with my neighbors and didn't hurt a bit. Also checked local "lost pet" sites and craigslist to no avail. Turned out he was microchipped but the owner didn't want him anymore so my sister got a free cat.

On the other end of the spectrum, an old coworker of mine had her cat straight up stolen out of her neighborhood by someone who saw a friendly cat with no collar and just decided it should be theirs. She and her kids were heartbroken until a mutual acquaintance of her and the thief set things right.

Don't just take a stray cat unless you've checked around/made sure it's not chipped. Your vet should be able to scan it no problem. Kittens can get lost more easily than a grown cat and someone might be missing their pet.

When I took in my first cat, Chalmers, he was so well-trained that I knew he had to have had a home at one point. He was also neutered.

When I first took him to the vet, I was so scared that he would have a microchip that I decided that if she got out the scanner and it beeped, I was going to pull the fire alarm, grab my baby boy and run like hell. And, of course, find a new vet who didn't scan. Thankfully, he was just dumped by some sort of unfeeling monster.

Now he weighs so much I can't lift him if my arthritis is acting up.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

criscodisco posted:

I really can't advocate taking it in enough. I have a horrible habit of taking in any stray that looks at me and, while I'm up to 6 cats, I couldn't be happier. If you're already taking care of one, it's just a bit more food and a bit more litter cleaning, but like 3000x more lovin. It's such a bargain you really can't afford not to.

crisco, I still miss your old thread. Please tell us more about your current cat wonderland!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

criscodisco posted:

When I first took him to the vet, I was so scared that he would have a microchip that I decided that if she got out the scanner and it beeped, I was going to pull the fire alarm, grab my baby boy and run like hell. And, of course, find a new vet who didn't scan.

I also liked your threads and am happy you got to keep all your cats, but his would have been a really, really, really lovely thing to do.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

davebo posted:

We got a new box recently, thinking that might fix it. The brand I think was switched up a few months ago. This has been something she did even at my gf's old apartment, basically whenever she or now both us are gone for more than a day. I had cleaned the box before I went to bed last night so it's not like it was dirty. It's a third bedroom that's just a dresser, some boxes and her litter box, so I don't think it could be more private. I don't know if it's important but overnight she managed to pee in the box, which she always does. It's only poop we've ever found on the mat or carpet, and only in that room with the litter box.

So she wets in the box but poops right outside of it?

Hmmm, there is something the cat doesnt like about the litter box.....maybe the litter is not clumping enough so the cat 'feels' the poop when she goes in it.

If a cat had issues with you or your GF, he/she would be doing worse things....like on your bed and such....anyplace where she can smell your scent.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

duckfarts posted:

Yes/no; if they learn that a behavior makes you do a thing they want, then yes. On the other hand, chances are they enjoy knocking poo poo off shelves or rattling noisy stuff independently of that because they are cats and that's what they feel like doing at the time.

Yea, I tend to agree with you there.

Cats and dogs are pretty smart in figuring out how our clocks work.

They play the old 'action-reaction' game.

Action: they do something like knock an object over or paw on you.

Reaction: you get up and get them food.

Now they know if they do whatever they did, the result will be some food....F it, lets keep on doing it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Guys, please keep your cats inside :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my old cat with a clean bill of health from the vet periodically pees outside the box on carpets until i make the spots unavailable to him. its depressing but i forgive him. i'm just worried that once all the rugs are rolled up and stored he'll start peeing on my couch or the bed.

i wish the vet had found a problem. maybe ill go for a second opinion.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Huntersoninski posted:

I also liked your threads and am happy you got to keep all your cats, but his would have been a really, really, really lovely thing to do.

Yeah I understand that and, realistically, would have never done it, but I just fell for my boy hard fast and was scared I'd find out he wasn't my cat after all.

EDIT: And honestly it would have made me feel like he were an adulterer, and I'd hate to ever see him in that light.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i want to get a cat again(when my family permits it, our dog died a month ago) and i am not sure what breed i want to get, its between maine coon, exotic, ragdoll or a scottish fold. I am fine with adpoting or buying one. all my previous cats were non-pedigrees and were great, but i want a cat that's more cuddly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My no breed shelter kitty is snuggly as gently caress. You can go spend time with cats in a shelter to get an idea of their personality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i want to get a cat again(when my family permits it, our dog died a month ago) and i am not sure what breed i want to get, its between maine coon, exotic, ragdoll or a scottish fold. I am fine with adpoting or buying one. all my previous cats were non-pedigrees and were great, but i want a cat that's more cuddly.

Go to a shelter, interact with cats, ask the staff about cat personalities. Find one that's cuddly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Huntersoninski posted:

It's still very skittish so it hasn't come inside or anything. I'm going to try feeding it, seeing if I can at least check to see if it's got a tattoo or anything on the ear. Even if it never lives here I'm okay with feeding it when it comes by. I had a cat that used to do that, a fluffy white thing that would go to all the neighbor's houses and chill until they fed him. Then he'd come home and eat some more. They were all old people who liked having the cat company.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to get a pedigree cat because you really love the breed characteristics for that type of cat, but if all you want is a super-cuddly one then absolutely your best bet is to get an adult cat from a shelter who you've spent time with and can see is super cuddly. As far as I'm aware, while certain breeds are meant to have certain personality traits, it's not guaranteed at all and you can't tell how they're going to turn out when they're kittens.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to get a pedigree cat because you really love the breed characteristics for that type of cat, but if all you want is a super-cuddly one then absolutely your best bet is to get an adult cat from a shelter who you've spent time with and can see is super cuddly. As far as I'm aware, while certain breeds are meant to have certain personality traits, it's not guaranteed at all and you can't tell how they're going to turn out when they're kittens.

i guess i want to know what are the positives/negatives with the breeds i like.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Seriously. I've got 4 incredibly cuddly goobers of cats who want nothing more than to be carried around like babies and sleep on you like a mattress and cuddle all day, and they're a mix of breeds, but they all have in common that they're strays. Then I have two who are happier around each other on a different floor of the house, but if you're on that floor they're still following you around and looking for rubs.

Go homeless cat all the way. Plus, and I could be wrong, but I could swear that they are just smart enough to never forget that you're the one who took them away from whatever unfortunate situation they were in before.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Seriously. I've got 4 incredibly cuddly goobers of cats who want nothing more than to be carried around like babies and sleep on you like a mattress and cuddle all day, and they're a mix of breeds, but they all have in common that they're strays. Then I have two who are happier around each other on a different floor of the house, but if you're on that floor they're still following you around and looking for rubs.

Go homeless cat all the way. Plus, and I could be wrong, but I could swear that they are just smart enough to never forget that you're the one who took them away from whatever unfortunate situation they were in before.

Absolutely. My cat loves all people but she never leaves my side when I'm home. She would sleep on my bed which is about 5 feet away from my desk and chirp at me when I was on the computer. I bought a cat bed when I put on a table next to my desk and she sleeps there now because she's arms length for rubs. And she sleeps at my feet facing away from me at night. I would swear she thinks she's standing guard.

I also noticed last week she wasn't eating when I wasn't home so she was getting separation anxiety. That seems to have cleared up thought. She ate like a little piggy the last couple days when I was at work and bowling.

Edit: Where she is right now, in fact. Also sick of my poo poo at the moment.

Critical fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 18, 2015

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

I owned a barn cat when I was growing up, and we let her out all the time. One day she left the house, and my parents only discovered the back half of her. She lived to be twelve, but I'm only now coming to the realization that this, or cat hoarders, or a car could have happened at any time. Keep your cats indoors.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I think introducing two cats has taught me what it is like to have human children - baby gates, buying more food, and lots of work. I hope it's worth it in the end and the older resident eventually stops throwing fits when she sees/smells/hears the younger new cat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

KariOhki posted:

I think introducing two cats has taught me what it is like to have human children - baby gates, buying more food, and lots of work. I hope it's worth it in the end and the older resident eventually stops throwing fits when she sees/smells/hears the younger new cat.

Real Talk: It could end in kitty pile cuddles, or mild acceptance and permanent suspicion. My younger man loves his old grandpa but grandpa is indifferent.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KariOhki posted:

Yeah, the odds favor mutual tolerance over cuddles. Our cats can handle being in the same room together, but will still hiss and swat if anyone gets too close to anyone else. They're not buddies, but they successfully cohabit the house.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same here. Younger cat absolutely loves the older guy, who just tolerates him. They will however cuddle up for bed. :3:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Y'all are doing it wrong, or my cats are all just total whores or something. I have my two (mother and son) who hang out upstairs and just put up with the rest when it's feeding time or sleep on the bed time, but the other 4 were introduced at different times to each other and spend all day in a big ball of kitty, and clean each other and play non-stop.

When you're bringing the new one in, have you tried looking at them and yelling "GET ALONG!"? Because that's what I've done and it seems to work wonders.

My girl from a page or two ago with the ear infection/ruptured eardrum seems to be doing a lot better. She still stumbles occasionally when she's walking, especially if she gets surprised by something, and she's not been as playful as normal, but past that you'd never know anything was wrong. I know the infection is likely gone or nearly gone, but how long does a ruptured drum in a cat usually take to heal?

EDIT: My old boy Chalmers and my new boy Booger after their first afternoon together:

Told ya you're doing it wrong.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 19, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
loving

CATS.

So, I have a new member to my household, which is my girlfriend's cat. This was a semi-stray cat whom she rescued from living around her old apartment. Cute cat, real sweet. So we're moving in together and she wants to take the cat.

So we brought the cat over, which took a lot of doing to get the drat thing into its kitty taxi, to adjust to the place. Since it's been here, it spends most of its time hiding up inside the closet. It comes out at night to wander around (it's a girl cat, dunno why I'm being gender neutral). We haven't put down a pet deposit yet, so we're trying to keep it on the downlow until we have the money.

Except, this was an outdoor cat who would inform us when she wanted to be let out, and she'd go out whenever she pleased, and she'd do her business out there. Now she's out of her element and that means I have to deal with cat pee.

I hate cat pee. And worse yet, she's taken to pissing on the bed. She's already done it once, and we stripped and washed the linens, and now she wakes me up at 5 a.m. with purring, so I go and let her outside. She runs around out there for about fifteen, twenty minutes. After awhile I use some cat food to coax her back inside. She eats the food, wanders around the apartment, and promptly takes a poo poo on the bed.

My girlfriend loves this cat, so I have to find a way to make this work, but I loathe the reek of cat pee, I hate the smell of cat food, and I really hate the fact that I can't get this cat to do what it used to do quite on its own. What should I do?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the odds favor mutual tolerance over cuddles. Our cats can handle being in the same room together, but will still hiss and swat if anyone gets too close to anyone else. They're not buddies, but they successfully cohabit the house.

My hope for an outcome is Hanako not hiding when Lina is allowed to roam around the entire apartment. Cuddles are a bonus.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

My girlfriend loves this cat, so I have to find a way to make this work, but I loathe the reek of cat pee, I hate the smell of cat food, and I really hate the fact that I can't get this cat to do what it used to do quite on its own. What should I do?

Have you considered litter-training the cat? You can't always be there to let her out when she needs to pee, and honestly I've never encountered a cat that would just wait like a dog to be let outside to do their business. Get her a box with some good odor-neutralising litter; then you won't need to worry about letting her out and coaxing her back inside.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BottledBodhisvata posted:

loving

CATS.

So, I have a new member to my household, which is my girlfriend's cat. This was a semi-stray cat whom she rescued from living around her old apartment. Cute cat, real sweet. So we're moving in together and she wants to take the cat.

So we brought the cat over, which took a lot of doing to get the drat thing into its kitty taxi, to adjust to the place. Since it's been here, it spends most of its time hiding up inside the closet. It comes out at night to wander around (it's a girl cat, dunno why I'm being gender neutral). We haven't put down a pet deposit yet, so we're trying to keep it on the downlow until we have the money.

Except, this was an outdoor cat who would inform us when she wanted to be let out, and she'd go out whenever she pleased, and she'd do her business out there. Now she's out of her element and that means I have to deal with cat pee.

I hate cat pee. And worse yet, she's taken to pissing on the bed. She's already done it once, and we stripped and washed the linens, and now she wakes me up at 5 a.m. with purring, so I go and let her outside. She runs around out there for about fifteen, twenty minutes. After awhile I use some cat food to coax her back inside. She eats the food, wanders around the apartment, and promptly takes a poo poo on the bed.

• First, can you do area control? As in, only allow the cat to hang out in 1 or 2 rooms until it's clear they know where the litterbox is and use it. This is normally recommended when introducing a cat to a place so that becomes their home turf and safe area, and so they get where the litterbox is. This should also be an area that's easy to clean and a place you can leave the cat alone in, so as such, this should not be your bedroom. This can also determine whether they have issues with the litterbox itself, which you should then look into solving.
  • Get enzymatic cleaner specifically for cat pee both for carpet and for laundry (don't know if they're the same or separate currently)
  • Get a Feliway diffuser or two and put them in the rooms where the litterbox isn't. This helps reduce peeing/making GBS threads due to being stressed out, which may be a thing since you're in a new place.
  • Try getting some Litter Attract; it's apparently a magnet for cats when they want to piss or poo poo.
  • Last, it's back to area control: if you're not in the room with them, the bedroom door should be closed and off-limits to the cat. When you leave home, you make sure the cat's out of the bedroom and you close the door. This will help limit where the pee goes and reduces the chance it's going to be where you sleep, which is what we want to minimize.
  • If weird peeing/making GBS threads continues, consider a trip to the vet to make sure nothing's wrong with the cat in the first place.
  • Other than that, I'm guessing the cat food smell issue is because you feed wet; dry food doesn't smell at all in comparison, and may be an option. Just make sure you have an ample supply of fresh water available; you could just dump/fill a bowl daily and that'd be fine.

Just saw ^^^, you must have a litterbox if your cat's going to be indoors, this isn't even a choice. Scoop daily and smell shouldn't really be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom just adopted a 5 year old cat from the Humane Society so that her current cat could have a friend. It's only been a few days but it seems that they are slowly but surely getting comfortable with each other.

However, the cat that we adopted seems to have a bump around its stomach area. The new cat is always full of energy and does not seem to be in pain so we're not sure what the bump is but to be honest it kind of feels like the cat has not been neutered and still has its testicles. That's what it feels like at least - and whenever I gently put my hand over or under his stomach, he gets very uncomfortable. We are planning on calling the Humane society on Monday when they open but was wondering if anyone here had any idea what this could be?