Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

The entire video is so full of eye popping moments I wasn't sure which one you meant so I had to go back and watch it again. That guy js such a beast! I plan on watching the series when I've got a lot of time to kill or a long trip, but who am I kidding I'm sure I'll "just watch a bit" in a day or two and end up watching it straight through.

It's all measure once, cut once...

Also language thing that randomly caught my attention, "throughcross the country".

Munin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I watched a part where they cut a whole in the floor sheating for a vent. They measured once but said the measurements outloud a bunch to stay accurate. Really even the few parts I randomly landed on where amazing.

"Here's how you can hand nail yourself." I'm sure if a beginner tried to do it his way they'd hit their fingers more often than not.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Munin posted:

It's all measure once, cut once...

I watched him eyeball a beam and end up with a cut more accurate than I get measuring...

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It's more "practice for 50 years, measure 0 times, cut once, be perfect."

I think Larry should be the patron saint of this thread.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zhentar posted:

I watched him eyeball a beam and end up with a cut more accurate than I get measuring...

Yeah, if I tried the same approach as he shows here I'd end up with a spare few inches all over the place by the time I got to the end of the building and the likes. Not to mention that wood tends to split as soon as I look at it.

Btw, here is someone geeking out about framing to account for modern insulation practices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYqgdLB10pE

[edit] And surely the patron saint of this thread should be the very opposite of Larry Haun. You need the very embodiment of a lovely DIYing PO and flipper.

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 3, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Munin posted:

[edit] And surely the patron saint of this thread should be the very opposite of Larry Haun. You need the very embodiment of a lovely DIYing PO and flipper.

That's not how patron saints work. Larry protects the people in this thread, not the horrifying things we see. POs don't get a saint.

e: and if they did, it would be a realtor or a half-assed home inspector.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a bit odd that he goes through the trouble of making sure the joists line up with the wall studs but still uses the double top plate. The point of that is so you only need a single top plate.

And he undersells 2x6 on 24" centers. It uses less lumber than 2x4s 16" OC, it is structurally stronger, reduces framing labor, leaves room for more insulation, less drilling and more space for electricians, plumbers. The benefits of it are tremendous, but only 10% of new construction does it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Munin posted:

Yeah, it would have to be someone who had like, I dunno, really well insulated stairs or something.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Zhentar posted:

It's a bit odd that he goes through the trouble of making sure the joists line up with the wall studs but still uses the double top plate. The point of that is so you only need a single top plate.

And he undersells 2x6 on 24" centers. It uses less lumber than 2x4s 16" OC, it is structurally stronger, reduces framing labor, leaves room for more insulation, less drilling and more space for electricians, plumbers. The benefits of it are tremendous, but only 10% of new construction does it.

But he's going to spend a boatload on lumber because he's framing a house with precut stud/shear heights, and he wouldn't be able to order them.

Advanced framing has applications, but it's proponents often forget about other subs and labor cost in an effort to minimize lumber to the Nth degree.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Zhentar posted:

Why not 2x8 on 32" centers? or 2x12 on 48" centers?

is it because it reduces interior space and makes life hard

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

JGdmn posted:

But he's going to spend a boatload on lumber because he's framing a house with precut stud/shear heights, and he wouldn't be able to order them.

Advanced framing has applications, but it's proponents often forget about other subs and labor cost in an effort to minimize lumber to the Nth degree.

I actually agree that the single top plate is more trouble than it's worth, I'm just confused because he took on half of that trouble anyway (though I would disagree that buying 96" studs and cutting off a couple inches instead of buying is going to cost dramatically more for lumber or labor).

froward posted:

Why not 2x8 on 32" centers? or 2x12 on 48" centers?

is it because it reduces interior space and makes life hard

Going past 24" centers creates a lot of new problems (studs don't align with 4' sheet goods, sheet goods have long unsupported spans, no prescriptive engineering tables), and you get diminishing returns for reducing your framing factor because you need the same framing around doors and windows regardless of stud spacing.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Zhentar posted:

I actually agree that the single top plate is more trouble than it's worth, I'm just confused because he took on half of that trouble anyway (though I would disagree that buying 96" studs and cutting off a couple inches instead of buying is going to cost dramatically more for lumber or labor).

Current 92 1/4" - 395

Current 8' - 480 (+cut cost)

Only a $150 a house or so (not taking into account the labor of cutting those 300 studs), but if you're doing a large tract it'll cut in. Lumber is so volatile that it's hard to say "this is always worth it".

Of course I'm in an odd market, and never discount the weird differences in regional framing, and what customers want or don't give a gently caress about.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Which one of you guys posted this at Reddit?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

My dad, who was a woodworker back in the day, died on Saturday. I'm getting drunk tonight and watching all of these videos in his memory.

Thanks y'all. :)

Also spent the last several days at my grandma's house. I'm preeeeeety sure that the carport addition shouldn't have the supporting beams be resting half off the concrete slab and not attached to anything, but what do I know?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Please tell me this stuff isn't as janky as it looks. On a scale of 1 to ten pry bars, how screwed would I be if I bought this house?

Water damage along the baseboards. This is in Colorado, so at least it's very dry up here most of the time.

More water damage.

This is the bad kind of wiring, right?

That's not up to code, is it? (Leading to septic drain)

Uhh

But the rest looked pretty good

The sides are supported by cinderblock walls. The center piers are mostly stacked blocks...

But these ones look scary to me.

Is that legit?

I'm guessing no.

Electrical things

Inside the back of the main panel (is this at all helpful?)

This soooorta kinda looks like it could flood through the door. Notice the awesome drain from the washer, through the door, to the ground outside

The upside is that it looks like this on the outside during the daytime:

Radbot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Radbot posted:

Please tell me this stuff isn't as janky as it looks. On a scale of 1 to ten pry bars, how screwed would I be if I bought this house?

[pictures]

I'm getting some strong 'run, do not walk' vibes from that subfloor.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
gently caress, that's what I figured. We didn't see the subfloor well during our last visit but it looks like it's toast doesn't it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jeherrin posted:

I'm getting some strong 'run, do not walk' vibes from that subfloor.

I'm getting 'walk, don't run' vibes.

That's fear of falling through.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tyson Tomko posted:

Damnit I just blew 30 minutes watching that video too, man I love that guy. The way he cuts beams with his circular saw (pipe cutter style) is badass too. I have no idea if this is common practice or not but he does it effortlessly.

I've often cut 4x4s with a drop-saw and not managed to do them as square as he can do with a Skil saw.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Radbot posted:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but a cinder block on its side ( [_I_] ) like that is not meant to be in that orientation to have its proper strength.
Plus it's just resting on dirt not anything solid or permanent.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Regarding the wiring, there's nothing inherently bad about braided cloth NM. It's just old.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SynthOrange posted:

drat at 39:00 :eyepop:

That's like watching my grandfather work. He was an absolute wizard with hand tools.

He'd use a hand saw where most would use a circular saw, and I'm pretty sure that everything he built will outlive me.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I reckon 29:48 in this video is even more impressive, bam bam bam and the blocking is nailed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQH00055Fw

Been having fun spotting the differences in how things are done over there compared to what I know of here in Australia. The videos look like they were filmed a while ago, are things still done the same way now?

Also have this book coming from amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Carpenters-Life-Told-Houses/dp/1600854028/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: poor flooring supports, to me it just looks like the guy had some creaking floors or normal house settling he just took care of himself by propping up the floor joists. Not the most professional job mind you, but probably just good enough to get rid of the sag/noise.

If you're concerned, obviously get a structural engineer to inspect it, but to me just looks like normal old house stuff and joe blow good 'nuff fixes. I mean, you're pretty much screwed nomatter what house you buy, but at least you've got the best backyard you could ever hope for. Only thing you can't fix on a house is location.

And the older wiring is fine, just fifties/sixties stuff. There's probably no ground wire in there, but you can replace it piecemeal and use the existing wiring to run new 14-2/ 12-2 romex. Just tie old wiring to new and pull the new stuff straight through. Or you could replace the first receptacle at the end point with a gfci and get ground protection that way. Mainly, it wouldn't hurt to update your panel and add a couple of circuits for high draw areas (ie kitchen, living room) if it's not already updated. It's weird everything is wire nutted together behind the panel, but that might be ok, I wouldn't know enough to tell you. Ideally your circuits should connect straight to the breaker/bus bars. I'd personally spend the extra 1500$ (or so) and have an electrician upgrade your main panel to the twenty first century. AFCI's are awesome, and they even make combination GFCI/AFCI breakers now that'll protect the entire circuit from arcing (main cause of electrical fires) and ground faults (eg you) all in the same breaker. Peace of mind and all that. I would highly highly recommend going to your library and checking out Black and Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring and Codes for Homeowners. Easy and straightforward to read, plus tons of pictures and diagrams. Popular Mechanics Homeowners Guide is also something you should 100% have in your library.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'll keep y'all posted with my inspection and engineering report. Taking all bets on "that's just a crappy fix for a sagging floor" and "oh my god, are you trying to kill me by bringing me into this building".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Enourmo posted:

It's like that bricklaying video, so goddamn soothing.

For those that have not seen it: http://www.wimp.com/cinderblocks/

There's just something about watching an expert at work.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Radbot posted:

I'll keep y'all posted with my inspection and engineering report. Taking all bets on "that's just a crappy fix for a sagging floor" and "oh my god, are you trying to kill me by bringing me into this building".

Also, with regards to your septic picture, that it is perfectly acceptable to use a neoprene compression fitting to join cast iron to pvc. Replacing the original cast iron with a disparate material is normally accomplished with a banded fitting, eg neoprene or with a gasket insert.

E: Traditionally, cast iron was joined with oakum rope pushed around the union, followed by lead melted into the joint. poo poo is a lot easier nowadays.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 5, 2015

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Is this an overflowing water tank? Is that what I'm looking at?

At first I thought you were demonstrating its woeful lack of gutters to redirect rainfall, and then I noticed the blue sky. :downs:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is this an overflowing water tank? Is that what I'm looking at?
I guess. I saw this when I was out walking today. There were no signs anywhere around the place except for a chlorine warning on a door of that support building. The overflow had stopped by the time I walked back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

insta posted:

4000 kWh consumed in its lifetime.

I have some 60W GE Reveal bulbs in my ceiling fan in my bedroom, which is hooked up to a soft-dimmer. They ramp up in brightness (over about a second) and ramp down as well. I still have the same set of bulbs from when I moved in, in 2007, and they are still just as bright. One went out when my wife knocked over a stepstool and it smacked the floor ... I'd replace it, but its the one that points at our faces while we're lying in bed, so it hasn't been a huge priority. Still, the remaining three have easily 2000 hours of life and 4000 on/off cycles on them :catstare:

GE Reveals last like motherfuckers. I put some in my bedroom when I moved in six years ago, and they're still going strong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watch that first step

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A good post from PYF.

Parts Kit posted:

Well at least the last guy only slid on grass so he wasn't de-skinned as much as he would have been on the pavement.

ed: DIY gently caress ups. That's a pot of molten lead at 0:25 by the way. Wanna talk about a loving close call, christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70DQT2VY9I

:eyepop:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
live and learn: preheat your poo poo if you don't like steam explosions

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SynthOrange posted:

Watch that first step

I like that they went with a fancy door, rather than the plain smooth one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

canyoneer posted:

A good post from PYF.

I'm incredibly disappointed that the video contained nothing about the chariot in the freeze frame.

e: and the first autocomplete when I typed "mot" on YouTube was "motorcycle chariot." Looks like I'm not the only one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

canyoneer posted:

A good post from PYF.

"This is retarded!" Seconds later: "OOOOOOHHHHHHH!"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

A good post from PYF.

1:53 tree stump was great

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NancyPants posted:

1:53 tree stump was great

An immediate and hilarious display of cause and effect. And because the car was still driving forward, it gave an extra little beat of anticipation where the stump caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Watch that first step

I'd say it was Asia, but there's a rain pipe, so I'm going with Eastern Europe.